Big 12 Realignment thread, 2021 version

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

What conference would you like to see OSU join?

• ACC

• Big Ten

• PAC-12

• Expanded Big 12

• Other (please explain)

Results are only viewable after voting.
May 4, 2011
Charleston, SC
I don't see the B1G dropping AAU requirements for the bottom 6 in the PAC. I expect to see announcements that USC, Oregon, etc. will not renew GORs after 23/24 and apply for membership to the B1G. The remaining 6 teams of the PAC will be in worse shape than we are.
I don't know. Even the NFL doesn't ignore geography like this and they have some wonky divisions (see Dallas). No NFL team has a divisional rival more than one time zone away. These teams need more close to them to make this viable. At least 4 and probably something like 6 teams need to be out west (like the NFL) especially with the massive expanse of land between those 4 to 6 teams and their next closest B1G team (Nebraska)

I don't see the B1G dropping AAU requirements for the bottom 6 in the PAC. I expect to see announcements that USC, Oregon, etc. will not renew GORs after 23/24 and apply for membership to the B1G. The remaining 6 teams of the PAC will be in worse shape than we are.
I wouldn't be surprised if the B1G took all 9 AAU members in the PAC (USC, UCLA, Stanford, Cal, Oregon, Wash, Ariz, Colorado, Utah), added KU, and called it quits with the Big 24 Conference. SEC/ESPN would then be on the clock.

OSUCowboy787

Territorial Marshal
Dec 31, 2008
Keller, Texas
I wouldn't be surprised if the B1G took all 9 AAU members in the PAC (USC, UCLA, Stanford, Cal, Oregon, Wash, Ariz, Colorado, Utah), added KU, and called it quits with the Big 24 Conference. SEC/ESPN would then be on the clock.
If that's the case I think we then end up in the SEC with Clemson, FSU, UNC, Duke, Miami, Notre Dame and whoever else to get them to 24

Apr 14, 2008
Texas
oSu (or any other team) should not move to PAC unless there is a conference wide rework of bylaws, GoR, and TV contract revision/extension; otherwise we just risk the same instability when the PAC approaches the end of their TV contract.

Nov 6, 2010
Agreed, we're only included if the teams per conference moves past 20 apiece.
Even then, with both at 24, we're probably out. No way one of the Virginia schools get left out of that. Then if my math is right, that leaves one spot with teams like BC, Ga Tech, NC State, not to mention WVU and the rest of our conference mates. I don't see any way possible for us to get that last slot.

Apr 14, 2008
Texas
If that's the case I think we then end up in the SEC with Clemson, FSU, UNC, Duke, Miami, Notre Dame and whoever else to get them to 24
I hope you're right. But, since the SEC is ESPN's b!tch, I bet they take the top viewerships of the ACC which easily would be ND, Clemson, Virginia, North Carolina, Miami, & Florida State.

We would compete with Pitt, Virginia Tech, Boston College, Georgia Tech, NC State, Syracuse, Louisville, Duke, & Wake Forest for the final 2 slots. I somehow think VTech and maybe Syracuse would get the nod over the others.

Duke Silver

Find safe haven in a warm bathtub full of my jazz.
A/V Subscriber
Sep 17, 2004
Cozy's Bar
Switzer sums up my biggest concern regarding the immediate recruiting implications for OSU:
Barry Switzer Says 1 School Is Hurt Most By Oklahoma, Texas

The faster this all gets sorted out the better. Otherwise, recruiting high-level prospects is going to become increasingly more problematic.
Sad but probably true. The number of top recruits going to SEC has paralleled the conference success and moves into Texas.
Its a load of crap. Arkansas is and has already been in the SEC. This would have already been the case. OU and Texas doesn't make a damn. Good lord, they are basically in the Tulsa metro footprint. They should already be cleaning up if that were true.

Aug 19, 2006
Its a load of crap. Arkansas is and has already been in the SEC. This would have already been the case. OU and Texas doesn't make a damn. Good lord, they are basically in the Tulsa metro footprint. They should already be cleaning up if that were true.
I'm not so worried about Arkansas. It's the bigger picture that concerns me. If you're a 4-star recruit considering OSU, the uncertainly about the caliber of competition we'll be playing stands to be a turn-off. It's not even clear if we'll be playing in a conference with schools in TX two years from now.

Definitely not going to help our 2022 recruiting efforts.

Last edited:

Duke Silver

Find safe haven in a warm bathtub full of my jazz.
A/V Subscriber
Sep 17, 2004
Cozy's Bar
I'm not so worried about Arkansas. It's the bigger picture that concerns me. If you're a 4-star recruit considering OSU, the uncertainly about the caliber of competition we'll be playing is stands to be a turn-off. It's not even clear if we'll be playing in a conference with schools in TX two years from now.

Definitely not going to help our 2022 recruiting efforts.
This is logical. We need to find a spot ASAP