Big 12 Realignment thread, 2021 version

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

What conference would you like to see OSU join?

• ACC

• Big Ten

• PAC-12

• Expanded Big 12

• Other (please explain)

Results are only viewable after voting.

wrenhal

Federal Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
We would stay in the Big 12 along with whatever mediocre teams they bring in as a stopgap. We don’t have enough power to get in other leagues by ourselves, would just have to make the best of this league along with other schools who get left behind.
This is what would more than likely happen. Anything else would be a surprise honestly.
Could poach some PAC schools.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

May 4, 2011
Charleston, SC
Remember when UT was getting the LHN and OU didn't oppose it because they got confused and thought they were big enough to do the same?

It would be ironic if the same thing happened again, OU joins hands to leave the conference then the SEC takes UT and leaves OU stranded in a weakened conference where everybody else is mad at them.
Adding UT is the bigger problem. Seems more likely that OU could get added without UT.

Aug 2, 2016
Oklahoma City
It was definitely a strategic leak, and I believe it was by aTm to be behind it. I’d bet they wanted to get it out there and try to blow it up before the official vote. I think they will petition the SEC, but are using it as a negotiation piece as well

Jan 15, 2017
Enid
No team from a power 5 conference is going to join a OU and Texas-less big XII. The Big XII already has the smallest TV revenue of the power 5 at 200 million, without OU and Texas we’re looking at group of 5 money with the biggest being the Big East at 46 million. It would also be very difficult for OSU to join another Power 5 because you’re talking about splitting the money they are already getting without bringing much TV money with us.
If OU and Texas left it’s possible it would turn into the Power 4 conferences and the Group of 6 conferences, we could maybe add a few smaller schools to the big XII. We would have a pretty good shot at getting an at large big to the playoffs if that would still be in play but we would probably have to drop some sports to make up for the loss of revenue.

OSUCowboy787

Territorial Marshal
Dec 31, 2008
Keller, Texas
No team from a power 5 conference is going to join a OU and Texas-less big XII. The Big XII already has the smallest TV revenue of the power 5 at 200 million, without OU and Texas we’re looking at group of 5 money with the biggest being the Big East at 46 million. It would also be very difficult for OSU to join another Power 5 because you’re talking about splitting the money they are already getting without bringing much TV money with us.
If OU and Texas left it’s possible it would turn into the Power 4 conferences and the Group of 6 conferences, we could maybe add a few smaller schools to the big XII. We would have a pretty good shot at getting an at large big to the playoffs if that would still be in play but we would probably have to drop some sports to make up for the loss of revenue.
May not end up all bad and could end up working in our favor if we get left out for some reason. Lets say playoffs go to 12. Power 4 AND group of 6 champs are auto qualifiers. then 2 at large from the power 4 that are left. Then you could really call it a national championship and it levels the playing field more for the 'group of X'

May 4, 2011
Charleston, SC
May not end up all bad and could end up working in our favor if we get left out for some reason. Lets say playoffs go to 12. Power 4 AND group of 6 champs are auto qualifiers. then 2 at large from the power 4 that are left. Then you could really call it a national championship and it levels the playing field more for the 'group of X'
They basically had that playoff option already and didn't go that route. On the plus side, if we somehow wind up in the PAC, I very much like our chances of winning the conference on a semi regular basis. That puts us in the playoffs.

A large part of me loves that in every conference realignment scenario, Baylor gets screwed.

Jul 31, 2008
I can't imagine the Big 12 surviving without OU & Texas, because the TV money would plummet. ESPN & Fox aren't going to pay nearly as much for TV rights to a conference with no blueblood football programs. If this materializes, this is how I see the dominoes falling:
1. The SEC adds OU & Texas to get to 16.
2. The Big Ten adds ISU & KU to get to 16.
3. The ACC adds WVU and one of the Texas schools to get to 16.
4. The Pac 12 adds the remaining 4 schools to get to 16.
5. Someone could end up getting left out if Notre Dame ends up joining a conference. K-State could end up being the odd man out. They could end up in the AAC.

Reasons why this would suck:
1. The Pac 12 is considered to be the weakest P5 conference.
2. The Pac 12 has the lowest P5 conference payout.
3. The game times would be really late.
4. It would be a very poor fit politically.

I hope this is just smoke. I don't see it ending well for us.
BIG isn't taking ISU for same academic reasons they wouldn't take us. Everyone keeps thinking geography here and connection to Iowa. But won't happen.

Jul 31, 2008
Ain't gonna happen. OU has it made in the Big 12. There is zero chance that that was from a credible source.
Yup. 0U and uT want some concessions in the Big12 and are flexing their muscles.
If those that think we are going to 64 team, 4 divisions, why why why would uT and 0U want to be in the same division as Bama, Georgia, LSU, ect ? They'd be better off waiting for that realignment and being the king pins in their Division.

Jul 31, 2008
They
Any permutation where Bama doesn't move likely increases the "no" votes, especially if A&M runs a full press on it. Arkansas doesn't want to be in the east. Auburn won't separate from Bama. If A&M, Arkansas, Mizzou, and Auburn vote no, it's over.
They'll just move A&M to the East instead of Bama.
Mizzu is in the East, so it isn't based on geography

Aug 19, 2006
Interesting take. In an odd way, it could actually decrease the odds of OU and Texas making the playoff year-in and year-out while increasing the odds for OSU.

OrangeFan69

LA Face with an Okla. booty.
A/V Subscriber
Apr 24, 2010
Los Angeles 90046
instagram.com
Interesting take. In an odd way, it could actually decrease the odds of OU and Texas making the playoff year-in and year-out while increasing the odds for OSU.
I think it would be more difficult to recruit top tier athletes as a G5 competing for players in SEC, Pac 12, ACC and Big 10 Schools.

Aug 19, 2006
I think it would be more difficult to recruit top tier athletes as a G5 competing for players in SEC, Pac 12, ACC and Big 10 Schools.
True but there's probably not a playoff scenario where more than two teams make it out of the SEC in a given year. Good luck slugging it out with Bama, Florida, Georgia and Auburn every season for one of those spots.

Iowa State, Kansas and Texas all belong to the Association of American Universities (AAU).
Nebraska was an AAU member when it joined the B10, but lost that when the AAU changed its criteria to devalue ag research. This is supposedly part of a rift that currently exists with Neb and the rest of the B10. This was magnified when Neb wanted to play football while the others had no spine.

OrangeFan69

LA Face with an Okla. booty.
A/V Subscriber
Apr 24, 2010
Los Angeles 90046
instagram.com
Nebraska was an AAU member when it joined the B10, but lost that when the AAU changed its criteria to devalue ag research. This is supposedly part of a rift that currently exists with Neb and the rest of the B10. This was magnified when Neb wanted to play football while the others had no spine.

no spine??? Bless your heart ~ Nebraska didn't have as many cases cities like Detroit, Minneapolis, Chicago, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Columbus, Cincinnati.