Big 12 Realignment thread, 2021 version

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

What conference would you like to see OSU join?

• ACC

• Big Ten

• PAC-12

• Expanded Big 12

• Other (please explain)

Results are only viewable after voting.

OSU125

Wrangler
Sep 2, 2014
Maybe so. I'm choosing optimism until proven otherwise. Lots of positive things said about us by SEC, Big 10 and ACC fans wanting us in their conferences.

Now if Spencer Sanders could go ahead and lead us to the playoff while winning the Heisman I'd be really appreciative.
Unfortunately, I’ve found more fans bashing the thought of “okie lite” in their conference than being supportive. Given we have been better than almost all their teams for the last 15 years or so, but somehow we aren’t good enough.

Would love to see some positive fan reaction to us if you can attach a link or two! Might make me feel a little better!

andylicious

Territorial Marshal
Nov 16, 2013
tractor
Looks like all the folks that thinks OSU exists to please the goons are coming out in force. Playing the goons again should not happen no matter what media people say. I'm not sure who is more annoying The Sportsanimal, News9's Dean Blevins or PFB sharing their opinions.

Looks like all the folks that thinks OSU exists to please the goons are coming out in force. Playing the goons again should not happen no matter what media people say. I'm not sure who is more annoying The Sportsanimal, News9's Dean Blevins or PFB sharing their opinions.
You’re right. I haven’t listened to Okc sports radio in quite some time until today. They are completely obsessed with what’s going to happen to OSU and our president’s statements.

jetman

Federal Marshal
Nov 27, 2004
Edmond Oklahoma
Watched the Sports Blitz last night and Dean Blevins was patting OSU fans on the top of the head and telling us we have nothing to be ashamed of and we should hold our head up because we should be just fine. Gag.

OSU125

Wrangler
Sep 2, 2014
I
If she's to be believed about the nature of the relationship agreed upon by member Big 12 schools—who compete against each other, yes, but also work together as a conference to be competitive against other conferences, in this whole drama of what OU/TX did and what OSU did, Shrum is taking the high road. If you don't like it, I don't take issue with that. But saying the truth publicly does not equal 'low road.'

If she had acted like it's no big deal and said "hey, we're looking forward to exciting new opportunities!", the posturing would have been completely transparent anyway (and from my perspective, worthy of an eye roll). Of all the things to complain about right now, complaining about the straightforward nature of her tweets just seems silly to me.
I don’t disagree with you really. But right now is a pretty critical time for the future of our university, sometimes calling it as you see it doesn’t always come across the way you intended to others. That’s my main concern, the goons and their buddies are gone. No war of words is bringing them back or adding money to our pockets. We are basically job searching now and our possible future employers are taking a lot into account, including their opinion of our leadership. Maybe it doesn’t matter at all, but it definitely doesn’t help.

Also, while I’m sure this will be wildly unpopular here, one of our possible selling points would be that we can bring a marquee OOC game every year with bedlam. The Tulsa World has an article saying that ou indicated they wanted that game to continue moving forward but so far OSU sources haven’t said their thoughts one way or another. Hate to screw the pooch to the point so that little carrot goes away.

wrenhal

Federal Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
I also think it would benefit us more not to air our grievances so publicly either. While all of this is very public, I think taking the high road is a better tactic while looking for a new home.
If she's to be believed about the nature of the relationship agreed upon by member Big 12 schools—who compete against each other, yes, but also work together as a conference to be competitive against other conferences, in this whole drama of what OU/TX did and what OSU did, Shrum is taking the high road. If you don't like it, I don't take issue with that. But saying the truth publicly does not equal 'low road.'

If she had acted like it's no big deal and said "hey, we're looking forward to exciting new opportunities!", the posturing would have been completely transparent anyway (and from my perspective, worthy of an eye roll). Of all the things to complain about right now, complaining about the straightforward nature of her tweets just seems silly to me. I realize you didn't literally complain. Seemingly, a lot of people are, though, so I'm also addressing them via your post.
Besides, she's being straightforward and transparent, which is more than uo did. That in itself should count for something.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

wrenhal

Federal Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
Watched the Sports Blitz last night and Dean Blevins was patting OSU fans on the top of the head and telling us we have nothing to be ashamed of and we should hold our head up because we should be just fine. Gag.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

jetman

Federal Marshal
Nov 27, 2004
Edmond Oklahoma
I

I don’t disagree with you really. But right now is a pretty critical time for the future of our university, sometimes calling it as you see it doesn’t always come across the way you intended to others. That’s my main concern, the goons and their buddies are gone. No war of words is bringing them back or adding money to our pockets. We are basically job searching now and our possible future employers are taking a lot into account, including their opinion of our leadership. Maybe it doesn’t matter at all, but it definitely doesn’t help.

Also, while I’m sure this will be wildly unpopular here, one of our possible selling points would be that we can bring a marquee OOC game every year with bedlam. The Tulsa World has an article saying that ou indicated they wanted that game to continue moving forward but so far OSU sources haven’t said their thoughts one way or another. Hate to screw the pooch to the point so that little carrot goes away.
Were you also one of those fans who said we shouldn't try to recoup our money from Joe Wickline because it would make us look bad. Spend less time thinking we are going to hurt someone's feelings.

OSU125

Wrangler
Sep 2, 2014
I know this is the popular opinion, but that game is a very valuable game to our school. It puts butts in the seats and about 2x the eyes on the screen. If it is ooc then it works to benefit not just the goons and secsecsec but OSU and our future conference. While it is just one game, if money is what makes all this move, then dropping the game is cutting our nose to spite our face.

OctaviusRexLTH

Deputy
A/V Subscriber
Aug 16, 2019
Alabama
I know this is the popular opinion, but that game is a very valuable game to our school. It puts butts in the seats and about 2x the eyes on the screen. If it is ooc then it works to benefit not just the goons and secsecsec but OSU and our future conference. While it is just one game, if money is what makes all this move, then dropping the game is cutting our nose to spite our face.
To me this kinda depends. If we land in a power conference and have (somewhat) comparable resources with a real shot to compete and win, maybe I’d like it to continue. Especially if it was something that’d make us more attractive to another power conference.

if we get relegated to the G5 and have to watch OU kick our teeth in every year with the resources they get by screwing us, heeeellllll no

OSU125

Wrangler
Sep 2, 2014
Were you also one of those fans who said we shouldn't try to recoup our money from Joe Wickline because it would make us look bad. Spend less time thinking we are going to hurt someone's feelings.
Nope, but I am someone that runs a business and do make decisions on people based on how I perceive their character and if that is someone I want to do business with. And that does include seeing what they feel necessary to put out there on the Internet for all to see.

Again, I 100% agree with her, and I could care less to hurt ou’s feelings. All I care about is putting OSU’s best foot forward and taking shots at anyone publicly is not the way to do that and any and all PR professionals, head hunters, etc will tell you the exact same thing.

for everyone so happy that she addressed it in such a way, explain to me what she said that was not already known and needed to be known and how exactly it benefited OSU other than feeling good to hit send. I’m really am curious if there’s some angle I’m missing here.

Sep 29, 2010
Stillwater
Couple thoughts (sorry if some of this has already been stated)

1. I wasn't happy with Shrums statement. The statement last week I thought was enough. The second statement comes off as whiny and immature.

2. Those statements she made do worry me. If she had been on the phone with the Big 10 and they seemed receptive, would those statements be different? does the tone of those statement imply we are going to be left with a much lesser conference?

3. I think bedlam should at least be postponed a couple years. If OSU lands in Big10 or the like then we may not need bedlam as a revenue source. If we land in AAC or whatever is left of Big 12 etc. then that would be a useful revenue source

College sports is about to look a lot different though. Sucks the impact football will have on the other sports though. College football may become semipro, but the other sports don't carry that kind of weight yet.

OctaviusRexLTH

Deputy
A/V Subscriber
Aug 16, 2019
Alabama
Couple thoughts (sorry if some of this has already been stated)

1. I wasn't happy with Shrums statement. The statement last week I thought was enough. The second statement comes off as whiny and immature.

2. Those statements she made do worry me. If she had been on the phone with the Big 10 and they seemed receptive, would those statements be different? does the tone of those statement imply we are going to be left with a much lesser conference?

3. I think bedlam should at least be postponed a couple years. If OSU lands in Big10 or the like then we may not need bedlam as a revenue source. If we land in AAC or whatever is left of Big 12 etc. then that would be a useful revenue source

College sports is about to look a lot different though. Sucks the impact football will have on the other sports though. College football may become semipro, but the other sports don't carry that kind of weight yet.
If we had the meager resources of the AAC and OU had SEC recruits, we would basically be accepting a paycheck to get embarrassed. It doesn’t get more little bro than that

Sep 29, 2010
Stillwater
If we had the meager resources of the AAC and OU had SEC recruits, we would basically be accepting a paycheck to get embarrassed. It doesn’t get more little bro than that
You’re not wrong. But that may be where this is headed.

I’d also like to clarify. Im not saying we do play them or dont play them necessarily. Im saying take a break and reassess.

OctaviusRexLTH

Deputy
A/V Subscriber
Aug 16, 2019
Alabama
You’re not wrong. But that may be where this is headed.
I would almost feel like cutting off your nose to spite your face would be worth it at that point. Unless all that money was put towards academics and become a very prestigious academic university. Because I sure as hell wouldn’t want to support a football program like that. Our football program would exist to benefit OU

Dec 12, 2020
OKC
Maybe so. I'm choosing optimism until proven otherwise. Lots of positive things said about us by SEC, Big 10 and ACC fans wanting us in their conferences.

Now if Spencer Sanders could go ahead and lead us to the playoff while winning the Heisman I'd be really appreciative.
I think sometimes OSU fans underestimate how successful we've been in football because we always seem to fall short against OU.

It's a little less convincing to point out after recent 7 & 8 win seasons (last COVID season's 8-3 winning % is roughly akin to a 9.5 win season, though),
...but just before that (from 2010 to 2017) we were coming out of an 8 year period where you could count on two hands the number of schools in the power five* that had as many 10 win seasons as us: Alabama, Clemson, OU, Ohio State, Wisconsin, and I forget the other 3 right now. And the two seasons prior to that we had 9 wins!

Maybe I'm not being realistic, but my perspective is that if anything, athletically speaking, we're too good for the barely relevant Pac-12 and the ACC. Not counting Notre Dame, ever notice how uninspiring the other non-Clemson teams are in the ACC?

*Maybe the entire NCAA. I forget which it was because it's been a couple of years since I looked into it.