Big 12 Realignment thread, 2021 version

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

What conference would you like to see OSU join?

• ACC

• Big Ten

• PAC-12

• Expanded Big 12

• Other (please explain)

Results are only viewable after voting.

CocoCincinnati

Federal Marshal
Feb 7, 2007
Tulsa, OK
I certainly won't mind seeing ESPN reap some consequences over this but think it through. If we end up staying in a conference that is on ESPNs hit list, that's certainly not going to help our long term success...sucks but that's the landscape in college athletics right now.

The big 12 is finished, it might be able to get enough money through legal means to stay relevant for a while but the only long term plan for OSU should be to bolt for the PAC or BIG as soon as possible.

Jan 2, 2005
One thing is for sure, we are witnessing the long slow agonizing death of what was once college football. Destroyed by greed and ruined by the removal of passionate amateur athletic competition. I don't watch the NFL or NBA because it's just a bunch of pampered multi-millionaires playing a game that only matters as it benefits them personally or financially. There's almost no "Team" passion and no loyalty or identification with one team. Gone are the days when Magic or Larry played their entire careers with one team and lived and breathed their team identification. It's a league of detached prima donnas that holds no interest for me.

Now ESPN and other unethical greed merchants are basically doing the same thing to college athletics. The final nail in the coffin was the NIL decision. Would Big Red Sports and Imports have ever believed that what they were doing illegally and under the table would someday become accepted policy? I have a neighbor playing for a really good HS Football team this year (Choctaw), that's where I'll get my pure unadulterated passionate football fix this fall.....oh, and I'll keep my season tickets and watch my Cowboys no matter how putrid it gets (can't wait for the two evil twin college football wrecking bastard teams to come to BPS this year).

The rest I'm done with.
"Money! It's going to ruin sports"
O.B. Keeler, "Bobby Jones: Stroke of Genius"

Nov 6, 2010
You can't get arrested for shoplifting if you are still in the store. OU and Texas are still in the conference and have said 2025 is the end date. Regardless of their plans to escape earlier than that, they haven't done anything except piss a bunch of people off. Even if forced back into the Big 12 (which they won't be) OU will just keep winning titles and with a 12 team playoff coming, they will challenge for a natty every year and then waltz into the SEC in a few years with even more shine than they have now.
This is the most likely outcome if any of this stuff is true. With the light shining this brightly, all sides will probably decide it's best to just be patient and wait out the contract.

Sep 6, 2012
Edmond
Particularly if there is any truth to the reports that ESPN may be looking to pay the exit fees with funds shifted from the LHN contract. That seems pretty cut and dry to me legally. Will be interesting if this is to shift the exit fees back on ou and texas to force them to stay until 2025.
I think that destabilization of the big 12 is the worst part of it. They intentionally hurt a conference to attempt to pay those conference members less money. It also affects the payout for OU and TX for leaving the conference for the 2022 season. Think about how much money ESPN was looking to save. 160 mil buyout and 8 x 40 mil x 5 (years) = 1.6 billion . Straight up collusion. To say that OU and TX knew nothing of this? puhlease.

Nov 25, 2009
Kedah Malaysia
ISU AD said in 2016:

https://www.cbssports.com/college-f...h-sec-american-to-lure-teams-from-conference/

cut/paste

"At 10 [members] we give ourselves a lot more flexibility down the road versus adding maybe members that would only clutter up the process," Pollard said. "People say, 'In eight years, Texas and Oklahoma are going to bolt.' Well, if we added teams and forced it on them, I guarantee they'd bolt. So that's a part of this process that people aren't thinking about.

Nov 6, 2010
Fear that the remaining Big 12 implodes, or that ut/ou find some other way to get out of paying the exit fee, or that the "long, drawn out process" takes too long and ESPN cuts the Big 12 tv $ in the interim puts tremendous pressure on teams that CAN get out and land at a Power 5 conference to take the conference and money and run. Does a school stay with the Big 12, try for the big one time payout and risk missing the opportunity and getting stuck long term in a non-playoff conference for much lower money, basically down-grading their athletic program in the long term? Football $ drive the athletic program, so it would be a downgrade across the board. it's a tough call.

If the school wants to stay in the P5 picture and can move now, I would think they do so, as they risk not be able to sustain the program long enough to get another shot later if they don't move now. Makes sense to me, and I think ESPN is counting on this happening. Once you go from a $34 m program to a $9 m football program it will be tough to recover.

ESPN has basically doomed the Big 12, and they hold the cards. Hence the potential court suit.
I disagree with this, because P5 (now 4) isn't guaranteed to mean anything more than now. Say we jump and get into Pac, then USC, UCLA and Oregon say we're out of here. Same boat as we were in, now with even fewer options. The more I see this unfold the more I think the strategy should be to hang onto the current conference through the end of the contract (provided we can force ou and texas to honor it and stay) and use the time to form a long term strategy by gathering as much information as we can to project the landscape in 10-20 years. We need a long term plan, not a desperate knee-jerk reaction.

OSUCowboy787

Territorial Marshal
Dec 31, 2008
Keller, Texas
I disagree with this, because P5 (now 4) isn't guaranteed to mean anything more than now. Say we jump and get into Pac, then USC, UCLA and Oregon say we're out of here. Same boat as we were in, now with even fewer options. The more I see this unfold the more I think the strategy should be to hang onto the current conference through the end of the contract (provided we can force ou and texas to honor it and stay) and use the time to form a long term strategy by gathering as much information as we can to project the landscape in 10-20 years. We need a long term plan, not a desperate knee-jerk reaction.
This is a good idea except that you're also hoping the other remaining 8 feel the same way. Lets say Tech and Paylor get an offer for somewhere else. They are going to accept and we may get stuck holding the bag in the AAC. As has been said earlier a bird in the hand....

May 4, 2011
Charleston, SC
ISU AD said in 2016:

https://www.cbssports.com/college-f...h-sec-american-to-lure-teams-from-conference/

cut/paste

"At 10 [members] we give ourselves a lot more flexibility down the road versus adding maybe members that would only clutter up the process," Pollard said. "People say, 'In eight years, Texas and Oklahoma are going to bolt.' Well, if we added teams and forced it on them, I guarantee they'd bolt. So that's a part of this process that people aren't thinking about.
This is the part that makes me angriest. UT and to a lesser extent OU controlled the conference. They made it the dumpster fire it is and now try to walk away to greener pastures while screwing everyone else. I wish them nothing but failure and derision in their new home.

Nov 6, 2010
This is a good idea except that you're also hoping the other remaining 8 feel the same way. Lets say Tech and Paylor get an offer for somewhere else. They are going to accept and we may get stuck holding the bag in the AAC. As has been said earlier a bird in the hand....
But doesn't it just have to be 3 remaining teams for the conference to still officially be in existence?? And then you're talking about Tech and Baylor also coughing up exit fees, which you know they're not going to do. I guess that's where Bowlsby would come into play and lay out the plan and get everyone to hold the line.

OSU125

Wrangler
Sep 2, 2014
But doesn't it just have to be 3 remaining teams for the conference to still officially be in existence?? And then you're talking about Tech and Baylor also coughing up exit fees, which you know they're not going to do. I guess that's where Bowlsby would come into play and lay out the plan and get everyone to hold the line.
Then who do we play? Not just in football but all the other sports when the conference is down to three? The schedule, if one could be put together, would be worse than even the AAC could offer. If we explore the PAC-12 and work this out for a third time and tell them nevermind for a third time, I don't see them engaging a fourth time. If the offer comes, and one isn't imminent with the B1G, I think we need to take it and be happy we found a landing spot for another 13 years until everyone's deals come back up for renewal and this BS all starts again.

OSUCowboy787

Territorial Marshal
Dec 31, 2008
Keller, Texas
True but if they accept Pac12 or wherever and are just 'waiting' until 2025 like Texas and OU plan to do. We will still be the school without a plan and when 2025 hits we will be left out. Either way we need to make sure we are in the best position moving beyond 2025, assuming the rest of the conference will go full panic and pull the parachute early.

SLVRBK

Johnny 8ball's PR Manager
Staff
A/V Subscriber
Oct 16, 2003
Katy, TX
Here is the latest from Dodd, have pasted some portions below

In fact, the Big 12's bylaws are written in such a way that -- if there is even one member remaining -- a program can individually sue any of the entities in this discussion -- the SEC, the AAC or even ESPN.

Leaning on the "disinterested directors" clause in its bylaws, the Big 12 intends to make the migration of Texas and Oklahoma to the SEC as difficult as possible.

After losing four teams in the last round of conference realignment a decade ago, those bylaws were drafted in 2012 to stand for a period of 99 years. Texas and Oklahoma were part of the group who, according to one source, wanted the longest agreement possible.

That last round of realignment led to the Big 12 registering itself as a corporation in the state of Delaware. That helps prevent the case from being heard in Texas where the University of Texas might have a legal advantage.

As long the Big 12 remains viable, ESPN and Fox cannot reduce the conference's rights fees under the current contract.

While it's reasonable to expect further consolidations in conference realignment, the Big 12 believes the conferences themselves should control that dialogue instead of what it considers to be undue influence by ESPN.

Nov 6, 2010
Then who do we play? Not just in football but all the other sports when the conference is down to three? The schedule, if one could be put together, would be worse than even the AAC could offer. If we explore the PAC-12 and work this out for a third time and tell them nevermind for a third time, I don't see them engaging a fourth time. If the offer comes, and one isn't imminent with the B1G, I think we need to take it and be happy we found a landing spot for another 13 years until everyone's deals come back up for renewal and this BS all starts again.
Yea, that's a good point. The only way for this to work is in solidarity with all the remaining schools, and maybe that's what was agreed to in the recent meeting we had.

OSU125

Wrangler
Sep 2, 2014
Does anyone know, is the $70-80M per school to leave to break the GOR, 99 year contract, or both? Any chance we are under estimating the true cost to leave if the conference survives?

Nov 6, 2010
Like UT and OU agreed to play in the Big 12 through 2024-2025?
I doubt Tech or Baylor have ESPN offering to pay their exit fees. I mean, let's be honest, it's not the Big 12, it's the Big 2 + the not so big 8. Either way, your point on the risk of waiting/planning vs getting left out is well taken. Tough situation.