Big 12 Realignment thread, 2021 version

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

What conference would you like to see OSU join?

• ACC

• Big Ten

• PAC-12

• Expanded Big 12

• Other (please explain)

Results are only viewable after voting.
Jun 5, 2020
OKC
I also think it would benefit us more not to air our grievances so publicly either. While all of this is very public, I think taking the high road is a better tactic while looking for a new home.

To be clear, we go after every penny we can from both schools, but we aren’t getting a dime legislating it through Twitter.
I don't know who your are but I darn sure bet there are state
repsenatives that now know who is leading oSu. After all UO reports to UT now

wrenhal

Federal Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
Shame on us for not looking out for ourselves and thinking that OU or UT wouldn’t do that same. I hope I’m wrong and we have a plan that hasn’t yet come to light.
You would hope. If AD’s have a list of new hires for coaches in their desks, you’d hope any and all University Presidents and AD’s have the same back channel communications on their partnerships. Especially if you’re in the Big 12!
Holder and Hargis apparently laid groundwork before they left and Shrum and Weiberg have apparently been working on this for a couple of weeks now. That's what I heard this morning.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

TypicalGooner

Territorial Marshal
Oct 21, 2011
Norman Trailerpark
I wonder what Alabama was thinking when they signed a home and home with us this summer. Did they think we would land somewhere decent and would still satisfy SEC requirements? It seems odd they would have agreed to a home and home with a team with an uncertain future.
They were probably treating it as business as usual. They were in discussion about adding our soon to be former conferencemates but understood that could blow up and not happen.
Oklahoma already had future non conference meetings with Georgia, Tennessee, LSU and Alabama planned.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jun 5, 2020
OKC
Couple thoughts (sorry if some of this has already been stated)

1. I wasn't happy with Shrums statement. The statement last week I thought was enough. The second statement comes off as whiny and immature.

2. Those statements she made do worry me. If she had been on the phone with the Big 10 and they seemed receptive, would those statements be different? does the tone of those statement imply we are going to be left with a much lesser conference?

3. I think bedlam should at least be postponed a couple years. If OSU lands in Big10 or the like then we may not need bedlam as a revenue source. If we land in AAC or whatever is left of Big 12 etc. then that would be a useful revenue source

College sports is about to look a lot different though. Sucks the impact football will have on the other sports though. College football may become semipro, but the other sports don't carry that kind of weight yet.
1. You are not or will never be President of OSU. So We don't give a crap about you being happy?
2. The, as you call it B 10 - looking at you argument just makes me sleepy. We are not AAU - OK dude
3. Dream land

oSuAusTex

Territorial Marshal
Jul 24, 2005
Stillwater
One small tidbit regarding ou going sec. Say goodbye to ou wrestling.

I grew up with 7,200 fan sell-out crowds in Gallagher Hall when the goons visited.

Move ahead to present times and ou gymnastics has pretty much taken over ou wrestling regarding
fan attendance. ou wrestling has barley been hanging on since.

Now that they are heading to the sec (and sec has NO wrestling), where will ou wrestling go?

The Big 12 (as long as it lasts) had better not f**king offer them to stick around as a wrestling only member.

Will be interesting to see where they end up.

Not sure I would want to see them even as a non-conference opponent. And that would be ONLY
in GIA. For sure NEVER agree to visit that little gym on the ou campus they currently wrestle in.

Jun 5, 2020
OKC
We do have a pretty good slate of Women's and Men's sports that are somewhat attractive to the PAC 12

Women
Golf
Tennis
Track
Cross Country
Basketball
Softball

Men
Golf
Tennis
Track
Cross Country
Basketball
Wrestling
Baseball

I'm sure I've missed some sports =-

remember the PAC 12 is the last enclave of Olympic sports and oSu plays A BUNCH OF THISE SPORTS.

Jul 24, 2007
Edmond
The value needed to be included in a Power conference is simple. Do we add more value than the average value per team. Think about it. There are a lot of dog programs in all the power conferences that bring less value than OSU (Vandy, Rutgers, Wake Forest, Washington State) Especially when we think about the new standard, it’s no longer about markets, it’s about brand and ratings and we are 3rd in the Big 12 easily. I think we find a home in a power conf.

Jun 5, 2020
OKC
The value needed to be included in a Power conference is simple. Do we add more value than the average value per team. Think about it. There are a lot of dog programs in all the power conferences that bring less value than OSU (Vandy, Rutgers, Wake Forest, Washington State) Especially when we think about the new standard, it’s no longer about markets, it’s about
brand and ratings and we are 3rd in the Big 12 easily. I think we find a home in a power conf.

Agree with you, the Olympic sports are dressing but, buyers like a good suit. I think we have what the PAC 12 Needs, good football, good Men's BB; great woman's softball OK Women's BB and all the above.

UrbanCowboy1

Some cowboys gots smarts real good like me.
Aug 8, 2006
Phoenix, AZ
ESPN would have a hard time defending itself in court with the B12. Here's another scenario circulating.

This is so sad I have to believe it's true.

Only benefit: UT and OU have to pay out the penalties to the Big..16. The big suck. Whatever you call this monstrosity. Last check the penalty is so big that it will take over a decade to break even from a TV contract perspective. I would enjoy that quite a bit.

May 31, 2007
OK & CA
This is so sad I have to believe it's true.

Only benefit: UT and OU have to pay out the penalties to the Big..16. The big suck. Whatever you call this monstrosity. Last check the penalty is so big that it will take over a decade to break even from a TV contract perspective. I would enjoy that quite a bit.
That scenario is bad just at face value. It’s even worse if OSU isn’t in a pod with the 3 Texas schools. If this scenario came true OSU is much better off being lumped in with TCU, BU, and TT. Find another “north” team like CSU or Air Force to dance with KU, ISU, and KSU.

Jan 13, 2008
Corinth, TX & Graz, Austria
I

I don’t disagree with you really. But right now is a pretty critical time for the future of our university, sometimes calling it as you see it doesn’t always come across the way you intended to others. That’s my main concern, the goons and their buddies are gone. No war of words is bringing them back or adding money to our pockets. We are basically job searching now and our possible future employers are taking a lot into account, including their opinion of our leadership. Maybe it doesn’t matter at all, but it definitely doesn’t help.

Also, while I’m sure this will be wildly unpopular here, one of our possible selling points would be that we can bring a marquee OOC game every year with bedlam. The Tulsa World has an article saying that ou indicated they wanted that game to continue moving forward but so far OSU sources haven’t said their thoughts one way or another. Hate to screw the pooch to the point so that little carrot goes away.
I would rather OSU go and get a OOC game against a P5 in the Southeast, Midwest, or West coast, than play an additional game in the state of Oklahoma. Obviously the OOC game location depends on what conference OSU ends up in.

Last edited:
Aug 16, 2012
How many teams have to leave before it officially is no more?? We could be first or last to leave, as long as there is no conference there is no pay out as I understand it.
When OU/UT leave, the payout for any remaining teams that leave will not be anywhere the same since the second those two leave, our media contracts will immediately be rescinded/renegotiated and the conference will not be paid near as much for the media rights. It is a fine line to walk. Clearly when the buyout stipulation was put in place there was no foresight into the ramifications of the top two money makers leaving at the same time.

osupsycho

MAXIMUM EFFORT!!!
A/V Subscriber
Apr 20, 2005
Valhalla
When OU/UT leave, the payout for any remaining teams that leave will not be anywhere the same since the second those two leave, our media contracts will immediately be rescinded/renegotiated and the conference will not be paid near as much for the media rights. It is a fine line to walk. Clearly when the buyout stipulation was put in place there was no foresight into the ramifications of the top two money makers leaving at the same time.
ESPN may not be so quick to cut that money as it will only incentivize the remaining conference members to sue them for causing OU and UT to leave. If they also think the conference will dissolve before the end of the contract they will likely hold off.

Sep 29, 2011
Breckenridge, CO
When anyone starts evaluating which conference would target OSU, and which conference OSU would target, and which conference you as a fan would target, there are certain factors to consider, but more importantly there are certain factors that should not be dismissed or minimized. To wit:

1. Athletic fit - clearly we are an athletic fit for any conference. Most if not all of our sports would raise the overall level of competition in any conference. In fact, we are far and away the most desirable athletic department not already in the SEC, ACC, B10 or P12.

2. Financial fit - it is reported we are the most watched football program not in the SEC, ACC, B10 or PAC 12. My sense is we would certainly be an incremental “value add” to the ACC, B10 and PAC12, and probably even the SEC.

3. Academic fit - this is where it starts to get tougher. From bottom to top, the SEC doesn’t care, the ACC is a little more academically inclined but academics probably wouldn’t be a roadblock, the PAC12 will certainly consider academics but would likely accept a non-AAU member if the other criteria was strong enough, the B10’s AAU requirement may be a bridge too far, but I suppose that could change. Clearly this is more of an issue for the conferences seeking to expand than it is for the targets.

4. Geographical fit - I won’t insult anyone with a geography lesson, but from best to worst it’s SEC, B10, ACC the PAC12. At the end of the day, geography can be overcome, but it can have meaningful negative financial, game day performance and recruiting impacts.

5. Cultural fit - I don’t think this gets enough attention or consideration. In these days, we as a country are divided by “culture” more than any point in our recent past. From an athletic standpoint, this was never more evident than in 2020. The B12 and SEC played as close to a regular season as logistics would allow. The ACC tried, but was mostly confined to a conference only approach. The B10 bowed to supposed medical academics and let unsubstantiated health concerns almost tank their season. The PAC12 was run mostly by west coast politics and turned into a complete disaster. Further, the PAC12s distaste for religiously affiliated schools only reinforces cultural differences. Sometimes cultures that espouse inclusivity aren’t really inclusive of cultures that aren’t them. I personally see culture as the de facto tie-breaker. Why go to a different culture unless it’s you’re only viable option.

Last edited:
Aug 16, 2012
ESPN may not be so quick to cut that money as it will only incentivize the remaining conference members to sue them for causing OU and UT to leave. If they also think the conference will dissolve before the end of the contract they will likely hold off.
If I am not mistaken, ESPN is not associated with the Tier I rights. Fox is the one who would be the one trying to sell advertising time without the two marquee names (I just puked a little in my mouth) of the conference. I could see them opening a renegotiation at 30-40% of current value.

osupsycho

MAXIMUM EFFORT!!!
A/V Subscriber
Apr 20, 2005
Valhalla
If I am not mistaken, ESPN is not associated with the Tier I rights. Fox is the one who would be the one trying to sell advertising time without the two marquee names (I just puked a little in my mouth) of the conference. I could see them opening a renegotiation at 30-40% of current value.
Was not sure myself so looked it up. Fox and ESPN share the tier 1 rights for the conference. So who knows how it will work out. But I have a feeling there is a lot of moving parts before we ever get to that.

Sep 29, 2011
Breckenridge, CO
Regarding a 32-team super league. IMO it will never happen with only 32 teams. The reason? There are currently 3 big players in media rights - ESPN, Fox and the BTN. ESPN has the SEC, ACC and part of the B10. Fox has a bigger part of B10 and PAC12. The BTN has the B10. Clearly the SEC and ESPN would be front and center in any 32-team only league. But unless you believe Fox and the BTN are going to either bow out or fold, media rights, viewers and financial considerations would never end at 32.

Now, could there be a 64-team super league? Probably. In simple terms for example, ESPN could have their 32 teams, and Fox could have their 32 teams - ala the old NFL on CBS and AFL on NBC.

Given OSUs viewership, it’s hard to imagine being left out of a 64-team league.

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2011
Breckenridge, CO
Something to think about.

Fox just got torpedoed. They just lost two massive components to their college football financial portfolio. I imagine they will be working the phones in damage control to limit the bleeding and fortify their place going forward. OSU as the most valuable (except Notre Dame) unattached school, will be a clear target for Fox to obtain either via the B10 or PAC12.