Big 12 Realignment thread, 2021 version

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

What conference would you like to see OSU join?

• ACC

• Big Ten

• PAC-12

• Expanded Big 12

• Other (please explain)

Results are only viewable after voting.
Jun 28, 2011
Auburndale, Florida
Quoting the Mandalorian, "THIS IS THE WAY". Aggressively compete with the SEC by creating a 36 team super conference combining the Big 10, Pac 12, remnants of Big 12, plus two new invitations (ideally Notre Dame and BYU financially; but could be any two of ND, BYU, Boise St, Memphis, Houston, or Cincinnati). National NLI opportunities. Coast to coast travel opportunities for recruits. Relegate SEC to "regional" status. One image shows ND and BYU. The other shows BYU and Houston.
And refuse to schedule any SEC school. That would be the way to go.

andylicious

Territorial Marshal
Nov 16, 2013
tractor
Yeah, cut off your nose to spite your face. That will get the National coverage we want!
You might be right, but why not swing for the fences? The only companies that can compete with ESPN are Google and Amazon, let's hook up with them and let them cover the super conference. The national media coverage provided by those groups could blow the SEC and ESPN out of the water.

cowboyinexile

Have some class
A/V Subscriber
Jun 29, 2004
Fairmont, MN
I miss the good ol days of Orangepower. So many members have come and gone.. unfortunately, the best members this board ever had stopped posting at least 2-years ago. Members who engaged in logical conversation, instead of arguing with one another. Members who didn't try to prove people wrong. Members who didn't think that you're either a sunshine pumper or a Debbie downer.. could go on and on.

I simply refuse to reply to those who've replied to my posts, in this thread. The level of immaturity on this board is astonishing, especially considering the average age of members who post.

I'll bet you the deed to my house that OSU will not end up in the Big 10 nor the PAC12. The writing is on the wall. Maybe take off the orange colored sunglasses so you may read the wall.

Under no circumstances am I being negative, not in this post nor my previous posts in this thread. I love OSU. I hope we end up in PAC-12 or Big 10 or another "power" conference. But thus far, not one other power conference expressed interest in OSU. Sure, that doesn't mean that power conferences are not interested in OSU. But when the last realignment occurred conference leadership almost instantaneously expressed interest in the programs that were leaving the Big 12.

Better enjoy the success of the football program.. because depending on where OSU ends up, OSU may experience a severe drop in talent. Let's hope that that isn't the case.

See y'all when first game of the season begins.
It's about adding value. The conferences have to ask if we add value and how much. If they think we do then we will be fine. If they don't, then we are in trouble.

For the Big 10 and ACC I don't see how we do that. For the PAC though, for the first time ever our location is an advantage. They pick up a few CST schools and 16-20 Pac after dark games suddenly happen at 11AM and 230 PM games. That is a ton of exposure we can bring to the table. Plus it helps that we are good right now. No one is going to care if USC is beating the tar out of Kansas, but if we are in a barnburner against Washington, that is going to draw eyeballs. How many times have you not stayed up for a Pac after dark game only to wake up the next morning and find out you missed a 45-42 thriller? With us they have the same opportunity for those type games, only casual fans will tune in for it.

If I were them I would add us, Tech, TCU, and Houston. Lots of opportunities for their teams to get into Texas recruiting, and you hit two big population centers and two large schools with big fan bases. I could see dropping TCU for Kansas State or Iowa State, but I think ISU* ends up in the Big 10 and between the other two TCU is better at football right now.

*ISU is an interesting case because from the outside looking in they are in no man's land. But they have a very interesting way of adding value and his name is Matt Campbell. 2 months ago it was assumed he was sticking with them but if someone like Michigan came calling he was gone. The thing is, he strikes me as Mike Boynton loyal. If Iowa State goes to the Big 10 and the program continues on its trajectory, he may have no incentive to leave. They have a real East vs West imbalance and picking up a school on the cheap to balance that adds value. They could probably have ISU for a half share for 5 years and they would jump at it. That's far more profitable than throwing money at West Coast schools who may or may not use that to leverage better deals in their own conference.

May 4, 2011
Charleston, SC
In Ted Lasso ( which I believe to be based upon Gundy and us ) the town the team plays in has a motto.

ITS THE HOPE THAT KILLS YOU.

I kid you not.
-the words Pistol Pete were used in a sentence
-Ted says he doesn’t care about wins, just making better human beings
-he dances in the locker room after wins
-Has a giant BELIEVE sign over the door.

But it’s that motto I just know was based on us.

I say all of this because that last sentence of yours, I SO HOPE COMES TRUE. Let’s end this crap show with them. Without that yearly beat down, who knows?
Entirely possible. Sudeikis is from KC and based the Lasso character on a high school coach of his, but Gundy and OSU could be the pieces that fill in those gaps.

cowboyinexile

Have some class
A/V Subscriber
Jun 29, 2004
Fairmont, MN
If the SEC is going to continue raiding other conferences, it will make our move even more risky. If we move to the PAC and Oregon/USC bolt for the mega conference in 2 years, we might find ourselves right back in the same spot as we’re in today. This entire system needs revamped…or just do away with conferences all together. Whatever happens, I’ll be watching the Pokes. Even if it’s on ESPN+ on Fridays.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I think (hope?) after this round is over everyone will get locked into long term contracts. We had a decade of stability and hopefully we get another decade of it.

And hopefully when the next round comes we are in a better position to benefit from it. We were hosed being tied to uo until we weren't so at least next time that won't be holding us back.

Jun 13, 2010
Chicago
I would prefer BIG, but if it’s PAC then so be it. I’ll be happy with it and the new journey we’re on. Put everyone else in the rear view mirror.
B1G would be good news, but I'd be concerned about our Texas/South recruiting pipeline. It's true that Nebbish recruits well, but still differently than they did under Solich and early Pellini.

We are all underestimating how good the PAC could be. PAC helped Utah become AAU-accredited, whereas the B1G was decisive in voting Nebbish off the AAU island. Furthermore, PAC would be a lot more valuable (on a per school payout) with Central Time Zone schools; whereas, the B1G is no more or even slightly less valuable with additional Central Time Zone schools, especially on a per school basis.

I still refuse to believe they're going to further divide their B1G payout by 16+ just to add Iowa State and Kansas, out of, charity or something? At least the PAC coming this way is a considerable value-add, particularly if it includes OSU.

Ratings clearly demonstrate that OSU is not only the best of the available programs, but the only program on par with Oregon and USC. The concern then becomes whether there's at least 1 other school that justifies adding to the payout denominator. Maybe PAC affiliation also elevates Texas Tech, a la Utah? That suddenly becomes a no-brainer.

I can see a PAC 14, but I'll admit 16 is questionable. A conference shouldn't (likely won't) add any more schools than absolutely necessary to compete in the college landscape.

Last edited:

cowboyinexile

Have some class
A/V Subscriber
Jun 29, 2004
Fairmont, MN
You’re not gonna reply, that’s fine. Just listen to this.

We are not the same school 10 years ago. Our athletics are great. The last decade showed a CWS appearance in baseball and softball. 3 baseball Conference tournament championship. 6 (7 if we played a regular season in 2019) 10 win seasons in CFB. We are ranked #18 with the most CFP poll appearances. Our basketball team just recruited the #1 player draft pick ever in OSU history. Golf and Wrestling are household names with our programs. Ranked #2 in big 12 all time wins the last decade. We have a top 5 baseball facility, top 20 football, and top 25 basketball arena. The 3rd most viewerships per football games in the conference. I can go on…

For academia. We have a new research building (Henry bellmon )Life sciences building, animal science building, vet medical hospital building, business building (which is top 50 in the nation as a program) , new ENGINEERING laboratory, TWO new music education buildings with a new performance art center, and lastly, they are building a new state of the art agriculture building. Our academics have come a long way this last decades it’s continually improving. That’s not mentioning the tremendous improvement of our satellite campuses such as OSU-Tulsa with our medical facilities.

OSU is a national brand in the sports world. Not as big as the goons or Ohio State’s of the world but it’s still known. Cade tomorrow getting drafted as the #1 pick coming from OSU will continue to spread our brand around. Last season defeating a historic blue blood Miami in a bowl game…people notice that. Softball making it the final four, people notice that!

B1G and PAC-12 certainly are willing to hear OSU out. OSU is a “power” university in athletics. We have 52 national championships! That does not go unnoticed. If realignment happens, I will bet my life that OSU will continue to be in a power conference.
I didn't put this in my response to him but I agree.

It doesn't help us moreso than it doesn't hurt us that we have put a bunch of cash into our facilities. No one is going to take us because our football, basketball, and baseball facilities are top of the line, but it helps. When I was in college we played at Lewis Rustoleum Field. I have many happy (and really frustrating) memories there but it was definitely nothing worth looking at. If other potential conference officials want a tour what we had then versus what we have now could make a difference.

cowboyinexile

Have some class
A/V Subscriber
Jun 29, 2004
Fairmont, MN
Quoting the Mandalorian, "THIS IS THE WAY". Aggressively compete with the SEC by creating a 36 team super conference combining the Big 10, Pac 12, remnants of Big 12, plus two new invitations (ideally Notre Dame and BYU financially; but could be any two of ND, BYU, Boise St, Memphis, Houston, or Cincinnati). National NLI opportunities. Coast to coast travel opportunities for recruits. Relegate SEC to "regional" status. One image shows ND and BYU. The other shows BYU and Houston.
We are more likely to get a SEC invite tomorrow than see this happen. But I like the way you are thinking.

Jun 13, 2010
Chicago
I simply refuse to reply to those who've replied to my posts, in this thread. The level of immaturity on this board is astonishing, especially considering the average age of members who post.

I'll bet you the deed to my house that OSU will not end up in the Big 10 nor the PAC12. The writing is on the wall. Maybe take off the orange colored sunglasses so you may read the wall.

I hope we end up in PAC-12 or Big 10 or another "power" conference. But thus far, not one other power conference expressed interest in OSU.

Better enjoy the success of the football program.. because depending on where OSU ends up, OSU may experience a severe drop in talent. Let's hope that that isn't the case.

I bolded the first part of this post because it's literally ironic to say "I simply refuse to reply to those who've replied to my posts" and then bemoan other people's immaturity.

Secondly, you base your whole doom narrative on the fact that no other conference has immediately offered us membership. Nevermind that OU/Texas haven't even been offered SEC membership yet, it just happens to appear inevitable. All that has happened thus far is OU/Tex notifying the B12 it won't renew the GOR, then confirmation that they just petitioned for SEC membership.

I'd be concerned if OU/Tex announce an SEC start date, and OSU hasn't announced anything concrete within a month of that. Right now OU/Tex claim to be "honoring the GOR until 2025," lol. We don't have to pay any kind of penalty to leave the conference once OU/Tex kills it, and that is going to influence the sequence of everything that transpires. While you'd be insane to think we can afford to pay a $80MM penalty, you'd also be insane to think we aren't a valuable program. The only other available program with comparable brand value is KU.

Sit back and enjoy our fake outrage at what OU has done, while we plot the next move to advance our strong athletic program. There will almost certainly be another 52 national championships headed to the PAC. OSU is in very good shape right now, arguably the best position its ever had, and makes a compelling case for any conference.

- Consistent football success for 20 years
- Football tradition including national/conference championships and a Heisman
- Elite basketball
- Elite baseball
- Elite wrestling
- Impressive athletic and academic facilities
- Strong TV ratings
- Large albeit scattered alumni, great for streaming era
- Ability to work toward AAU in 5-10 years if it really matters that much to Michigan or Berkeley
- Dedicated and generous alumni
- Strong, dedicated leadership
- Gundy rocks a mullet sometimes

Last edited:

OSU125

Wrangler
Sep 2, 2014
I didn't put this in my response to him but I agree.

It doesn't help us moreso than it doesn't hurt us that we have put a bunch of cash into our facilities. No one is going to take us because our football, basketball, and baseball facilities are top of the line, but it helps. When I was in college we played at Lewis Rustoleum Field. I have many happy (and really frustrating) memories there but it was definitely nothing worth looking at. If other potential conference officials want a tour what we had then versus what we have now could make a difference.
It also shows them that we can and are willing to invest in our programs to keep them competitive long term.

Sep 29, 2011
Breckenridge, CO
I miss the good ol days of Orangepower. So many members have come and gone.. unfortunately, the best members this board ever had stopped posting at least 2-years ago. Members who engaged in logical conversation, instead of arguing with one another. Members who didn't try to prove people wrong. Members who didn't think that you're either a sunshine pumper or a Debbie downer.. could go on and on.

Under no circumstances am I being negative, not in this post nor my previous posts in this thread. I love OSU. I hope we end up in PAC-12 or Big 10 or another "power" conference. But thus far, not one other power conference expressed interest in OSU. Sure, that doesn't mean that power conferences are not interested in OSU. But when the last realignment occurred conference leadership almost instantaneously expressed interest in the programs that were leaving the Big 12.

What is it Jim Rome says to his radio audience?

Have a good take and don’t suck…….I think.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aug 28, 2009

Lol why don’t you whine some more