Big 12 Realignment thread, 2021 version

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

What conference would you like to see OSU join?

• ACC

• Big Ten

• PAC-12

• Expanded Big 12

• Other (please explain)

Results are only viewable after voting.

andylicious

Territorial Marshal
Nov 16, 2013
tractor
I’m surprised his comments aren’t getting more run. I think he’s spot on and I’ll just say I expect he’s well advised on the subject.
Do you really think ESPN/SEC wants that out in the public? The funny part is if two to four PAC schools go BIG then the SEC has to pick up four quality schools. That means the ACC and BIG XII will lose some schools.

Cimarron

It's not dying I'm talking about, it's living.
Jun 28, 2007
Here are the conference rank from Sagarin.

Take out the split conference ranks that he does and average the two divisions.

77.85 SEC
78.74 BIG 12
77.93 BIG TEN
74.72 ACC
73.65 PAC 12

The issue isn't quality of teams. It's the number of television sets and internet clicks.

OSUCowboy787

Territorial Marshal
Dec 31, 2008
Keller, Texas
Do you really think ESPN/SEC wants that out in the public? The funny part is if two to four PAC schools go BIG then the SEC has to pick up four quality schools. That means the ACC and BIG XII will lose some schools.
why would the SEC have to add anyone if the B1G picks up 2? They would then match the SEC 16 teams. So that would leave possibly the Big12 and ACC poaching the other schools to race to 16. Big 12 would have the advantage being closer to the other schools and most likely a better(shorter) GOR deal than the ACC currently has.

EDIT : Best case Scenario is Big 12 stays put at 12 and waits for the ACC GOR to expire and somehow manages to pull FSU, Clemson, Miami and Louisville from the ACC.

Last edited:

Cimarron

It's not dying I'm talking about, it's living.
Jun 28, 2007
why would the SEC have to add anyone if the B1G picks up 2? They would then match the SEC 16 teams. So that would leave possibly the Big12 and ACC poaching the other schools to race to 16. Big 12 would have the advantage being closer to the other schools and most likely a better(shorter) GOR deal than the ACC currently has.

EDIT : Best case Scenario is Big 12 stays put at 12 and waits for the ACC GOR to expire and somehow manages to pull FSU, Clemson, Miami and Louisville from the ACC.
That would be a pretty stout conference and have a wide media reach.

East
Central Florida
Cincinnati
Clemson
Florida State
Iowa State
Louisville
Miami
West Virginia

West
Baylor
BYU
Houston
Kansas
Kansas State
Oklahoma State
TCU
Texas Tech

Sep 9, 2013
That would be a pretty stout conference and have a wide media reach.

East
Central Florida
Cincinnati
Clemson
Florida State
Iowa State
Louisville
Miami
West Virginia

West
Baylor
BYU
Houston
Kansas
Kansas State
Oklahoma State
TCU
Texas Tech
Strike out Miami, a small private school with few fans that is in decline, and Louisville who have no fans outside their city and add VT and NC state.

Aug 7, 2006
Looks like the AAC just killed any chance of MWC expansion, so the Big 12 should be in no hurry to add any schools from the G5. The word was the MWC was looking to get into Texas as that was really their only chance to add schools that made sense(UTEP, UTSA, NT and possibly stealing SMU). However, the AAC is going to add UTSA, North Texas and Rice along with Charlotte, UAB and Florida Atlantic. They essentially just killed CUSA as well because they took 6 schools and I would bet some of the better programs in that conference(La Tech, Marshall, Southern Miss) move to the Sunbelt. Hopefully UTEP can still find a way to the MWC because things are looking very grim for them if they don't.

https://sports.yahoo.com/sources-th...xpansion-to-reshape-conference-014015069.html

Nov 6, 2010
Looks like the AAC just killed any chance of MWC expansion, so the Big 12 should be in no hurry to add any schools from the G5. The word was the MWC was looking to get into Texas as that was really their only chance to add schools that made sense(UTEP, UTSA, NT and possibly stealing SMU). However, the AAC is going to add UTSA, North Texas and Rice along with Charlotte, UAB and Florida Atlantic. They essentially just killed CUSA as well because they took 6 schools and I would bet some of the better programs in that conference(La Tech, Marshall, Southern Miss) move to the Sunbelt. Hopefully UTEP can still find a way to the MWC because things are looking very grim for them if they don't.

https://sports.yahoo.com/sources-th...xpansion-to-reshape-conference-014015069.html
UTEP would probably be better served to drop football if we're being honest. And once all this shakes out, I wouldn't be surprised to see several more borderline schools drop it. I can't imagine playing to empty stadiums will be worthwhile when even the meager TV revenue they're getting now dries up.

Jul 9, 2011
Carlos, TX
I wonder about schools like Rice as well. Small school, highly ranked academics - do the need a marginal football program? When Rice was in the Southwest Conference, I remember an article in the Houston Chronical that said there were more students on campus at UT than there were total students AND total living alumni of Rice. Very small crowds at games, I'd say they average maybe 10,000. I used to go and take my kids just so they could see a college football game - tickets were very inexpensive.

SLVRBK

Johnny 8ball's PR Manager
Staff
A/V Subscriber
Oct 16, 2003
Katy, TX
I wonder about schools like Rice as well. Small school, highly ranked academics - do the need a marginal football program? When Rice was in the Southwest Conference, I remember an article in the Houston Chronical that said there were more students on campus at UT than there were total students AND total living alumni of Rice. Very small crowds at games, I'd say they average maybe 10,000. I used to go and take my kids just so they could see a college football game - tickets were very inexpensive.
Yeah, I don’t understand schools like Rice and Tulsa with enrollment number between 5k-6k playing in FBS

Nov 6, 2010
I think its a status thing for those universities more than anything else.
I bet they still eek out a little profit with the TV money, but when the conferences reshuffle and the TV deals are updated, that probably won't be the case. I wouldn't be surprised to see Tulsa and a few others go the Creighton/Wichita State route and focus on football and baseball and drop out of football.

Aug 7, 2006
I bet they still eek out a little profit with the TV money, but when the conferences reshuffle and the TV deals are updated, that probably won't be the case. I wouldn't be surprised to see Tulsa and a few others go the Creighton/Wichita State route and focus on football and baseball and drop out of football.
I bet they are losing money. Tulsa for sure is, that is why they made their football and basketball coaches take a pay cut pre-pandemic.

Feb 15, 2017
Texas
Why does Rice play ut ? Why go to the moon ?

SLVRBK

Johnny 8ball's PR Manager
Staff
A/V Subscriber
Oct 16, 2003
Katy, TX
Yes and for Rice, keeping up with the schools that they regularly recruit against... not just for student athletes, but students as well.
More than half of Rice's students are out of state or international students and they don't attend Rice for their football team. Rice is one of the premier universities in the US and world, they are recruiting against the Ivy's, MIT, UW St. Louis, etc. and I don't think they need FBS football to maintain that 3,900 undergrad population.

snuffy

Calf fries are the original sack lunch.
Staff
A/V Subscriber
Feb 28, 2007
Oklahoma