Big 12 Realignment thread, 2021 version

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

What conference would you like to see OSU join?

• ACC

• Big Ten

• PAC-12

• Expanded Big 12

• Other (please explain)

Results are only viewable after voting.
Aug 16, 2012
You can't get arrested for shoplifting if you are still in the store. OU and Texas are still in the conference and have said 2025 is the end date. Regardless of their plans to escape earlier than that, they haven't done anything except piss a bunch of people off. Even if forced back into the Big 12 (which they won't be) OU will just keep winning titles and with a 12 team playoff coming, they will challenge for a natty every year and then waltz into the SEC in a few years with even more shine than they have now.
I disagree with this, because P5 (now 4) isn't guaranteed to mean anything more than now. Say we jump and get into Pac, then USC, UCLA and Oregon say we're out of here. Same boat as we were in, now with even fewer options. The more I see this unfold the more I think the strategy should be to hang onto the current conference through the end of the contract (provided we can force ou and texas to honor it and stay) and use the time to form a long term strategy by gathering as much information as we can to project the landscape in 10-20 years. We need a long term plan, not a desperate knee-jerk reaction.
I cannot fathom the three PAC teams leaving for the SEC. Think we have cultural difference with the PAC? Three time zones different. Fan travel. Team travel. There are so many hurdles they would have to overcome to make it feasible. Least of my worries if we hook up with the PAC. Even behind concerns about getting a tee time at Brandon Dunes the week we play Oregon.

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2010
I cannot fathom the three PAC teams leaving for the SEC. Think we have cultural difference with the PAC? Three time zones different. Fan travel. Team travel. There are so many hurdles they would have to overcome to make it feasible. Least of my worries if we hook up with the PAC. Even behind concerns about getting a tee time at Brandon Dunes the week we play Oregon.
I was more thinking B1G.

Sep 12, 2008
I played Bandon Dunes when it was $75 for the first round and $37.50 for the second and free for the 3rd round. Those were they days!

ScooberJake

Territorial Marshal
Jul 13, 2004
Denver, CO
Yes. This is what that could look like.
Imagine if you are the B1G AD.

This idea of them moving to 16 teams means nothing. You would have two goals: 1) provide maximum revenue for your member schools, and 2) create a conference that can rival the SEC in power, whether this moves to a situation with two super-conferences or a merger into a single super-league.

Not sure I would be pulling in all of those schools, as they probably don't all bring in value. But I'm not just thinking about adding KU and ISU. I'm not just thinking about adding ND. I'm looking to pick off the top half of the ACC if possible (or whatever it takes to kill the conference), or merge with the whole ACC if required. I'm not thinking about getting to 16 teams, that's just a nice number for scheduling, but this isn't about scheduling. I'm looking at 24, 32, or 48, depending on if I'm forced to swallow the whole ACC. I'm looking at USC, Stanford, UCLA, and Oregon. Maybe Kansas in case this move away from the NCAA in football eventually kills the NCAA basketball tournament as well.

But I don't give a crap about ISU or OSU. Maybe some combination of TT/OSU/TCU/Baylor/Houston if somebody can convince me there is value in having a small outpost in the Texas market, generally territory lost to the SEC at this point.

So I agree with those who say the PAC may not be the most stable place to land. But the Big 12 will no longer be a power conference, that is for certain. The PAC is, though it may not be for long. Staying or moving to the AAC will permanently cut our athletic department off at the knees.

If somehow this consolidation stops at the four remaining power conferences, then college athletics can be saved. But based on everything going on, the only reason to do that is purely for the good of college athletics. Clearly nobody with any amount of power in this whole mess is making decisions for that reason (even the NCAA).

Sep 12, 2008
Envy. And thanks for the casual correction. Do not know why I always put in the R.
Sadly I didn't even notice..

1 round at Bandon will set you back a cool $345 through September with the 2nd round clocking in at $175.

One of the most amazing places to go, every golfer should visit at least once. 2 rounds at Bandon still cheaper than 1 round at Pebble Beach.

Nov 6, 2010
yeah, I could see how that would make more sense, but just do not get the impression they are unhappy with the PAC.
I think it's more about remaining relevant/competitive than it is about contentment. Like us, their hand is being forced, but they have options we don't.

OSUCowboy787

Territorial Marshal
Dec 31, 2008
Keller, Texas
I think it's more about remaining relevant/competitive than it is about contentment. Like us, their hand is being forced, but they have options we don't.
True but USC, UCLA etc would also have to contend with their states laws of not being able to travel to 'off limits' states. Meaning MOST of the SEC would have to come out of their own pocket if that was their decision. $$$$$

OSU125

Wrangler
Sep 2, 2014
True but USC, UCLA etc would also have to contend with their states laws of not being able to travel to 'off limits' states. Meaning MOST of the SEC would have to come out of their own pocket if that was their decision. $$$$$
UCLA and Cal would. USC and Stanford are private. So I bet we can figure out way to offset their costs to Come to Stillwater once every four years each.
But yeah, might be more difficult to make work in the SEC when almost all will be forbidden

Jan 2, 2005
What do college "sports" fans want? Wins, Championships, nice facilities & good competition.
What do athletic departments want? BUCK's Anything else is a bonus.

The reality is that the $39mill that the Big "8" have been getting comes from the conference alignment, not fans. The conference get's the BUCK's from entertainment media: ESPN, FOX, CBS, etc. Entertainment media is, and has been, calling the shots since the formation of the CFA.

So, what does Entertainment Media demand? Name Brands.....

None of this should be a surprise. The BIG 12 (with laughably only 10 teams) has been on life support since the departure of Nebraska, Texas A&M, Colorado, and Missouri left in 2011/2012. Would anyone like to argue that Texas Christian and West Virginia are equal to any of those four? They were simply the best the B!G 12 could do and then the brakes were put on expansion due to what? BUCK's. 10 teams splitting the entertainment media contracts was better than 12, 14, etc. An apparent short-sighed decision to focus on the BUCK's was in reality an admission that there were, and still are, no more Name Brands available to drive more BUCK's to the conference.

With the onset of free agency (the so-called transfer portal) and recent court decisions allowing athletes to earn BUCK's from the name and likeness has forever changed the landscape of college sports into a Name Brand sports entertainment factory. No surprise that the two remaining Name Brands are bolting, whether it be in 2022 or 2025, its inevitable. The BIG 12 is dead, Oklahoma and Texas simply decided to pull the plug on the life support.

As a pure sports fan, I personally hate it. The pureness of sport competition was a wonderful thing. But reality is reality. It's now every man for himself and time for us to find the best place for us. Despising the PAC 12, I would prefer the BIG TEN or the ACC. The ACC might be an option but it looks like, for now, the PAC 12 is the most likely.

Just one fan's opinion....

Jostate

Identifies as a Cowboys fan
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
Let's just get it over with and get to the inevitable end result. 4 conferences:

Rust Belt Haves
Confederate Haves
Tree Hugger Haves
Flyover and Left Out Have nots

OSUCowboy787

Territorial Marshal
Dec 31, 2008
Keller, Texas
Let's just get it over with and get to the inevitable end result. 4 conferences:

Rust Belt Haves
Confederate Haves
Tree Hugger Haves
Flyover and Left Out Have nots
I think the end reality is the removal of conferences as we know them and regional schedules. Hell maybe even we see the blue bloods putting their games against each other on PPV to try to make more money and pocket that additional revenue.