Big 12 Realignment thread, 2021 version

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

What conference would you like to see OSU join?

• ACC

• Big Ten

• PAC-12

• Expanded Big 12

• Other (please explain)

Results are only viewable after voting.

wrenhal

Federal Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
It's over, we might as well drop all sports.

ESPN is reporting that the plan is for a 32 team super conference that only plays each other. All other teams would drop down a level.
More of their wishful thinking trying to influence the outcome.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Jun 5, 2020
OKC
Looks like the current PAC 12 should be our true goal and hopefully we can drag Tech or TCU with us to keep our foot in the Texas football recruiting pond. If the West Coast will let us in..Please!

Last edited:

wrenhal

Federal Marshal
Aug 11, 2011

ESPN is reporting that the plan is for a 32 team super conference that only plays each other. All other teams would drop down a level.
Surely we'd be in the discussion for top 32? Right? RIGHT?
Seeing as how we routinely finish seasons ranked in the top 25.... I would think so.

Nov 6, 2010
There are WAY too many fans of the teams from 33+ for that to be allowed to happen. The whole reason for the playoff is for the non P5 teams to have a shot. This would more than reverse all of that. People would revolt.
This seems to be the gist of the whole thing IMO, and the gamble. It appears the power players are making the bet that the cost of "carrying" the smaller schools outweighs the loss of overall interest/viewership of college football. If that's the case, I think 32 is probably the number for division 1 or whatever they end up calling it, and honestly that may be a bit high. The whole 4 conferences of 16 teams is a bit naïve I think because it still assumes there is any desire from the big boys to share the wealth for the sake of amateurism or scheduling or tradition or whatever. All that is out the window now, the sport is going semi-pro. And I would have no problem dropping down into the lower tier if we never ever played those teams. After all, we don't play NFL teams either. But you know the big boys won't want to beat their brains out against each other week in and week out, so they'll offer scraps to the rest of us to come and get a beat down for a big payday, just like we do with lower division schools now, and we along with the other 100 or so teams left on the outside, will do it for the payday. Reality sucks!

Jonkr06

Territorial Marshal
Aug 18, 2007
Katy, TX

Surely we'd be in the discussion for top 32? Right? RIGHT?
Seeing as how we routinely finish seasons ranked in the top 25.... I would think so.

We routinely finish higher than many teams in the P5, yet they currently have a seat at the table while ours was effectively pulled from underneath us today.

OSU125

Wrangler
Sep 2, 2014
This seems to be the gist of the whole thing IMO, and the gamble. It appears the power players are making the bet that the cost of "carrying" the smaller schools outweighs the loss of overall interest/viewership of college football. If that's the case, I think 32 is probably the number for division 1 or whatever they end up calling it, and honestly that may be a bit high. The whole 4 conferences of 16 teams is a bit naïve I think because it still assumes there is any desire from the big boys to share the wealth for the sake of amateurism or scheduling or tradition or whatever. All that is out the window now, the sport is going semi-pro. And I would have no problem dropping down into the lower tier if we never ever played those teams. After all, we don't play NFL teams either. But you know the big boys won't want to beat their brains out against each other week in and week out, so they'll offer scraps to the rest of us to come and get a beat down for a big payday, just like we do with lower division schools now, and we along with the other 100 or so teams left on the outside, will do it for the payday. Reality sucks!
So the Vaderbilts of the world get in based on being in the right conference at the right time? At some put they have to eat their own for it to really work.

Nov 6, 2010
So the Vaderbilts of the world get in based on being in the right conference at the right time? At some put they have to eat their own for it to really work.
That's really hard to say. I think these changes will be incremental, and evolving over time, but yes, when it comes down to it, there will be no loyalty. Vandy has no business in that conference now, and if it does become a 32 team national league, they won't be part of it, and I'd say there will be no SEC or Big Whatever, everything is out the window now.

Aug 16, 2012
If they want to go this way, then let them have their own March Madness, Omaha, OKC, etc. too. All sports. You guys do you, we will do us.

Jan 15, 2017
Enid
As long as that lower tier has its own playoff and championship I would be for it. It was almost impossible for OSU to get into a National championship before NIL, imagine how hard it will be with Bama, OU, Clemson, and Ohio State start handing out million dollar per year paydays to recruits like they’re candy.

Nov 6, 2010
If they want to go this way, then let them have their own March Madness, Omaha, OKC, etc. too. All sports. You guys do you, we will do us.
In principal, I agree, but administrators need to make budgets, and therefore, we'll schedule OU, Alabama, whoever to get the payday. Sucks, but it's the environment the FBS schools have been operating under for some time. It just seems a lot more of us are about to get relegated to that status.

Jan 15, 2017
Enid
https://twitter.com/drshrum/status/1419770976531738645?s=20
I understand what she’s saying, but no one cares. This entire thing is about money and greed, no one is going to give 2 flips about how we were “wronged”. The payout is going to be nothing compared to the losses we will sustain if we are left out in the cold. It’s time to move on and focus on our future.

Jan 13, 2008
Corinth, TX & Graz, Austria
There are WAY too many fans of the teams from 33+ for that to be allowed to happen. The whole reason for the playoff is for the non P5 teams to have a shot. This would more than reverse all of that. People would revolt.
That would be the end of college football. It would basically kill off half of the fan base and only have 12 to 16 games per week to peddle. That would be suicide for ESPN and college football and cap their potential earnings in half.

This may still happen if the B1G cherry-picks the PAC and SEC takes a few from the ACC. There would be 40 schools and no one else matters.

OSU125

Wrangler
Sep 2, 2014
That's really hard to say. I think these changes will be incremental, and evolving over time, but yes, when it comes down to it, there will be no loyalty. Vandy has no business in that conference now, and if it does become a 32 team national league, they won't be part of it, and I'd say there will be no SEC or Big Whatever, everything is out the window now.
If all this happens it will be terrible for college football and sports in general. The domino effect of what Happens to the athletic departments of those outside the chosen 32 (or wherever it ends) could be devastating financially. If football funds your department, can you maintain all your programs moving forward?