Big 12 Realignment thread, 2021 version

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

What conference would you like to see OSU join?

• ACC

• Big Ten

• PAC-12

• Expanded Big 12

• Other (please explain)

Results are only viewable after voting.
Apr 27, 2006
Calling it now.....weeks of twitter rumors that we are going to one of the major conferences and then it'll be announced that we are going to the AAC.
Agree that this outcome would not come as a suprise, successful move to major conference would be, and a very good one.

Jonkr06

Territorial Marshal
Aug 18, 2007
Katy, TX
Nobody should really blame OU or UT for looking out for their best interests. That's their job and it's our administration's job to look out for ours. It sucks they did it all behind our backs, but that's likely what had to happen to prevent Baylor and the likes from throwing a fit to block it. The conference has been on the brink since the day Nebraska left and anyone could have seen this coming. It's time to move on and see how we fare without those two. As long as we find a decent landing spot I'm actually looking forward to it.

OctaviusRexLTH

Deputy
A/V Subscriber
Aug 16, 2019
Alabama
Agree that this outcome would not come as a suprise, successful move to major conference would be, and a very good one.
Eh I don’t know that I agree. It’s definitely not a guarantee, I just think, perusing big ten and pac 12 schools media pages, they’re by far the most on board with adding OSU over any of the other 7.

Plus, I think if OSU doesn’t get scooped up by another P5 conference, Kansas is the only school who might, and I don’t see all of the remaining schools becoming G5.

May 4, 2011
Charleston, SC
Is it within the realm of possibility for OSU to achieve AAU status any time soon?

Would the potential inclusion in the Big 10 make it any easier for OSU to get accreditation?

I'm just curious if any deal with the Big 10 (however unlikely) would include some sort of stipulation requiring OSU to achieve AAU status in short order. I really don't know anything about how this accreditation stuff works.

Apologies if this has already been discussed.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk
No and no, unfortunately. Nebraska was an AAU member, joined the B1G and almost immediately got kicked out of AAU (still the only AAU member to force a vote on their removal and get removed rather than leave on their own). Nebraska has similar Ag research and about triple the NIH dollars and double the NSF dollars of OSU. Most AAU members have about 10x the research funding of OSU. Research awards and citations (basically how influential your research is) are the biggest metrics for AAU invitation and membership. I love my alma mater but Nebraska has a better research profile and it still wasn't good enough for AAU after being a member for over 100 years. Painful to admit, but OSU has no chance of getting an AAU invite any time soon.

Edit: did some quick googling and Nebraska had 317 million in research expenditures in 2019 compared with OSU's at 184 million. Meanwhile, Indiana U, which is not the most elite in the B1G or AAU, had over 1 billion. Iowa had 589 million.

Last edited:

OSU125

Wrangler
Sep 2, 2014
Is it within the realm of possibility for OSU to achieve AAU status any time soon?

Would the potential inclusion in the Big 10 make it any easier for OSU to get accreditation?

I'm just curious if any deal with the Big 10 (however unlikely) would include some sort of stipulation requiring OSU to achieve AAU status in short order. I really don't know anything about how this accreditation stuff works.

Apologies if this has already been discussed.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk
I’d be interested to know where we stand as well, our research activity seems to be way up, but that isn’t the only metric. They look at the faculty and awards they have received, accreditation’s, etc. there are a ton of schools that want to be a part but only 63 are in it. I do know it isn’t as easy as signing up and paying a fee. The members must vote you in. And I know a lot of the AG research isn’t calculated in to decision.

Anyone on this board have an idea of how we currently stack up?

OSU125

Wrangler
Sep 2, 2014
No and no, unfortunately. Nebraska was an AAU member, joined the B1G and almost immediately got kicked out of AAU (still the only AAU member to force a vote on their removal and get removed rather than leave on their own). Nebraska has similar Ag research and about triple the NIH dollars and double the NSF dollars of OSU. Most AAU members have about 10x the research funding of OSU. Research awards and citations (basically how influential your research is) are the biggest metrics for AAU invitation and membership. I love my alma mater but Nebraska has a better research profile and it still wasn't good enough for AAU after being a member for over 100 years. Painful to admit, but OSU has no chance of getting an AAU invite any time soon.
thanks, I was hoping we maybe had made up more ground!

Jonkr06

Territorial Marshal
Aug 18, 2007
Katy, TX
It's too bad we consistently get bashed for our academics even though we're clearly a school producing quality alums who go on to do great things in their careers. Wish everyone wasn't so hung up on rankings, but that's the way it goes I guess.

OSU125

Wrangler
Sep 2, 2014
I have heard, and this in unconfirmed, that with the large scale changing in sports that AAU membership may not be an issue.
i think part of that maybe just limited options of available AAU schools that are available and could actually be competitive in the conference. But, we’ll see. They may not add anyone.

OSU125

Wrangler
Sep 2, 2014
It's too bad we consistently get bashed for our academics even though we're clearly a school producing quality alumni who go on to do great things in their careers. Wish everyone wasn't so hung up on rankings, but that's the way it goes I guess.
Undergrad success seems to be the last thing they take into account.

Jonkr06

Territorial Marshal
Aug 18, 2007
Katy, TX
It's too bad we consistently get bashed for our academics even though we're clearly a school producing quality alumni who go on to do great things in their careers. Wish everyone wasn't so hung up on rankings, but that's the way it goes I guess.
Undergrad success seems to be the last thing they take into account.
Yeah because why would anyone even care about that?

TypicalGooner

Territorial Marshal
Oct 21, 2011
Norman Trailerpark
I just remember the goon knives coming out in 2011 and their lack of "help" or the wrong kind of "help". If they could push our program down the steps of oblivion it makes their presence bigger and recruiting easier.
We barely recruit the same players.

Oklahoma doesn’t worry about OSU stepping on their coattails.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sep 2, 2012
It's too bad we consistently get bashed for our academics even though we're clearly a school producing quality alums who go on to do great things in their careers. Wish everyone wasn't so hung up on rankings, but that's the way it goes I guess.
There is definitely some snobbery at play, but it mostly has to do with research dollars. David Boren had a blue steel hard-on a cat couldn’t scratch for the AAU and he couldn’t get OU in.

cowboyinexile

Have some class
A/V Subscriber
Jun 29, 2004
Fairmont, MN
i think part of that maybe just limited options of available AAU schools that are available and could actually be competitive in the conference. But, we’ll see. They may not add anyone.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Association_of_American_Universities

Non B1G/SEC FBS schools in the AAU

Cal
Duke
Georgia Tech
Iowa State
Rice
Stanford
Arizona
UCLA
Colorado
Kansas
Mizzou
North Carolina
Oregon
Pitt
Rice
UCLA
USC
Texas*
Utah
Virginia

Unless the raid the Pac 12 thing us true the only problematic schools on that list are problems for us are Kansas, Pitt, and maybe Virginia. Kansas might be a positive if they want them to have a traveling partner and are willing to drop the requirement. I think Virginia and Virginia Tech are tied at the hip but when Oklahoma started double secret negotiations 6-12 months ago I would have said the same thing about us so who knows. Pitt is interesting-they have a natty, but we have been better lately (the 2017 beatdown was legendary). But they are a great regional fit. The catch is I think Penn State would fight it similar to how ATM did Texas, only they actually have pull in their conference. And although I think Pitt would be a solid addition, they aren't Texas.

Also, Notre Dame isn't an AAU member. Considering how prior to their partnership with the ACC everyone assumed that was the conference they would eventually end up in, I'm guessing it's something they are willing to waive if the situation is right.