Big 12 Realignment thread, 2021 version

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

What conference would you like to see OSU join?

• ACC

• Big Ten

• PAC-12

• Expanded Big 12

• Other (please explain)

Results are only viewable after voting.

CocoCincinnati

Federal Marshal
Feb 7, 2007
Tulsa, OK
There's no way Texas is giving up the longhorn network and I can't see the sec being ok with that. Plus the big 12 does pretty much whatever Texas wants, the sec might stand up to them a bit (oh you don't like the horns down, well TOUGH). Texas isn't leaving...ou makes more sense.

osupsycho

MAXIMUM EFFORT!!!
A/V Subscriber
Apr 20, 2005
Valhalla
I don't buy that logic. The SECN needs eyeballs. OU would bring the state. This will likely all be decided in Texas anyway.
Content is eyeballs, so we are essentially saying the same thing. Previously it was not about eyeballs as it was about the number of cable users in the schools footprint. That is why Rutgers got in the Big 10.

tmcats

Wrangler
Feb 13, 2014
There's no way Texas is giving up the longhorn network and I can't see the sec being ok with that. Plus the big 12 does pretty much whatever Texas wants, the sec might stand up to them a bit (oh you don't like the horns down, well TOUGH). Texas isn't leaving...ou makes more sense.

The LHN pays $15 million annually to Texas. The SEC 2021 payout was $45.5 million/school, the B12 $34.5 million per school. The difference would be minimal for Texas in a zero-sum game, which it won't be as Texas will add value.

Duke Silver

Find safe haven in a warm bathtub full of my jazz.
A/V Subscriber
Sep 17, 2004
Cozy's Bar
The LHN pays $15 million annually to Texas. The SEC 2021 payout was $45.5 million/school, the B12 $34.5 million per school. The difference would be minimal for Texas in a zero-sum game, which it won't be as Texas will add value.
the sec payout will be way higher if texas and ou join. 51 million or better.

Sep 8, 2014
The back 40
I think this is more about the issue of players getting paid for their name and likeness.

neither Oklahoma schools have the alumni base to compete with Texas, Texas A&M, Ohio State and the like..the only way to make the case that a star at ou will get the potential payday that they would get at a larger school is to say that they are aligned with what is perceived to be the premier college football league and with streaming, these kids will get in front of tons of potential customers.

my concern is if this happens our football program is hosed. Basketball, baseball etc will still be competitive and make lots of noise but we dont have the national following of the goons, the alumni base of Texas or the academic chops of Kansas and Iowa State. Because of that we become the odd man out.

once upon a time I felt the partnership politically between ou and OSU would keep this from happening. With Boren and Hargis gone and with the new rules on players getting paid for likeness the game very well may have changed.

Jan 14, 2006
I'm usually pretty optimistic about all things OSU but I can't see this as a good thing for us at all.

We need to be making our case for the Big 10 right now. The PAC 12 is a joke and other than that it's the AAC.

May 26, 2012
I can see us and Iowa State going to the big 10 if this happens. Probably a best case scenario
I'm usually pretty optimistic about all things OSU but I can't see this as a good thing for us at all.

We need to be making our case for the Big 10 right now. The PAC 12 is a joke and other than that it's the AAC.