Big 12 Realignment thread, 2021 version

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

What conference would you like to see OSU join?

• ACC

• Big Ten

• PAC-12

• Expanded Big 12

• Other (please explain)

Results are only viewable after voting.
Aug 16, 2012
No team from a power 5 conference is going to join a OU and Texas-less big XII. The Big XII already has the smallest TV revenue of the power 5 at 200 million, without OU and Texas we’re looking at group of 5 money with the biggest being the Big East at 46 million. It would also be very difficult for OSU to join another Power 5 because you’re talking about splitting the money they are already getting without bringing much TV money with us.
If OU and Texas left it’s possible it would turn into the Power 4 conferences and the Group of 6 conferences, we could maybe add a few smaller schools to the big XII. We would have a pretty good shot at getting an at large big to the playoffs if that would still be in play but we would probably have to drop some sports to make up for the loss of revenue.
B12 does not have the smallest from a per-school basis. By per-school payout, B12 is firmly in third behind only the SEC and B10 which have markets we could never touch.

May 4, 2011
Charleston, SC
Nebraska was an AAU member when it joined the B10, but lost that when the AAU changed its criteria to devalue ag research. This is supposedly part of a rift that currently exists with Neb and the rest of the B10. This was magnified when Neb wanted to play football while the others had no spine.
Funny enough though, the AAU still uses USDA grant dollars when reporting on how great they are. They stopped counting USDA dollars supposedly because USDA doesn't do peer review like the other agencies. Syracuse left for related reasons but it was how AAU counted private foundation research dollars.

Still, ISU and KU would be decent fits in the B1G.

Dec 19, 2012
If Texas and OU left (They won't IMO, I don't think either are that dumb for even $10 million), it would be hard for OSU to get into another conference, however here's the takeaways:
-NIL is changing the landscape
-COVID hurt everyone's bottom line
-OSU will have a hard time getting in with anyone but OU/Texas somewhere
-Big Ten will not accept us (they are very stuck up and require AAU membership, which like most academia is made up crap)
-OSU and Big XII could stand still and recruit others (maybe BYU/Cincinnati/San Diego State/UCONN, etc. as targets) but ultimately we would make less money
-OSU and other Big XII Schools could join PAC 12 (but the times will suck, and they have their own set of problems)
-OSU and other Big XII Schools could join the ACC (honestly, I think that might be the best option IF we can get in, hella good BBall and Clemson/FSU/Miami/VT in Football- probably in an eastern Division)
-The rumors that OU and Texas reached out the SEC are true. OSU wouldn't put out that statement unless they were trying to send a message to OU and Texas about our Big XII family. For a myriad of reasons, I think them leaving for the SEC is a long shot. If they left immediately, we would get their money along with other Big XII schools and for two years would still have a bid to the playoffs.
-OU and Texas may have trouble with getting enough votes to join the SEC. 11/14 must say yes, and supposedly TAMU and MIZZOU are hard "no's"
-Lastly, TV contracts are changing rapidly and will look different the next time it's negotiated due to people cutting the cable (Longhorn Network seems to have been mostly a fail)

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2016
US
OU and Texas are doing this to get more money from the Big 12. The other 8 members will do everything possible, including allowing OU and Texas to have a bigger share of the pie. It's all about money. The obvious is obvious.

Jan 15, 2017
Enid
B12 does not have the smallest from a per-school basis. By per-school payout, B12 is firmly in third behind only the SEC and B10 which have markets we could never touch.
Right, using either criteria would be irrelevant because without OU and Texas the Big XII is not going to be making 200 million, or even 160 million without them, is what I was getting at.

Sep 9, 2013
I dont think pac takes any big 12 teams.
Hear me out.
can you imagine the president of Stanford wanting to be in the same room as the presidents from Texas tech or Oklahoma State?
You have academics most in PAC will oppose, and the PAC wont take any religious schools(TCU, Baylor).
football drives expansion, kansas has nothing.
kstate academics.
iowa state no baseball team. do you think any power 5 conference is taking a team that doesnt play baseball?

A big 12 with no Texas or OU will still be a tough conference, but of course the money wont be as much adding cinn, ucf etc, although those teams are good.

OctaviusRexLTH

Deputy
A/V Subscriber
Aug 16, 2019
Alabama
Hear me out.
can you imagine the president of Stanford wanting to be in the same room as the presidents from Texas tech or Oklahoma State?
You have academics most in PAC will oppose, and the PAC wont take any religious schools(TCU, Baylor).
kstate academics.
iowa state no baseball team. do you think any power 5 conference is taking a team that doesnt play baseball?

A big 12 with no Texas or OU will still be a tough conference, but of course the money wont be as much adding cinn, ucf etc, although those teams are good.
I mean, they’re in a room with Oregon state and other schools with similar academic rankings to OSU and TTU

Sep 9, 2013
Texas is gone after 2024. zero chance it stays in big 12. If it gets blocked by aggies, it will join the BIG.

The top 2 conferences are going to leave the ACC, big 12, and PAC so far in the dust it wont be funny.

this is all about NIL.
Bama's qb has already inked a 1 million dollar deal. Texas and OU wont remain relevant in recruiting in the big 12. They know it and want out. there's no stopping them.

Anyone thinking there will be a big 12 after 2024 with either Texas or OU in it is plain wrong. It's a matter of survival to them.

I like Oklahoma State. great program and fans, but it isnt going to end up in the SEC or BIG, so like WVU, no matter what happens, there is going to be a big tumble.

A tumble into the ACC or PAC is softer than a watered down big 12, but i think BIG poaches UVA and maybe even UNC from ACC. The BIG will try to keep up with the SEC, who is adding texas and OU. You dont do that by adding kansas and iowa state.

if Texas ends up in BIG, VT will move to the top of the SEC want list. SEC has long wanted into the Virginia market.

Ptak'sNewspaper

Territorial Marshal
Sep 30, 2004
The Oasis
redcircle.com
Hear me out.
kstate academics.

I don’t necessarily disagree with much of this, but the PAC took Colorado and they don’t have baseball.

Dec 19, 2012
but of course the money wont be as much adding cinn, ucf etc, although those teams are good.
I tend to agree, but I do think it would be interesting to add Houston, UCF, San Diego State, BYU, CSU, and Memphis (or Notre Dame if you call pull them). They all add HUGE markets- big viewership's.

tmcats

Wrangler
Feb 13, 2014
Here's a scenario that could work to oSu's favor. The B10 decides it's time to move to 16 and grabs both Ku and Missouri. Both schools have always longed to be in the rust belt league and have the AAU certs to go there. That would open a slot for oSu in the SEC with the land thieves and whorns. Your school is in a far better position for that to happen than ISU or K-State catching a break.

osupsycho

MAXIMUM EFFORT!!!
A/V Subscriber
Apr 20, 2005
Valhalla
Hear me out.
kstate academics.

Except that that new PAC 12 commissioner has already chimed in with comments that could be interpreted as meaning he is interested in expansion via Big 12 teams left after OU/UT leave...

Don't worry you guys are likely ACC bound...

pokefan05

Country Boys Country Toys
A/V Subscriber
Dec 6, 2006
Tulsa
One one hand I can see the fear and downside to potentially not being in a power 5 conf. Obviously less money and visibility. However, I can see the potential upside too. We recruit football like we’ve been in the mountain west the whole time (ie underrated guys). If we can maintain our current level, we would be at the top of the new conference in football. Basketball would still be a good conference, and it’s been proven you can win big in smaller conferences. Golf and wrestling are still in the same boat. Baseball takes a hit, but would still be a solid conference. Not getting an annual ass whipping in football from ou would be a nice change of pace. Some thing had to change eventually, the big 12 has been stagnant since the last round of realignment. The current group of schools is not sustainable long term.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rixaroo

Deputy
A/V Subscriber
Jun 16, 2011
OKC
www.weekendwatchguide.com
I put this together. I think this is the best case scenario if OU and Texas make the move. Berry Trammel stated that PAC-12 won't take a religious school, so Baylor is left without a home here (TCU isn't truly religious in spite of their name).
Screen Shot 2021-07-22 at 12.01.50 PM.png

Oct 29, 2004
Edmond, OK
In the infamous words of Mike Gundy…this effort is like throwing deck chairs off the Titanic. Collegiate athletics in the purest sense is over and NCAA is meaningless.

There might be a Super Semi Pro league created called the SEC…for a short time while the ship slowly sinks. Portal and NIL ignited the fuse. Kids will look for the best deal year to year. You will probably have 50-75% player turnover each year. The concept of teamwork and university spirit will slowly fade away. Then what do you have left?…semi-pro league with a revolving door and a lot of young adults with shattered dreams of a large athletic payday and no college education.

Go Chiefs!!!

osupsycho

MAXIMUM EFFORT!!!
A/V Subscriber
Apr 20, 2005
Valhalla
One one hand I can see the fear and downside to potentially not being in a power 5 conf. Obviously less money and visibility. However, I can see the potential upside too. We recruit football like we’ve been in the mountain west the whole time (ie underrated guys). If we can maintain our current level, we would be at the top of the new conference in football. Basketball would still be a good conference, and it’s been proven you can win big in smaller conferences. Golf and wrestling are still in the same boat. Baseball takes a hit, but would still be a solid conference. Not getting an annual ass whipping in football from ou would be a nice change of pace. Some thing had to change eventually, the big 12 has been stagnant since the last round of realignment. The current group of schools is not sustainable long term.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
But you are forgetting the money part. If we do not get a payout at the level of a power 5 then all those sports would lose a HUGE chunk of their operating money. It would likely end up crippling our athletic department a lot.

Nov 6, 2010
In the infamous words of Mike Gundy…this effort is like throwing deck chairs off the Titanic. Collegiate athletics in the purest sense is over and NCAA is meaningless.

There might be a Super Semi Pro league created called the SEC…for a short time while the ship slowly sinks. Portal and NIL ignited the fuse. Kids will look for the best deal year to year. You will probably have 50-75% player turnover each year. The concept of teamwork and university spirit will slowly fade away. Then what do you have left?…semi-pro league with a revolving door and a lot of young adults with shattered dreams of a large athletic payday and no college education.

Go Chiefs!!!
Yea, I think the only way a scenario like this doesn't come to pass is if the big boys realize it's in their long term interests to keep the OSU's of the world in the game. Otherwise, widespread fan support will deteriorate and people will move on and support their favorite NFL teams. I think hubris and short term interests win the day though, and your projection will come true.