Big 12 Realignment thread, 2021 version

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

What conference would you like to see OSU join?

• ACC

• Big Ten

• PAC-12

• Expanded Big 12

• Other (please explain)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Birry

Federal Marshal
Feb 6, 2007
Landlocked
There’s no way a deal would have happened this quickly. OU and Texas have been working this out with SEC behind the scenes for 6 months and nothing leaked until now. There’s a ton of work to be done before reaching an official result. Technically - Texas and OU haven’t even officially announced they’re leaving (even though everyone knows they are), just that they’re not renewing their contract. Without that being officially official, I’d think it makes moving forward publicly a little more difficult.
I assume that the lack of official announcement is purely related to their desire for the conference to dissolve prior to incurring financial penalties from the Big 12.

OstatePokes

Territorial Marshal
Aug 24, 2007
Knoxville, Tennessee
Two programs met for lunch one day. The topic of programs to play to pick up a non-conference victory came up. Alabama handed Oklahoma a business card for The Citadel. Oklahoma handed them…. Well you know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jokes aside, it is the home and home part that is surprising. Of course, OU is getting some laughs on SECRant for playing at Tulane. Maybe your joke is closer to reality than we realize.

Apr 14, 2017
Earth
Two programs met for lunch one day. The topic of programs to play to pick up a non-conference victory came up. Alabama handed Oklahoma a business card for The Citadel. Oklahoma handed them…. Well you know.

Oh how I won’t miss OU football fans. Shouldn’t you be practicing your sec sec chant and joining your new best buds on secrant.

TypicalGooner

Territorial Marshal
Oct 21, 2011
Norman Trailerpark
Jokes aside, it is the home and home part that is surprising. Of course, OU is getting some laughs on SECRant for playing at Tulane. Maybe your joke is closer to reality than we realize.
I can see the appeal to scheduling OSU as an OOC. You guys are always near the top of the conference and the stadium is a fun experience. I can definitely see why they chose to do a home/home.

And it’s all jokes. Despite how some perceive them.

andylicious

Territorial Marshal
Nov 16, 2013
tractor

Then the goons left and Alabama called up Florida and said, "I will pay you your dollar tomorrow. I didn't think they would fall for it"

Osuc

Greenhorn
Sep 10, 2016
Tonkawa, hawaii
I look forward to new opponents, new places to visit, and welcoming new fans to Stillwater. Time we get away from Big Brother and have Coach Grundy take the program on the road. The winningest coach in OSU history will make you proud! This is a real opportunity to embrace and be positive about. Quit whining and start cheering.

TypicalGooner

Territorial Marshal
Oct 21, 2011
Norman Trailerpark
Oh how I won’t miss OU football fans. Shouldn’t you be practicing your sec sec chant and joining your new best buds on secrant.
You’re not done with Oklahoma yet.

And I guarantee any SEC chants are gonna be in a mocking fashion just like they’ve always been.

I think conference pride is pretty dumb. You notice it’s only the programs who can’t win on their own who do it.

Apr 14, 2017
Earth
You’re not done with Oklahoma yet.

And I guarantee any SEC chants are gonna be in a mocking fashion just like they’ve always been.

I think conference pride is pretty dumb. You notice it’s only the programs who can’t win on their own who do it.

I hope to never see sooner football fans again in Stillwater, minus this year.

cowboyinexile

Have some class
A/V Subscriber
Jun 29, 2004
Fairmont, MN
Your comments imply there is a chance we can end up in a strong spot. This is all already decided, and we're not invited to the party. It is done folks, deal with it.
I don't think so. It's likely backchannel discussions started weeks ago but the squats and sips started backchannel discussions months ago. These things take time.

Personally I'm optimistic for the PAC. B1G gets us a permanent seat at the big boys table but that is a pipe dream at best. ACC would be ok but if they get raided we are back in the same spot. And I'm not sure we add enough value to either of those leagues that we would warrant serous consideration.

But the Pac 12 is in a really precarious position that we could help with. Their biggest problem is they don't have enough early kicks. Every week there is a great game there we find out about the next morning because no one is staying up until 1 to watch them. If they get more 11AM and 230PM games that increases their value. Plus because of their timezone we are more likely to get prime time games on the road, which initially will have more buzz because it is new. The downside is we get 1-2 really late kickoffs but those are most likely to be against stiffs so the chance of an upset is reduced. And if the tradeoff is $30 mil/yr playing Oregon State and Cal really late vs $12 mil/yr playing Cincinnati in prime time on ESPN 2 when most of the country is watching Florida Texas on ABC, yeah give me the late game.

cowboyinexile

Have some class
A/V Subscriber
Jun 29, 2004
Fairmont, MN
I wonder what Alabama was thinking when they signed a home and home with us this summer. Did they think we would land somewhere decent and would still satisfy SEC requirements? It seems odd they would have agreed to a home and home with a team with an uncertain future.
They were probably treating it as business as usual. They were in discussion about adding our soon to be former conferencemates but understood that could blow up and not happen.

Feb 15, 2017
Texas
The trick is being the 3rd team to leave. 0u and uT can take the risk of actually having to pay the exit fee. OSU can not. We have to wait until the risk of paying $70M is off the table before we can commit to a new home

OSU125

Wrangler
Sep 2, 2014
The trick is being the 3rd team to leave. 0u and uT can take the risk of actually having to pay the exit fee. OSU can not. We have to wait until the risk of paying $70M is off the table before we can commit to a new home
How many teams have to leave before it officially is no more?? We could be first or last to leave, as long as there is no conference there is no pay out as I understand it.

May 4, 2011
Charleston, SC
I seem to remember ready that once the number of members reaches 3 the conference is disolved. Don't know with certainty that this fact.
I was pretty sure it stayed as long as there are at least 3. Thus, lose 8 members and the conference dissolves.

Oddly, I feel most bad for k state at this juncture. I honestly like them as a conference rival and all indications seem like they're going to get left in the cold.

Dec 7, 2006
I was pretty sure it stayed as long as there are at least 3. Thus, lose 8 members and the conference dissolves.

Oddly, I feel most bad for k state at this juncture. I honestly like them as a conference rival and all indications seem like they're going to get left in the cold.
Without conducting any research into the matter, I'd guess it's the number required to change the conference bylaws (except the GOR, which I think is a separate deal), so probably 75 percent of the members. Then it doesn't matter what the current bylaws say -- if enough people are leaving the party, they can vote in mass to change the rules to allow them to leave. Unfortunately, the last one there doesn't get to call itself the Big 12 and collect everyone's exit fees. Sorry, Kansas State.

May 4, 2011
Charleston, SC
Without conducting any research into the matter, I'd guess it's the number required to change the conference bylaws (except the GOR, which I think is a separate deal), so probably 75 percent of the members. Then it doesn't matter what the current bylaws say -- if enough people are leaving the party, they can vote in mass to change the rules to allow them to leave. Unfortunately, the last one there doesn't get to call itself the Big 12 and collect everyone's exit fees. Sorry, Kansas State.
That's still 8, now and after UT and OU leave.