Big 12 Realignment thread, 2021 version

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

What conference would you like to see OSU join?

• ACC

• Big Ten

• PAC-12

• Expanded Big 12

• Other (please explain)

Results are only viewable after voting.
Aug 31, 2004
Austin, TX
I'm sorry, but I would much rather watch us play Arizona, Arizona State, Utah and Colorado..and I would bet that most non-OSU fans who are TV surfing would be more inclined to as well over KSU v. Memphis, OSU v. UCF, Iowa State v. Houston, Kansas v. Boise State. It is about branding, and those PAC 12 schools have much bigger and better branding, that is what will bring in the dollars and streaming/TV viewers in the years to come.
I disagree. Three of the four you listed have not been relevant in a decade. Arizona and Colorado have sucked out loud for going on 20 years. Memphis and Boise St. have not been added to the conference. Cincinnati has one of the best winning % of any team in the country over the past several years, and is located in a highly populated area that loves college football. They are currently ranked #5 after beating ND at home, and are squarely in the CFB discussion. BYU is 13th and playing great football in a packed stadium; UCF and Houston both have vast resources and top-shelf coaches.

Mar 8, 2010
Wouldn’t be surprised to see all this end with just two major conferences (Big Ten & SEC) with multiple pods or divisions. North vs South. I’m going to miss college football as we once knew it.

osupsycho

MAXIMUM EFFORT!!!
A/V Subscriber
Apr 20, 2005
Valhalla
Wouldn’t be surprised to see all this end with just two major conferences (Big Ten & SEC) with multiple pods or divisions. North vs South. I’m going to miss college football as we once knew it.
Most likely is that some form of the knight commission recommendation will come about where a certain number of top teams will break away and form their own division that is run by them for football only outside the NCAA. It could be as few as 32 teams but might be as many as 64 (or any reasonable number between). When that happens they will likely reorganize into some type of pods or divisions and have a clear path to playoff set up within that design. We just need to make sure we stay good enough to be included when that happens probably sometime in the next 10-15 years.

RxCowboy

Has no Rx for his orange obsession.
A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
Closer to Stillwater today than I was last year
Most likely is that some form of the knight commission recommendation will come about where a certain number of top teams will break away and form their own division that is run by them for football only outside the NCAA. It could be as few as 32 teams but might be as many as 64 (or any reasonable number between). When that happens they will likely reorganize into some type of pods or divisions and have a clear path to playoff set up within that design. We just need to make sure we stay good enough to be included when that happens probably sometime in the next 10-15 years.
The current NCAA charter says that if you NCAA for any sport you must be NCAA for all sports. Breaking away would mean breaking away.

sent from Tapatalk penalized by wearing a mask

wrenhal

Federal Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
The current NCAA charter says that if you NCAA for any sport you must be NCAA for all sports. Breaking away would mean breaking away.
What do the guys running the basketball tournament have to do with football?
The only thing they DON'T do, is control post season play. Everything else is under their purview.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

RxCowboy

A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
NCAA is a voluntary organization of member institutions. In order to be a member institution, the institution has to agree to the charter, and right now the charter says you can't separate a single sport.

osupsycho

MAXIMUM EFFORT!!!
A/V Subscriber
Apr 20, 2005
Valhalla

This is something that the NCAA came up with themselves with the Knight Commission report, not just some pipedream.

https://www.knightcommission.org/20...ning-structure-for-the-sport-of-fbs-football/

"After a year-long examination, the Knight Commission on Intercollegiate Athletics called today for major governance changes for Division I sports, proposing a new governing entity for the sport of football at the Football Bowl Subdivision (FBS) level, separate from the NCAA. The NCAA would govern all other sports in a reorganized Division I governance, and schools with FBS football programs would remain part of the NCAA in all other sports except football."

RxCowboy

A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004

This is something that the NCAA came up with themselves with the Knight Commission report, not just some pipedream.

https://www.knightcommission.org/20...ning-structure-for-the-sport-of-fbs-football/

"After a year-long examination, the Knight Commission on Intercollegiate Athletics called today for major governance changes for Division I sports, proposing a new governing entity for the sport of football at the Football Bowl Subdivision (FBS) level, separate from the NCAA. The NCAA would govern all other sports in a reorganized Division I governance, and schools with FBS football programs would remain part of the NCAA in all other sports except football."
The Knight Commission is independent.

About the Knight Commission on Intercollegiate Athletics

The Knight Commission was formed by the John S. and James L. Knight Foundation in October 1989 to promote reforms that lead transformational change to prioritize college athletes’ education, health, safety and success.

osupsycho

MAXIMUM EFFORT!!!
A/V Subscriber
Apr 20, 2005
Valhalla

The Knight Commission was formed by the John S. and James L. Knight Foundation in October 1989 to promote reforms that lead transformational change to prioritize college athletes’ education, health, safety and success.

Yes but there are a lot of people on the Knight commission were a part of the NCAA at one time and the NCAA has a history of doing what they recommend. I mean at the end of the day the NCAA is just all the universities themselves so they can easily make this happen if they want. It would solve a LOT of problems for the NCAA as well since FBS football could then be on a different rule structure.

Sep 12, 2013
Broken Arrow, OK
I see my comment was taken way too literal. The NCAA, in it's current incarnation, is on it's deathbed. The commissioner is weak, they did nothing for NIL, investigations are a joke, punishments/non-punishments are wildly inconsistent, amateurism is over, the National Labor Board is poking it's nose into college athletics, league makeup is controlled by ESPN, the Alliance (LOL), etc. The NCAA is impotent. Just waiting for the day when the NCAA goes to punish a university and they say nah, not going to happen.

RxCowboy

A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004

Yes but there are a lot of people on the Knight commission were a part of the NCAA at one time and the NCAA has a history of doing what they recommend. I mean at the end of the day the NCAA is just all the universities themselves so they can easily make this happen if they want. It would solve a LOT of problems for the NCAA as well since FBS football could then be on a different rule structure.
From the NCAA Constitution and Bylaws

3.1.2.2 Combining Entire Athletics Programs. The institutions shall combine their entire athletics programs, and the consortium shall not be formed on a sport-by-sport basis. (Revised: 7/30/10)

osupsycho

MAXIMUM EFFORT!!!
A/V Subscriber
Apr 20, 2005
Valhalla

3.1.2.2 Combining Entire Athletics Programs. The institutions shall combine their entire athletics programs, and the consortium shall not be formed on a sport-by-sport basis. (Revised: 7/30/10)

Note the bolded part, thus they can revise it again to allow football to be on its own if they want too...

RxCowboy

A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004

Note the bolded part, thus they can revise it again to allow football to be on its own if they want too...
What was the revision in 2010 a response to?

osupsycho

MAXIMUM EFFORT!!!
A/V Subscriber
Apr 20, 2005
Valhalla

Not a clue...lol. I am just saying that people act like the NCAA is some big entity that makes all the rules when it reality it is just all the schools themselves making their own rules when they care too. If the FBS schools decide to break away for football only and it makes sense to the FCS schools then it will happen. The FCS schools will probably get behind it so that they can not have to follow rules that FBS football put into place. I mean they aren't getting the FBS money now anyway. But that said it also makes me think that it will be a larger number of FBS schools that break away, not just the 32 that some think. If it is just 32 then that leaves 88 other FBS schools left behind that can sabotage that vote (130 current FBS schools).

RxCowboy

A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004

Not a clue...lol. I am just saying that people act like the NCAA is some big entity that makes all the rules when it reality it is just all the schools themselves making their own rules when they care too. If the FBS schools decide to break away for football only and it makes sense to the FCS schools then it will happen. The FCS schools will probably get behind it so that they can not have to follow rules that FBS football put into place. I mean they aren't getting the FBS money now anyway. But that said it also makes me think that it will be a larger number of FBS schools that break away, not just the 32 that some think. If it is just 32 then that leaves 88 other FBS schools left behind that can sabotage that vote (130 current FBS schools).
I think the NCAA governance is more complex than you are making it to be. The Board of Governors, university presidents, has no legislative authority. They can recommend legislation, but it then has to go through the legislative bodies.