Big 12 Realignment thread, 2021 version

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

What conference would you like to see OSU join?

• ACC

• Big Ten

• PAC-12

• Expanded Big 12

• Other (please explain)

Results are only viewable after voting.
Sep 22, 2011
Looks like the SEC is making a run at forming a separate league, how many teams would they need to jettison the NCAA and start making the real money?

jetman

Federal Marshal
Nov 27, 2004
Edmond Oklahoma
Totally agree, and I love their fans current comments.

They routinely blow a game or two to Iowa State, Kansas State, or TCU. Throw in ~50% of the time losing to Texas in Dallas and they’re going to a much more difficult division.

They are not going to beat A&M, Texas and LSU all in the same year in the west and even with one or two losses their reward is going to play in a championship game, a long ways from Norman, against Alabama, Georgia or Florida. I actually hope this happens for a lot of different reasons. Hell they haven’t won anything meaningful in 20 years but they can’t grasp that.

However we can never play them again in anything. If you think we’re little brother now, just wait until they kick us to the kiddie table and then throw scraps at us. Our leadership team cannot schedule them in anything going forward. Texas I would do for the recruits but Bedam can suck a dick.

Relationships die, cut the cord and move on. I’m fine with playing new blood and trips west are fun.
You're totally underestimating the defensive recruiting they will be able to do once they get into the SEC. Their coach isn't even 40 years old yet and already is one of the best offensive minds in football. OU will be fine in the SEC. Hurts me to say it, but their fans should be on cloud 9 (as they are) right now with all this news.

Sep 6, 2012
Edmond
Looks like the SEC is making a run at forming a separate league, how many teams would they need to jettison the NCAA and start making the real money?
If they had all the teams that are rumored. I would bet they could do it. The TV money would be nuts. Whats Fox going to do?

Nov 18, 2011
You're totally underestimating the defensive recruiting they will be able to do once they get into the SEC. Their coach isn't even 40 years old yet and already is one of the best offensive minds in football. OU will be fine in the SEC. Hurts me to say it, but their fans should be on cloud 9 (as they are) right now with all this news.
Will they be fine, sure, they will hold their own. But what did Stoops/Riley crow about their program being all about…”Championships”. Those are getting ready to be more rare and hard to come by. The only difference it will make in their recruiting is taking away A&M’s trump card in Texas. Kids from the southeast aren’t suddenly going to flock to Norman because ou is in the SEC. Also, I don’t think Lincoln is in Norman for the long haul. He’s a Texas boy with bigger fish to fry.

Last edited:
Jun 5, 2020
OKC
Lotta great destinations going west. Not every game is going to start at 11pm central. How anybody can’t remember their 9 AM PST kick off just last year is beyond me. We will play a bunch of 2:30 games that are 12:30 kick off‘s on the West Coast. And any of the destinations west are better than anything the big 12 has to offer.
the reality is, we believe our campus is beautiful. and it is, those West Camps are gorgeous and I don't think they put half the time our staff puts in

Jonkr06

Territorial Marshal
Aug 18, 2007
Katy, TX
And would they kickout the dead weight like Kentucky, Vandy, South Carolina, Missouri, Arkansas? None of those should be any part of a football super league.

Jan 14, 2007
Yukon, OK
This is not happening at all.

1. Why would Ohio State want to get in on this mess? The B1G already pays out more than anyone, and Ohio State has its own fiefdom it can beat up on. They win no matter what, and staying put is an ideal option for them.
Why did ou do it? They had the same situation, just a litte less cash. Many. many people want more just because it's more. They don't care who gets in the way.

cowboyinexile

Have some class
A/V Subscriber
Jun 29, 2004
Fairmont, MN
This is not happening at all.

1. Why would Ohio State want to get in on this mess? The B1G already pays out more than anyone, and Ohio State has its own fiefdom it can beat up on. They win no matter what, and staying put is an ideal option for them.

2. Why should the SEC become the Official Tier 1 Super Conference? What are they going to do about Miss State, Arkansas, Ole Miss, Tenn, Vandy, Sacarlina, Kentucky etc?

I had the same thoughts. Ohio State is a big fish in a big pond. The only incentive they have is concerns over ALL the 5*'s going to the SEC now, but that isn't happening. They are doing just fine plucking the talent they get now and whatever conference ou is in won't change that.

And yeah, if the SEC is going to do this super conference thing, what happens to Arkansas and Vandy. The money is great but do they really want to have 10 blue bloods and 10 teams that are going to get their teeth kicked in every year?

If I'm the ACC or Pac 12 I'm nervous right now though. They both have crap deals compared to the other two conferences. Hopefully this benefits us as they really have to do something right now.

CowboyHoopsPride

Territorial Marshal
Feb 18, 2009
Not underestimating anything. I agree that will happen. The rest of the league won’t sit around and just watch them though. They’ll get better too and their top brass is already ahead. ou has zero of the built in advantages in the sec that it has in the big XII.

I think it’s a great move for them financially and I’m actually a huge supporter of a super league for these schools with 100k seat stadiums and 7 figure recruiting budgets. No one else can compete with them anyway. Let’s see them do it.

Last edited:

cowboyinexile

Have some class
A/V Subscriber
Jun 29, 2004
Fairmont, MN
100%.

The OU game does nothing for us at this point. OSU fans are going to watch OSU play whoever it is, as long as we’re competitive and our competition is similarly matched. The better we get the bigger our fan base can grow. Feeding OU wins only hurts our recruiting and brand building especially since when they are in a competitive conference. I’d love to see the last 7 (minus WVU) sign a pact to the PAC to start a super conference as soon as the grant of rights run out. We can even align OOC’s together until then. Doing so just to stick a knife in the belly of OU and make easy money.
I disagree.

The catch is now we will play them in September instead of November. It's a match-up that makes us attractive to other conferences and the earlier we play it the better. They tend to drop a game or two early but get stronger as injuries start to add up on teams without depth and their recruiting gives them a bigger talent advantage.

I'd like to find a way to beat the aholes every now and again and this is an opportunity.

The catch is now we will play them in September instead of November. It's a match-up that makes us attractive to other conferences and the earlier we play it the better. They tend to drop a game or two early but get stronger as injuries start to add up on teams without depth and their recruiting gives them a bigger talent advantage.

I'd like to find a way to beat the aholes every now and again and this is an opportunity.
Agreed on all accounts, but it’s probably not safe to assume a Sept non-conf game. SEC is notorious for playing conf games early than most and sprinkling non-conf games throughout the season. Never understood why B12 didn’t do the same, the SEC understood that early season in-conf game losses are forgotten more easily in the polls after beating up on directional fcs opponents.

cowboyinexile

Have some class
A/V Subscriber
Jun 29, 2004
Fairmont, MN
Agreed on all accounts, but it’s probably not safe to assume a Sept non-conf game. SEC is notorious for playing conf games early than most and sprinkling non-conf games throughout the season. Never understood why B12 didn’t do the same, the SEC understood that early season in-conf game losses are forgotten more easily in the polls after beating up on directional fcs opponents.
SEC likes cupcakes late. If we don't play them in September we play them early October so no difference. They can't push for a late game because they don't want to do that with Bama or LSU the next week.

It should be like the Iowa ISU game-do it week 2. If we win 3 out of 10 that way it's an improvement.

Apr 14, 2008
Texas
Only one thing to do… everyone go out and beat the snot out of both of them this year.

OU & UT Schadenfreude this year will be off the charts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nov 18, 2011
I disagree.

There is zero chance we play bedlam football for at least ten years , unless we meet up in postseason or something. OSU will hold the grudge as Texas did with the aggies + HCMG will have no appetite for that as a non con. Ou won’t schedule it either because with an SEC schedule they are going to go all cupcakes in the non con and won’t want their season spoiled by an in state rival with extra motivation.