Big 12 Realignment thread, 2021 version

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

What conference would you like to see OSU join?

• ACC

• Big Ten

• PAC-12

• Expanded Big 12

• Other (please explain)

Results are only viewable after voting.
Mar 1, 2017
Houston
OSU needs to throw its weight around and make sure that this new look Big 12 works for us. If it doesn't, we need to leave for a bigger conference.

HCS and certain other fanbases keep pumping out content about expanding to 16 with SDSU or Boise or Memphis or Popcorn State or whatever. Despite the way OU and Texas treated us in the boardrooms, we are going to miss their "big time" perspective once this all becomes amateur hour. Baylor brass just doesn't think as strategically as Texas brass.

OSU may need to require a multiplier for our revenue split (like OU, UT, and A&M had in the old Big 12) or indexing TV payouts to ratings (my personal preference) or something like that. Or else we're going to see our payout diluted by all the Popcorn State invites that Baylor wants to hand out, and then they'll screw us again by putting us in a bad division for our recruiting.

This new Big 12 needs us more than we need them, we need to start leveraging that.
OSU is not throwing any weight around. Talking like this from UT and OU helped fracture the Big 12. After all, OSU and Texas Tech still have on their resume the bailing on the Big 12 from 2011. I recommend the Big 12 find ways to kick out OSU if OSU is not all in.

Sep 29, 2011
Breckenridge, CO
OSU needs to throw its weight around and make sure that this new look Big 12 works for us. If it doesn't, we need to leave for a bigger conference.

HCS and certain other fanbases keep pumping out content about expanding to 16 with SDSU or Boise or Memphis or Popcorn State or whatever. Despite the way OU and Texas treated us in the boardrooms, we are going to miss their "big time" perspective once this all becomes amateur hour. Baylor brass just doesn't think as strategically as Texas brass.

OSU may need to require a multiplier for our revenue split (like OU, UT, and A&M had in the old Big 12) or indexing TV payouts to ratings (my personal preference) or something like that. Or else we're going to see our payout diluted by all the Popcorn State invites that Baylor wants to hand out, and then they'll screw us again by putting us in a bad division for our recruiting.

This new Big 12 needs us more than we need them, we need to start leveraging that.
OSU is not throwing any weight around. Talking like this from UT and OU helped fracture the Big 12. After all, OSU and Texas Tech still have on their resume the bailing on the Big 12 from 2011. I recommend the Big 12 find ways to kick out OSU if OSU is not all in.
Perhaps the B12 should get rid of OSU. After all, when you start inviting high school teams to your league, you’ve essentially given up on the task of providing your best programs decent competition. Now maybe ISU and their all-world HC (lol) can pull themselves up from the bottom half of the league more than a couple times per decade, but I doubt it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Nov 27, 2007
Tulsa
The only time ISU throws it’s weight around is when their coeds go from the couch to the refrigerator.

Mar 1, 2017
Houston
Perhaps the B12 should get rid of OSU. After all, when you start inviting high school teams to your league, you’ve essentially given up on the task of providing your best programs decent competition. Now maybe ISU and their all-world HC (lol) can pull themselves up from the bottom half of the league more than a couple times per decade, but I doubt it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
When Campbell leaves, yeah, probably ISU will not be as good. But I wouldn't be boasting too much. OSU could be wandering in the darkness like they were for a decade pre-Gundy / Miles.

These high school teams will probably be kicking our asses.

Nov 27, 2007
Tulsa
When Campbell leaves, yeah, probably ISU will not be as good. But I wouldn't be boasting too much. OSU could be wandering in the darkness like they were for a decade pre-Gundy / Miles.

I never understand why Campbell gets all this love.

Tell another coach that is constantly praised after starting preseason top-10, 2 preseason all Americans, 18th year All Big12 QB, a decent defense, and goes 7-6… 2020 was a good year but that’s about it.

Maybe he does deserve praise and I just hate on him because I don’t like watching him chew gum on the sidelines…. I don’t really know.

Dec 2, 2008
SC

Maybe you guys will still be the BIG 12’s most together team or whatever the hell he said.
https://twitter.com/soundoff13/status/1460828847759310856?s=21

Mar 1, 2017
Houston
I never understand why Campbell gets all this love.

Tell another coach that is constantly praised after starting preseason top-10, 2 preseason all Americans, 18th year All Big12 QB, a decent defense, and goes 7-6… 2020 was a good year but that’s about it.

Maybe he does deserve praise and I just hate on him because I don’t like watching him chew gum on the sidelines…. I don’t really know.
Because of what Gumby alluded to. At a historical bad football program, Campbell is two time Big 12 coach of the year and 5 straight winning seasons. Iowa as a state doesn't have much talent and any talent is taken by Iowa. He has gotten the maximum out of the 2 and 3 star guys - like Snyder.

Jun 13, 2010
Chicago
Yeah go ahead and kick out your only major programs, and see how many "national championships" Directional Florida reels off. They'll probably claim one each time they curb stomp the Big 12's "most together team" or whatever.

The fact of the matter is OSU is subsidizing this conference in a way that OU/Texas did, but without getting any credit or benefit like OUT did.

https://medium.com/run-it-back-with-zach/which-college-football-programs-bring-in-the-most-tv-viewers-efc03c689e50

8. Oklahoma (2.90M)
13. Texas (2.269M)
16. Southern Cal (1.98M)
17. Texas A&M (1.851M)
18. Tennessee (1.849M)
19. Oklahoma State (1.64M)
21. Iowa (1.57M)
22. Nebraska (1.51M)
24. TCU (1.495M)
26. Oregon (1.34M)
30. West Virginia (1.27M)
35. Baylor (1.12M)
38. Texas Tech (921K)
46. Iowa State (747K)
48. BYU (714K)
52. Houston (689K)
53. Kansas State (682K)
58. Colorado (610K)
60. UCF (566K)
73. Kansas (346K)
76. Tulsa (265K)

And these are OLD numbers from 2019-2015 which was actually a down stretch for us. Whenever Gundy has a top 15 season, which is often enough to be the expectation in Stillwater (https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/coaches/mike-gundy-1.html), the numbers look more like this:

https://www.sportsmediawatch.com/college-football-tv-ratings/

OSU v Notre Dame 7.957 million viewers
OSU v. Baylor II 8.021 million viewers
OSU v. OU 6.486 million viewers
OSU v. TT 1.911 million viewers (blowout)
OSU v. TCU 1.373 million viewers (blowout)
OSU v. WVU 1.140 million viewers (blowout)
OSU v. ISU 2.659 million viewers (good game, Cyclones)
OSU v. Texas 3.129 million viewers

So we are undoubtedly subsidizing the Big 12, and that holds true whether we have a down season or an up season. Meanwhile this conference keeps looking to bring in more mouths to feed, and then relegate us to a division that will sever our recruiting ties to Texas. I want this conference to work out and I'm excited for it, but come on...

We will leave if we have to. We've already demonstrated that we will do what's best for Oklahoma State, and not what's best for the left-behind Big 8 schools, and especially not what's best for random Group of 5 programs.

Mar 1, 2017
Houston
Yeah go ahead and kick out your only major programs, and see how many "national championships" Directional Florida reels off. They'll probably claim one each time they curb stomp the Big 12's "most together team" or whatever.

The fact of the matter is OSU is subsidizing this conference in a way that OU/Texas did, but without getting any credit or benefit like OUT did.

https://medium.com/run-it-back-with-zach/which-college-football-programs-bring-in-the-most-tv-viewers-efc03c689e50

8. Oklahoma (2.90M)
13. Texas (2.269M)
16. Southern Cal (1.98M)
17. Texas A&M (1.851M)
18. Tennessee (1.849M)
21. Iowa (1.57M)
22. Nebraska (1.51M)
24. TCU (1.495M)
26. Oregon (1.34M)
35. Baylor (1.12M)
38. Texas Tech (921K)
46. Iowa State (747K)
48. BYU (714K)
52. Houston (689K)
53. Kansas State (682K)
58. Colorado (610K)
60. UCF (566K)
73. Kansas (346K)
76. Tulsa (265K)

And these are OLD numbers from 2019-2015 which was actually a down stretch for us. Whenever Gundy has a top 15 season, which is often enough to be the expectation in Stillwater (https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/coaches/mike-gundy-1.html), the numbers look more like this:

So we are undoubtedly subsidizing the Big 12, and that holds true whether we have a down season or an up season. Meanwhile this conference keeps looking to bring in more mouths to feed, and then relegate us to a division that will sever our recruiting ties to Texas. I want this conference to work out and I'm excited for it, but come on...

We will leave if we have to. We've already demonstrated that we will do what's best for Oklahoma State, and not what's best for the left-behind Big 8 schools, and especially not what's best for random Group of 5 programs.
That is exactly what OU has said for years that they have been carrying OSU and the conference. The Big 12 doesn't want another cancer.

There is no stopping you guys from going independent or going in cohorts with 3 others in forming an Eastern pod of the Pac-12. But Oliver Luck, the likely future Big 12 commish, will announce roll call in 3-1/2 years for signing the new 12 year Grant of Rights. The OSU rep will briefly look at his phone to see if any last minute deals appeared. He will see it blank and then will be running to the line to sign.

Jun 13, 2010
Chicago
We will not sign a long-term GOR. Sorry, can't do that in this environment.

You can go ahead and form the next Group of 5 conference if you want, but you could form a stronger conference by keeping it smaller, and with OSU and Tech (and maybe BU and TCU).

Mar 1, 2017
Houston

8. Oklahoma (2.90M)
13. Texas (2.269M)
16. Southern Cal (1.98M)
17. Texas A&M (1.851M)
18. Tennessee (1.849M)
21. Iowa (1.57M)
22. Nebraska (1.51M)
24. TCU (1.495M)
26. Oregon (1.34M)
35. Baylor (1.12M)
38. Texas Tech (921K)
46. Iowa State (747K)
48. BYU (714K)
52. Houston (689K)
53. Kansas State (682K)
58. Colorado (610K)
60. UCF (566K)
73. Kansas (346K)
76. Tulsa (265K)

CBS put up the North and the South but this is far less likely because of what you said due to allowing all to play in Texas. My guess:

West
BYU
Kansas
Kansas State
Texas Tech
Houston
OSU

East
Iowa State
Cincy
West Virginia
Central Florida
Baylor
TCU

Mar 1, 2017
Houston
We will not sign a long-term GOR. Sorry, can't do that in this environment.

You can go ahead and form the next Group of 5 conference if you want, but you could form a stronger conference by keeping it smaller, and with OSU and Tech (and maybe BU and TCU).
The GOR will be a requirement. You got 3-1/2 years max to figure out your next move.