Big 12 Realignment thread, 2021 version

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

What conference would you like to see OSU join?

• ACC

• Big Ten

• PAC-12

• Expanded Big 12

• Other (please explain)

Results are only viewable after voting.

OSU125

Wrangler
Sep 2, 2014
I could see the PAC and B12 entering into a short-term (5 yrs) scheduling alliance beginning next year (potentially excluding OU and UT). This would add TV value to both leagues, give the PAC some noon Eastern kick-offs, and serve as a dating period before expansion which could then occur after our TV deal runs out. Thoughts?
The scheduling agreements are great for all things not football. I think it would be pretty hard for the B1G and/or PAC schools to agree to anything significant given that pretty much all the schools have contracts in place for games through the next several years....certainly through the end of the TV Contracts. The money to cancel all of those could be significant. But I think moving forward it would be great to get an invite into one of those two conferences AND they form a scheduling alliance as the schedules start to open up.

Nov 8, 2013
If we must have two super-conferences, then I agree that setup is a good one for college athletics. But my guess is those teams will not all make it in. If this is really driven purely by money, which it seems to be, I think there are a lot of teams included there who don't bring value. I see a total of 48 as more likely. Something like:

SEC + OU, UT, Clemson, Miami, FSU, VT, UVA, GT + (Pitt/OSU/TT/TCU/Memphis)
B1G + ND, Stanford, USC, UCLA, Oregon, Duke, UNC, Kansas + (Syracuse/UW/CU/BYU/ISU/WVU/BC/OSU/TT)
I can see a scenario where there is a clean break for a subset of college football programs that break away from the NCAA and the current conference structure. Admission is by both application/investment and invitation (probably by some TV/broadcast entity(ies). Would be best if there was a relegation aspect to it to drop and replace a team if appropriate. If that were to happen, even some SEC and B1G programs should not be included - Rutgers, Vanderbilt, etc. But - since those programs are already contractually aligned to conferences, that would be an ugly split. I suspect this is still way down the road.

May 4, 2011
Charleston, SC
The scheduling agreements are great for all things not football. I think it would be pretty hard for the B1G and/or PAC schools to agree to anything significant given that pretty much all the schools have contracts in place for games through the next several years....certainly through the end of the TV Contracts. The money to cancel all of those could be significant. But I think moving forward it would be great to get an invite into one of those two conferences AND they form a scheduling alliance as the schedules start to open up.
If the scheduling alliance basically functions like a joint conference then it could work. We could play 5 or 6 of the "remaining 8" and then 2 or 3 PAC teams. You then include your record against the PAC teams as part of your conference championship or something like that.

I'd rather just go to the PAC, but Bowlsby could offer something like that and it would be substantially better than just sticking with 8.

Aug 19, 2006
I'm not seeing the rationale for a "scheduling alliance" vs. a merger. Assuming Bowlsby is representing the "remaining 8"'s interests (and not his own), what's the upside to an alliance??

Under the alliance scenario, both conferences would still have separate TV contracts so are we counting on a bump in revenues because we're playing PAC opponents instead of whoever else we'd schedule out of conference?

How would it improve their revenues by playing some of the "remaining 8" teams??

I don't get it.

CowboyHoopsPride

Territorial Marshal
Feb 18, 2009
Call me crazy but I am not buying the KU to the BIG talks right now. BIG is in a perfect position to see how this shakes out. KU brings nothing to the table, why would you do that and why would other members support diluting their earnings?

CowboyHoopsPride

Territorial Marshal
Feb 18, 2009
I'm not seeing the rationale for a "scheduling alliance" vs. a merger. Assuming Bowlsby is representing the "remaining 8"'s interests (and not his own), what's the upside to an alliance??

Under the alliance scenario, both conferences would still have separate TV contracts so are we counting on a bump in revenues because we're playing PAC opponents instead of whoever else we'd schedule out of conference?

How would it improve their revenues by playing some of the "remaining 8" teams??

I don't get it.
Me neither. Someone said it earlier, Bowlsby is posturing. He’s about to be out of a job as a Power 5 commissioner. He holds zero cards.

May 31, 2007
OK & CA
Call me crazy but I am not buying the KU to the BIG talks right now. BIG is in a perfect position to see how this shakes out. KU brings nothing to the table, why would you do that and why would other members support diluting their earnings?
To me if the Big Ten is trying to respond to the SEC poaching OU/UT then nothing makes sense short of bringing in some combo of Clemson/FSU/USC/ND. Anything else is only growing your conference in numbers and in turn reducing your per rata payouts.

Midnight Toker

Territorial Marshal
May 28, 2010
No football tradition. :confused:

This millennium, USC has a the AP Championship in 2003 and won the BCS Championship in 2004. Plus 7 Heisman winners in their school history.

I don't think Oregon and USC are too far off from Texas and OU. The only reason the PAC may not be viewed as highly is because they have been missing the 4 team Championships over the last years.

You have recency bias or are just showing your personal bias.

Remember 8 of the 14 teams in the SEC are dead weight and only serve as schedule fillers.
Not the kind of tradition they have elsewhere. Not bias, I grew up in california, so i know how they feel about college football out west. It's blase. Usc is the biggest thing they have going, in a metro area of 19 million people the biggest college program on the west coast, with two championships to boast about in the last 20 years, and they still rarely if ever sell out. I'm only saying it's just different than how football is treated in other parts of the country. Look how irrelevant usc has been in the national landscape of this sport (how irrelevant the whole PAC has been).

Even some of the dead weight in the sec is steeped in tradition and history. Tennessee has lots of history and has sucked basically since Manning left and they're usually still top 10 in ticket sales and consistently recruit top 15 classes. that awesome stadium, the vol navy, smokey, rocky top. ole miss? they havent had a winning season since 2016, but they have these awesome offenses and somehow still recruit better than most of the big 12. the have the grove and are famous for their tailgating atmosphere, and oxford has a ton of history and it's quite picturesque. everyone knows hoddy toddy. Even arkansas has a pretty lively atmosphere, arduous fan support and traditions people around the country would recognize. Most non casuals would recognize mississippi state's egg bowl with mississippi and everyone has to know about their cowbells.

It feels like football is life in the south, but football is like your side chick on the west coast. As if they feel like they have better things to do. In small towns in texas and through the south, the whole town shuts down on a friday night for the local team's ball game. You'd probably see that in rural oregon maybe.

Sep 12, 2013
Broken Arrow, OK
One of your contingencies has to be replacing two conference games in the next three years. The Big XII can offer quality opponents and early game times. The PAC12 can offer quality opponents so we aren't left scheduling Alabama Polytech.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

JohnW

Greenhorn
Aug 10, 2020
Plano
Timing on all this is key and hard to predict. The 2 big guys say they are not leaving until allowed to without penalty, 2024 or 25? But this sounds like a starting negotiation position. But if either OSU or another remaining entity finds a P5 spot to land sooner than the big guys say they are , then the big 12 starts to collapse changing all Big 12 teams schedules. If some other team causes an early collaps then do they owe the league similar money to OU or not? Even if not this step seems to get OU and UT off the hook.

We need to be looking out for ourselves and lining up a place to land when ever we can but the $ implications and swings are huge.

Aug 16, 2012
Those Pac12 fans lack passion for football because they have more important things to do. Half your life taken away if working for Intel, HP, Agilent, Apple etc.

AZ, You need to post more often.
Uhhhh, my wife worked for HP, then Agilent when they spun off, then Avago when they spun off. Granted she was not on the west coast, but she had the best job in the world. Demand Planner coordinating chip (for cell phones) manufacturing fabs in Fort Collins and Malaysia. Had to be on call 24/7 because of the Malaysia thing, but worked maybe five hours a day. Want time off? Take it. She used to come home for 2-3 hour lunches every day. Her boss ran a side company during business hours where he would be gone all but a couple hours in the morning and a coworker golfed every day at noon. At least from my experience, I think you may have a couple companies in there that do not fit your narrative.

kaboy42

Territorial Marshal
May 2, 2007
I could see the PAC and B12 entering into a short-term (5 yrs) scheduling alliance beginning next year (potentially excluding OU and UT). This would add TV value to both leagues, give the PAC some noon Eastern kick-offs, and serve as a dating period before expansion which could then occur after our TV deal runs out. Thoughts?
I'm actually afraid this is where Bowlsby is headed with this... a gutless bandaid... and I do not like it. :mad:

Aug 16, 2012

I don't get it.
I agree if the teams played are not the top of the PAC12. None would replace OU or Texas, but I can see how an OSU vs. USC game would draw a lot more viewers than an OSU game against KSU or just about anyone else in the B12.

We have assumed the top of the heap status in the B12 now and believe it or not, we have to worry about the rest of the conference dragging US down.

Aug 16, 2012
I'm actually afraid this is where Bowlsby is headed with this... a gutless bandaid... and I do not like it. :mad:
It is, because he is now herding a pack without a dominant name and his job is to try to keep the conference together. This is why we need to be proactive with protecting our school and be striking a deal on our own.

On one hand we have to be a team player, then on the other hand, we have to be aggressive with protecting OSU. Not a fence I would want to be straddling.

Nov 8, 2013

I don't get it.
Is it a delay tactic? Use alliance for now and take in $ from UT and UT-Norman exit fees in the interim, and then formally merge as GOR expires?

Mar 2, 2007
Edmond
Imagine if Texas Tech never fired Mike Leach for political reasons and Kansas never fired Mark Mangino for poking a player. Both coaches represent the best possible coach and highest level of success those schools could ever hope to have. Both teams were ranked in the top 20 on a bad week and have never recovered since. The calculus of how strong the Big 12 would be in our current situation, or even whether Texas and OU would have left in the first place, if a Mangino Kansas and Leach TTech were still here is an interesting thought.

Aug 16, 2012
Is it a delay tactic? Use alliance for now and take in $ from UT and UT-Norman exit fees in the interim, and then formally merge as GOR expires?
Makes sense. Make a pseudo-commitment to appease the B12 and once the GOR expires....rats abandoning the ship. Almost like an internship where we need to impress a potential employer during the next couple of years. Be a really good time to string together a couple great years across all sports but in particular, football.

Aug 19, 2006
One of your contingencies has to be replacing two conference games in the next three years. The Big XII can offer quality opponents and early game times. The PAC12 can offer quality opponents so we aren't left scheduling Alabama Polytech.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
That solves our short-term scheduling problem (assuming OU/Texit happens sooner) but what does PAC get out of it? Is playing TCU or T-Tech going to give them any appreciable TV revenue bump over some other OOC team they might otherwise play?? Seems marginal at best.

Aug 19, 2006
KU is literally a one-sport school. Would any major conference make a re-alignment decision just to get a bump in basketball?? If anything, you'd lose football revenue by bringing them in. We don't even want to watch their games in the Big 12 now. Can't imagine anyone in Michigan or Ohio is going to get excited about watching Jayhawk football.

Sep 12, 2013
Broken Arrow, OK
That solves our short-term scheduling problem (assuming OU/Texit happens sooner) but what does PAC get out of it? Is playing TCU or T-Tech going to give them any appreciable TV revenue bump over some other OOC team they might otherwise play?? Seems marginal at best.
It's in the message you quoted. They can play at a time when half the country is NOT asleep. They get exposure. Maybe those west coast teams are not as bad as ESPN says they are. Then again, maybe they are.