Big 12 Realignment thread, 2021 version

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

What conference would you like to see OSU join?

• ACC

• Big Ten

• PAC-12

• Expanded Big 12

• Other (please explain)

Results are only viewable after voting.
Aug 2, 2016
Oklahoma City
Just a thought. Nebraska and A&M left because of having to deal with Texas. With Texas leaving, Nebraska may consider coming back to the Big 12 and A&M has made it clear they don't want to be in the same conference with Texas as well. If these two teams returned to the Big 12, would it be enough to save the conference?
Neither of those schools would leave their current conference

Aug 31, 2004
Austin, TX
Agree about the recruiting. Toward the top of a recruit's list almost always includes proximity to family/friends so they can see them play, go home, etc. On the other hand, we can play it like A/M and be the gateway to those who are interested in playing in the PAC. Not the draw of the SEC, but has to be some kids enamored by the west coast. TTU in the mix would water that down though, despite being further from DFW than Stillwater as was noted in the OP.
I'm sure a Texas kid's family wouldn't mind driving to Stilly to watch us play USC or Oregon.

Sep 12, 2013
Broken Arrow, OK
Just a thought. Nebraska and A&M left because of having to deal with Texas. With Texas leaving, Nebraska may consider coming back to the Big 12 and A&M has made it clear they don't want to be in the same conference with Texas as well. If these two teams returned to the Big 12, would it be enough to save the conference?
I would imagine they are exploring all possibilities including reaching out to Colorado, A&M, Nebraska, Missouri, and Arkansas. Not that I expect anything to come of it, but surely someone has made those phone calls.

Jan 14, 2006
The SEC is not taking anyone else. Period. B10 is extremely unlikely from a cultural/academic standpoint. ACC has two available slots, and I'm guessing WVU fills one. Pac is by far the best possibility for us, as they need to expand to the central time zone.
It might be the best we can do, I'll give you that, and I'll be relieved if we end up there since at least we'll be P5.

I'm holding out hope for the SEC, Big 10 and ACC however unlikely you think it is.

Crazy stuff is about to happen and every school/conference will be exploring all kinds of options that weren't possibilities before.

Aug 31, 2004
Austin, TX
It might be the best we can do, I'll give you that, and I'll be relieved if we end up there since at least we'll be P5.

I'm holding out hope for the SEC, Big 10 and ACC however unlikely you think it is.

Crazy stuff is about to happen and every school/conference will be exploring all kinds of options that weren't possibilities before.
For sure.

Jun 13, 2010
Chicago
After reading through the concerns about recruiting for the last 2 pages... I agree. Texas is key to recruiting, but what if we could combine Texas and California recruiting?? Boom.

I know I said the B1G was our best move, but recruiting is an issue. After reconsidering, I think by far our best move is the PAC 16 and taking AS MANY Texas teams as possible with us.

Let's get together with Texas Tech, TCU, and Houston, and just go. ASAP. I think for the sake of recruiting positioning, we need to block out anyone else from getting in on this.
_____

ACC - bad idea, they're just as unstable if not more so. They're dragged down by mostly bad programs and a poverty TV deal, far worse than the Big 12 ever saw.

SEC - fun fact, since going to the SEC, A&M is a combined 3-16 against Bama, LSU, and UGA. Nobody cares how A&M is recruiting because they've always done less with more. Wanna have Bedlam times four?

B1G - just look at what happened to Nebraska. Yikes.

PAC - Combine Texas and California recruiting, big ratings for OK State v. USC/Oregon, and at least some semblance of a cultural fit. They need us and we need them. Without us, they're looking at Boise, BYU and San Diego State lol. I think they'd rather take OSU and TTU.

Jul 5, 2020
Broken Arrow
SEC is absolutely the best possible outcome for us as a whole. If we pull that off we would firmly be in the "haves" group from here on out. True, our schedule would be really tough but our recruiting would skyrocket.

Big 10 and ACC are both excellent options.

PAC 12(6) at least keeps us in P5 but it's a distant 4th to the others.

Anything else is total disaster. Luckily our football TV numbers are really good.

I don't think it's prudent to factor in potential wins/losses as much as overall conference prestige. A 7-5 football team in the SEC with $150 mil in revenue is better for your school than 11-1 in another conference with much less $. IMHO
Aside from the money, I just don't see how SEC would be the best possible outcome for football. In the eyes of the conference, recruits, and to a certain extent the nation, we'd just be considered the newest Mississippi State team.

Sep 12, 2013
Broken Arrow, OK
Random thoughts...

Preferences for landing spots?

• SEC - not likely to happen, there would have to be some big shifts like Missouri and/or A&M leave for the B1G?
  • ACC - prefer going east for conference teammates, but I'm not sure how strong the ACC is and they don't pay out as much money per school, non top-tier schools are not as strong
  • B1G - not a snowball's chance in ... But image the wrestling schedule!!!!
  • PACX - really have no interest in playing west coast teams
  • Big XII - stay at 8, collect the money from Texas and OU, afterwards bolt for other conferences
  • AAC - this is a sad day
  • Independent? Go big or go home?

The best landing spot will be one that will increase the NIL revenues of our players. If you can get the NIL revenue you will get the players, and it won't matter which conference you are in. Given, the SEC probably has/will have the highest NIL per player of any conference. If you can crack that nut, the rest will take care of itself.

You know with OU and Texas bolting for the SEC, the B1G will want to add blue bloods as well. List of possible schools:
  • Notre Dame
  • Missouri
  • Texas A&M
  • Southern Cal
  • Iowa State
  • Kansas

What happens if we decide to join the PACX and USC bolts for the B1G with Notre Dame. That's two huge adds for the B1G.

What if it's Missery and A&M?

Neither of those scenarios? Would they take ISU and KU? ISU adds some quality football, at least lately. Iowa may object, but that might carry as much weight as A&M's objection to UT joining the SEC. Kansas adds great basketball.

The ACC better jump in the mix too and offer Notre Dame and someone, who? From our eyes, it certainly makes sense for WVU to join the ACC, but they have been reluctant to extend an offer in the past.

Jan 15, 2017
Enid
After reading through the concerns about recruiting for the last 2 pages... I agree. Texas is key to recruiting, but what if we could combine Texas and California recruiting?? Boom.

I know I said the B1G was our best move, but recruiting is an issue. After reconsidering, I think by far our best move is the PAC 16 and taking AS MANY Texas teams as possible with us.

Let's get together with Texas Tech, TCU, and Houston, and just go. ASAP. I think for the sake of recruiting positioning, we need to block out anyone else from getting in on this.
_____

ACC - bad idea, they're just as unstable if not more so. They're dragged down by mostly bad programs and a poverty TV deal, far worse than the Big 12 ever saw.

SEC - fun fact, since going to the SEC, A&M is a combined 3-16 against Bama, LSU, and UGA. Nobody cares how A&M is recruiting because they've always done less with more. Wanna have Bedlam times four?

B1G - just look at what happened to Nebraska. Yikes.

PAC - Combine Texas and California recruiting, big ratings for OK State v. USC/Oregon, and at least some semblance of a cultural fit. They need us and we need them. Without us, they're looking at Boise, BYU and San Diego State lol. I think they'd rather take OSU and TTU.
Tech, TCU, and KState. Let Baylor and Kansas rot. :thumbup:

Jun 13, 2010
Chicago
Tech, TCU, and KState. Let Baylor and Kansas rot. :thumbup:
KU is going to the B1G. Baylor probably will rot. I would be very, very worried if I were KSU. They should be on the phone with the B1G, the ACC, and angling for political leverage with KU. The issue is the B1G probably won't want either, but especially won't want both.

We are better off, honestly, roping Houston in for the 4th PAC spot over KSU. It sucks but it's true. A "pod" with as much Texas as possible, and games in California, would be dynamite for recruiting.

Also look at it from the perspective of the PAC. I could see them wanting a Texas+OSU pod. In fact we know they have wanted it for over a decade. K-State? :/

Apr 14, 2008
Texas
Short Term, our most likely best option is an expanded PAC16, and perhaps ACC. But, don't forget that all is not well in those two conferences either. Recall those rumors of Florida St not happy with TV money, so don't be fooled into thinking PAC12 and ACC are on unshakable solid ground. This OU/UT move is probably the first of many dominos to fall in next 2-3 years. I think there will eventually be a break away of 32 football programs to form their on super league. I suspect it might look something like this...

1627065359858.png

# is the rank of athletic dept revenue per USA Today 2018-2019

You can debate divisional alignment and perhaps inclusion/exclusion of a few but it would be pretty much this.

"Conference Affiliation" will normalize in post-football super league to be more geographical for remainder of sports. If we move towards a 4 conferences of 64 teams, it will probably kill off the NCAA Tourney too.

College sports was changed forever the moment the supreme court ruled in favor of NIL. This OU/UT move is the first reaction to that.

Last edited:
Sep 12, 2013
Broken Arrow, OK
I'm sure someone will create a Priceless meme about going to a football game and not hearing 3 hours of:

Boomer Sooner...Boomer Sooner...Boomer Sooner...Boomer Sooner...Boomer Sooner...Boomer Sooner...Boomer Sooner...Boomer Sooner...Boomer Sooner...Boomer Sooner...Boomer Sooner...Boomer Sooner...Boomer Sooner...Boomer Sooner...Boomer Sooner...Boomer Sooner...Boomer Sooner...Boomer Sooner...Boomer Sooner...Boomer Sooner...Boomer Sooner...Boomer Sooner...Boomer Sooner...Boomer Sooner...Boomer Sooner...Boomer Sooner...Boomer Sooner...Boomer Sooner...Boomer Sooner...Boomer Sooner...Boomer Sooner...Boomer Sooner...Boomer Sooner...Boomer Sooner...Boomer Sooner...Boomer Sooner...Boomer Sooner...Boomer Sooner...Boomer Sooner...Boomer Sooner...Boomer Sooner...Boomer Sooner...Boomer Sooner...Boomer Sooner...Boomer Sooner...Boomer Sooner...Boomer Sooner...Boomer Sooner...Boomer Sooner...Boomer Sooner...Boomer Sooner...Boomer Sooner...Boomer Sooner...Boomer Sooner...Boomer Sooner...Boomer Sooner...Boomer Sooner...Boomer Sooner...Boomer Sooner...Boomer Sooner...Boomer Sooner...Boomer Sooner...Boomer Sooner...Boomer Sooner...Boomer Sooner...Boomer Sooner...Boomer Sooner...Boomer Sooner...Boomer Sooner...Boomer Sooner...Boomer Sooner...Boomer Sooner...Boomer Sooner...Boomer Sooner...Boomer Sooner...Boomer Sooner...Boomer Sooner...Boomer Sooner...Boomer Sooner...Boomer Sooner...Boomer Sooner...Boomer Sooner...Boomer Sooner...Boomer Sooner...Boomer Sooner...Boomer Sooner...Boomer Sooner...Boomer Sooner...Boomer Sooner...Boomer Sooner...Boomer Sooner...Boomer Sooner...

Apr 14, 2008
Texas
Another thought...what does the language in ESPN/FOX deals say regarding minimum number of schools for continued Big XII payout? Won't be surprised if any remaining schools get double hosed by OU/UT on the buyout being reduced, or eliminated by default on Big XII inability to maintain a certain level of competition post-departure.

Nov 6, 2010
Without a doubt the B1G is the best possibility. I just don't see any chance that happens. KU is a lock due to basketball and AAU. Probably ISU is #2. Not sure though. We shall see.
I don't see how the B1G would have any interest in Iowa State since they already have Iowa. Of course this is a whole new game now, so who knows.

Jan 4, 2005
Bowlsby should be fired Monday morning.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nc...-played-by-greg-sankey-and-the-sec/ar-AAMunPu

Big 12 commissioner Bob Bowlsby got played by Greg Sankey and the SEC
Wescott Eberts 22 mins ago

If the Big 12 ends up dissolving after the Texas Longhorns and Oklahoma Sooners officially receive invitations to join the SEC, a move likely to win approval as soon as next week, commissioner Bob Bowlsby deserves some of the blame.
© Kevin Jairaj-USA TODAY Sports
Hired from Stanford in 2012 to help lead the new version of the conference following the departures of four original members and the additions of TCU and West Virginia, Bowlsby faced the challenge of finalizing negotiations for Big 12 media rights and pulling together a conference split by the failures of his predecessor Dan Beebe.

But if Bowlsby’s legacy leading the Big 12 depends on the vision he’s displayed over the last year — or the lack thereof — it won’t be a positive one. In particular, he failed to recognize the extent to which Texas and Oklahoma wanted to get out of the conference, moves precipitated by leadership recently put in place. That failure of vision left Bowlsby and the conference unequipped to deal with the news when it finally, belatedly broke.

The signs were on the horizon, starting earlier this year.
With the SEC finalizing its new contract with Disney last December, the Big 12 hired a media consulting group that informed member institutions that the television partners were unwilling to engage in preemptive negotiations with the league, a strong sign that the Big 12 had fallen behind other Power Five conferences in valuation.

Meanwhile, Bowlsby was working with other commissioners like the SEC’s Greg Sankey on the College Football Playoff Board of Managers to initiate a feasibility study to expand the College Football Playoff to 12 teams, a move that stood to benefit the nation’s most powerful football conference much more than the Big 12.
During the process, Bowlsby publicly praised Sankey for his work on the board of managers.

But Sankey wasn’t focused on what was best for college football — he was doing his job focusing on the best interests of the SEC.

When Big 12 Media Days arrived, Bowlsby was not only unaware of any potential threats to his conference, he believed that concerns about realignment were a thing of the past. For the final question of his press conference, Bowlsby indicated that he’d invested more thought in whether he might receive another question about Big 12 expansion, joking that he’d won a five-dollar bet when it never came.

“It’s really moot on that question. Conference alignment is always at the discretion of the conferences. But you have to remember, the last time around, the last round of conference realignments was all driven by cable households, and we find ourselves now in a rapidly shrinking cable environment. It is much less driven by capturing a particular cable market because if it’s an in-market fee, you get a lot more money for it than if it’s an out-of-market fee. So the more you can include those things, the more revenue you’re going to derive from it,” Bowlsby said.

“That motivation is essentially gone. The cable universe has shrunk 20 million households already. It’s going to continue to shrink as we migrate to digital consumption and streaming. And so a lot of the motivation for realignment is no longer there.”

Bowlsby acknowledge that some of the motivation could still be there, but noted that “it’s not one of the things that keeps me up at night.”

Perhaps it should have, because for at least the last year, Texas and Oklahoma were planning the move to the SEC while engaging in back-channel communications with other leagues like the ACC, according to Pete Thamel of Yahoo Sports.

Even if Bowlsby didn’t have expansion on his radar, the pending end of the Big 12’s grant of rights and the dissatisfaction of Texas and Oklahoma made those two schools some of the only expansion candidates that television partners would actually pay to add.
Bowlsby seemed oblivious to that reality as the two schools and Sankey did such a good job of keeping those discussions quiet that the news didn’t emerge until this week at SEC Media Days, presumably when Texas A&M finally found out about the plans and leaked the news in an attempt to sabotage the addition of Texas that it opposed.

The Big 12 was left in a completely reactionary position, holding an emergency conference call with leadership on Thursday evening. By that time, Texas and Oklahoma weren’t even interested in joining in those discussions, having moved past the point of anything convincing them to stay.
In the most critical moment of his nearly 10 years leading the Big 12, Bowlsby was left without the option of even making a last-second pitch to his two most important member institutions.
It’s a ruthless business and while Bowlsby was sleeping soundly at night, exhausted from the demands imposed by the pandemic, Sankey was busy scheming to form the nation’s first super conference by adding two of the biggest programs in college sports.
And that’s exactly the type of bold, effective leadership that further puts into perspective why Texas and Oklahoma were so intent on leaving the Big 12 and focused on joining the SEC in the first place.

Attachments