Big 12 Realignment thread, 2021 version

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

What conference would you like to see OSU join?

• ACC

• Big Ten

• PAC-12

• Expanded Big 12

• Other (please explain)

Results are only viewable after voting.

ScooberJake

Territorial Marshal
Jul 13, 2004
Denver, CO
In the infamous words of Mike Gundy…this effort is like throwing deck chairs off the Titanic. Collegiate athletics in the purest sense is over and NCAA is meaningless.

There might be a Super Semi Pro league created called the SEC…for a short time while the ship slowly sinks. Portal and NIL ignited the fuse. Kids will look for the best deal year to year. You will probably have 50-75% player turnover each year. The concept of teamwork and university spirit will slowly fade away. Then what do you have left?…semi-pro league with a revolving door and a lot of young adults with shattered dreams of a large athletic payday and no college education.

Go Chiefs!!!
+1 This is where it's headed, unless somebody with power makes a big turn. Maybe this still results in a lot more money for the SEC and B1G schools, but it will kill college athletics as a whole. Nobody is going to care anymore.

ScooberJake

Territorial Marshal
Jul 13, 2004
Denver, CO
I put this together. I think this is the best case scenario if OU and Texas make the move. Berry Trammel stated that PAC-12 won't take a religious school, so Baylor is left without a home here (TCU isn't truly religious in spite of their name).
View attachment 91076
Interesting that only Baylor gets left out in this scenario. And all this after winning a NC in basketball and significant football success over the last 10 years. (Although, I'm not 100% convinced they wouldn't take Baylor over KSU. If this is all about money, Baylor wins that battle hands down.)

RutherfordFan

Federal Marshal
Feb 5, 2008
Oklahoma City
Both looking to become the next Nebraska, I guess. My God in Heaven, I don't understand this strategy.
OU wont be no. They are a blue blood in football. Reason money money money and 12 team playoff. No reason for ou and texas not to jump. Before there was a reason. League will be over in 3 years. Or Big 12 as it is now.

Sep 9, 2013
If Pokes and others aren't invited to the Pac-12, this would be a potential conference.

View attachment 91078
Cinn is a short drive from morgantown, cinn WVU memphis USF
Throw ucf in with kansas schools and ISu--theyll want the florida recruiting.
to make travel easier, USF, UCF play each year .

or you could have designated rivals who play each year wvu-cinn and keep it as is.

Dec 9, 2013
I put this together. I think this is the best case scenario if OU and Texas make the move. Berry Trammel stated that PAC-12 won't take a religious school, so Baylor is left without a home here (TCU isn't truly religious in spite of their name).
View attachment 91076
This is what I’ve been hoping for since the last realignment. I would be happy never to play uo in any sport ever again unless it’s playoffs. Create a 64 team super league in quads and conferences/divisions. You have a brother quad that you play every year and then rotate the other quad every 2 yrs (so you get a home and home). Winner of each quad auto qualifies and you have a 4 team “conf play off” on campus. Conf champ moves on to an 8 team playoff w 4 auto bids and 4 at large bids w no more than 2 teams from any one conf.

kaboy42

Territorial Marshal
May 2, 2007
Yea, I think the only way a scenario like this doesn't come to pass is if the big boys realize it's in their long term interests to keep the OSU's of the world in the game. Otherwise, widespread fan support will deteriorate and people will move on and support their favorite NFL teams. I think hubris and short term interests win the day though, and your projection will come true.
I could also see widespread fan support deteriorating and people moving on to... nothing. College Football is the only reason I actually own a TV (or for the occassional movie viewing... and I guess to binge watch Yellowstone). This goes the way everyone is dreading it to go, I'll just give up college football and I'll have my entire fall weekends to do what ever I want. Hiking, kayaking, camping, traveling, wrenching around on a car project... etc... I haven't watched a NFL game in 25+ years. Not that I want to lose CFB, but this sure could be the straw that breaks the camel's back and I'd officially be done.

Jul 31, 2008
One one hand I can see the fear and downside to potentially not being in a power 5 conf. Obviously less money and visibility. However, I can see the potential upside too. We recruit football like we’ve been in the mountain west the whole time (ie underrated guys). If we can maintain our current level, we would be at the top of the new conference in football. Basketball would still be a good conference, and it’s been proven you can win big in smaller conferences. Golf and wrestling are still in the same boat. Baseball takes a hit, but would still be a solid conference. Not getting an annual ass whipping in football from ou would be a nice change of pace. Some thing had to change eventually, the big 12 has been stagnant since the last round of realignment. The current group of schools is not sustainable long term.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Alot of that is true. But doubt there's an OSU fan out there that doesn't enjoy the banter with 0U, uT, SEC, etc. fans. I've always felt a little sorry for my co-workers who are uH or Texas State alums and kind of left out of the fun. Now we'll be like uH.

Nov 6, 2010
I could also see widespread fan support deteriorating and people moving on to... nothing. College Football is the only reason I actually own a TV (or for the occassional movie viewing... and I guess to binge watch Yellowstone). This goes the way everyone is dreading it to go, I'll just give up college football and I'll have my entire fall weekends to do what ever I want. Hiking, kayaking, camping, traveling, wrenching around on a car project... etc... I haven't watched a NFL game in 25+ years. Not that I want to lose CFB, but this sure could be the straw that breaks the camel's back and I'd officially be done.
Absolutely, especially when you consider the trend of people cutting the cord and going ala cart for their viewing options. I can promise you if they blow up college athletics, I'll not be adding ESPN to my cart. I'll get a lot more fishing in for sure.

Nov 6, 2010
Alot of that is true. But doubt there's an OSU fan out there that doesn't enjoy the banter with 0U, uT, SEC, etc. fans. I've always felt a little sorry for my co-workers who are uH or Texas State alums and kind of left out of the fun. Now we'll be like uH.
I'd happily live the rest of my life without engaging another ou fan.

Rixaroo

Deputy
A/V Subscriber
Jun 16, 2011
OKC
www.weekendwatchguide.com
No. You dont know how this works. No crappy teams. BYU yes. Gotta be power 5 kiddo. Not trying be group of 5.
Kiddo?
BYU isn't Power 5. Why hasn't B12 invited BYU in last decade?
My thinking is that in the 12 team playoff era, being the champion of a 16 team league gets you in. Being a champion of this league guarantees you nothing.
Screen Shot 2021-07-22 at 12.55.13 PM.png

osupsycho

MAXIMUM EFFORT!!!
A/V Subscriber
Apr 20, 2005
Valhalla
Kiddo?
BYU isn't Power 5. Why hasn't B12 invited BYU in last decade?
My thinking is that in the 12 team playoff era, being the champion of a 16 team league gets you in. Being a champion of this league guarantees you nothing. View attachment 91080
BYU comes with a lot of problems like them not allowing sporting events on Sunday and them already having their own TV network was a big problem.

Nov 6, 2010
BYU comes with a lot of problems like them not allowing sporting events on Sunday and them already having their own TV network was a big problem.
If we're left in a position where keeping the Big XII afloat is our only option, those issues will be overlooked.

Dec 16, 2019
Stillwater
+1 This is where it's headed, unless somebody with power makes a big turn. Maybe this still results in a lot more money for the SEC and B1G schools, but it will kill college athletics as a whole. Nobody is going to care anymore.
Exactly, I have always liked college sports more than professional, it just seemed much more pure. Now with the NIL and players being able to transfer, the love is probably gonna fade for me quite a bit too.

OSUCowboy787

Territorial Marshal
Dec 31, 2008
Keller, Texas
My dream Big 12 if the goons and ut bail out. It would require poaching teams back from the B1G and Pac though

OkState
Tech
TCU
ISU
KU
KSU
WVU
BU
ASU
AU
CU
NU
Cincy

3 others Interchangeable with based on $$$ potential
BYU
UCF
Boise
SMU
UH

Aug 19, 2006
It's hard to imagine what a future without traditional college football would look like. It's not something that appeals to me. When was the last time you watched a minor league baseball game??

Don't discount the massive influence ESPN has on all of these re-alignment decisions. They're just trying to create more marketable matchups to drive tv revenue each week. Texas vs. Florida is bound to attract higher viewership than Texas vs. Texas Tech, at least from football purists.

Not sure what the net long-term effect of destroying conference loyalties will be though. Feels like they're on a path that will ultimately kill college football as we know it today and replace it completely with some sort of made-for-tv product. Count me out.

Rixaroo

Deputy
A/V Subscriber
Jun 16, 2011
OKC
www.weekendwatchguide.com
My dream Big 12 if the goons and ut bail out. It would require poaching teams back from the B1G and Pac though

OkState
Tech
TCU
ISU
KU
KSU
WVU
BU
ASU
AU
CU
NU
Cincy

3 others Interchangeable with based on $$$ potential
BYU
UCF
Boise
SMU
UH
There's exactly a zero point zero chance of the B12 leftovers recruiting a B10/Pac-12 team.

Jul 31, 2008
It's hard to imagine what a future without traditional college football would look like. It's not something that appeals to me. When was the last time you watched a minor league baseball game??

Don't discount the massive influence ESPN has on all of these re-alignment decisions. They're just trying to create more marketable matchups to drive tv revenue each week. Texas vs. Florida is bound to attract higher viewership than Texas vs. Texas Tech, at least from football purists.

Not sure what the net long-term effect of destroying conference loyalties will be though. Feels like they're on a path that will ultimately kill college football as we know it today and replace it completely with some sort of made-for-tv product. Count me out.
Well, Texas vs anyone gets alot of views. Florida vs anyone gets alot of views.
I'd think you get more by showing Texas-TTU and Florida-Central Florida than you do for a single Texas-Florida game.