Big 12 Realignment thread, 2021 version

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

What conference would you like to see OSU join?

• ACC

• Big Ten

• PAC-12

• Expanded Big 12

• Other (please explain)

Results are only viewable after voting.
Dec 26, 2011
Stillwater
Dont think that would happen now. I watched them give the Horns a woodshed whipping and their Defense is impressive. They are fast, hit hard and swarm to the ball. Given our O-line play, they would eat SS for lunch.

Also noticed several kids from Tulsa that played. Why are they playing in Fayetteville instead of Stillwater?
Their best offesnive lineman is from Union along with the freshman runningback that scored a TD. Pathetic that OSU gets 3rd dibs in Tulsa.

Dec 16, 2019
Tulsa
Their best offesnive lineman is from Union along with the freshman runningback that scored a TD. Pathetic that OSU gets 3rd dibs in Tulsa.
Ya Tulsa should be a place where the Pokes have their pick of the litter :thumbup: If I remember correctly we were wanting AJ Green to play DB and he wanted to be a RB and Arkansas was willing to give him that chance.

O-St8

Orange is power.
A/V Subscriber
Jan 13, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
I don’t get the attraction to Memphis. B-ball is good, football is really mediocre, and they’re in a small market. Although Houston is not exactly a football powerhouse, they’re in a huge market and fertile recruiting ground. The potential and resources are there for a resurgence.
While I do tend to agree with you about not feeling great about memphis coming on board, of what is left out there they have the best TV numbers and they have a HUGE potential financial backer in FedEx CEO Fred Smith. In fact, back in 2016, Smith hinted that FedEx would be interested in becoming a primary sponsor for the Big12 if they invited them.

Nov 6, 2010
Ya Tulsa should be a place where the Pokes have their pick of the litter :thumbup: If I remember correctly we were wanting AJ Green to play DB and he wanted to be a RB and Arkansas was willing to give him that chance.
Meh, Fayetteville is about the same distance as Stillwater, and SEC blah blah. The same way we can pull kids from Dallas, they're going to get some kids from Tulsa. This shouldn't be a big surprise to anyone nor looked at as a recruiting miss.

Apr 16, 2008
No one gives a s**t about SMU or what the topic of conversation was around the water cooler in specific Dallas suburbs, sorry bud.
I agree. I live in the Park Cities and never hear anything about SMU athletics. A variety of college football team flags and signs all around. Most Big12 and SEC schools are represented. Not SMU though. From an academic standpoint, we recruit from there and their grads are well represented in professional careers in Dallas. But, as to athletics, if I hear anything it is always about tailgating being more important than the game.

VaPoke

Greenhorn
Oct 14, 2013
Washington DC
No one gives a s**t about SMU or what the topic of conversation was around the water cooler in specific Dallas suburbs, sorry bud.
I will add that during those years when SMU was good, the SWC was generally pretty weak. In 1982, when SMU went 11-0, they only played three teams with winning records. This includes the bowl win against Pitt.
There are plenty of schools out there that have wealthy alumni and don't do squat on the football field.

Aug 7, 2006
Big 12 executives are also watching closely as the Pac-12 negotiates a new TV deal in 2024 when its current agreement with Fox and ESPN expires. If the Pac-12 media rights revenue approximates that of the Big 12 at that time, there is a feeling within the Big 12 some Pac-12 schools might be interested in joining.

An interesting perspective...Taking the schools they did destabilized the AAC to the point that I don't think it really makes sense for any MW schools to join. I think the quote above is why the conference will be a little more diligent when/if they add more schools. The MW schools and any other AAC schools will always be there, but if the Arizona schools or Utah don't care for the new media deal and want to play games earlier in the day... maybe they look at the Big 12. Seems smart to at least leave that option available before you add Memphis or Boise.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-f...ndful-of-expansion-candidates-in-realignment/

CocoCincinnati

Federal Marshal
Feb 7, 2007
Tulsa, OK
If the new pac 12 deal is low enough that we are able to poach teams from them, that will mean they probably won't bring enough value to the big 12 to be worth it, UNLESS it gets us a blue blood and/or a recruiting footprint in California.

OSUCowboy787

Territorial Marshal
Dec 31, 2008
Keller, Texas
If the new pac 12 deal is low enough that we are able to poach teams from them, that will mean they probably won't bring enough value to the big 12 to be worth it, UNLESS it gets us a blue blood and/or a recruiting footprint in California.
I'm not sure about that. I think the value is in the strength of the whole league. If you average eyeballs of OSU vs ASU or Utah its a lot better than having OU play Vanderbilt or Kentucky. We could have comparable viewership if everyone in the league is strong and there are no 'bad games'. So we need Kansas to get better.

Aug 7, 2006
I mean, they're going to bring more value than any of the other schools available to the Big 12 if we decide to go to 14 or 16... If their new contract comes out to be close to what the Big 12 is making, it would make sense that adding them would add value to our media rights. You're adding large schools and are making sure you have more time slots available for the networks by adding more games in the pacific time zone. It would be interesting to see what some of them could do monetizing their 3rd tier rights in the Big 12, which they can't do in the PAC 12 because of the PAC 12 Network.

OSUCowboy787

Territorial Marshal
Dec 31, 2008
Keller, Texas
https://youtu.be/P8iU-0MMpPE

Bowlsby wants all of it up front. Not gonna let it go. Good for him!
I'm on board with the 70% additional early exit fee. There is precedent there for the other schools we are getting. Like the guy said, you like to say you're Texas and can beat people with your wallet. Ok so do it. Money whip the hateful 8 to leave this conference early to go play and lose in the SEC the same way you do here.

Oct 29, 2016
US
I'm on board with the 70% additional early exit fee. There is precedent there for the other schools we are getting. Like the guy said, you like to say you're Texas and can beat people with your wallet. Ok so do it. Money whip the hateful 8 to leave this conference early to go play and lose in the SEC the same way you do here.
To be fair, both OU and Texas have proclaimed that it's about the money, nothing else. In other words, it doesn't matter how many losses, nor the loss of perpetual Big 12 championship titles. It's all about the money and that's that. They basically acknowledged such.

Oct 22, 2008
Austin, Tx
I would like the PAC powers: USC, Oregon, UCLA, Washington but if not Utah, Colorado, Arizona and Arizona State would all make sense
I've been saying this for weeks (the 2nd half), but today was the first day I thought, "why don't we raid the PAC for their top teams?" I expect the BIG to take the top 4 from the PAC some time in the future, but maybe we can beat them to the punch. That's going to require the BIG to drag their feet and not do anything, and I'm not sure if that's realistic. I still think Utah, Colorado, and the Arizona schools are most likely.