Big 12 Realignment thread, 2021 version

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

What conference would you like to see OSU join?

• ACC

• Big Ten

• PAC-12

• Expanded Big 12

• Other (please explain)

Results are only viewable after voting.

ScooberJake

Territorial Marshal
Jul 13, 2004
Denver, CO
I don’t like going beyond 12 and I don’t see it as being beneficial right now. But the future of the P5 conferences is 20 teams with 2 10 team pods. I hate that even more. The only for sure thing is the Big 12 is expanding beyond 12. It’s just a matter of if we go to 14 or 16 in wave 2 of expansion.
Do you mean the future of P4 is 20 team conferences? There is no way 100 schools are being invited to this party. Even 80 seems like a big stretch. 4 conferences with 16 teams seems more doable. But the trouble is all of the conferences that would be one of the final four standing already have teams that shouldn't be in that final 64. It would take a true reboot of the entire system to leave Vanderbilt and Northwestern behind.

Dec 2, 2008
SC
Do you mean the future of P4 is 20 team conferences? There is no way 100 schools are being invited to this party. Even 80 seems like a big stretch. 4 conferences with 16 teams seems more doable. But the trouble is all of the conferences that would be one of the final four standing already have teams that shouldn't be in that final 64. It would take a true reboot of the entire system to leave Vanderbilt and Northwestern behind.
No. From what I’ve read, some “experts” think we’ll eventually have 4 P5 ‘super conferences’ consisting of 20 teams.

SLVRBK

Johnny 8ball's PR Manager
Staff
A/V Subscriber
Oct 16, 2003
Katy, TX
Under NIL I have a hard time seeing it being viable with 80 teams. Even if tv contract money is good certain schools will continue to “buy” the best teams and dominate. The new organization would need, IMHO, to institute some kind of parity model

Sep 9, 2013
Wouldnt it be a hoot if Amazon or Apple stepped in and the big 12 made more than the ACC or Pac?

"With Apple spending $7 billion annually on original content and having roughly $200 billion of cash on its balance sheet, we believe the company is gearing up to bid on a number of upcoming sports packages coming up for contract/renewals in future years. We note that upcoming sports packages potentially for bid over the next four years that Apple can be involved with (in some capacity/semi-exclusive) are: NFL (Sunday Night Ticket), Big Ten, Pac 12, Big East, Big 12, other NCAA sports packages (2024 timing), NASCAR, and the NBA/WNBA."
https://www.macrumors.com/2022/01/14/apple-to-spend-billions-live-sports-content/

Jan 6, 2007
Jackson Hole, WY
I really like having to play every team once/year in football and twice (home/home) per year in basketball........would like to keep it that way if/when we level off at 12 teams...in the Big 12 conference. Football could go ahead and schedule 11 conference games w/no championship game and still throw in 1 or 2 non-conf.. Basketball would have 22 conference games and still throw in 8-10 non-conf.......and continue w/conf. tourney or have 10-12 non-conf. w/no tourney.

Every team needs to play every other team......every year........to determine a TRUE champion!

trippin629

Territorial Marshal
Aug 26, 2009
Tulsa
I really like having to play every team once/year in football and twice (home/home) per year in basketball........would like to keep it that way if/when we level off at 12 teams...in the Big 12 conference. Football could go ahead and schedule 11 conference games w/no championship game and still throw in 1 or 2 non-conf.. Basketball would have 22 conference games and still throw in 8-10 non-conf.......and continue w/conf. tourney or have 10-12 non-conf. w/no tourney.

Every team needs to play every other team......every year........to determine a TRUE champion!
No conference championship game seems like it hurts in the current CFP format. Future format, who knows.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Dec 2, 2008
SC
No conference championship game seems like it hurts in the current CFP format. Future format, who knows.

You’re exactly right. Right or wrong, not playing on “championship weekend” while most everyone else is hurts chances of moving up in the polls. You’re seen as sitting idle even though you’ve played just as many games as those who are playing for a conference title.

Nov 27, 2007
Tulsa

Interesting concept but it won’t fly. CCG generates too much money. Had we had a CCG the year BU and TCU tied, one would have likely jumped into the CFP which cost the Big12 a lot of money.

Unfortunately, the decision making process isn’t about what’s best for the sport, what defines a champion, or how to make every game matter. It’s how do we make the most money?

Jan 6, 2007
Jackson Hole, WY
Interesting concept but it won’t fly. CCG generates too much money. Had we had a CCG the year BU and TCU tied, one would have likely jumped into the CFP which cost the Big12 a lot of money.

Unfortunately, the decision making process isn’t about what’s best for the sport, what defines a champion, or how to make every game matter. It’s how do we make the most money?
OK, you can have the champ games (FB & BB) and still set scheduling up to play every team/every year in FB and home/home in BB..........just a few less crappy non-conf. games.

trippin629

Territorial Marshal
Aug 26, 2009
Tulsa
Plus in a 12 team league you'd be looking at 11 conference games and only one non-con. Typically want at least one power 5 and one none-power 5 on the schedule at least for resume purposes.