Big 12 Realignment thread, 2021 version

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

What conference would you like to see OSU join?

• ACC

• Big Ten

• PAC-12

• Expanded Big 12

• Other (please explain)

Results are only viewable after voting.

SLVRBK

Johnny 8ball's PR Manager
Staff
A/V Subscriber
Oct 16, 2003
Katy, TX
I was having dinner at a fellow OSU alum’s house about a month ago and I said basically the same thing to him, when he asked me about my thoughts on what was happening.

I told him: here’s the deal: let’s quit pretending college football is an amateur sport. Why do we demand this facade of academia pursuit?

Why not allow our players to be paid, and let them be mercenaries. NO school requirements. NO classes to attend. We have our paid team to play football and so does any other school.

While this is NOT what college athletics was originally all about, it has become this anyway. The Supreme Court’s ruling about NIL has forced this result, which is nothing more than an outgrowth of TV monies.
I was having dinner at a fellow OSU alum’s house about a month ago and I said basically the same thing to him, when he asked me about my thoughts on what was happening.

I told him: here’s the deal: let’s quit pretending college football is an amateur sport. Why do we demand this facade of academia pursuit?

Why not allow our players to be paid, and let them be mercenaries. NO school requirements. NO classes to attend. We have our paid team to play football and so does any other school.

While this is NOT what college athletics was originally all about, it has become this anyway. The Supreme Court’s ruling about NIL has forced this result, which is nothing more than an outgrowth of TV monies.
I would assume that a whole lot of schools would need to drop athletics at that point

LS1 Z28

Territorial Marshal
Oct 30, 2007
I think the biggest issue is that there isn't time to hear and vote on the bill prior to texas making the move official. Governor would have to call another special session for it to be heard and they would need a quorum to vote on anything, which isn't happening until the democrats come back from holing up in D.C. this month. Maybe there are some back channel talks happening about repercussions if it happens to make them think twice, but I doubt it. Doesn't seem like there is any big time political champion for the other schools like they had in the 90's to get them into the Big 12.
It's definitely a longshot with their Democrats MIA, but it could get interesting if they return. This is just one more wrinkle to watch in the coming weeks.

Sep 8, 2014
The back 40
I would assume that a whole lot of schools would need to drop athletics at that point
Keep them but hang your hat on the college brand.

We aren’t there yet, but I think the “super league” will collapse or be a regional rump state...other shiny things will pull attention of the next generation and the school associated “base” fans will largely be following their schools in the larger “college league” while the “super league” is competing with MLB, NBA and NFL for shrinking sports streamers and with Disney for folks who would rather watch Marvel TV shows-Disney will cut espn loose if they can make more money focusing on spider-man, the mandalorian and the latest princess movie. (See NASCAR for reference)

Aug 16, 2008
Oklahoma City
yes, it is a dilemma. Schools that still want athletic, pure innocent athletic competition, would be prohibited to do so simply as a result of the NIL

I see the Supreme Court’s point of view. But I think the right to organize and set your own rules should prevail.

Here’s my thinking: if you want $$ for your MIL, you should and could be allowed to back-out of your college scholarship and go play in the NFL or the SEC, whichever league you want to play in.

There would be no monopoly, a student/athlete could still decide to cash-in on his MIL by changing leagues - either NFL or to the SEC.

And thus allow those colleges and universities that still want more of a resemblance of the Student/Athlete position to still exist, could do so by denying NIL.

As long as a person has a choice to get paid thru NIL, or decline such right and play for colleges that deny NIL compensation, why is that not allowed? Why should the Supreme Court demand NIL or nothing at all for an athletic conference?
The Supreme Court’s decision Is not the best decision IMO, that secures the maximum amount of rights and fairness to all concerned.

Sep 8, 2014
The back 40
Good article about how all this long term is just chasing diminishing dollars...

Without loyalty the sport dies...that’s where these guys are pushing it..trying to suck the last little bit out of the bottom of the glass instead of thinking about where the next drink comes from

(From the Washington Post) According to ESPN's internal data, some 96 percent of 12- to 17-year-olds still identify as sports fans, a consistent figure over the past decade. But the share of fans who call themselves “avid” has dropped, from 42 percent a decade ago to 34 percent last year.Nov 24, 2020

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2020/11/24/gen-z-sports-fans/

Feb 15, 2017
Texas
So anyone that thinks KU and ISU are going to the BIG, think about this scenario-
SEC and BIG sitting at a table.
SEC says “were expanding to 16, adding 0u and uT”
BIG not wanting to be even further behind SEC says “Oh ya, us too. We’re adding Kansas and Iowa State!! Take that”

ya, sure

Jostate

Identifies as a Cowboys fan
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005

Part of the appeal, to me, of college sports is a feeling of connection, however distant it may be.

A pro team is comprised of a collection of people from other states, making too much money for me to relate to, representing my city for pay.

With college sports I can sell myself on the naive belief that the players wanted to go to school here, who may be sitting in classes I took, playing for the love of the game and my school. I know...

If you just turn this into minor league football it loses it's appeal.

CocoCincinnati

Federal Marshal
Feb 7, 2007
Tulsa, OK
https://www.kwtx.com/2021/07/28/local-lawmaker-files-bill-block-big-12-disruption/
Local lawmaker files bill to block Big 12 disruption
“The people in Waco, and Lubbock, and Fort Worth are just as much customers of the UT system as students and faculty in the UT system,” said Birdwell. “So the real frustration here is that the University of Texas system has put itself on a track to impact potentially three other locals in the State of Texas adversely without any consideration to those impacts.” He says the local impacts could be devastating.

“It’s not just athletics, but when you’re in a major conference, the faculty, student-athletes, the recruiting that comes with research opportunities, faculty opportunities, and the academics that come with being in a major conference, those things are impacted as well,” said Birdwell. In response, Birdwell has decided to co-author SB 76 which requires approval from lawmakers before state universities can switch athletic conferences.
Could the government really force ut to sign a new GOR contract? If not, they could really make things miserable for the rest of the conference. Not sure how that works.

CocoCincinnati

Federal Marshal
Feb 7, 2007
Tulsa, OK
So anyone that thinks KU and ISU are going to the BIG, think about this scenario-
SEC and BIG sitting at a table.
SEC says “were expanding to 16, adding 0u and uT”
BIG not wanting to be even further behind SEC says “Oh ya, us too. We’re adding Kansas and Iowa State!! Take that”

ya, sure
I don't disagree but one could argue that ku gets the conference into the KC market, not sure how big that is but it's not nothing.

llcoolw

Territorial Marshal
Feb 7, 2005
Sammamish, Washington.Dallas, Texas.Maui, Hawaii
I hear people saying this about ou and to me it falls into the same category as the ou fan(s) I've heard call into the sports animal and report that oSu will finally be where we belong when we go to the AAC. OU will NOT be like USC or UM. Will they have a hard time winning the conference? Absolutely. Their days of winning back to back to back (to back to back to back) conference championships is over. But the machine that is OU is going to roll on. I'd say they will be top perennial top 3 finishers in the SEC with Bama, UGA, and LSU/Auburn/aTm.

Edit: Texas on the other hand...could wind up like Tennessee.
I’m assuming the real $ isn’t in tv anymore. It’s in having a piece of the action on 80 kids all making millions every year. But will fans continue to support non amateur football?

Sep 8, 2014
The back 40
Could the government really force ut to sign a new GOR contract? If not, they could really make things miserable for the rest of the conference. Not sure how that works.
2/3rds of the legislature can do what ever it wants (thats enough to over-ride a veto). The question is would they do it.

I remember a story Molly Ivan’s told about a education bill going through the Texas state house. She asked a long time legislator “let me get this straight, the teachers have their lobbyists working this bill, the state chamber of commerce and the lobbyists of the state’s business community are working this bill, the school boards and school administrators have lobbyists working this bill...is anyone looking out for the students?”

The legislator smiled, leaned forward in his chair and said “do the little bastards have a PAC (political action committee)?”

I doubt that anything happens, but like I said earlier, political fallout long term over this in both Texas and Oklahoma could be real....and personally I hope it is. They (ou) broke the truce at 23rd and Lincoln...that might be some of what our new President is speaking about (between the lines) in her statements

llcoolw

Territorial Marshal
Feb 7, 2005
Sammamish, Washington.Dallas, Texas.Maui, Hawaii
Part of the appeal, to me, of college sports is a feeling of connection, however distant it may be.

A pro team is comprised of a collection of people from other states, making too much money for me to relate to, representing my city for pay.

With college sports I can sell myself on the naive belief that the players wanted to go to school here, who may be sitting in classes I took, playing for the love of the game and my school. I know...

I’m assuming the real $ isn’t in tv anymore. It’s in having a piece of the action on 80 kids all making millions every year. But will fans continue to support non amateur football?
You always say it better

Aug 30, 2018
Jonesville South Carolina
ESPN article estimated our tv$ revenue would be cut to "as low as $9 m per team" for the remaining 8 teams after ou and it leave. That's AAC kind of money and not viable long term to be a P5 or 4 conference. So what do the teams do when the ou/ut exit money is gone?
That’s why the Big 12 should bust them now and only pay them a quarter or eighth of a share for 2021. Assuming they could do that

ScooberJake

Territorial Marshal
Jul 13, 2004
Denver, CO

I see the logic in that, but then why are these professional, minor-league teams associated with universities at all? Do we really think institutes of higher education are the right organizations to run a football minor league? At that point, what's to stop Vince McMahon or Peyton Manning or Jerry Jones from creating a purely football-focused minor-league system, with locations and stadiums and marketing strategized specifically for that purpose? Seems like that would easily supplant a football minor-league shoehorned into the old college football system.

There's no good reason to have an NFL minor league team in Stillwater. OKC would be so much better. I expect Chad Weiberg will make a great AD for OSU, but that's a very different job that running a professional sports franchise.

Aug 8, 2015
Ponca City
I see the logic in that, but then why are these professional, minor-league teams associated with universities at all? Do we really think institutes of higher education are the right organizations to run a football minor league? At that point, what's to stop Vince McMahon or Peyton Manning or Jerry Jones from creating a purely football-focused minor-league system, with locations and stadiums and marketing strategized specifically for that purpose? Seems like that would easily supplant a football minor-league shoehorned into the old college football system.

There's no good reason to have an NFL minor league team in Stillwater. OKC would be so much better. I expect Chad Weiberg will make a great AD for OSU, but that's a very different job that running a professional sports franchise.
They need the colleges for a minor league NFL. Look at minor league baseball or the G-League. They’re struggling to get anyone to watch that. I’d expect the same thing to happen to a Minor League NFL. They’ll be tied to the colleges in some way.

ouflak

Greenhorn
Nov 7, 2009
Manchester, England
And thus allow those colleges and universities that still want more of a resemblance of the Student/Athlete position to still exist, could do so by denying NIL.

As long as a person has a choice to get paid thru NIL, or decline such right and play for colleges that deny NIL compensation, why is that not allowed? Why should the Supreme Court demand NIL or nothing at all for an athletic conference?
The Supreme Court’s decision Is not the best decision IMO, that secures the maximum amount of rights and fairness to all concerned.
So let's say that of the tens of thousands of kids that would like to compete in collegiate athletics, only five thousand get into those schools that allow NIL. The others then have no choice but to play for nothing but a scholarship whose 'value' is set by the school itself. They may be great athletes, and work as hard, and generate lots of money for their schools, but no NIL since they couldn't quite make it into the top 20 schools. Their coaches and athletic department admins still get 5 and 6 digit annual salaries, despite being unable to compete with the top 20 schools in any meaningful way in most sports. Hmmm.. but only the top 20 schools seems a bit of a small number though doesn't it? Let's say that 12 more schools decide they want a piece of the financial and prestige pie that's being served up to the top 20, so they change their rules to allow NIL, adding another three thousand athletes that can make money via this means. This carries on for a few years, but the tens of thousands of athletes in the rest of the schools see all of that money and realize that they could atleast make something, but they just aren't allowed. And they have no 'choice' because they simply couldn't qualify to get into the top 32 schools. So they file a class action suit saying that ALL student athletes should have such freedom, and that no school should be able to limit this freedom for any reason. How do you think that case will go considering this Supreme Court?

And by the time that case winds its way up the court system to get to that point where the Supreme Court makes its entirely predictable inevitable decision, how many schools will still be left that are foolish enough to crush any chance of competing by not allowing NIL?

Last edited:
Aug 16, 2008
Oklahoma City

Totally agree. That’s especially true in Div.III. Pure Amateurism in Div III where there’s NO scholarships.