Big 12 Realignment thread, 2021 version

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

What conference would you like to see OSU join?

• ACC

• Big Ten

• PAC-12

• Expanded Big 12

• Other (please explain)

Results are only viewable after voting.

gundysburner

Territorial Marshal
Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
Bowlsby is a dunce. OU and Tx put the cap on him yesterday.
Always astounding to see how people talk about a college conference commissioner this way.

The schools chose him. The schools control how much power he/she has, or doesn't have.

Anyone who doesn't understand the dynamic here is completely lost. If you think Bob Bowlsby, or Dan Beebe, for that matter has any power here, I don't know what to say.

CowboyOrangeFan

Mmmm, yeah.
A/V Subscriber
Jun 9, 2006
Florida
Always astounding to see how people talk about a college conference commissioner this way.

The schools chose him. The schools control how much power he/she has, or doesn't have.

Anyone who doesn't understand the dynamic here is completely lost. If you think Bob Bowlsby, or Dan Beebe, for that matter has any power here, I don't know what to say.
True, he has zero power. That is why it is an extremely tough job. However, his one real job duty is to be a leader. Again, tough to do without any real power, but that is what he is getting paid quite handsomely to do. He hasn’t done that.

He needed BDE, but it has been more like this:

andylicious

Territorial Marshal
Nov 16, 2013
tractor
I posted years ago about us leaving the conference OU is in so we could chart our own identity without constantly being juxtaposed against OU. I got flamed for it. I am glad it might be finally happening. I’d love to join the BIG 10. I don’t want OSU affiliates to have to step a single foot in the state of California.
I remember that and I agreed with you.

Oct 30, 2007
Clearly you didn’t get the full story.
The idea was floated at the B12 meeting last Thursday. 3 schools, OSU, TTech and TCU quickly opposed the idea. It was never offered to OU and UT. End of story.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I heard the idea but not who amd when is rejected, do you have a link?
https://pokesreport.com/s/1277/offering-oklahoma-and-texas-more-was-discussed-but-not-agreed-upon

Thanks for the link and info. I am very glad our new leaders passed this first quiz.

Jun 13, 2010
Chicago
I wonder if Castiglionne is on the phone cutting our legs out from under us with other conferences?
I laughed at this, but to the extent this is a real question, I'd answer with another question. Does OU have a death wish?

Fact 1: OSU alumni control the OK legislature and always have, regardless of metro/rural delegations.
Fact 2: There's nothing the OK legislature can do about conf realignment.

That said, do you really wanna spit in our face while you're at it? I know that OU/OSU only get about 20% of their revenue from the State (we should do more to support higher ed, frankly) but we could always make that worse and/or redirect all that funding to OSU! A state university has the responsibility of supporting the state.

Jan 1, 2008
To some extent, but it's still more expensive and crossing three time zones for one game is still rough. Doing it once a season for a high profile game is one thing, doing it on the regular for all of your cross-divisional games is another.
You're not wrong - but money is a powerful motivator

andylicious

Territorial Marshal
Nov 16, 2013
tractor
I laughed at this, but to the extent this is a real question, I'd answer with another question. Does OU have a death wish?

Fact 1: OSU alumni control the OK legislature and always have, regardless of metro/rural delegations.
Fact 2: There's nothing the OK legislature can do about conf realignment.

That said, do you really wanna spit in our face while you're at it? I know that OU/OSU only get about 20% of their revenue from the State (we should do more to support higher ed, frankly) but we could always make that worse and/or redirect all that funding to OSU! A state university has the responsibility of supporting the state.
I just remember the goon knives coming out in 2011 and their lack of "help" or the wrong kind of "help". If they could push our program down the steps of oblivion it makes their presence bigger and recruiting easier.

Jan 14, 2006
No doubt, and I'd add leadership doesn't have them all either, because there is just so much unknown. I think the decision making needs to be short term vs long term. Short term, I support aggressively pursuing the best new conference landing spot we can find. It will probably take a few more years for college football as we know it to completely morph into semi pro. Hopefully then our leadership should have a clearer picture of what the new landscape will look like and be able to make more informed decisions.
Well said. Is this the internet? Did we just express different viewpoints, respectfully discuss them and then agree? Crazy times!

Apr 27, 2006
While this is a sports board and politics is not allowed, politics are most definitely involved in the issue at hand. In todays enviroment I can't think of a single solitary aspect of life that politics are not involved. Sad fact.

snuffy

Calf fries are the original sack lunch.
Staff
A/V Subscriber
Feb 28, 2007
Oklahoma
I doubt it. It's in their best interest that conference members land somewhere decent as soon as possible.
This so much, right now there are 2 teams gone and WVU may have a landing spot in the ACC. 3 more teams find a home and the big 12 is gone, there are no payouts and the last one out the door locks up. It is in OU’s best interest to talk us up.

Mar 27, 2020
Tulsa
There seems to be a lot of hypocrisy and jealousy on this board right now. Many are blasting uterus and uo for doing what is best for their own interests. It wasn't long ago we were celebrating the millions that T.Boone put into our program simply to help us keep up with the big boys. It had nothing to do with our AD or leadership. We were simply lucky to have that one man who gave us a chance to succeed on the big stage. There aren't many (if any) who have that one man. We gladly took his money and the results are obvious. I personally don't want the league to break up but it's not their fault that their leadership teams are much stronger and more farsighted than that of the Big 12.

OSU125

Wrangler
Sep 2, 2014
This so much, right now there are 2 teams gone and WVU may have a landing spot in the ACC. 3 more teams find a home and the big 12 is gone, there are no payouts and the last one out the door locks up. It is in OU’s best interest to talk us up.
Exactly, it’s in their own best interest for the Big 12 to die and die quickly. They have 80 million reasons to not interfere…. Hell, they may want to help at that amount.

snuffy

Calf fries are the original sack lunch.
Staff
A/V Subscriber
Feb 28, 2007
Oklahoma
There seems to be a lot of hypocrisy and jealousy on this board right now. Many are blasting uterus and uo for doing what is best for their own interests. It wasn't long ago we were celebrating the millions that T.Boone put into our program simply to help us keep up with the big boys. It had nothing to do with our AD or leadership. We were simply lucky to have that one man who gave us a chance to succeed on the big stage. There aren't many (if any) who have that one man. We gladly took his money and the results are obvious. I personally don't want the league to break up but it's not their fault that their leadership teams are much stronger and more farsighted than that of the Big 12.
This!!!!!!!!
If OU had approached OSU with this offer instead of UT we would have taken it and played it the same way.