Big 12 Realignment thread, 2021 version

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

What conference would you like to see OSU join?

• ACC

• Big Ten

• PAC-12

• Expanded Big 12

• Other (please explain)

Results are only viewable after voting.
Nov 25, 2009
Kedah Malaysia
There has to be a lawsuit in here somewhere.

Ed: I have a proposal for you Tom.
Tom: lay it on me.
Ed: what say i pay you to terminate our contract if you’ll cause Bob to bust his deal with me. The amount I pay you should cover the cost to you for causing Bob to bust his deal with me.
Tom: how do I cause Bob to bust his deal with you?
Ed: If you’ll leave your association with Bob and join Steve, I’ll make sure you make more money with Steve than you currently do with Bob.
Tom: I don’t understand. What’s in it for you?
Ed: Here’s the deal. You’re worth more to me if you’re associated with Steve than if you remain associated with Bob. Specifically, the amount I will pay you to terminate our contract is less than the amount I will save if I don’t have to pay Bob for his entire contract if he busts his deal with me.
Tom: Sounds great. Let’s do it.

Ed = ESPN
Tom = UT
Ed-Tom Contract = LHN
Bob = B12
Steve = SEC

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Good script....

How about Goon? What did he said?

Jun 13, 2010
Chicago
Brady’s second tweet is essentially what someone told me as well.

https://twitter.com/bradyvardeman/status/1420602558612230147?s=21
I'm going to guess the second high-ranking OSU source was Mullet Man himself.

"There's a snowball's chance in hell we entertain the AAC. Are you kidding me?"

"Where are we at in society? Pac 12, come after me, I'm a man, I'm 55," the source continued.

Sep 29, 2011
Breckenridge, CO
This hasn't been mentioned, but if I'm Fox, I want the best of the remaining 8 to go to the B1G or the PAC. A large portion of their college football lineup gets gutted with the OU/UT move to the SEC. Not saying they're pulling any strings, but it's not like ESPN is the only network with incentives to push for.
Check post #1180

Sep 29, 2011
Breckenridge, CO
This hasn't been mentioned, but if I'm Fox, I want the best of the remaining 8 to go to the B1G or the PAC. A large portion of their college football lineup gets gutted with the OU/UT move to the SEC. Not saying they're pulling any strings, but it's not like ESPN is the only network with incentives to push for.
Look for a comment or story on this issue by Fox. If you don’t see one very soon, you’ll know Fox is in or near the same boat as ESPN.

Feb 15, 2017
Texas
Fox is as much a complaintant as Big12 in these ESPN tamperings.

they are absolutely harmed in their Big12 rights by ESPNs offer to payoff LHN just to destroy Big12 so that ESPN can make money off the backend (SEC). Sounds like market price fixing

Jul 9, 2011
Carlos, TX
CBS Sports article estimated our tv$ revenue would be cut to "as low as $9 m per team" for the remaining 8 teams after ou and ut leave. That's AAC kind of money and not viable long term to be a P4 or 5 or 6 conference. So what do the teams do when the ou/ut exit money is gone?
That’s why the Big 12 should bust them now and only pay them a quarter or eighth of a share for 2021. Assuming they could do that
Fear that the remaining Big 12 implodes, or that ut/ou find some other way to get out of paying the exit fee, or that the "long, drawn out process" takes too long and ESPN cuts the Big 12 tv $ in the interim puts tremendous pressure on teams that CAN get out and land at a Power 5 conference to take the conference and money and run. Does a school stay with the Big 12, try for the big one time payout and risk missing the opportunity and getting stuck long term in a non-playoff conference for much lower money, basically down-grading their athletic program in the long term? Football $ drive the athletic program, so it would be a downgrade across the board. it's a tough call.

If the school wants to stay in the P5 picture and can move now, I would think they do so, as they risk not be able to sustain the program long enough to get another shot later if they don't move now. Makes sense to me, and I think ESPN is counting on this happening. Once you go from a $34 m program to a $9 m football program it will be tough to recover.

ESPN has basically doomed the Big 12, and they hold the cards. Hence the potential court suit.

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2011
Breckenridge, CO
Consider Bowlsbys charges against ESPN.

How could UT and the SEC resolve the LHN conflict (and therefor UTs move to the SEC) without ESPNs direct involvement in negotiations? NFW!
Further, any settlement of the LHN between ESPN and UT as an inducement to either join the SEC and/or leave the B12 early (thus saving ESPN huge money) is a clear example of tortious interference.

Aug 22, 2006
SE Oklahoma
I don't see a situation where the pokes don't benefit from this except the AAC move which is freaking ridiculous. I like the snowballs chance in hell comment. For me I think B1G is the most advantageous, followed by the ACC, and the PAC 3rd. Most realistically we are probably headed to the PAC because of our academic status and geography. For Texas and ou they will make more money but their success will be on par with Florida Arkansas and aTm. They both already have top teir budgets so to me it's not a great move for them but hey at least they will be in the almighty sec.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

MustangPokeFan

Territorial Marshal
Sep 9, 2005
Mustang, Ok
www.newshoesband.net
One thing is for sure, we are witnessing the long slow agonizing death of what was once college football. Destroyed by greed and ruined by the removal of passionate amateur athletic competition. I don't watch the NFL or NBA because it's just a bunch of pampered multi-millionaires playing a game that only matters as it benefits them personally or financially. There's almost no "Team" passion and no loyalty or identification with one team. Gone are the days when Magic or Larry played their entire careers with one team and lived and breathed their team identification. It's a league of detached prima donnas that holds no interest for me.

Now ESPN and other unethical greed merchants are basically doing the same thing to college athletics. The final nail in the coffin was the NIL decision. Would Big Red Sports and Imports have ever believed that what they were doing illegally and under the table would someday become accepted policy? I have a neighbor playing for a really good HS Football team this year (Choctaw), that's where I'll get my pure unadulterated passionate football fix this fall.....oh, and I'll keep my season tickets and watch my Cowboys no matter how putrid it gets (can't wait for the two evil twin college football wrecking bastard teams to come to BPS this year).

The rest I'm done with.

jetman

Federal Marshal
Nov 27, 2004
Edmond Oklahoma
Listening to the Morning Animals on the way to work this morning. Curtis Fitzpatrick said it's not a smart move to be going after ESPN like the Big 12 is. Yeah F that Curtis, I know all the sooner and longhorn fans expect everyone else to roll over and get screwed to make the transition as seamless as possible to the SEC.

Sep 29, 2011
Breckenridge, CO
Consider Bowlsbys charges against ESPN.

How could UT and the SEC resolve the LHN conflict (and therefor UTs move to the SEC) without ESPNs direct involvement in negotiations? NFW!
Further, any settlement of the LHN between ESPN and UT as an inducement to either join the SEC and/or leave the B12 early (thus saving ESPN huge money) is a clear example of tortious interference.

In further terms, OU, UT, ESPN and the SEC are all beneficiaries of “unjust enrichment*” at the expense of the B12.

* defined legal term

Nov 8, 2013
I've wanted the Power 5 conferences to merge for a long time. IMHO, the whole would make WAY more money (even the big dogs) together than apart. Same as the NFL. However, now I'm kinda thinking that the B1G, PAC, and remaining B12 should merge just to shove it back in ESPN's face.
Yes. This is what that could look like.

Attachments

Nov 6, 2010
Yeah, I suspect that is what this is about. I'm no law-talking-guy, but it seems this could be a precursor to a lawsuit. ESPN probably has a clause in our TV contract that says they get to renegotiate if the value of the Big XII media property is harmed by schools leaving the conference. But if ESPN is the one causing their own "harm", that seems illegitimate. And in fact, by working with OU and UT to help move them to another conference, they are causing harm to the conference and may be infringing on some clause in the contract.

I doubt this is has much to do with ESPN somehow finding a home for the remaining schools. I don't believe that is happening.
Particularly if there is any truth to the reports that ESPN may be looking to pay the exit fees with funds shifted from the LHN contract. That seems pretty cut and dry to me legally. Will be interesting if this is to shift the exit fees back on ou and texas to force them to stay until 2025.

OSUCowboy787

Territorial Marshal
Dec 31, 2008
Keller, Texas
Particularly if there is any truth to the reports that ESPN may be looking to pay the exit fees with funds shifted from the LHN contract. That seems pretty cut and dry to me legally. Will be interesting if this is to shift the exit fees back on ou and texas to force them to stay until 2025.
Need to figure out a way, if the Big 12 does dissolve to work ourselves into a settlement like Bobby Bonilla day every year from ESPN. Few million a year in perpetuity. Sounds pretty good.

SLVRBK

Johnny 8ball's PR Manager
Staff
A/V Subscriber
Oct 16, 2003
Katy, TX
Or just to make sure the the teams get some change in their pocket as they exit the B12.