Big 12 Realignment thread, 2021 version

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

What conference would you like to see OSU join?

• ACC

• Big Ten

• PAC-12

• Expanded Big 12

• Other (please explain)

Results are only viewable after voting.

OSU125

Wrangler
Sep 2, 2014
Shame on us for not looking out for ourselves and thinking that OU or UT wouldn’t do that same. I hope I’m wrong and we have a plan that hasn’t yet come to light.
You would hope. If AD’s have a list of new hires for coaches in their desks, you’d hope any and all University Presidents and AD’s have the same back channel communications on their partnerships. Especially if you’re in the Big 12!

OctaviusRexLTH

Deputy
A/V Subscriber
Aug 16, 2019
Alabama
Your comments imply there is a chance we can end up in a strong spot. This is all already decided, and we're not invited to the party. It is done folks, deal with it.
We’re not invited to the SEC, but I completely disagree that everything is decided. If everything was decided it would have definitely leaked or been announced. If this were true, why does no one have any idea where any schools are going? I highly doubt ALL 8 of the big 12 remnants do not end up in another power conference

OSU125

Wrangler
Sep 2, 2014
We’re not invited to the SEC, but I completely disagree that everything is decided. If everything was decided it would have definitely leaked or been announced.
I agree, on the long shot we were to get into the Big 10 we came out better than we started. PAC-12 or ACC and we are really no worse off and it could be exciting to see a few of their marquee teams in BPS.

I hope it doesn’t drag out too long. I hate the uncertainty more than anything. Kinda banking on the super conference league thing not happening for at least a decade. Give us more time to prove what we can do in another p5(4) conference

Jan 14, 2006
To me this kinda depends. If we land in a power conference and have (somewhat) comparable resources with a real shot to compete and win, maybe I’d like it to continue. Especially if it was something that’d make us more attractive to another power conference.

if we get relegated to the G5 and have to watch OU kick our teeth in every year with the resources they get by screwing us, heeeellllll no
The opposite is what will happen. If we get into a P4, especially the Big 10 we can tell them to shove it. If we get left behind we'll be happy to take the little brother whooping just to buy softball uniforms.

OctaviusRexLTH

Deputy
A/V Subscriber
Aug 16, 2019
Alabama
Exactly, no leaks=no news=BIG PROBLEMS. I hope I'm wrong
There’s no way a deal would have happened this quickly. OU and Texas have been working this out with SEC behind the scenes for 6 months and nothing leaked until now. There’s a ton of work to be done before reaching an official result. Technically - Texas and OU haven’t even officially announced they’re leaving (even though everyone knows they are), just that they’re not renewing their contract. Without that being officially official, I’d think it makes moving forward publicly a little more difficult.

Jan 14, 2006
Nope, but I am someone that runs a business and do make decisions on people based on how I perceive their character and if that is someone I want to do business with. And that does include seeing what they feel necessary to put out there on the Internet for all to see.

Again, I 100% agree with her, and I could care less to hurt ou’s feelings. All I care about is putting OSU’s best foot forward and taking shots at anyone publicly is not the way to do that and any and all PR professionals, head hunters, etc will tell you the exact same thing.

for everyone so happy that she addressed it in such a way, explain to me what she said that was not already known and needed to be known and how exactly it benefited OSU other than feeling good to hit send. I’m really am curious if there’s some angle I’m missing here.
Great point. Like I said earlier, I think there's more going on. You don't make comments like she's made the last few days without knowing something more. I wouldn't be surprised if we work things out "for the state of Oklahoma" and end up in the SEC.

OSU125

Wrangler
Sep 2, 2014
Great point. Like I said earlier, I think there's more going on. You don't make comments like she's made the last few days without knowing something more. I wouldn't be surprised if we work things out "for the state of Oklahoma" and end up in the SEC.
I hope you’re right, not really about the secsecsec but that we have a something good in the works. I’m actually strangely excited about not being in a conference with ou or texas (so long as we end in a P5 conference).

Jan 14, 2006
There’s no way a deal would have happened this quickly. OU and Texas have been working this out with SEC behind the scenes for 6 months and nothing leaked until now. There’s a ton of work to be done before reaching an official result. Technically - Texas and OU haven’t even officially announced they’re leaving (even though everyone knows they are), just that they’re not renewing their contract. Without that being officially official, I’d think it makes moving forward publicly a little more difficult.
For sure. We can't risk being first. OU and Texas must be official or simultaneous. We don't want any part of a buyout.

Sep 8, 2014
The back 40
Right now I feel there is little chance we get into the big 10 (unless somebody thinks that’s a move that can someway lock Ohio state in place...don’t know how that works) and we can’t get into the sec (honestly...I don’t want to...if we wanted to go pro we should move to Dallas).

Me? I like the pac (are you really scared of anybody who would be in our division?) or the ACC (again, good shot at the championship game). I would feel pretty bad about relegation unless there is some kind of deal where the playoff expands to 12 with a guaranteed spot for the AAC champ...still feel bad but we again have a good shot at the playoffs...

marvin7

Greenhorn
Dec 12, 2020
OKC
This is an extremely debatable topic for me, I think every OSU fan knows exactly how much success we’ve had in football in the past 11-12 years however I firmly believe that if we had more conference championships we would not even be debating about which conference we might go or if we can even get into one at all. If anything I would say OSU fans OVERESTIMATE how much those wins actually mean to other people. If you’ve seen the graphic that shows the overall records in the big xII over the last 7-8 years whatever it is and has Texas in 5th or whatever, OSU is in 2nd and to most people outside of the big xII that is a complete shock. I understand it also has A LOT to do with OSU being a small market but you would think a p5 team that is consistently winning or competing in conference championships would have no problem being pulled into the SEC or BIG.
Well, it's too much of a rabbit hole to really get into it, and I don't really blame those outside of our state for not realizing it, but over recent years I've consistently seen examples of our fans underestimating the quality of the teams we've fielded in the Gundy era. The replies in this very thread are strongly weighted towards the 'not realizing we are comfortably a top 25 team mentality. ...which is why it felt like a particularly appropriate time for me to bring it up. And I'd bet a ton of fans on this board would be surprised about that stat I mentioned (that puts us in the company of the biggest programs in football).

I don't know what to say about your statement that, if anything, OSU fans overestimate the importance of their won-loss record. If that's been your experience, it's pretty hard for me to believe, but I guess only you can speak to that.

But I do agree that the lack of conference championships, aka beating OU, is factoring into the mentality I'm talking about. I also figure some fans have a long history with this team that tints their vision, whereas I only started paying attention when I became a student after Gundy was hired. Relatively speaking, all my OSU experience has been winning.

marvin7

Greenhorn
Dec 12, 2020
OKC
Me? I like the pac (are you really scared of anybody who would be in our division?) or the ACC (again, good shot at the championship game). I would feel pretty bad about relegation unless there is some kind of deal where the playoff expands to 12 with a guaranteed spot for the AAC champ...still feel bad but we again have a good shot at the playoffs...
Well, your above take has made me feel better about the Pac12 or ACC possibility than anything else I've heard.

Apr 7, 2006
We've been aware there was something brewing for a couple months. We weren't caught completely flat footed as much as many want to believe we're going to shut the university down.

Jul 27, 2011
Bixby
It doesn't really matter if it's easier to get a playoff berth in the AAC. What matters is that AAC members get ~$9 million in revenue and OSU has been getting ~$38 million.

Congratulations, we can make more playoffs. But at a significant and drastic cost to the athletic department at large. The impact of losing $30 million each year would be devastating to OSU sports as we know them.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

OstatePokes

Territorial Marshal
Aug 24, 2007
Knoxville, Tennessee
I wonder what Alabama was thinking when they signed a home and home with us this summer. Did they think we would land somewhere decent and would still satisfy SEC requirements? It seems odd they would have agreed to a home and home with a team with an uncertain future.

TypicalGooner

Territorial Marshal
Oct 21, 2011
Norman Trailerpark
I wonder what Alabama was thinking when they signed a home and home with us this summer. Did they think we would land somewhere decent and would still satisfy SEC requirements? It seems odd they would have agreed to a home and home with a team with an uncertain future.
Two programs met for lunch one day. The topic of programs to play to pick up a non-conference victory came up. Alabama handed Oklahoma a business card for The Citadel. Oklahoma handed them…. Well you know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk