Big 12 Realignment thread, 2021 version

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

What conference would you like to see OSU join?

• ACC

• Big Ten

• PAC-12

• Expanded Big 12

• Other (please explain)

Results are only viewable after voting.
Sep 12, 2013
Broken Arrow, OK
Someone mentioned above a long term rotating schedule of 9 games without a divisional structure. Interesting idea but I think we need to move to 8 conference games, with or without division, similar to SEC and BIG (believe that will be their new structure). Teams can schedule a couple P5 games, and G5 and a “get healthy” FCS opponent late in the year.
I agree, we need to play 8 conference games and schedule a good P5 program with that 9th game. It will only help the conference as a whole if we schedule and then beat teams from the ACC, B1G, PAC, & SEC. It also makes scheduling balanced, 5 division games and 3 cross division games. That way you play every team every two years. Every four years you get every team at home and away at least once. Whether it's 8 or 9 conference games, I think it's going to come down to what the media partners want to pay for.

In a conference where you do not play a round robin schedule, there will be no perfect solution. Even then... but, if we don't have divisions aren't we back to the whole argument we have now about the playoffs? Teams get in based on passing the "eye test". A lot of people have said teams that don't win their conference shouldn't be in the playoffs and I for one agree with that statement. What are you going to do in a year (using teams and records from this year) when it's between an undefeated 9-0 (or 8-0) team that played Kansas, Tech, and TCU, but not OSU, Baylor, or Cincinnati versus say OSU, Baylor, and Cincinnati who beat each other and all three are 8-1 (or 7-1)? I like objective measurables like winning your division and winning your conference. Yes, you are going to have years where the team in the other division (which ever one that might be) is the 3rd or 4th best team in the conference, but hey, you want to win the conference, you first need to win your division. You want in the playoffs, you first need to win your conference.

I don't buy into the whole split the Texas schools for recruiting. The new schools are already in fertile recruiting areas. Cincinnati in Ohio, UCF in Florida/Georgia/Alabama and Houston has Texas/Louisianna. BYU draws a lot from the western states, but also nationally and a few from Texas already.

SLVRBK

Johnny 8ball's PR Manager
Staff
A/V Subscriber
Oct 16, 2003
Katy, TX
In a conference where you do not play a round robin schedule, there will be no perfect solution. Even then... but, if we don't have divisions aren't we back to the whole argument we have now about the playoffs? Teams get in based on passing the "eye test". A lot of people have said teams that don't win their conference shouldn't be in the playoffs and I for one agree with that statement. What are you going to do in a year (using teams and records from this year) when it's between an undefeated 9-0 (or 8-0) team that played Kansas, Tech, and TCU, but not OSU, Baylor, or Cincinnati versus say OSU, Baylor, and Cincinnati who beat each other and all three are 8-1 (or 7-1)? I like objective measurables like winning your division and winning your conference. Yes, you are going to have years where the team in the other division (which ever one that might be) is the 3rd or 4th best team in the conference, but hey, you want to win the conference, you first need to win your division. You want in the playoffs, you first need to win your conference.
Two highest ranked teams play for the Championship

O-St8

Orange is power.
A/V Subscriber
Jan 13, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Of course you like that the best. You are fishing for Texas turf. You may peel off a couple fans but our President and AD will not let that happen.

For any OSU fans who support breaking up the Sunbelt and giving ISU/UCF/etc inroads into Texas recruiting. I get the argument of balancing competition, but that's not our problem. That's the other division's problem. We're in prime position to dominate once OU is gone, and iron sharpens iron... I have no idea what turds do to other turds, but that's the other division's problem not ours.

Some reason you guys insist on feeding the troll?
I don't regard him as a troll per se because he's accurately simulating the politics at the conference level. Once conference pride and the thrill of the season subsides, the reality about a conference is you're picking rivals. They are going to try every chance they get to screw OSU over, the same way Texas screwed us all year in year out.

My opinion is that this is beneath us. I'd rather get dicked around in a bigger conference than by small-time clowns who don't know how to build up their own programs, let alone a major conference. If they can't guarantee at least $37M/year for OSU and try funny business with these divisions, we need to walk on this.
oSu and Baylor may be the frontrunners to become the "power" schools in the conference but I don't want to be like the current/former powers that only look to serve themselves. What Texas couldn't seem to grasp is that a strong overall conference IS what's best for Texas or OU or oSu or Baylor. Are we going to make the same mistake? They wanted it their way and in the process they destroyed a great conference, and in the process pulled the rug out from under their own feet. Sadly because of their economic prowess they get to abandon the very issue they created. It's shameful and I don't want to be a part of anything even remotely similar.

I want the new Big12 to grow into a great conference. We'll start out as a good conference for sure (competitively better than probably 2 of the current PT conferences), but we could be a GREAT conference that rivals the SEC or BIG. And to do that we have to give it a chance. oSu will be fine if the conferences are split up evenly and not Texas centric in one division. If we're not then we don't deserve to be one of the "power" schools.

Sent from my motorola edge plus using Tapatalk

Oct 30, 2007
Current rivals include Baylor-TCU and Kansas-Kansas State. I would think the Big 12 would want the rivals in the same division.
BU and TCU didn’t play each other a single time when playing in different conferences, not that big of a rivalry. As said above, B12 split up one of the all time rivalries in OU v Neb.

Someone mentioned above a long term rotating schedule of 9 games without a divisional structure. Interesting idea but I think we need to move to 8 conference games, with or without division, similar to SEC and BIG (believe that will be their new structure). Teams can schedule a couple P5 games, and G5 and a “get healthy” FCS opponent late in the year.
We should never play schools not in our division add a bye if players need rest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CPTNQUIRK

I'm Your Captain!
A/V Subscriber
Nov 20, 2006
In the Boondocks in Creek County, Oklahoma
oSu and Baylor may be the frontrunners to become the "power" schools in the conference but I don't want to be like the current/former powers that only look to serve themselves. What Texas couldn't seem to grasp is that a strong overall conference IS what's best for Texas or OU or oSu or Baylor. Are we going to make the same mistake? They wanted it their way and in the process they destroyed a great conference, and in the process pulled the rug out from under their own feet. Sadly because of their economic prowess they get to abandon the very issue they created. It's shameful and I don't want to be a part of anything even remotely similar.

I want the new Big12 to grow into a great conference. We'll start out as a good conference for sure (competitively better than probably 2 of the current PT conferences), but we could be a GREAT conference that rivals the SEC or BIG. And to do that we have to give it a chance. oSu will be fine if the conferences are split up evenly and not Texas centric in one division. If we're not then we don't deserve to be one of the "power" schools.

Sent from my motorola edge plus using Tapatalk
A big part of the problem before was that Texas and OU were both in the same subdivision. Additionally, a North-South split was not good for the northern schools to recruit Texas. This caused a weaker subdivision in the north. For this reason I think there should only be two Texas schools in each subdivision. An east west split seems better going forward and OSU and Baylor seem to be the two front runners right now with Cincinnati and BYU likely contenders. So I think OSU and Baylor should be split and BYU and Cincinnati should be split.

Jun 13, 2010
Chicago
Let me get this straight. You say because OSU is such as major power in the Big 12 compared to others, OSU deserves the best division setup to maximum recruiting and should get the most revenue distributions (multiplier). You are selling OSU short. I think the conference championship game should always be in Stillwater, all OSU football games should be prime time at the best tv partner channel, should always be 6 home conference games , and regardless of record, OSU gets first pick of the bowl assignments. This all seems very reasonable. If the Big 12 can't accommodate all of this, they are doing a great disservice to OSU.
Honestly not a bad idea. Stillwater is at least central to this "conference."

Obviously many of us are still holding out for the PAC or B1G, so it will be an interesting 3-4 years. I do think Texas will eventually go independent, which will lead to other schools doing so.

Nov 27, 2007
Tulsa
Taco Tech has to change their colors to incorporate purple. Then we would play all the purple teams.
Mascot too…

The Red Raiders (Purple) makes about as much sense as the Big12 having 10 teams. The Purple Raiders doesn’t hit right… Maybe the Purple People Eaters? Purple Porpoise?

SLVRBK

Johnny 8ball's PR Manager
Staff
A/V Subscriber
Oct 16, 2003
Katy, TX
https://twitter.com/ssn_bigxii/status/1488566024672849926?s=21
This looks to me like they are trying to keep the anticipated “power teams” away from annual head to head matchups. TCU and TT look to have gotten screwed with OSU, BU and BYU every year, doesn’t look like they did any favors for UH either.

Aug 2, 2016
Oklahoma City
OSU needs to throw its weight around and make sure that this new look Big 12 works for us. If it doesn't, we need to leave for a bigger conference.

HCS and certain other fanbases keep pumping out content about expanding to 16 with SDSU or Boise or Memphis or Popcorn State or whatever. Despite the way OU and Texas treated us in the boardrooms, we are going to miss their "big time" perspective once this all becomes amateur hour. Baylor brass just doesn't think as strategically as Texas brass.

OSU may need to require a multiplier for our revenue split (like OU, UT, and A&M had in the old Big 12) or indexing TV payouts to ratings (my personal preference) or something like that. Or else we're going to see our payout diluted by all the Popcorn State invites that Baylor wants to hand out, and then they'll screw us again by putting us in a bad division for our recruiting.

This new Big 12 needs us more than we need them, we need to start leveraging that.

I wish this was the case. Unfortunately, if OSU had any weight to throw around they would be headed to a bigger conference now. OSU's best bet is to stick it out, and run the new Big12.