Big-12 Title picture...

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Sep 9, 2013
"Half the Big-12 already has 2 conference losses and we can expect Baylor and West Virginia to join that group shortly"

Define shortly. WVU will lose a 2nd game somewhere, but i highly doubt it's in the next 3 games.
And bc of injuries and COVID, you cant really look too far ahead. just last season, OSU was without any of its 3 headed monster on offense and its defense was run off the field after being worn down by the Sooners.

OSU is obviously a favorite to make the ccg, but there's a lot of football left. TCU and WVU are capable of beating any team in the big 12 on a given day. I cant recall when kstate last beat WVU and I can assure you it wont be this year. WVU and TCU are not likely to make the ccg, but i think they both have a large say in who does.

WVU has 2 starting offensive linemen out today due to "contact tracing." Wont matter against kansas, but these are the things that can kill you.

Last edited:

Cimarron

It's not dying I'm talking about, it's living.
Jun 28, 2007
Good day for KU to get a conference win. I like seeing them in a tie with OU and TX at the bottom of the big 12.

Cimarron

Jun 28, 2007
Did I see BU is having homecoming and large crowds on campus today?

Cimarron

Jun 28, 2007
There is only one Big 12 game today, KU vs West Virginia. Thanks a lot, Baylor, scum of the conference.

They won’t play football but they can do this. This is why they can’t play football. Lack of institutional control.
https://twitter.com/BUFootball/status/1317295768798220289
That is their stadium today packed with people?

If this is true they should be forced to forfeit the OSU/BU game that was scheduled for today.

Sort of like staying home sick, if you're too sick to go to school, you're too sick to go to the amusement park....

CPTNQUIRK

I'm Your Captain!
A/V Subscriber
Nov 20, 2006
In the Boondocks in Creek County, Oklahoma
That is their stadium today packed with people?

If this is true they should be forced to forfeit the OSU/BU game that was scheduled for today.

Sort of like staying home sick, if you're too sick to go to school, you're too sick to go to the amusement park....
According to the timestamp on the tweet, it was at 9:46 last night.

IMO, they should be kicked out of the conference for multiple instances of lack of institutional control. Replace them with UCF.

Cimarron

Jun 28, 2007
If I understand the tie breaker rules correctly then yes we can add 2013 for a fourth year OSU would have qualified for the Big 12 Championship.

That would be four of nine seasons OSU would have been in the Big 12 Championship game.

Cimarron

Jun 28, 2007
According to the timestamp on the tweet, it was at 9:46 last night.

IMO, they should be kicked out of the conference for multiple instances of lack of institutional control. Replace them with UCF.
You just want a trip to Florida every other year.

But yes, Baylor's lack of control over their sports programs is problematic. I don't know if it's alumni that's the issue or what?

Also, they built a stadium over what was at one time a good country dance hall!!!

gundysburner

Banned
Banned
Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
You just want a trip to Florida every other year.

But yes, Baylor's lack of control over their sports programs is problematic. I don't know if it's alumni that's the issue or what?

Also, they built a stadium over what was at one time a good country dance hall!!!
I ran across some stuff on the Baylor/Briles fiasco earlier this week, & it's a bigger mess than we all thought.

In short, their investigation really zeroed in on football players. Out of 100 complaints, 8 involved athletes, 5 involved football players. According to their own depositions, they only investigated the 5 involving football players.

Fwiw, G.F. Bunting is a PR firm Baylor hired after the oral-only report was given by Pepper Hamilton, the firm they hired to investigate. Power brokers at Baylor were infuriated by the report, hired G.F. Bunting to 'change the narrative' & voila! more accusations surfaced.

"G.F. Bunting worked with a Wall Street Journal reporter with ties to Waco and the board of regents to get a story out detailing additional sexual-assault allegations involving Baylor football players. Five months after Pepper Hamilton filed its oral report and Baylor fired Briles, the Wall Street Journal reported that Pepper Hamilton uncovered 17 instances of sexual or domestic assault, including four gang rapes, by 19 Baylor football players.

The WSJ story canceled Art Briles and relieved the pressure on the board of regents.

During a six-hour deposition, Ronald Murff, the former chairman of Baylor’s board of regents, admitted that the school’s legal department, not Pepper Hamilton, discovered the additional allegations reported in the WSJ, and that those allegations surfaced after Briles was fired.

In a deposition , Cannon noted the Wall Street Journal article was published just weeks after Baylor hired G.F. Bunting. Cannon asked Murff if he realized that WSJ reporter Brad Reagan was a relative of Baylor vice president Reagan Ramsower, the administrator who oversaw the school’s much-maligned campus police department. Murff claimed he did not know of the connection. Reagan was raised in Waco and once worked at the Waco-Tribune Herald. His late grandfather, Bud Trippet, served as Baylor’s team doctor.

“That’s pretty slick, isn’t it?” Cannon said to Murff in the deposition reviewed by OutKick.

“It just happens that The Wall Street Journal (article was) written by one of your chief financial officer’s kinfolks (who) just happened to call y’all … right after Bunting was hired. Right? Am I getting it right?”

Cannon called Baylor’s efforts “a smear campaign.” Former Bears athletic director Ian McCaw agreed.

“I hate to admit it, but it worked,” said McCaw, who is now the athletic director at Liberty. “Before that article, Art would’ve been a challenging hire. After it, he was unhireable.”

I might be misremembering it, but I believe only 1 football player was convicted, ultimately. Think it took a jury 2 hours to overturn Shawn Oakman's initial conviction.

Anyways, not a Briles fan or defender, but there's a reason they sent him away with $16 million.

OctaviusRexLTH

Cowboy
A/V Subscriber
Aug 16, 2019
Alabama
I ran across some stuff on the Baylor/Briles fiasco earlier this week, & it's a bigger mess than we all thought.

In short, their investigation really zeroed in on football players. Out of 100 complaints, 8 involved athletes, 5 involved football players. According to their own depositions, they only investigated the 5 involving football players.

Fwiw, G.F. Bunting is a PR firm Baylor hired after the oral-only report was given by Pepper Hamilton, the firm they hired to investigate. Power brokers at Baylor were infuriated by the report, hired G.F. Bunting to 'change the narrative' & voila! more accusations surfaced.

"G.F. Bunting worked with a Wall Street Journal reporter with ties to Waco and the board of regents to get a story out detailing additional sexual-assault allegations involving Baylor football players. Five months after Pepper Hamilton filed its oral report and Baylor fired Briles, the Wall Street Journal reported that Pepper Hamilton uncovered 17 instances of sexual or domestic assault, including four gang rapes, by 19 Baylor football players.

The WSJ story canceled Art Briles and relieved the pressure on the board of regents.

During a six-hour deposition, Ronald Murff, the former chairman of Baylor’s board of regents, admitted that the school’s legal department, not Pepper Hamilton, discovered the additional allegations reported in the WSJ, and that those allegations surfaced after Briles was fired.

In a deposition , Cannon noted the Wall Street Journal article was published just weeks after Baylor hired G.F. Bunting. Cannon asked Murff if he realized that WSJ reporter Brad Reagan was a relative of Baylor vice president Reagan Ramsower, the administrator who oversaw the school’s much-maligned campus police department. Murff claimed he did not know of the connection. Reagan was raised in Waco and once worked at the Waco-Tribune Herald. His late grandfather, Bud Trippet, served as Baylor’s team doctor.

“That’s pretty slick, isn’t it?” Cannon said to Murff in the deposition reviewed by OutKick.

“It just happens that The Wall Street Journal (article was) written by one of your chief financial officer’s kinfolks (who) just happened to call y’all … right after Bunting was hired. Right? Am I getting it right?”

Cannon called Baylor’s efforts “a smear campaign.” Former Bears athletic director Ian McCaw agreed.

“I hate to admit it, but it worked,” said McCaw, who is now the athletic director at Liberty. “Before that article, Art would’ve been a challenging hire. After it, he was unhireable.”

I might be misremembering it, but I believe only 1 football player was convicted, ultimately. Think it took a jury 2 hours to overturn Shawn Oakman's initial conviction.

Anyways, not a Briles fan or defender, but there's a reason they sent him away with $16 million.
so yeah....all of them suck and are willing to throw anyone under the bus to get away with their crimes.

Briles deserves what he got and more (aside from the huge check), but he was not even close to being the only problem. It's not just the athletic department, Baylor is the problem.

Last edited:

gundysburner

Banned
Banned
Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
so yeah....all of them suck and are willing to throw anyone under the bus to get away with their crimes.

Briles deserves what he got and more, but he was not even close to being the only problem. It's not just the athletic department, Baylor is the problem.
No doubt, shadiness all around there.

I'll readily admit I had never heard some of the stuff they orchestrated behind the scenes, though.

Apr 7, 2006
I just haven't figured out who Baylor has working with the NCAA. That's the last missing piece in the story for me, because there's nothing rational that explains how they didn't get a Penn State type punishment.

Feb 5, 2007
Tulsa, OK
I just haven't figured out who Baylor has working with the NCAA. That's the last missing piece in the story for me, because there's nothing rational that explains how they didn't get a Penn State type punishment.
Who’s on the inside of the big xii for them to? There is no reason they haven’t been kicked out of the conference.