Big 12 Realignment thread, 2021 version

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

What conference would you like to see OSU join?

• ACC

• Big Ten

• PAC-12

• Expanded Big 12

• Other (please explain)

Results are only viewable after voting.
Sep 29, 2006
I think something like this is a more likely scenario, the entire system is going to break down and be built back up in a totally different manner. The NCAA has pretty much thrown in the towel already, and they were the only thing that kept this game even close to a level playing field. People keep talking about 4 16 team super conferences, but if OU and Texas join the SEC, that league will be so completely ahead of all the others, then the idea of 3 other conferences kinda goes out the window too. This has the feel to me of something more like 32 teams in a "money" league of some kind, and the rest of us being more like true amateur sports used to be, and maybe that's not a bad thing in the long run.
This very much

Nov 6, 2010
I don't see this happening. A&M will lose the minds and do everything to prevent UT from joining the SEC. It's the entire reason they left. Bama would have to shift to the east and they don't want that either. There will be political ramifications here and in Texas. Add that to problematic TV deals where those two can't join any other conference until 2026 and this just doesn't seem feasible. Maybe someday, but seems improbable at the moment and not in this way.
The only thing IMO that keeps this from happening is the other SEC schools. You point A&M and you can probably throw Mizzou in that boat as well, but what will the rest think? I'm not sure Miss. State or Vandy wants another auto loss or two on their schedule every year, but money talks. The TV stuff would be worked out in a heartbeat, and I have to think has already been at least tentatively addressed with ESPN. The LHN will never survive long term anyway, so that's not an issue. College football has ceased to exist the way we're used to seeing it, and the big dogs will be at the forefront of reshaping it to their liking.

One thing I think the blue bloods are underestimating is the damage they'll do to the viewership if they continue to pursue completely self-centered interests. The era of cord cutting is upon us, and I can speak for myself in that if this goes through and OSU is relegated to some kind of division 2 or whatever it will be in the aftermath, I will definitely cut the cord. I watch Texas/Iowa State Saturday night on ESPN because we're in the same league, and I'm sure a lot of other people do the same thing across the country. When that stops, so does my interest in any Texas game. Maybe they don't need the casual viewer, I don't know. But it seems like an awfully big chance to take in an era of declining interest in sports in general. They may very well kill the goose that laid the golden egg and become the next USFL.

Nov 27, 2007
Tulsa
To everyone saying aTm would try to block UT… How? That’s like a pento standing in front of a freight train. You think the rest of the SEC gives a damn about aTm’s feelings if it’s bringing in one of / if not the largest athletic departments in the country. One of the largest endowments. If Texas really wants in and SEC is open, there is not a thing aTm could do to stop it.

Mar 13, 2009
i like how some are acting like we have the choice to turn down the pac12. we could only be so lucky. its that or aac for us. give me the pac all day

Mar 13, 2009
I’m not even feeling extremely confident the PAC would offer. I felt a lot better about going as a package deal tbh
thats my point. only reason i think we get an offer is that there will be a rush to get to 16 just to stay relevant. they'll have to pick somebody. maybe its us

oSuAusTex

Territorial Marshal
Jul 24, 2005
Stillwater
(Cut/Paste from a part of an ESPN article regarding all this)

One potential obstacle for such a move, at least any time soon, is that Oklahoma and Texas signed a Big 12 grant-of-rights agreement, in which they granted their first- and second-tier media rights for football and men's basketball to the conference through June 30, 2025. That means the Big 12 would still own those schools' media rights for those sports -- even if they are no longer members -- until the agreement expires

So nothing will happen if at all until 2025. With the NIL now, will be interesting to see how college football will look like by then.

To everyone saying aTm would try to block UT… How? That’s like a pento standing in front of a freight train. You think the rest of the SEC gives a damn about aTm’s feelings if it’s bringing in one of / if not the largest athletic departments in the country. One of the largest endowments. If Texas really wants in and SEC is open, there is not a thing aTm could do to stop it.
11 of the current 14 SEC schools must approve the invitations per this article:

https://www.espn.com/college-footba...rk-speaks-report-texas-oklahoma-want-join-sec

A&M and Mizzou would likely vote no, as would Arkie. All 3 left for the SEC to remove themselves from what Texas was doing to their previous conferences. Texas essentially killed the Southwest Conference and nearly killed the Big12. I doubt they want to entertain that idea again.

That’s 3 No votes, minimum.

Now, consider that South Carolina and Florida both have resisted past attempts by Clemson and Florida State/Miami to flirt with the SEC. Both SC and Florida would easily align with A&M to block Texas in hopes they would return the favor if/when Clemson/FSU/Miami did come calling as Texas is now.

That’s 5 No votes.

I think it’s much more likely uo gets an invite and Texas gets told (unofficially) to go pound sand. That’s when we’ll likely see Texas start flirting with B10 and uo/OSU becomes a package deal to SEC. Especially after Stitt and state legislators get involved. Everyone needs to start emailing their state senator and representatives now.

May 4, 2011
Charleston, SC
11 of the current 14 SEC schools must approve the invitations per this article:

https://www.espn.com/college-footba...rk-speaks-report-texas-oklahoma-want-join-sec

A&M and Mizzou would likely vote no, as would Arkie. All 3 left for the SEC to remove themselves from what Texas was doing to their previous conferences. Texas essentially killed the Southwest Conference and nearly killed the Big12. I doubt they want to entertain that idea again.

That’s 3 No votes, minimum.

Now, consider that South Carolina and Florida both have resisted past attempts by Clemson and Florida State/Miami to flirt with the SEC. Both SC and Florida would easily align with A&M to block Texas in hopes they would return the favor if/when Clemson/FSU/Miami did come calling as Texas is now.

That’s 5 No votes.

I think it’s much more likely uo gets an invite and Texas gets told (unofficially) to go pound sand. That’s when we’ll likely see Texas start flirting with B10 and uo/OSU becomes a package deal to SEC. Especially after Stitt and state legislators get involved. Everyone needs to start emailing their state senator and representatives now.
Bama and Georgia also seem like likely no votes because this move would put them in a division together where they play each other every year and have to beat the other to just win their division.

snuffy

Calf fries are the original sack lunch.
Staff
A/V Subscriber
Feb 28, 2007
Oklahoma
Bama and Georgia also seem like likely no votes because this move would put them in a division together where they play each other every year and have to beat the other to just win their division.
I am pretty sure Bama is going to get what it wants in this deal, no matter who goes where.

May 4, 2011
Charleston, SC
I am pretty sure Bama is going to get what it wants in this deal, no matter who goes where.
Any permutation where Bama doesn't move likely increases the "no" votes, especially if A&M runs a full press on it. Arkansas doesn't want to be in the east. Auburn won't separate from Bama. If A&M, Arkansas, Mizzou, and Auburn vote no, it's over.

CocoCincinnati

Federal Marshal
Feb 7, 2007
Tulsa, OK
Interesting hypothetical question. Say ou and ut are doing this to squeeze something out of the big 12? Would we really be ok with those two schools getting, for example, a bigger cut of the tv deal than us other 8 schools or guaranteed better tv kickoff times? Or would we rather just burn the thing down out of spite?

andylicious

Territorial Marshal
Nov 16, 2013
tractor
Interesting hypothetical question. Say ou and ut are doing this to squeeze something out of the big 12? Would we really be ok with those two schools getting, for example, a bigger cut of the tv deal than us other 8 schools or guaranteed better tv kickoff times? Or would we rather just burn the thing down out of spite?
The other 8 should vote them out and extend an invite to Notre Dame, BYU, Colorado and the 'Zonas

Jostate

Identifies as a Cowboys fan
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
Remember when UT was getting the LHN and OU didn't oppose it because they got confused and thought they were big enough to do the same?

It would be ironic if the same thing happened again, OU joins hands to leave the conference then the SEC takes UT and leaves OU stranded in a weakened conference where everybody else is mad at them.