Big 12 Realignment thread, 2021 version

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

What conference would you like to see OSU join?

• ACC

• Big Ten

• PAC-12

• Expanded Big 12

• Other (please explain)

Results are only viewable after voting.
Sep 8, 2014
The back 40
I don't see how the B1G would have any interest in Iowa State since they already have Iowa. Of course this is a whole new game now, so who knows.
High profile rivalry game maybe? Iowa State has solid academics so it gets past that hurdle...I feel Iowa and Iowa State split state loyalties more than OSU and ou or KSU and ku but I’m not sure about that...could have an impact? Who knows.

me, I’m wanting us to angle the fact we grow more pot now than Cali...see, we do fit culturally in the PAC!!!! California Dreamin’ baby!!!!

Jan 14, 2006
Aside from the money, I just don't see how SEC would be the best possible outcome for football. In the eyes of the conference, recruits, and to a certain extent the nation, we'd just be considered the newest Mississippi State team.
If this goes down like it's looking to me, the SEC will be so far above the other conferences with $, NIL, etc.. that a 6-6 SEC team will probably be in the top 15 or 20 and 20 points better than the best teams of the other conferences.

The only exceptions will be a couple Big 10 schools, Clemson and Oregon with the NIL. Just the way I see it.

Sep 12, 2013
Broken Arrow, OK
History repeats itself...

Texas blew up the SWC
thereby blowing up the Big 8
and now they're blowing up the Big XII

in ten years they will be blowing up the SEC

I know everyone says Texas won't be running the show in the SEC. Doesn't mean they won't try and they won't piss off everyone and they will still act like they run the show.

Sep 6, 2012
Edmond
ACC - bad idea, they're just as unstable if not more so. They're dragged down by mostly bad programs and a poverty TV deal, far worse than the Big 12 ever saw.

I totally agree with this statement. You would be better off trying to bring Clemson , FSU, Louisville and Miami to the B12

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2010
Short Term, our most likely best option is an expanded PAC16, and perhaps ACC. But, don't forget that all is not well in those two conferences either. Recall those rumors of Florida St not happy with TV money, so don't be fooled into thinking PAC12 and ACC are on unshakable solid ground. This OU/UT move is probably the first of many dominos to fall in next 2-3 years. I think there will eventually be a break away of 32 football programs to form their on super league. I suspect it might look something like this...

View attachment 91094
# is the rank of athletic dept revenue per USA Today 2018-2019

You can debate divisional alignment and perhaps inclusion/exclusion of a few but it would be pretty much this.

"Conference Affiliation" will normalize in post-football super league to be more geographical for remainder of sports. If we move towards a 4 conferences of 64 teams, it will probably kill off the NCAA Tourney too.

College sports was changed forever the moment the supreme court ruled in favor of NIL. This OU/UT move is the first reaction to that.
I think you're probably right. May not break down exactly like this, but I do think we're headed toward some kind of semi-pro non-NCAA group for the big boys, then a lower level for the rest of us, and I'd be fine with competing with other truly amateur programs on a level playing field for once. The big boys might not like having to compete on a level field with all the other big boys every week though, so that might incent them to keep the rest of us in it. Of course they could always schedule lower division schools for their non-con like we do with one of ours every year.

Sep 9, 2013
there is some chatter among the WVU people that the remaining 8 remaining in the big 12(we're going to get a massive payout from Texas and OU bc they are not staying until 2025, may be better off than the pac or acc
by adding 4 teams.

ACC is stuck in a bad tv deal through 2036, and the PAC has been a mess.
It would be a definite pay cut, but there'd be no more Texas to cater to.

BC off the ACC's unsustainable TV deal, it may well be possible for the BIG or Big 12 remnants to poach.

Nov 6, 2010
High profile rivalry game maybe? Iowa State has solid academics so it gets past that hurdle...I feel Iowa and Iowa State split state loyalties more than OSU and ou or KSU and ku but I’m not sure about that...could have an impact? Who knows.

me, I’m wanting us to angle the fact we grow more pot now than Cali...see, we do fit culturally in the PAC!!!! California Dreamin’ baby!!!!
I live in Omaha, which is on the Iowa border, and I see Hawkeye fans all over, but rarely anything Iowa State. It is definitely lopsided.

Jan 4, 2005
there is some chatter among the WVU people that the remaining 8 remaining in the big 12(we're going to get a massive payout from Texas and OU bc they are not staying until 2025, may be better off than the pac or acc
by adding 4 teams.

BC off the ACC's unsustainable TV deal, it may well be possible for the BIG or Big 12 remnants to poach.
If we could somehow convince BYU to join, and turn the tables and exploit the vulnerable ACC and PAC by grabbing Va Tech, Arizona, and Arizona St, then this league would have some staying power again.

Pokit N

Gent of Good Intent
A/V Subscriber
Sep 29, 2006
Lily Lake, IL
I saw someone on Twitter say that Texas is like the most high maintenance girlfriend ever...She demands all of your time and attention and money...the minute she feels unhappy or gets a better opportunity she'll cheat on you.

Nov 6, 2010
by adding 4 teams.

May be a good short term solution, but it will be tough to keep everyone together. If that's the idea, why even add any teams, just stand pat and divvy up the extra cash less ways, and everyone gets a longer runway for finding their new landing spots.

Aug 31, 2004
Austin, TX
Bowlsby should be fired Monday morning.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nc...-played-by-greg-sankey-and-the-sec/ar-AAMunPu

Big 12 commissioner Bob Bowlsby got played by Greg Sankey and the SEC
Wescott Eberts 22 mins ago

If the Big 12 ends up dissolving after the Texas Longhorns and Oklahoma Sooners officially receive invitations to join the SEC, a move likely to win approval as soon as next week, commissioner Bob Bowlsby deserves some of the blame.
© Kevin Jairaj-USA TODAY Sports
Hired from Stanford in 2012 to help lead the new version of the conference following the departures of four original members and the additions of TCU and West Virginia, Bowlsby faced the challenge of finalizing negotiations for Big 12 media rights and pulling together a conference split by the failures of his predecessor Dan Beebe.

But if Bowlsby’s legacy leading the Big 12 depends on the vision he’s displayed over the last year — or the lack thereof — it won’t be a positive one. In particular, he failed to recognize the extent to which Texas and Oklahoma wanted to get out of the conference, moves precipitated by leadership recently put in place. That failure of vision left Bowlsby and the conference unequipped to deal with the news when it finally, belatedly broke.

The signs were on the horizon, starting earlier this year.
With the SEC finalizing its new contract with Disney last December, the Big 12 hired a media consulting group that informed member institutions that the television partners were unwilling to engage in preemptive negotiations with the league, a strong sign that the Big 12 had fallen behind other Power Five conferences in valuation.

Meanwhile, Bowlsby was working with other commissioners like the SEC’s Greg Sankey on the College Football Playoff Board of Managers to initiate a feasibility study to expand the College Football Playoff to 12 teams, a move that stood to benefit the nation’s most powerful football conference much more than the Big 12.
During the process, Bowlsby publicly praised Sankey for his work on the board of managers.

But Sankey wasn’t focused on what was best for college football — he was doing his job focusing on the best interests of the SEC.

When Big 12 Media Days arrived, Bowlsby was not only unaware of any potential threats to his conference, he believed that concerns about realignment were a thing of the past. For the final question of his press conference, Bowlsby indicated that he’d invested more thought in whether he might receive another question about Big 12 expansion, joking that he’d won a five-dollar bet when it never came.

“It’s really moot on that question. Conference alignment is always at the discretion of the conferences. But you have to remember, the last time around, the last round of conference realignments was all driven by cable households, and we find ourselves now in a rapidly shrinking cable environment. It is much less driven by capturing a particular cable market because if it’s an in-market fee, you get a lot more money for it than if it’s an out-of-market fee. So the more you can include those things, the more revenue you’re going to derive from it,” Bowlsby said.

“That motivation is essentially gone. The cable universe has shrunk 20 million households already. It’s going to continue to shrink as we migrate to digital consumption and streaming. And so a lot of the motivation for realignment is no longer there.”

Bowlsby acknowledge that some of the motivation could still be there, but noted that “it’s not one of the things that keeps me up at night.”

Perhaps it should have, because for at least the last year, Texas and Oklahoma were planning the move to the SEC while engaging in back-channel communications with other leagues like the ACC, according to Pete Thamel of Yahoo Sports.

Even if Bowlsby didn’t have expansion on his radar, the pending end of the Big 12’s grant of rights and the dissatisfaction of Texas and Oklahoma made those two schools some of the only expansion candidates that television partners would actually pay to add.
Bowlsby seemed oblivious to that reality as the two schools and Sankey did such a good job of keeping those discussions quiet that the news didn’t emerge until this week at SEC Media Days, presumably when Texas A&M finally found out about the plans and leaked the news in an attempt to sabotage the addition of Texas that it opposed.

The Big 12 was left in a completely reactionary position, holding an emergency conference call with leadership on Thursday evening. By that time, Texas and Oklahoma weren’t even interested in joining in those discussions, having moved past the point of anything convincing them to stay.
In the most critical moment of his nearly 10 years leading the Big 12, Bowlsby was left without the option of even making a last-second pitch to his two most important member institutions.
It’s a ruthless business and while Bowlsby was sleeping soundly at night, exhausted from the demands imposed by the pandemic, Sankey was busy scheming to form the nation’s first super conference by adding two of the biggest programs in college sports.
And that’s exactly the type of bold, effective leadership that further puts into perspective why Texas and Oklahoma were so intent on leaving the Big 12 and focused on joining the SEC in the first place.
Fitting ending for a terrible conference commissioner.

Nov 6, 2010
Fitting ending for a terrible conference commissioner.
Meh, at some point, either you have the cards to play or you don't. There just weren't many cards for him to play here. The end was put in motion when Mizzou, Nebraska and aTm left, which happened under Beebe. I'd argue he did a good job keeping it together as long as he did.

Sep 9, 2013
well because the 4 teams we add could be ACC teams, which would make the big 12 better than before. More money, maybe, with a conference network.

What happens to clemson and FSU now? will they stay in a conference that pays them half of what their peers get in BIG or sec, and as years move on, 3 times as little cash?

Big 12 remnants isnt only conference in peril.
And a gor through 2036 is not enforceable.

Jan 15, 2017
Enid
Meh, at some point, either you have the cards to play or you don't. There just weren't many cards for him to play here. The end was put in motion when Mizzou, Nebraska and aTm left, which happened under Beebe. I'd argue he did a good job keeping it together as long as he did.
This. The only thing he could do was give OU and Texas a bigger piece of the big XII pie which would have been a slap in the face to everyone else in the Big XII and even then it might not have been enough for Texas to not take their ball and go home.