Big 12 Realignment thread, 2021 version

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

What conference would you like to see OSU join?

• ACC

• Big Ten

• PAC-12

• Expanded Big 12

• Other (please explain)

Results are only viewable after voting.
Sep 8, 2014
The back 40
That would be the end of college football. It would basically kill off half of the fan base and only have 12 to 16 games per week to peddle. That would be suicide for ESPN and college football and cap their potential earnings in half.

This may still happen if the B1G cherry-picks the PAC and SEC takes a few from the ACC. There would be 40 schools and no one else matters.
This is pretty much where it’s going.

Driven by streaming...

Nov 6, 2010
I understand what she’s saying, but no one cares. This entire thing is about money and greed, no one is going to give 2 flips about how we were “wronged”. The payout is going to be nothing compared to the losses we will sustain if we are left out in the cold. It’s time to move on and focus on our future.
Uh, enforceable contracts were signed, so lots of people, including judges will care. We and other schools can easily demonstrate damages. She understands the divorce is inevitable, let's get what we can from them. MAKE THEM PAY!!!

OSU125

Wrangler
Sep 2, 2014
I understand what she’s saying, but no one cares. This entire thing is about money and greed, no one is going to give 2 flips about how we were “wronged”. The payout is going to be nothing compared to the losses we will sustain if we are left out in the cold. It’s time to move on and focus on our future.
I also think it would benefit us more not to air our grievances so publicly either. While all of this is very public, I think taking the high road is a better tactic while looking for a new home.

To be clear, we go after every penny we can from both schools, but we aren’t getting a dime legislating it through Twitter.

Last edited:
Jan 14, 2006
If they want to go this way, then let them have their own March Madness, Omaha, OKC, etc. too. All sports. You guys do you, we will do us.
Respectfully, we've put so much into our program and come so far(thanks Boone) to compete at a national level in all sports. I have no interest in being the best of the rest. We owe it to every donor, alum, player and recruit to do everything possible to stay in the big leagues.

Nov 6, 2010
Respectfully, we've put so much into our program and come so far(thanks Boone) to compete at a national level in all sports. I have no interest in being the best of the rest. We owe it to every donor, alum, player and recruit to do everything possible to stay in the big leagues.
OK, so buy 30 season tickets, and donate your house to the program. That's what you're asking. You're asking 100K loyal OSU fans to dig deep into their pockets and donate money against 4 million goon fans that can just keep buying tshirts at walmart and buy 1 game ticket a year. it is simply unsustainable.

Apr 14, 2008
Texas
One thing I keep seeing come up is that OU/UT decided to leave once ESPN said they weren't interested in early contract negotiations back in May. I see that as a smoke screen as the timeline doesn't add up to me.

According to sources within the Big 12, one of the first warning signs for Oklahoma and Texas came in May, when a media consulting firm indicated the league probably wouldn't be in position to greatly enhance its media rights deals with ESPN and Fox once they expire. Texas Tech president Lawrence Schovanec told the Lubbock Avalanche-Journal in May that those networks declined to open early negotiations on a new deal because of the changing landscape of college sports and how consumers watch sports.
"The general result is that, at this time, with so much uncertainty in the media marketplace as well as the landscape for collegiate athletics, our partners, ESPN and Fox, are not interested in acting preemptively with regard to our contract," Schovanec told the Avalanche-Journal. "They recognize the importance of our partnership, but there's just too much uncertainty, and they do have four years to go. So we'll wait until we get to the right place and time."
One source within the league said he had heard rumblings about the possibility of Texas wanting to leave, but added "nobody saw this coming."

Or, maybe they weren't interested in talking to the Big XII because they had already been talking to OU/UT behind the scenes and decided...nah, we're good.

Sep 9, 2013
Players are going to get paid. hell, Bama's new qb already has a million dollars. Can transfer anywhere at anytime for any reason.

College football as we've known it is dead. I will never watch a single game of the SEC. I'll follow WVU even if they are in the AAC. Might actually still be fun, watching WVU play teams like UCF, memphis, etc that dont have millionaire players that WVU certainly cant afford.

I think ESPN and the SEC are going to be huge media draws in the south. But what about the rest of the country when their traditional teams are basically reduced to 1 AA squads? I hope im wrong, but college football could up being dead to me. I loved the sport. I played college football. As a fan ive gone to games all over the country and Bowls.

I see that level of enthusiasm dropping off a cliff. If Im going to watch professional football, may as well be the NFL.

Aug 16, 2012
In principal, I agree, but administrators need to make budgets, and therefore, we'll schedule OU, Alabama, whoever to get the payday. Sucks, but it's the environment the FBS schools have been operating under for some time. It just seems a lot more of us are about to get relegated to that status.
If we do not have to "keep up with the Jones'" any longer, there would not be as much a need for those windfall paydays. Also, in a #33+ league, I would think we would be among the pace-setters.

Aug 16, 2012
Oh, I completely agree, but if they draw a line at 32, there is no way we are in. Absolutely should be, but some inane set of metrics will come into play and I can almost guarantee you we would be on the outside, undeservingly.

Jan 14, 2006
OK, so buy 30 season tickets, and donate your house to the program. That's what you're asking. You're asking 100K loyal OSU fans to dig deep into their pockets and donate money against 4 million goon fans that can just keep buying tshirts at walmart and buy 1 game ticket a year. it is simply unsustainable.
I'm not sure where your coming from with that. The TV income alone will probably be north of $200 mil for the teams in the super conference if it happens.

Will we be the Yankees? Probably not, but I'd rather be the Marlins or Royals than the Drillers.

Jan 14, 2006
Oh, I completely agree, but if they draw a line at 32, there is no way we are in. Absolutely should be, but some inane set of metrics will come into play and I can almost guarantee you we would be on the outside, undeservingly.
Maybe so. I'm choosing optimism until proven otherwise. Lots of positive things said about us by SEC, Big 10 and ACC fans wanting us in their conferences.

Now if Spencer Sanders could go ahead and lead us to the playoff while winning the Heisman I'd be really appreciative.

Nov 6, 2010
I'm not sure where your coming from with that. The TV income alone will probably be north of $200 mil for the teams in the super conference if it happens.

Will we be the Yankees? Probably not, but I'd rather be the Marlins or Royals than the Drillers.
What I'm saying is if you want to be a part of that group, then the only way to vote is with your pocketbook. Boone got us to a point where we're even in fringe consideration and he's no longer with us.

Dec 12, 2020
OKC
I also think it would benefit us more not to air our grievances so publicly either. While all of this is very public, I think taking the high road is a better tactic while looking for a new home.
If she's to be believed about the nature of the relationship agreed upon by member Big 12 schools—who compete against each other, yes, but also work together as a conference to be competitive against other conferences, in this whole drama of what OU/TX did and what OSU did, Shrum is taking the high road. If you don't like it, I don't take issue with that. But saying the truth publicly does not equal 'low road.'

If she had acted like it's no big deal and said "hey, we're looking forward to exciting new opportunities!", the posturing would have been completely transparent anyway (and from my perspective, worthy of an eye roll). Of all the things to complain about right now, complaining about the straightforward nature of her tweets just seems silly to me. I realize you didn't literally complain. Seemingly, a lot of people are, though, so I'm also addressing them via your post.

Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
True, he has zero power. That is why it is an extremely tough job. However, his one real job duty is to be a leader. Again, tough to do without any real power, but that is what he is getting paid quite handsomely to do. He hasn’t done that.

He needed BDE, but it has been more like this:

Right, UT has no history of destroying conferences.

Can't believe Bob Bowlsby couldn't 'lead' them out of their inflated sense of self.