Big 12 Realignment thread, 2021 version

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

What conference would you like to see OSU join?

• ACC

• Big Ten

• PAC-12

• Expanded Big 12

• Other (please explain)

Results are only viewable after voting.
Jun 29, 2004
La Jolla, California
I'm sorry, but I would much rather watch us play Arizona, Arizona State, Utah and Colorado..and I would bet that most non-OSU fans who are TV surfing would be more inclined to as well over KSU v. Memphis, OSU v. UCF, Iowa State v. Houston, Kansas v. Boise State. It is about branding, and those PAC 12 schools have much bigger and better branding, that is what will bring in the dollars and streaming/TV viewers in the years to come. Ask Chad Weiberg, he will tell you the same thing, our brand has really taken off in the last decade, and that will be huge in future realignment, because this thing is not even close to being over. I think the Big 12 needs to cool its jets right now.

Nov 27, 2007
Tulsa
I'm sorry, but I would much rather watch us play Arizona, Arizona State, Utah and Colorado..and I would bet that most non-OSU fans who are TV surfing would be more inclined to as well over KSU v. Memphis, OSU v. UCF, Iowa State v. Houston, Kansas v. Boise State. It is about branding, and those PAC 12 schools have much bigger and better branding, that is what will bring in the dollars and streaming/TV viewers in the years to come. Ask Chad Weiberg, he will tell you the same thing, our brand has really taken off in the last decade, and that will be huge in future realignment, because this thing is not even close to being over. I think the Big 12 needs to cool its jets right now.
There is no indication that there is any chance that the PAC-12 will blow up. Our only hope to secure those programs is with a collapse of the PAC-12 which I feel to be highly unlikely at this point in time. Even if it did, we could still grab 4 to expand to 16 as that’s where the other conferences would be.

Jun 29, 2004
La Jolla, California
There is no indication that there is any chance that the PAC-12 will blow up. Our only hope to secure those programs is with a collapse of the PAC-12 which I feel to be highly unlikely at this point in time. Even if it did, we could still grab 4 to expand to 16 as that’s where the other conferences would be.
If we add Boise and Memphis we will be at 14, so I just feel like the Big 12 needs to wait until the PAC 12 renegotiates its GOR, as the rumor is if it is not a huge improvement over what it is currently, USC and Oregon at the minimum might bolt for the Big 10.

CocoCincinnati

Federal Marshal
Feb 7, 2007
Tulsa, OK
I just don't understand this rush to expand beyond 12. Unless you can get a team that can increase the per school amount from the tv deal, what's the point? Twelve teams is the magic number....two divisions, play 8 conference games, see every team in the other division at least twice every 4 years.

Also I have not seen any indication whatsoever that the PAC is suddenly going to get less money than the Big 12 so why on earth would any of those teams make that switch?

Nov 27, 2007
Tulsa
If we add Boise and Memphis we will be at 14, so I just feel like the Big 12 needs to wait until the PAC 12 renegotiates its GOR, as the rumor is if it is not a huge improvement over what it is currently, USC and Oregon at the minimum might bolt for the Big 10.
Has there been any talk about that other than message boards or blogs? I haven’t seen anything since the announcement of the 4 schools.

I would agree 100% with your opinion. I don’t think we should go after them even if the PAC stays in tact. I just hadn’t heard that we’re considering adding those two schools.

Birry

Federal Marshal
Feb 6, 2007
Landlocked
I just don't understand this rush to expand beyond 12. Unless you can get a team that can increase the per school amount from the tv deal, what's the point? Twelve teams is the magic number....two divisions, play 8 conference games, see every team in the other division at least twice every 4 years.

Also I have not seen any indication whatsoever that the PAC is suddenly going to get less money than the Big 12 so why on earth would any of those teams make that switch?
Here are some reasons I could see the Big 12 adding new teams like Cincy, BYU, etc...
Strength in numbers
New TV markets / recruiting territory
Perhaps negotiated terms with new teams that are mutually beneficial to them and the conference, somehow?
An 8-team league is a joke
Other very complex or behind the scenes political reasons?

Dec 2, 2008
SC
I think the Big 12 should hold off on adding anymore unless they are actively seeking “big time players” that would add something to the conference besides just another team. It would be nice to get a couple of big programs going into the GOR negotiations.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
We do all know that the conference has already extended offers that were accepted by BYU, Houston, Cinci, and UCF, correct? Those four join the conference as soon as 2023 or 2024. That's kind of a done deal as I understand it and all of them are big time excited about it. This discussion is now if only those four will be added or if we will go fishing for even more than the 12 who are already in the fold. Now IF any two of Nebraska, Colorado, Missouri, or Arkansas want to join/re-join, I think that would be looked at for sure.

Nov 6, 2010

I think that is based on the assumption that the big name schools in the PAC bolt for the B1G.

OSUCowboy787

Territorial Marshal
Dec 31, 2008
Keller, Texas
I think that is based on the assumption that the big name schools in the PAC bolt for the B1G.
I think we may have an easier time poaching power 5 teams than when we had Texas and OU. Texas was an anchor around the Big 12's neck with their attitudes and demands. Also now that they are both leaving and it appears we will be continuing as a power 5, we can sell the possibility of championships amongst a more evenly competitive top to bottom league versus being 2nd place at best of a league that Bama or Oregon or Clemson will most likely win every year.

Jul 5, 2020
Broken Arrow
We do all know that the conference has already extended offers that were accepted by BYU, Houston, Cinci, and UCF, correct? Those four join the conference as soon as 2023 or 2024. That's kind of a done deal as I understand it and all of them are big time excited about it. This discussion is now if only those four will be added or if we will go fishing for even more than the 12 who are already in the fold. Now IF any two of Nebraska, Colorado, Missouri, or Arkansas want to join/re-join, I think that would be looked at for sure.
With baseball and basketball included, Arkansas would be a great addition. I just don't know how satisfied they are being in the SEC.

Dec 2, 2008
SC
I think we may have an easier time poaching power 5 teams than when we had Texas and OU. Texas was an anchor around the Big 12's neck with their attitudes and demands. Also now that they are both leaving and it appears we will be continuing as a power 5, we can sell the possibility of championships amongst a more evenly competitive top to bottom league versus being 2nd place at best of a league that Bama or Oregon or Clemson will most likely win every year.
Are schools really that concerned with league championships anymore? It seems like it’s more about the money a conference can provide at this point.

Nov 27, 2007
Tulsa
I agree unless you have a situation like we did in the past with the Big 12 South with one side being completely loaded and 1 or 2 good teams in the north. Ex back in the day we could be competing for the south and have KSU and Nebraska on the schedule while the Goons had KU and ISU.

I do like a pod system of 16 teams as well with 9 conference games. You play everyone in your pod and 2 teams from each other pod. You still have the potential for imbalance but it’s slightly mitigated. Top 2 move on to CCG.
I like the idea of the two top teams playing for the conference championship better than the winner of each division, because it will help prevent situations like 2011 where Alabama was the second best team in the conference got to sit out of the championship game and still get to advance into now what is the college football playoffs.

CocoCincinnati

Federal Marshal
Feb 7, 2007
Tulsa, OK
I agree unless you have a situation like we did in the past with the Big 12 South with one side being completely loaded and 1 or 2 good teams in the north. Ex back in the day we could be competing for the south and have KSU and Nebraska on the schedule while the Goons had KU and ISU.

I do like a pod system of 16 teams as well with 9 conference games. You play everyone in your pod and 2 teams from each other pod. You still have the potential for imbalance but it’s slightly mitigated. Top 2 move on to CCG.
I like the idea of the two top teams playing for the conference championship better than the winner of each division, because it will help prevent situations like 2011 where Alabama was the second best team in the conference got to sit out of the championship game and still get to advance into now what is the college football playoffs.
I agree that the pod system is intriguing but that system could potentially exacerbate the issues we had in the old big 12. 2 of the 4 pod "champs" will get left out of the championship game every year due to nothing else but tie breakers, even if they played a much tougher conference schedule than the two teams that make it.

I imagine the first time a one loss OSU got left out, I'd have a conniption fit. I'll take my chances with two 6 team divisions.

osupsycho

MAXIMUM EFFORT!!!
A/V Subscriber
Apr 20, 2005
Valhalla
Actually there is some indication as there are reports out there that USC and UCLA both refused to sign a new grant of rights last summer. So just like OU and UT did and we know what that led too. The belief is that at least USC is being courted by the Big 10. Also their TV contract expires a year before ours does so whatever happens with them will happen before we are forced to make a move.

Jul 27, 2011
Bixby
Quick update on how the new additions are faring thus far:

#5 Cincinnati - 4-0, wins over then #9 Notre Dame and Indiana.

#10 BYU - 5-0, wins over then # 21 Utah and current #22 Arizona St.

Houston - 4-1, crushed Tulsa but no notable wins, really. Only loss to Texas Tech.

UCF - 2-2. No notable wins. Bad loss to Navy but without their starting QB.

Cincy has one of the better shots a G5 has had to make the playoff. That would be a huge win for the new Big 12.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk