Big 12 Realignment thread, 2021 version

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

What conference would you like to see OSU join?

• ACC

• Big Ten

• PAC-12

• Expanded Big 12

• Other (please explain)

Results are only viewable after voting.

andylicious

Territorial Marshal
Nov 16, 2013
tractor
Nope, but I am someone that runs a business and do make decisions on people based on how I perceive their character and if that is someone I want to do business with. And that does include seeing what they feel necessary to put out there on the Internet for all to see.

Again, I 100% agree with her, and I could care less to hurt ou’s feelings. All I care about is putting OSU’s best foot forward and taking shots at anyone publicly is not the way to do that and any and all PR professionals, head hunters, etc will tell you the exact same thing.

for everyone so happy that she addressed it in such a way, explain to me what she said that was not already known and needed to be known and how exactly it benefited OSU other than feeling good to hit send. I’m really am curious if there’s some angle I’m missing here.
It boils down to are you looking at yourself as worthy of being at the adult's table or are you stuck at the kid's table? She is pointing out, quite well, that this isn't 30 years ago and we deserve our place as well. You either stand up or get ran over, she's standing up.

Apr 27, 2006
I would much rather deal with a honest straight forward person-organization than a slick smile in your face and stab you in the back one. While the smile & stab you types might put more dollars in the bank it probably is close to wash because of the trouble they bring and the extra effort to constantly watch your back

Jonkr06

Territorial Marshal
Aug 18, 2007
Katy, TX
https://twitter.com/drshrum/status/1419770976531738645?s=20

I understand what she’s saying, but no one cares. This entire thing is about money and greed, no one is going to give 2 flips about how we were “wronged”. The payout is going to be nothing compared to the losses we will sustain if we are left out in the cold. It’s time to move on and focus on our future.
Agreed. The statement should have stopped at being disappointed with how things played out, but looking to the future. There's no time to look back.

Dec 12, 2020
OKC
Your missing the point its not about the W-L its about the eyeballs that watch TV. If we had 30,000 more seats and a waiting list for season tickets, none of this would be a problem.
Point taken that our eyeballs don't match our output yet, but let's not act like winning isn't a huge part of "the point". It shows where the program is at now and is likely going, as opposed to what it was 20 and 50 years ago. Earlier in this long thread someone posted the stats that we have the best tv ratings of anyone in the Big 12 that's being left behind.

OSU125

Wrangler
Sep 2, 2014
I think sometimes OSU fans underestimate how successful we've been in football because we always seem to fall short against OU.

It's a little less convincing to point out after recent 7 & 8 win seasons (last COVID season's 8-3 winning % is roughly akin to a 9.5 win season, though),
...but just before that (from 2010 to 2017) we were coming out of an 8 year period where you could count on two hands the number of schools in the power five* that had as many 10 win seasons as us: Alabama, Clemson, OU, Ohio State, Wisconsin, and I forget the other 3 right now. And the two seasons prior to that we had 9 wins!

Maybe I'm not being realistic, but my perspective is that if anything, athletically speaking, we're too good for the barely relevant Pac-12 and the ACC. Not counting Notre Dame, ever notice how uninspiring the other non-Clemson teams are in the ACC?

*Maybe the entire NCAA. I forget which it was because it's been a couple of years since I looked into it.
No doubt we are a top 20 team and Athletic department. But it all comes down to money, if adding us increases their contract so that we aren’t taking money out of the other schools pockets then I think we won’t have a problem.
I’ve seen numbers elsewhere that show we are top 20 overall tv audience as well, in all cases better than the vast majority of the teams in all the conferences we seem to be trying to work with. But I really don’t know what that average audience has to be to move the needle.

Jul 5, 2020
Broken Arrow
…for everyone so happy that she addressed it in such a way, explain to me what she said that was not already known and needed to be known and how exactly it benefited OSU other than feeling good to hit send. I’m really am curious if there’s some angle I’m missing here.
I’ll just say this, it’s refreshing to finally see someone in charge take such a stand. Approve or not, like it or not, she came out and made her feelings known AS PRESIDENT of our university. She also indirectly sent a message there’s a new sheriff in town, and unlike past administrations we’re not afraid to call someone out when it’s warranted. In the grand scheme of things it may not be anything significant, but it’s nice to know we have someone willing to at least take some kind of action, rather than just sit back and play Mr. Nice Guy/Ms. Nice Lady and not hurt anyone’s feelings.

OSU125

Wrangler
Sep 2, 2014
I’ll just say this, it’s refreshing to finally see someone in charge take such a stand. Approve or not, like it or not, she came out and made her feelings known AS PRESIDENT of our university. She also indirectly sent a message there’s a new sheriff in town, and unlike past administrations we’re not afraid to call someone out when it’s warranted. In the grand scheme of things it may not be anything significant, but it’s nice to know we have someone willing to at least take some kind of action, rather than just sit back and play Mr. Nice Guy/Ms. Nice Lady and not hurt anyone’s feelings.
I can see that view for sure.

Nov 6, 2010
Agreed. The statement should have stopped at being disappointed with how things played out, but looking to the future. There's no time to look back.
Are you kidding?? She is being forward thinking. There is no future for OSU and ou together. Lay every bit of groundwork you can to enforce the GOR, and make them pay to exit. There is simply no downside. During Holder's regime, there was always a bit of a hope/facade that we could tag along with Texas and to some extent ou for our long term benefit. I challenge anyone to lay out a long term benefit to playing nice with them at this point.

Jan 15, 2017
Enid
I think sometimes OSU fans underestimate how successful we've been in football because we always seem to fall short against OU.

It's a little less convincing to point out after recent 7 & 8 win seasons (last COVID season's 8-3 winning % is roughly akin to a 9.5 win season, though),
...but just before that (from 2010 to 2017) we were coming out of an 8 year period where you could count on two hands the number of schools in the power five* that had as many 10 win seasons as us: Alabama, Clemson, OU, Ohio State, Wisconsin, and I forget the other 3 right now. And the two seasons prior to that we had 9 wins!

Maybe I'm not being realistic, but my perspective is that if anything, athletically speaking, we're too good for the barely relevant Pac-12 and the ACC. Not counting Notre Dame, ever notice how uninspiring the other non-Clemson teams are in the ACC?

*Maybe the entire NCAA. I forget which it was because it's been a couple of years since I looked into it.
This is an extremely debatable topic for me, I think every OSU fan knows exactly how much success we’ve had in football in the past 11-12 years however I firmly believe that if we had more conference championships we would not even be debating about which conference we might go or if we can even get into one at all. If anything I would say OSU fans OVERESTIMATE how much those wins actually mean to other people. If you’ve seen the graphic that shows the overall records in the big xII over the last 7-8 years whatever it is and has Texas in 5th or whatever, OSU is in 2nd and to most people outside of the big xII that is a complete shock. I understand it also has A LOT to do with OSU being a small market but you would think a p5 team that is consistently winning or competing in conference championships would have no problem being pulled into the SEC or BIG.

Jan 14, 2006
What I'm saying is if you want to be a part of that group, then the only way to vote is with your pocketbook. Boone got us to a point where we're even in fringe consideration and he's no longer with us.
Fair point and it's the same thing I'd like to say to those who whine about our recruiting.

Jan 14, 2006
Unfortunately, I’ve found more fans bashing the thought of “okie lite” in their conference than being supportive. Given we have been better than almost all their teams for the last 15 years or so, but somehow we aren’t good enough.

Would love to see some positive fan reaction to us if you can attach a link or two! Might make me feel a little better!
Just search "ok st" sec or big 10 on Twitter. Lots of positive talk about is.

Jonkr06

Territorial Marshal
Aug 18, 2007
Katy, TX
Are you kidding?? She is being forward thinking. There is no future for OSU and ou together. Lay every bit of groundwork you can to enforce the GOR, and make them pay to exit. There is simply no downside. During Holder's regime, there was always a bit of a hope/facade that we could tag along with Texas and to some extent ou for our long term benefit. I challenge anyone to lay out a long term benefit to playing nice with them at this point.
I think the GOR should absolutely be enforced and ties should absolutely be severed. Just don't think it was necessary to put it in an official statement. The statement should be focused on what we are doing to secure our future and that's it. Just my opinion which of course means nothing.

OSU125

Wrangler
Sep 2, 2014
Who said anything about playing nice? No one. Her statement does not make the GOR any more or any less enforceable.

The downside is Big 10, PAC 12, and ACC Administrators may not care to be in business with someone they view as an outspoken university president. In their minds they could be thinking “so if she disagrees with something I say or do am I next?”

Maybe they don’t care at all, I don’t know. But there’s a reason why the saying is “The loudest one in the room, is the weakest one in the room.” Sometimes there’s wisdom in playing your cards close to your chest.

OctaviusRexLTH

Deputy
A/V Subscriber
Aug 16, 2019
Alabama
Who said anything about playing nice? No one. Her statement does not make the GOR any more or any less enforceable.

The downside is Big 10, PAC 12, and ACC Administrators may not care to be in business with someone they view as an outspoken university president. In their minds they could be thinking “so if she disagrees with something I say or do am I next?”

Maybe they don’t care at all, I don’t know. But there’s a reason why the saying is “The loudest one in the room, is the weakest one in the room.” Sometimes there’s wisdom in playing your cards close to your chest.
We shall see. If we end up in a strong spot, I’ll like her words more. I would love seeing her stick it to the goons while we prosper without them.

If we end up with a severe downgrade, they won’t age well IMO. It would look pretty whiny.

OSU125

Wrangler
Sep 2, 2014
Just search "ok st" sec or big 10 on Twitter. Lots of positive talk about is.
I haven’t checked Twitter on that yet, so I’m sure you’re right. Some of the forums similar to this one are where I’ve been trying to get a feel for their thoughts. Of course all of them seem to be more in favor of contraction and not expansion, so I’m setting myself up for disappointment I suppose!

Nov 6, 2010
We shall see. If we end up in a strong spot, I’ll like her words more. I would love seeing her stick it to the goons while we prosper without them.

If we end up with a severe downgrade, they won’t age well IMO. It would look pretty whiny.
Your comments imply there is a chance we can end up in a strong spot. This is all already decided, and we're not invited to the party. It is done folks, deal with it.