Big 12 recruiting

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Sep 9, 2013
This from 247 sports, WVU site:

Teal Chip Ratio. Over the years, West Virginia's ratio has hovered right around the 50-percent mark, bottoming out at 40.2-percent in 2017, but rising since the arrival of Neal Brown. Earlier this week, I wrote about how the Mountaineers are now nearing 80-percent - a new record.

Here's the thing, though. It's all relative. I went through the signing lists from the 2018, 2019, 2020, and 2021 classes for each team in the Big 12. Here are the percentages for each school detailing just how many Teal Chip recruits they've signed.

1. Oklahoma - 96.5%
2. Texas - 92.6%
3. West Virginia - 79.2%
4. TCU - 77.4%
5. Baylor - 68.3%
6. Oklahoma State - 67.4%
7. Iowa State - 51.8%
8. Texas Tech - 42.7%
9. Kansas State - 35.9%
10. Kansas - 25.5%

OctaviusRexLTH

Deputy
A/V Subscriber
Aug 16, 2019
Alabama
This from 247 sports, WVU site:

Teal Chip Ratio. Over the years, West Virginia's ratio has hovered right around the 50-percent mark, bottoming out at 40.2-percent in 2017, but rising since the arrival of Neal Brown. Earlier this week, I wrote about how the Mountaineers are now nearing 80-percent - a new record.

Here's the thing, though. It's all relative. I went through the signing lists from the 2018, 2019, 2020, and 2021 classes for each team in the Big 12. Here are the percentages for each school detailing just how many Teal Chip recruits they've signed.

1. Oklahoma - 96.5%
2. Texas - 92.6%
3. West Virginia - 79.2%
4. TCU - 77.4%
5. Baylor - 68.3%
6. Oklahoma State - 67.4%
7. Iowa State - 51.8%
8. Texas Tech - 42.7%
9. Kansas State - 35.9%
10. Kansas - 25.5%
The only input I'd have about it this is I'd probably put the cutoff for "teal chip" around 0.87 instead of 0.85. it seems like recruits over 0.87 are more sought after by P5 schools who play some respectable football. I don't really see a whole lot of difference in recruits between 0.83-0.85, they generally seem to get the same kind of offers.

Jostate

Bluecolla's sock
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
Waiting for the "stars don't mean anything" comments.

:popcorn:
They don't.

And looks don't matter, and money can't buy happiness.

:whistle:

But you have to admit UT and OSU have proven they aren't the only path to success, for opposite reasons. As an OU fan you probably don't know this but OSU has had some pretty good success over the last 15 years, in most of the games that aren't Bedlam. And yes we do actually play games against other teams.

Boomer.....

Territorial Marshal
Feb 15, 2007
OKC
They don't.

And looks don't matter, and money can't buy happiness.

:whistle:

But you have to admit UT and OSU have proven they aren't the only path to success, for opposite reasons. As an OU fan you probably don't know this but OSU has had some pretty good success over the last 15 years, in most of the games that aren't Bedlam. And yes we do actually play games against other teams.
There is a lot to be said about Gundy’s recruiting and development. He does more with lesser known/rated players than probably anyone in the country. I totally give him props.

However, just imagine what the program would look like if he was pulling in Top 15 or 20 recruiting classes consistently. He has admitted that he won’t try to recruit against the blue bloods, but why? How do you expect to get over the hill without giving it your all?

OctaviusRexLTH

Deputy
A/V Subscriber
Aug 16, 2019
Alabama
There is a lot to be said about Gundy’s recruiting and development. He does more with lesser known/rated players than probably anyone in the country. I totally give him props.

However, just imagine what the program would look like if he was pulling in Top 15 or 20 recruiting classes consistently. He has admitted that he won’t try to recruit against the blue bloods, but why? How do you expect to get over the hill without giving it your all?
I think OSU is at least capable of being consistently top 25-30. Then if they win a few more games with those recruits top 20-25.
I was disgruntled with the recruiting rankings for awhile, I thought Gundy just didnt want to do all the crap high school kids like, but I like the trajectory now. I think Todd Bradford and Jim knowles were fantastic hires

Dec 16, 2019
Stillwater

I think some of that has to do with our recruiting budget to begin with, much of the time Gundy is having to play catch up with the other programs and may feel like his time can be well spend on other recruits.

TheMonkey

Territorial Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Sep 16, 2004
DFW
I think some of that has to do with our recruiting budget to begin with, much of the time Gundy is having to play catch up with the other programs and may feel like his time can be well spend on other recruits.
This. It’s easy to say he doesn’t care or doesn’t try hard enough. The reality is he, and the rest of the staff, can only do so much with a limited budget. During the pandemic, he has closed the gap some since everyone’s travel was limited.

ScooberJake

Territorial Marshal
Jul 13, 2004
Denver, CO
I don't think the comment was about "not giving it your all", though a lot of Cowboy fans think it was. It's more just numbers. If OSU went hard after a bunch of 5-star players, we might get 1 out of 30 in a four year period. That is a lot of time, effort, and money spent for very little return. And all the while, the "high three-star recruits" that we can more reliably sign and develop have chosen Tech or Baylor who gave them more attention while we held the roster spot open for the unicorn.

I don't think Gundy was wrong on that. But is there another option between the two? Make a push for a few four-star guys early, see if you can get on a roll, but play it safer as the process moves along and sign the three-star kids without holding open a spot for higher rated guys? I don't know. But we've got to find a way to do better, somehow. It really seems like we have not capitalized very well on our last decade of success. (The pessimist in me says that's because in modern college football it's just not possible for a team to move up in the pecking order. The results seem to bear that out, with Clemson being the exception.)