Big 12 Realignment thread, 2021 version

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

What conference would you like to see OSU join?

• ACC

• Big Ten

• PAC-12

• Expanded Big 12

• Other (please explain)

Results are only viewable after voting.
Oct 30, 2007
I can't imagine the Big 12 surviving without OU & Texas, because the TV money would plummet. ESPN & Fox aren't going to pay nearly as much for TV rights to a conference with no blueblood football programs. If this materializes, this is how I see the dominoes falling:
1. The SEC adds OU & Texas to get to 16.
2. The Big Ten adds ISU & KU to get to 16.
3. The ACC adds WVU and one of the Texas schools to get to 16.
4. The Pac 12 adds the remaining 4 schools to get to 16.
5. Someone could end up getting left out if Notre Dame ends up joining a conference. K-State could end up being the odd man out. They could end up in the AAC.

Reasons why this would suck:
1. The Pac 12 is considered to be the weakest P5 conference.
2. The Pac 12 has the lowest P5 conference payout.
3. The game times would be really late.
4. It would be a very poor fit politically.

I hope this is just smoke. I don't see it ending well for us.

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2007
Jackson Hole, WY
Yikes. This was the perfect time to undercut us with all the leadership changes going on system-wide.

If you think media coverage is biased now, wait until we're in a "lesser" league. We refuse to play them, we become Tulsa to the in-state folks and invisible to ESPN.

Yep. If this happens and the people pushing for OU to cut us loose win, we're in deep trouble. Big 12 instantly becomes an AAC/Mountain West-level league.

No, we would not. We might do so in the East, but not the West.
Screw SEC & Big 12……..expand PAC 12 to a second 16 team Super Conf.…transfer CO & UT to North Division w/ WA, WSU, Oregon, Oregon St, Cal & Stanford (8 teams) and then add oSu, Baylor, TCU & TTech to Southern Division w/ AZ, ASU, UCLA & USC (8 teams).

I’m all in!!!

Jun 5, 2020
OKC
Let's hope Dr Shrum and Chad Weiberg are masterful negotiators and politicians and can pull a rabbit out their hat to save us from the doom that will be the Big 12 (8)!

When the Big 12 was formed, only a full-court press by influential Baylor alums got them into the conference. Let's hope we can pull off something similar.
Raper U had the Gov of Tex alum at that time, she had massive influence and got them in, not sure our alum has much political capital?

Sep 29, 2006
Screw SEC & Big 12……..expand PAC 12 to a second 16 team Super Conf.…transfer CO & UT to North Division w/ WA, WSU, Oregon, Oregon St, Cal & Stanford (8 teams) and then add oSu, Baylor, TCU & TTech to Southern Division w/ AZ, ASU, UCLA & USC (8 teams).

I’m all in!!!
Would likely be an East/West Division model due to time Zones.

andylicious

Territorial Marshal
Nov 16, 2013
tractor
Yikes. This was the perfect time to undercut us with all the leadership changes going on system-wide.

If you think media coverage is biased now, wait until we're in a "lesser" league. We refuse to play them, we become Tulsa to the in-state folks and invisible to ESPN.

Yep. If this happens and the people pushing for OU to cut us loose win, we're in deep trouble. Big 12 instantly becomes an AAC/Mountain West-level league.

No, we would not. We might do so in the East, but not the West.
Let the goons go, they will not win in that league, and do you really think the SEC is going to put up with the whorns? Media will die on them if they don't win. This is an attempt to push the big 10 to come begging. Neither one of them are leaving their sandbox, they want some kind of concession from the other big 12 schools.

Jul 5, 2020
Broken Arrow
we have no chance of getting into the Big 10 due to our academic standing. We will wind up in the Pac 12 although I'd rather go to the ACC personally
Before you completely write off the PAC and watching a basketball game from Pullman at 10;00 pm on a Wednesday, consider this: 1) bringing in those teams every other year would still be nice home games to see; 2) I can’t see wrestling being materially affected by moving to the PAC because several affiliate schools are already located there (Air Force, Northern Colorado, Wyoming), and we would add ASU, Oregon State, and Stanford; and 3) Cowboy golf in the PAC? I like that idea.

Sep 9, 2013
It's been nice knowing you all. However, no one is going anywhere until 2025 or they will have to pay a lot of money.

WVU will either go ACC, if they get an invite, or independent like BYU. I highly doubt WVU can afford to stay in the big 12 when new tv deal gets rolled out and we dont have texas or OU.

The ACC will be a pay cut, but likely a wash with reduced travel.

Jan 6, 2007
Jackson Hole, WY
Before you completely write off the PAC and watching a basketball game from Pullman at 10;00 pm on a Wednesday, consider this: 1) bringing in those teams every other year would still be nice home games to see; 2) I can’t see wrestling being materially affected by moving to the PAC because several affiliate schools are already located there (Air Force, Northern Colorado, Wyoming), and we would add ASU, Oregon State, and Stanford; and 3) Cowboy golf in the PAC? I like that idea.
Would be extremely competitive, high quality & fun games in ALL sports….in all seasons!!!

superpoke

Territorial Marshal
Jun 28, 2005
Orange Country USA
I wanted the original Pac deal to happen ten years ago. OSU's athletic department fits in much better with the Pac mindset. But despite being a Tier 1 university, there are enough academic questions about us that power brokers in the Pac don't want us, and culturally, we'd be an outlier. And now, if we're in the Pac without major Texas partners, we're going to be in trouble in recruiting (Texas Tech has bigger academic questions than we do, and the Pac will want no part of Baylor and TCU).

If this happens, the Pac is our best lifeline, but we're not going to be in good shape even if it's offered. And if we stay in the Big 12 and backfill with AAC/Mountain West schools, then we're dead.

superpoke

Territorial Marshal
Jun 28, 2005
Orange Country USA
Let the goons go, they will not win in that league, and do you really think the SEC is going to put up with the whorns? Media will die on them if they don't win. This is an attempt to push the big 10 to come begging. Neither one of them are leaving their sandbox, they want some kind of concession from the other big 12 schools.
It has nothing to do with the Big Ten; Texas could get in there, but not OU.

Media is not going to die on either of these schools if they don't win. This is a brand move, and associating with the SEC will keep them relevant no matter what.

Sep 8, 2014
The back 40
I actually hope your right on this