Big 12 Realignment thread, 2021 version

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

What conference would you like to see OSU join?

• ACC

• Big Ten

• PAC-12

• Expanded Big 12

• Other (please explain)

Results are only viewable after voting.
Mar 8, 2010
I have never considered how many MNC teams had when considering which games I am going to watch, and I don't think the vast majority of other people do either.
MNC’s speak to the value of the brand. It’s no accident that the value Clemson’s brand went up after its recent success in CFP. The so-called experts are telling us it’s all about how valuable our brand is. You get to be a blue blood like Texas and uo by winning or playing for MNC’s.

Sep 6, 2014
Best case scenario we have left, ASU and Zona along with maybe Utah and Colorado opt out of PAC12 after their contracts expire to come to the newly shaped Big12. ASU and Zona area an immediate rivalry, Utah could partner with BYU, and Colorado and Kansas or Kstate could be a big game maybe? Getting to 16 and adding those teams would be a huge win if we could somehow pull those schools. Then the PAC12 becomes the struggle bus conference.
If that's "best case scenario" we are in big trouble. Those are 4 irrelevant schools that nobody cares about. If we're talking about the PAC, best case, which is highly highly unlikely, would be taking their 4 best programs: USC, UCLA, Oregon and Washington.

wrenhal

Federal Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
Best case scenario we have left, ASU and Zona along with maybe Utah and Colorado opt out of PAC12 after their contracts expire to come to the newly shaped Big12. ASU and Zona area an immediate rivalry, Utah could partner with BYU, and Colorado and Kansas or Kstate could be a big game maybe? Getting to 16 and adding those teams would be a huge win if we could somehow pull those schools. Then the PAC12 becomes the struggle bus conference.
If that's "best case scenario" we are in big trouble. Those are 4 irrelevant schools that nobody cares about. If we're talking about the PAC, best case, which is highly highly unlikely, would be taking their 4 best programs: USC, UCLA, Oregon and Washington.
I don't think that's best case. I say we stay away from that last time zone if possible. Crossing 3 is enough.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Feb 15, 2017
Texas
https://twitter.com/max_olson/status/1436071237659381765?s=21
So the whole "Big12 left out of the Alliance" was the set up by Bowlsby to keep the Little 8 off the table while he added the 4 new schools. If the new Big12 receives the financial backing it needs to compete, then this was a great move. Get the $$ from 0u/uT, keep in Tx recruiting/games, easy travel schedule, keep P5 status, etc.

Although, I'm still not convinced that cutting ties and heading to PAC wouldn't have been better for OSU on it's own behalf.

snuffy

Calf fries are the original sack lunch.
Staff
A/V Subscriber
Feb 28, 2007
Oklahoma
So the whole "Big12 left out of the Alliance" was the set up by Bowlsby to keep the Little 8 off the table while he added the 4 new schools. If the new Big12 receives the financial backing it needs to compete, then this was a great move. Get the $$ from 0u/uT, keep in Tx recruiting/games, easy travel schedule, keep P5 status, etc.

Although, I'm still not convinced that cutting ties and heading to PAC wouldn't have been better for OSU on it's own behalf.
I think you are giving Bowlsby way to much credit.

wrenhal

Federal Marshal
Aug 11, 2011

I think you are giving Bowlsby way to much credit.
You know, holding the cards against ou and Texas(exit fees) instead of having to let them tell you what to do? Maybe, just maybe, Bowlsby is finally able to do his job and be effective at it.

Jul 9, 2011
Carlos, TX
MNC’s speak to the value of the brand. It’s no accident that the value Clemson’s brand went up after its recent success in CFP. The so-called experts are telling us it’s all about how valuable our brand is. You get to be a blue blood like Texas and uo by winning or playing for MNC’s.
This is just a quick sampling, there are more examples.

None of these schools are considered blue bloods:
Princeton claims 14 football MNC's, last in 1922
Yale 17 last in 1927
Minnesota 6 1960
Pitt 5 1976

Some who are:
Georgia 1 1980
Florida 2 2006
A&M 2 1939
Texas 3 2005
Clemson 3 2018

Looks like simply the number of MNC's won is not a factor, but more when they were won (Clemson has been in the last few years). And in some cases, like Georgia, Texas and A&M it's that they are large schools in football rabid states even though they have very few MNC's and none recently. ESPN and the others really only care about how many viewers you attract. Period.

Mar 27, 2020
Tulsa
The only way this new conference will help OSU is if we dominate it. We have a chance to build the brand name and hopefully be attractive when future realignment takes place. We have to go on an OU like run and own this thing. I personally think dropping bedlam is also good for the Pokes now because losing anually to OU just shows we still aren't ready for prime-time. Gundy needs to take this opportunity and run with it. Better recruiting, better in game coaching, stop the gimmicky backwoods schtick and become a respected coach. Some of you find his act amusing and charming. We have no way of knowing how much damage it may be doing in recruiting. This is the time for OSU to grow up because if we can't do it with this collection of misfits then we never will.

Sep 6, 2014
I don't think that's best case. I say we stay away from that last time zone if possible. Crossing 3 is enough.

Time zone doesn't mean anything anymore at this point, we already go from central Florida to Utah. Now it's just a matter of getting the absolute best teams we can, regardless of time zone

Mar 8, 2010
We really should have invited SMU instead of Houston. With all their money and track record on how to use it, they could quickly become the next blue blood. How many of you are old enough to remember Eric Dickerson and the “pony express?” They were a national powerhouse in the old SWC but got caught cheating and given the death penalty by the NCAA. Now all that money can come back to recruit a CFP team. Our conference missed the boat by not adding them.

okstate987

Territorial Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Oct 17, 2009
Somewhere
This is just a quick sampling, there are more examples.

None of these schools are considered blue bloods:
Princeton claims 14 football MNC's, last in 1922
Yale 17 last in 1927
Minnesota 6 1960
Pitt 5 1976

Some who are:
Georgia 1 1980
Florida 2 2006
A&M 2 1939
Texas 3 2005
Clemson 3 2018

Looks like simply the number of MNC's won is not a factor, but more when they were won (Clemson has been in the last few years). And in some cases, like Georgia, Texas and A&M it's that they are large schools in football rabid states even though they have very few MNC's and none recently. ESPN and the others really only care about how many viewers you attract. Period.
Who on earth considers A&M a blue blood? Their own fans?

CocoCincinnati

Federal Marshal
Feb 7, 2007
Tulsa, OK
the whole "Big12 left out of the Alliance" was the set up by Bowlsby to keep the Little 8 off the table while he added the 4 new schools.
If this were actually true, it would only make me want to get OSU out of this conference even more. Hopefully our leadership would be on top of this and let the other conferences know that Bob doesn't speak for us.