Big 12 Realignment thread, 2021 version

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

What conference would you like to see OSU join?

• ACC

• Big Ten

• PAC-12

• Expanded Big 12

• Other (please explain)

Results are only viewable after voting.
Dec 19, 2012
There's exactly a zero point zero chance of the B12 leftovers recruiting a B10/Pac-12 team.
I wouldn't say "0". There's a pretty solid chance aTm is so afraid of Texas they would run back to the Big XII, ROFL. Honestly, lots of Nebraska/Mizzou/Colorado fans would like to come back, and the big reason they left was Texas. It's definitely not Zero, but it is a LONG shot.

Sep 6, 2012
Edmond
I wouldn't say "0". There's a pretty solid chance aTm is so afraid of Texas they would run back to the Big XII, ROFL. Honestly, lots of Nebraska/Mizzou/Colorado fans would like to come back, and the big reason they left was Texas. It's definitely not Zero, but it is a LONG shot.
A&M will not be giving up the dollar bills though.

wrenhal

Federal Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
It's hard to imagine what a future without traditional college football would look like. It's not something that appeals to me. When was the last time you watched a minor league baseball game??

Don't discount the massive influence ESPN has on all of these re-alignment decisions. They're just trying to create more marketable matchups to drive tv revenue each week. Texas vs. Florida is bound to attract higher viewership than Texas vs. Texas Tech, at least from football purists.

Not sure what the net long-term effect of destroying conference loyalties will be though. Feels like they're on a path that will ultimately kill college football as we know it today and replace it completely with some sort of made-for-tv product. Count me out.
They are basically ok to alienate any school deemed as a smaller market and only have schools that are in a major metro area represented. Forcing the rest of us to find a new school to root for or stop watching. They are gambling that those of us who love college football may find a 2nd team to root for in these monster conferences.
Which is, of course, asinine. Why anyone would root for a college team they were not directly affiliated with is bizarre to me.
OU fans do it all the time...

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
Not something I aspire to be like.
Technically, other than friends and living in Stillwater, I had no ties to OSU until my son attended and graduated recently.

Jonkr06

Territorial Marshal
Aug 18, 2007
Katy, TX
It's hard to imagine what a future without traditional college football would look like. It's not something that appeals to me. When was the last time you watched a minor league baseball game??

Don't discount the massive influence ESPN has on all of these re-alignment decisions. They're just trying to create more marketable matchups to drive tv revenue each week. Texas vs. Florida is bound to attract higher viewership than Texas vs. Texas Tech, at least from football purists.

Not sure what the net long-term effect of destroying conference loyalties will be though. Feels like they're on a path that will ultimately kill college football as we know it today and replace it completely with some sort of made-for-tv product. Count me out.
They are basically ok to alienate any school deemed as a smaller market and only have schools that are in a major metro area represented. Forcing the rest of us to find a new school to root for or stop watching. They are gambling that those of us who love college football may find a 2nd team to root for in these monster conferences.
Which is, of course, asinine. Why anyone would root for a college team they were not directly affiliated with is bizarre to me.
OU fans do it all the time...

Not something I aspire to be like.
Technically, other than friends and living in Stillwater, I had no ties to OSU until my son attended and graduated recently.

Living in Stillwater and having a son attend sounds like plenty of ties to me. I can't see why I'd ever start rooting for the Buckeyes for example.

wrenhal

Federal Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
https://twitter.com/The_StatsGuru/status/1418243142491443201?s=19

Jul 9, 2011
Carlos, TX
I believe the SEC basically takes it's tv tier 1 and tier 2 money and splits it evenly between the teams. If that's true, then the current pot of money is split 14 ways. Bring in two more teams and the pot is now split 16 ways, which means total SEC tv revenue would have to increase by a little more than 14% for the existing teams to break even after the expansion. And actually you'd like to seem some $ benefit to all conference teams by bringing in two new teams, so really you'd want to expect something like a 20% or more increase in total SEC tv revenue.

I know it's OU and Texas and both have big followings, but I don't think even they will generate that much incremental total tv revenue to the SEC.

Feb 15, 2017
Texas
I believe the SEC basically takes it's tv tier 1 and tier 2 money and splits it evenly between the teams. If that's true, then the current pot of money is split 14 ways. Bring in two more teams and the pot is now split 16 ways, which means total SEC tv revenue would have to increase by a little more than 14% for the existing teams to break even after the expansion. And actually you'd like to seem some $ benefit to all conference teams by bringing in two new teams, so really you'd want to expect something like a 20% or more increase in total SEC tv revenue.

I know it's OU and Texas and both have big followings, but I don't think even they will generate that much incremental total tv revenue to the SEC.
This is the exact logic why Big12 didn’t expand a few years ago

Jan 15, 2007
Been in my cave a long time.

If the SEC won't take OSU even under certain provisions then OSU and the remaining conference schools need to quickly mount a social media campaign to nix that deal.

Granted that this strategy may be have limited appeal but you should not underestimate the the power of a crowd. The vast majority of people have no power but there's some people in the crowd with immense power.
This may be your best and last hope.

I'm going back into my cave.

Jan 14, 2007
Yukon, OK

The new additions won' get a full share for a few years. It should, in theory, give the TV deals time to catch up.

Feb 15, 2017
Texas
Inside story seems to be 0u and uT were about to get SEC ADs to secret vote on membership. The “surprise vote” would not leave A&M time to mount opposition. But a uT Regent wasn’t on board so he leaked the news to Chronicle to try to warn A&M and kill the deal

Sep 29, 2010
Stillwater
I've been simmering on this and it just makes me mad. I've hated college football for a while now. Only college football games I'll watch is if OSU is playing. To me, the best thing that could happen is if all the 'non blue blood' school just boycotted this league and formed a new one. let the 15 or so bluebloods who run everything go play with themselves. The other schools can form a new league that actually values competition and rewarding teams for their on field play rather than how much money they bring in. I'd watch that league over the other any day of the week. Think of FCS but with better programs. The OSU's, Baylors, Houston, Arizona, Utah, Boise State, etc. all these state schools that run good programs but aren't "blue bloods"

It's so frustrating to see teams who deserve a seat at the table being pushed aside simply because they aren't cash cows.

I guess the other option is for fans of non blueblood schools to boycott everything to do with ncaa football. otherwise they will just continue to push the deserving smaller school to the side

Anyway, done ranting. All this just pushes me more and more toward professional sports.