Big 12 Realignment thread, 2021 version

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

What conference would you like to see OSU join?

• ACC

• Big Ten

• PAC-12

• Expanded Big 12

• Other (please explain)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Herecomesbullets

Territorial Marshal
Nov 14, 2010
Is it a delay tactic? Use alliance for now and take in $ from UT and UT-Norman exit fees in the interim, and then formally merge as GOR expires?
100% correct

Why merge and not get their money when you can accomplish the same thing and call it a scheduling alliance and get their money.

Then...when GOR expires, you have viewership data to bargain the the next Media contract with, which would be based on a merger, then you take it to Nebraska and show them how lucrative and powerful that merger and resulting Conference would be with them in it.

Plus...OSUBis in a position of advamtage...
1) we are the most attractive team left in the Big 12 so we would get good matchups with Pac teams
2) We don't have to replace both OU and Texas.
We just have to replace Texas. Unlike the rest of the Big 12 teams, we can still play OU if we want, then dictate, to the best we can, what type of matchups we'd prefer with Pac teams to balance our schedlue

Last edited:

SLVRBK

Johnny 8ball's PR Manager
Staff
A/V Subscriber
Oct 16, 2003
Katy, TX
When would the alliance be scheduled to begin? Most OOC schedules are full for the next 4-5 years. Does it only kick in if the other 2 leave?

Aug 16, 2012
When would the alliance be scheduled to begin? Most OOC schedules are full for the next 4-5 years. Does it only kick in if the other 2 leave?
When. The other two are gone and you can bet the house this is their last year in the B12. That leaves two open dates, during the period normally used for conference play and it is much easier to juggle conference slates. If not mistaken, B12 does not even issue the full conference schedule until the prior spring so it should be pretty simple to work in two B12 teams if the case with the P12 as well.

Aug 16, 2008
Oklahoma City
100% correct

Why merge and not get their money when you can accomplish the same thing and call it a scheduling alliance and get their money.

Then...when GOR expires, you have viewership data to bargain the the next Media contract with, which would be based on a merger, then you take it to Nebraska and show them how lucrative and powerful that merger and resulting Conference would be with them in it.

Plus...OSUBis in a position of advamtage...
1) we are the most attractive team left in the Big 12 so we would get good matchups with Pac teams
2) We don't have to replace both OU and Texas.
We just have to replace Texas. Unlike the rest of the Big 12 teams, we can still play OU if we want, then dictate, to the best we can, what type of matchups we'd prefer with Pac teams to balance our schedlue
I like your thinking in above’s post. Strategic and plausible.

Aug 16, 2008
Oklahoma City
KU is literally a one-sport school. Would any major conference make a re-alignment decision just to get a bump in basketball?? If anything, you'd lose football revenue by bringing them in. We don't even want to watch their games in the Big 12 now. Can't imagine anyone in Michigan or Ohio is going to get excited about watching Jayhawk football.
To prove your point - consider these statistics:

School. Avg TV Viewers. Avg TV Viewers MINUS OU/TX game
OSU. 2,113,000. 1,553,857
Kansas. 532,500. 569,833
T.Tech. 1,229,429. 981,000
K-State. 1,309,875. 1,181,286

Theother 4 schools also showed similar declines in viewership when excluding the OU & Texas Games. Only Kansas is an outlier.

Bottom line: EVERY and I mean EVERY school had a significant uptick in their viewership when they played OU/TEXAS. EXCEPT KANSAS

Which means this: people are purposely NOT WATCHING KU when they’re playing Texas or OU simply because they don;t expect to see a real entertaining game. So they tune-out.

That’s BAD NEWS for Kansas marketing their athletic program to anyone right now.

CocoCincinnati

Federal Marshal
Feb 7, 2007
Tulsa, OK
When. The other two are gone and you can bet the house this is their last year in the B12. That leaves two open dates, during the period normally used for conference play and it is much easier to juggle conference slates. If not mistaken, B12 does not even issue the full conference schedule until the prior spring so it should be pretty simple to work in two B12 teams if the case with the P12 as well.
Once ou and ut have paid their exit fees what reason is there to hold the conference together. Once we have their money, join the PAC at that point, unless they want to wait of course, in which case we should keep shopping around.

OSU125

Wrangler
Sep 2, 2014
Once ou and ut have paid their exit fees what reason is there to hold the conference together. Once we have their money, join the PAC at that point, unless they want to wait of course, in which case we should keep shopping around.
I may be wrong, but I would think that if the GOR dissolves because the conference folds than ou and texas would get some percentage of their exit fees back. Maybe not, but there could and likely would be an argument made (probably in court).

Jun 16, 2008
Maryland
B12 teams would have openings due to fewer conf games. But what about P12 teams, where do their openings in the schedule come from? Do they take a game less in conference to play a B12 team?

CocoCincinnati

Federal Marshal
Feb 7, 2007
Tulsa, OK
I may be wrong, but I would think that if the GOR dissolves because the conference folds than ou and texas would get some percentage of their exit fees back. Maybe not, but there could and likely would be an argument made (probably in court).
If the remaining 8 change the rules after those 2 leave, I don't see how they would have a leg to stand on, nobody is forcing them to leave early and pay the penalty for it.

OSU125

Wrangler
Sep 2, 2014
If the remaining 8 change the rules after those 2 leave, I don't see how they would have a leg to stand on, nobody is forcing them to leave early and pay the penalty for it.
You maybe right, but I don't see it being just that smooth. It's way too much money for their not to be a fight.

Aug 16, 2012
B12 teams would have openings due to fewer conf games. But what about P12 teams, where do their openings in the schedule come from? Do they take a game less in conference to play a B12 team?
I am not a scheduler, but they already do not play everyone in their conference (only nine conference games and 4 OOC) so they could play 1-2 B12 teams each year on a rotating basis at the expense of either an OOC (easy to get out of) or modify the schedule format to play only eight conference (SEC only plays eight conference games/year), 2 B12 teams and still keep their 3 OOC. Same with the B12...some years you might play 2 P12 games and some years only 1. At 12 and 8 teams, the math is there, but unbalanced. Might need to get creative, but it is possible.

Aug 16, 2012
Money is not an issue. ESPN is purportedly footing the bill and bean counters there have already determined they will make more money long term even if they eat the exit fees. Their ROI cannot be more than 2-4 years, tops and they will have absorbed all costs associated with the exit fees.

Nov 20, 2007
I’ve known him since the late 80’s when I was working on the Mizzou beat for Channel 4 and he became the athletic director at Missouri. I covered them, I traveled with the team. Nobody in sports was ever nicer to me than Joe Castiglione. He was the nicest man ever. He’s got friends everywhere in college athletics. He’s one of the most respected guys in the country. Every other AD in the league loves Joe Castiglione. Now they hate him. He lied to them for a year. He sat at every table keeping in his mind that he was orchestrating a way for his team to be out, lying to them, hearing all the information about what’s going on the Big 12, likely sharing that information with ESPN and the SEC. And he turned around and stabbed them in the back. That’s not the Joe Castiglione I know. I think the biggest story here is the people in this league that are just shocked at the people that they liked, trusted and thought were there friends snuck around and did this.”

Nov 6, 2010
Man, I see what you're saying but I'm just not convinced this is true. I can see it being in all parties interest to let this play out for at least another year or two. It will be awkward sure, but I'm not convinced that the power players might not like to let things play out in order for all the other dominos to fall into place before signing new contracts. ESPN doesn't want a bad contract any more than texas, ou, or whoever else does.

Sep 12, 2013
Broken Arrow, OK
The exit fees are separate from the GOR. If they stay till the GOR expires, they will still owe exit fees.

ScooberJake

Territorial Marshal
Jul 13, 2004
Denver, CO
I am not a scheduler, but they already do not play everyone in their conference (only nine conference games and 4 OOC) so they could play 1-2 B12 teams each year on a rotating basis at the expense of either an OOC (easy to get out of) or modify the schedule format to play only eight conference (SEC only plays eight conference games/year), 2 B12 teams and still keep their 3 OOC. Same with the B12...some years you might play 2 P12 games and some years only 1. At 12 and 8 teams, the math is there, but unbalanced. Might need to get creative, but it is possible.
You may have already read this, but it's essentially what you suggested. Sounds pretty good, actually. Convince all teams to drop a cupcake from their non-con and you are good to go. As you said, the numbers actually work out quite well. Gives the Pac12 earlier games, stronger SoS. Softens the hit to Big12 SoS. Get Fox involved, everyone makes a pile of money. Doesn't provide long-term stability, but it's something.

Why a Big 12-Pac-12 Scheduling Alliance, Not Merger, Would Also Work

Nov 8, 2013
You may have already read this, but it's essentially what you suggested. Sounds pretty good, actually. Convince all teams to drop a cupcake from their non-con and you are good to go. As you said, the numbers actually work out quite well. Gives the Pac12 earlier games, stronger SoS. Softens the hit to Big12 SoS. Get Fox involved, everyone makes a pile of money. Doesn't provide long-term stability, but it's something.

Why a Big 12-Pac-12 Scheduling Alliance, Not Merger, Would Also Work
We already have ASU on our schedule in a couple of years. All I know is we better not drop that scheduled game in Tempe. I have been looking forward to that one for a while! Would hate to have our "Pac 12" game move to Utah or somewhere else.

Nov 27, 2007
Tulsa
We already have ASU on our schedule in a couple of years. All I know is we better not drop that scheduled game in Tempe. I have been looking forward to that one for a while! Would hate to have our "Pac 12" game move to Utah or somewhere else.
Can we please schedule it for November though. I want to go but I don’t want my shoes to melt in the parking lot on the way in.

Jul 9, 2011
Carlos, TX
That solves our short-term scheduling problem (assuming OU/Texit happens sooner) but what does PAC get out of it? Is playing TCU or T-Tech going to give them any appreciable TV revenue bump over some other OOC team they might otherwise play?? Seems marginal at best.
Yes they would get quite a bump.

First, OSU tv viewership net of Bedlam would put it in the upper half of the PAC 12. Second, this would be viewers from Texas, Oklahoma, Arkansas, Kansas, etc that they are not getting now - incremental tv sets. Home games in Stillwater would give them the ability to fill tv early start times (11 am central) with PAC 12 teams playing OSU or TTech; they would get a chance to generate some at least casual interest even from the East Cost, but for sure the middle of the country - something they cannot do now. For sure it opens up two thirds of the US to PAC exposure which they don't get now.

You mentioned TCU - I don't think TCU or Baylor will be going. Odds are it would be just OSU and TTech going to the PAC. I think Kansas will take it's AAU membership and basketball history to the Big along with Iowa State. I think WVU goes to the ACC, and I think K State, Baylor and TCU go to the Mountain West or AAC.

Oregon State, UCLA, Arizona State at Stillwater would be a some interesting matchups and I think would draw a lot of live fans at the stadium as well as tv viewers.

Last edited: