Big 12 Realignment thread, 2021 version

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

What conference would you like to see OSU join?

• ACC

• Big Ten

• PAC-12

• Expanded Big 12

• Other (please explain)

Results are only viewable after voting.
Jun 5, 2020
OKC
Reported from KC ku to big10 possibly in talks

First domino, we are in a bad position, probably 4th at best as far as attractiveness. Ku, isu, wvu, then who knows.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Well Nebraska is on board, at least someone to beat in conference football. They are so down in FB and seem to have years to get traction why would any Football Conference want them. They need to go to a basketball only conference

Poke4Christ

Federal Marshal
Aug 2, 2005
Edmond, OK
Unfortunately, it appears we are driving toward a split power 5 where the top conferences (SEC and B1G) absorb the teams of highest value from the remaining conferences. Basically, it appears we will end up with an "upper major" segment where the remaining PAC, B12, and ACC teams are left out of the overall pie. Blah.

I still think that if OU gets the chance they will argue for us to be brought in to the SEC (Yes, they do actually like us and want the best for us), but I don't expect them to get that chance.

Oct 30, 2007
I reported last week while I was in Wisconsin the ISU plane and BIG planes were at the terminal
it’s happening
Yep, if wvu to ACc, isu to big10. We are in some very deep trouble. Athletic budget about to be about 1/5 what it was.

Aug 31, 2004
Austin, TX
Reported from KC ku to big10 possibly in talks

First domino, we are in a bad position, probably 4th at best as far as attractiveness. Ku, isu, wvu, then who knows.

Take away the AAU thing, and it's not even close--we are by far the most attractive option. Our football team would be an immediate top 5, our baseball/softball teams would be top 3, everyone knows what's going on with the bball team, and of course, wrestling. Athletically, we check every box.

Nov 25, 2009
Kedah Malaysia
I also live in Pac12 country, and while I am not a Sun Devil or Wildcat "fan", I watch portions of an occasional game on TV and am willing to talk sports with anyone who wants to at work or church. And through work, I am on the phone weekly with colleagues from California and Oregon. The thing is... there is almost no passion for college sports out here compared to Oklahoma and Texas (and probably Kansas for that matter). The main thing the "Remaining Eight" (or a subset thereof) could bring to the Pac 12 is a bit of passion (smaller markets but higher viewership). I think with the right marketing and the right product on the field, a combined Pac12/Big12 could be a good growth story. Go even bigger and add the Big 10 to create a mega conference, and the growth could truly be significant.

It could just be me, but I would not be surprised to see a bit of an SEC backlash across the country. Anyone else anticipate a ratings drop for SEC games outside the southeastern footprint?
Those Pac12 fans lack passion for football because they have more important things to do. Half your life taken away if working for Intel, HP, Agilent, Apple etc.

AZ, You need to post more often.

Jostate

Identifies as a Cowboys fan
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
Those Pac12 fans lack passion for football because they have more important things to do. Half your life taken away if working for Intel, HP, Agilent, Apple etc.

AZ, You need to post more often.
Well they do have mountains and beaches too.

Jan 13, 2008
Corinth, TX & Graz, Austria
Not sure the big 10 has any interest in anything out west though. They dont bring a lot of revenue or football tradition. Then they'd be covering 3 time zones . Their aau requirement might be for show, nebraska lost their aau status in 2011 and it's not something they seem to be too concerned over.

And looking at those options, really none of them add much to make them more competitive with the new sec in football. And football drives all of this. It could open up the west to a point for recruiting, but they already have the northern states, much of the midwest and much of the northeast basically for ripe for the picking. I dont think acc will break up though, if conferences only go to 16. so big 10 may have to get creative. might only be able to take kansas and iowa state. it'd make them viable but wont improve their status much. if only they were capable of getting ND.

More likely the pac would poach from the big 12 if anything. They could get 4 more teams and have a very viable east and west split going, and they'd love opening up texas. as far as osu is concerned, this would be a very favorable landing spot for them.

not a huge fan of mega conferences of 20 teams. it would likely lead to an invitation of mid majors to big boys leagues and would water down the quality of each conference a bit. would be interesting but feels like it's too much going on, and that's not even getting into the impact it would have on playoff selections.
No football tradition. :confused:

This millennium, USC has a the AP Championship in 2003 and won the BCS Championship in 2004. Plus 7 Heisman winners in their school history.

I don't think Oregon and USC are too far off from Texas and OU. The only reason the PAC may not be viewed as highly is because they have been missing the 4 team Championships over the last years.

You have recency bias or are just showing your personal bias.

Remember 8 of the 14 teams in the SEC are dead weight and only serve as schedule fillers.

OrangeFan69

LA Face with an Okla. booty.
A/V Subscriber
Apr 24, 2010
Los Angeles 90046
instagram.com
No football tradition. :confused:

This millennium, USC has a the AP Championship in 2003 and won the BCS Championship in 2004. Plus 7 Heisman winners in their school history.

I don't think Oregon and USC are too far off from Texas and OU. The only reason the PAC may not be viewed as highly is because they have been missing the 4 team Championships over the last years.

You have recency bias or are just showing your personal bias.

Remember 8 of the 14 teams in the SEC are dead weight and only serve as schedule fillers.
USC has had mediocre coaching performances (oddly enough by three gentlemen now coaching SEC schools) since Pete Carroll left (over something that would be legal now). I also feel the Pac has been poo-poo'ed by ESPN as a conscious ploy to devalue the conference and get their TV rights for cheaper.

Would anything shady done by ESPN surprise you at this point?

Last edited:

ScooberJake

Territorial Marshal
Jul 13, 2004
Denver, CO
Here is my version of the two mega conferences.
If we must have two super-conferences, then I agree that setup is a good one for college athletics. But my guess is those teams will not all make it in. If this is really driven purely by money, which it seems to be, I think there are a lot of teams included there who don't bring value. I see a total of 48 as more likely. Something like:

SEC + OU, UT, Clemson, Miami, FSU, VT, UVA, GT + (Pitt/OSU/TT/TCU/Memphis)
B1G + ND, Stanford, USC, UCLA, Oregon, Duke, UNC, Kansas + (Syracuse/UW/CU/BYU/ISU/WVU/BC/OSU/TT)

OSU125

Wrangler
Sep 2, 2014
I would prefer the cowboys join the BIG because they are also in the central time zone. They could join with Iowa State or Kansas.
I know this would be the preference of a lot of people....the problem is that it doesn't seems overly likely that we will get an invite to join. I hope everyone is wrong and they drop that AAU requirement and decide to extend us an invitation, but that would be a dramatic shift in that conferences thinking.

ScooberJake

Territorial Marshal
Jul 13, 2004
Denver, CO
I know this would be the preference of a lot of people....the problem is that it doesn't seems overly likely that we will get an invite to join. I hope everyone is wrong and they drop that AAU requirement and decide to extend us an invitation, but that would be a dramatic shift in that conferences thinking.
Yes, but it could also be a good strategic move. It seems obvious to me that the B1G needs to expand if they want to keep up with the SEC financially. But the ACC GOR seems to make those schools unavailable for ~10 years. And adding Kansas and Iowa State doesn't really get you anything.

If they want to make a splash they need to go bigger. Reach into California by adding USC, UCLA, Oregon and (Stanford/AZ/CU/UW). Maybe get a foothold in Texas with TT, Baylor, OSU, and (TCU/KSU/Houston). Maybe both.

But sticking with AAU severely constrains their options at least for the next 10 years. And I don't think they can wait 10 years.

OSU125

Wrangler
Sep 2, 2014
Yes, but it could also be a good strategic move. It seems obvious to me that the B1G needs to expand if they want to keep up with the SEC financially. But the ACC GOR seems to make those schools unavailable for ~10 years. And adding Kansas and Iowa State doesn't really get you anything.

If they want to make a splash they need to go bigger. Reach into California by adding USC, UCLA, Oregon and (Stanford/AZ/CU/UW). Maybe get a foothold in Texas with TT, Baylor, OSU, and (TCU/KSU/Houston). Maybe both.

But sticking with AAU severely constrains their options at least for the next 10 years. And I don't think they can wait 10 years.
It definitely limits their options, and I hope we get serious consideration, I just don't know if the University Presidents that will ultimately make the decision will budge.

Sep 29, 2011
Breckenridge, CO
I could see the PAC and B12 entering into a short-term (5 yrs) scheduling alliance beginning next year (potentially excluding OU and UT). This would add TV value to both leagues, give the PAC some noon Eastern kick-offs, and serve as a dating period before expansion which could then occur after our TV deal runs out. Thoughts?