Big 12 Realignment thread, 2021 version

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

What conference would you like to see OSU join?

• ACC

• Big Ten

• PAC-12

• Expanded Big 12

• Other (please explain)

Results are only viewable after voting.

kaboy42

Territorial Marshal
May 2, 2007
But do we actually want Bowlsby negotiating on behalf of OSU? What may be good for the big XII may not be the best option for OSU
Oh totally agree... just the first time I've seen him take any kind of action that required guts. IMO, he's been "gutless" his entire tenure.

LS1 Z28

Territorial Marshal
Oct 30, 2007
Whoa. Waitaminute... am I reading this right? Did Bowlsby finally find his man marbles??? Did he actually do something "bold"?
Better late than never I guess. We'll see what happens. It's hard for me to believe that the Pac 12 will want to split their TV revenue pie 20 ways, but you never know though.

Oct 1, 2006
USA
www.yahoo.com
Bowlsby is looking out for Bowlsby. We need to team up with Tech and set a meeting with the Pac 12 then go from there. Bowlsby is going to put together some sort of scheduling alliance that he’ll spin as keeping us in a P5. I would be shocked if the Pac 12 would even consider a complete merger with the leftover Big 12 schools. Only a select few of us bring value.

All the while, if we can get a meeting with the Big Ten with a Iowa State or Kansas we need to jump all over it. I do believe OSU is positioned the best of anyone here, but going into these meetings with a partner could be beneficial.

CocoCincinnati

Federal Marshal
Feb 7, 2007
Tulsa, OK
Bowlsby is looking out for Bowlsby. We need to team up with Tech and set a meeting with the Pac 12 then go from there. Bowlsby is going to put together some sort of scheduling alliance that he’ll spin as keeping us in a P5. I would be shocked if the Pac 12 would even consider a complete merger with the leftover Big 12 schools. Only a select few of us bring value.

All the while, if we can get a meeting with the Big Ten with a Iowa State or Kansas we need to jump all over it. I do believe OSU is positioned the best of anyone here, but going into these meetings with a partner could be beneficial.
Exactly. If Bowlsby is negotiating anything other than which big 12 schools the PAC is interested in taking then it's a waste of time. Staying at 8 teams but unveiling a new scheduling alliance where all 8 teams play one non-con against the PAC does nothing for the long term....we would still end up as a G5 conference.

ScooberJake

Territorial Marshal
Jul 13, 2004
Denver, CO
Exactly. If Bowlsby is negotiating anything other than which big 12 schools the PAC is interested in taking then it's a waste of time. Staying at 8 teams but unveiling a new scheduling alliance where all 8 teams play one non-con against the PAC does nothing for the long term....we would still end up as a G5 conference.
True, but his job is to advocate for the conference as a whole. Kansas State would understandably be pretty pissed if they learned Bowlsby was negotiating for OSU and TT to leave and further devastate the conference.

However, more voices telling Pac 12 officials how great it would be for them in terms of both recruiting and finances to have a foothold in Texas can only be good for us.

Oct 1, 2006
USA
www.yahoo.com
Yeah, the more I consider it I will say with the Pac 12’s tv rights coming up in 2024 there could be a sliver of hope of a full merger. The Pac 12 network has been a failure. Adding it in the central time zone in some considerable TV markets may spark interest for networks.

One factor that may actually change everything: Amazon. They have made major investments in the NFL. I would expect them to do so in college football as well. ESPN has the SEC wrapped around their finger. Big Ten is seemingly comfortable with the Fox/ESPN split.

Could the Seattle based Amazon see potential in gaining full or split rights with Fox to the Big Pac 20? It would give them a significant slice of the country immediately.

Sep 29, 2011
Breckenridge, CO
I view Bolwsby's meeting with the Pac12 as simply "a base he has to touch" if he's doing his job. I doubt he has much to offer, but is instead in a listening mode to determine what the Pac's big needs are and if their is any interest in all or parts of the remaining 8.

Last edited:
Jul 31, 2021
California
Trojan fan here. I've been lurking around for a few days too after all the realignment talk. It sucks to see another great conference dissolved because Texas and now Oklahoma still aren't happy. Rather than try to help the Big12 be successful they tore it down and threw everyone under the bus. When the opportunity to expand last time and get into large markets and try to build a conference network Texas decided to stick to everyone else and keep the failed LHN.

I believe and hope OSU and the others either stick it out and keep the Big12. I know a lot feel that it should dissolve and everyone go their separate ways but the old Big 8 and Big12 with Missouri, Nebraska and A&M were a lot of fun back in the day.

I think some misconceptions about the PAC12 are that we are elitist, particularly the California schools. But it was mostly us that were pushing for taking Texas, Oklahoma State, OU, Tech, A&M and Colorado the last time. The California schools recognized that the SEC, B1G and even Big 12 back in the day were taking up most of the good California recruits. To keep them in the conference the California schools wanted to try to be the first super conference.

I know a lot of people bring up academics but the PAC12 isn't nearly as elitist as the B1G is. Yes we may have 9 AAU members but when ASU was invited in the late 70's they weren't AAU and still aren't close to getting that designation. When Utah was invited in 2010 they weren't AAU and didn't get that designation until 2019. I think being a part of the PAC12 made it a little easier to give them an invite that to group which is probably why the AAU is just an old boys club and most of the public universities in that group are all part of P5 conferences.

If just looking at USNWR, which even most academics know is a bogus ranking anyway, it has changed over the years to include graduation and retention rates and the cost of in-state tuition rather than just relying on rankings from professors. But universities use it to recruit students even they know the metrics are bunk. The thing is if the PAC was willing to take Texas, OU, Oklahoma State, Tech and A&M the last time they knew that their academic rankings weren't spectacular but it was about footprint, recruiting and ensuring that the PAC would be one of the better conferences going forward.

The official statement from insiders is that Baylor wasn't included due to being a smaller private school in a small marketing footprint and the conference would have got what it needed out of the other 3 Texas schools. I kind of don't think this is the case and feel that it came down to religious affiliation.

However, if we look at it from an academics standpoint still then although TCU and Baylor have a high academic ranking they aren't considered Carnegie 1 (very high research) classification. Baylor would be considered a Carnegie 2 (high research) institution and I don't think TCU is even considered a Tier 2.

PAC12:
Stanford - #6 - AAU
UCLA - #20 - AAU
Cal - #22 - AAU
USC - #24 - AAU
UW - #58 - AAU
Arizona - #97 - AAU
Utah - #97 - AAU
ASU - #103
CU - #103 - AAU
Oregon - #103 - AAU
Oregon State - #153
WSU - #176

Big12:
Texas 42 - AAU
Baylor University - 76
TCU - 80
ISU - 118 - AAU
KU - 124 - AAU
Oklahoma - 133
KSU - 170
Oklahoma State - 187
Texas Tech - 217
WVU - 241

Personally I would love to see Oklahoma State, Tech and even KSU in the conference. OSU brings baseball and since CU doesn't offer it the 11 game league schedule feels weird. Not only that but the PAC wrestling has struggled to be consistent. In fact Cal Poly, Cal State - Bakersfield and Arkansas - Little Rock were added to the conference to keep wrestling going so OSU would be huge. I know that football drives conference realignment but getting into that Texas/Midwest recruiting I think would help keep the PAC relevant in a scenario where the other conferences don't decide to merge/expand and take some of the western schools.

Oklahoma State is also one of the few P5 teams that USC has never played so getting you guys in conference would be fun. A lot better than going to Corvallis or Pullman anyway.

OSUCowboy787

Territorial Marshal
Dec 31, 2008
Keller, Texas
https://twitter.com/koconews/status/1422641770706374662

tenor (2).gif

This would be terrible in the long run for OSU. Need to take notes from the UT and OU blueprint and realize its every man for himself and creating a 20 team 'alliance' and keeping 8 teams somehow will just delay the inevitable fall of the Big 12 and leave us floundering again in 3-4 years.

Aug 16, 2008
Oklahoma City
Trojan fan here. I've been lurking around for a few days too after all the realignment talk. It sucks to see another great conference dissolved because Texas and now Oklahoma still aren't happy. Rather than try to help the Big12 be successful they tore it down and threw everyone under the bus. When the opportunity to expand last time and get into large markets and try to build a conference network Texas decided to stick to everyone else and keep the failed LHN.

I believe and hope OSU and the others either stick it out and keep the Big12. I know a lot feel that it should dissolve and everyone go their separate ways but the old Big 8 and Big12 with Missouri, Nebraska and A&M were a lot of fun back in the day.

I think some misconceptions about the PAC12 are that we are elitist, particularly the California schools. But it was mostly us that were pushing for taking Texas, Oklahoma State, OU, Tech, A&M and Colorado the last time. The California schools recognized that the SEC, B1G and even Big 12 back in the day were taking up most of the good California recruits. To keep them in the conference the California schools wanted to try to be the first super conference.

I know a lot of people bring up academics but the PAC12 isn't nearly as elitist as the B1G is. Yes we may have 9 AAU members but when ASU was invited in the late 70's they weren't AAU and still aren't close to getting that designation. When Utah was invited in 2010 they weren't AAU and didn't get that designation until 2019. I think being a part of the PAC12 made it a little easier to give them an invite that to group which is probably why the AAU is just an old boys club and most of the public universities in that group are all part of P5 conferences.

If just looking at USNWR, which even most academics know is a bogus ranking anyway, it has changed over the years to include graduation and retention rates and the cost of in-state tuition rather than just relying on rankings from professors. But universities use it to recruit students even they know the metrics are bunk. The thing is if the PAC was willing to take Texas, OU, Oklahoma State, Tech and A&M the last time they knew that their academic rankings weren't spectacular but it was about footprint, recruiting and ensuring that the PAC would be one of the better conferences going forward.

The official statement from insiders is that Baylor wasn't included due to being a smaller private school in a small marketing footprint and the conference would have got what it needed out of the other 3 Texas schools. I kind of don't think this is the case and feel that it came down to religious affiliation.

However, if we look at it from an academics standpoint still then although TCU and Baylor have a high academic ranking they aren't considered Carnegie 1 (very high research) classification. Baylor would be considered a Carnegie 2 (high research) institution and I don't think TCU is even considered a Tier 2.

PAC12:
Stanford - #6 - AAU
UCLA - #20 - AAU
Cal - #22 - AAU
USC - #24 - AAU
UW - #58 - AAU
Arizona - #97 - AAU
Utah - #97 - AAU
ASU - #103
CU - #103 - AAU
Oregon - #103 - AAU
Oregon State - #153
WSU - #176

Big12:
Texas 42 - AAU
Baylor University - 76
TCU - 80
ISU - 118 - AAU
KU - 124 - AAU
Oklahoma - 133
KSU - 170
Oklahoma State - 187
Texas Tech - 217
WVU - 241

Personally I would love to see Oklahoma State, Tech and even KSU in the conference. OSU brings baseball and since CU doesn't offer it the 11 game league schedule feels weird. Not only that but the PAC wrestling has struggled to be consistent. In fact Cal Poly, Cal State - Bakersfield and Arkansas - Little Rock were added to the conference to keep wrestling going so OSU would be huge. I know that football drives conference realignment but getting into that Texas/Midwest recruiting I think would help keep the PAC relevant in a scenario where the other conferences don't decide to merge/expand and take some of the western schools.

Oklahoma State is also one of the few P5 teams that USC has never played so getting you guys in conference would be fun. A lot better than going to Corvallis or Pullman anyway.
A big ”Thank You” to Trojan 209 for the above post.
You’re welcome to post here anytime !! (Just my opinion, but I think I speak for most all)

Nov 8, 2013

PAC12:
Stanford - #6 - AAU
UCLA - #20 - AAU
Cal - #22 - AAU
USC - #24 - AAU
UW - #58 - AAU
Arizona - #97 - AAU
Utah - #97 - AAU
ASU - #103
CU - #103 - AAU
Oregon - #103 - AAU
Oregon State - #153
WSU - #176

Big12:
Texas 42 - AAU
Baylor University - 76
TCU - 80
ISU - 118 - AAU
KU - 124 - AAU
Oklahoma - 133
KSU - 170
Oklahoma State - 187
Texas Tech - 217
WVU - 241

I also live in Pac12 country, and while I am not a Sun Devil or Wildcat "fan", I watch portions of an occasional game on TV and am willing to talk sports with anyone who wants to at work or church. And through work, I am on the phone weekly with colleagues from California and Oregon. The thing is... there is almost no passion for college sports out here compared to Oklahoma and Texas (and probably Kansas for that matter). The main thing the "Remaining Eight" (or a subset thereof) could bring to the Pac 12 is a bit of passion (smaller markets but higher viewership). I think with the right marketing and the right product on the field, a combined Pac12/Big12 could be a good growth story. Go even bigger and add the Big 10 to create a mega conference, and the growth could truly be significant.

It could just be me, but I would not be surprised to see a bit of an SEC backlash across the country. Anyone else anticipate a ratings drop for SEC games outside the southeastern footprint?

Herecomesbullets

Territorial Marshal
Nov 14, 2010
If OSU continued to play the other 7 Big 12 schools, then added 2 guaranteed games a year with Pac 12 schools, plus the non con we have scheduled, I think that's a great setup for OSU.

It keeps this region interested in the Conference OSU is in which makes recruiting much easier, and it also keeps us aligned with more schools that are a cultural fit.

I put all my thoughts on it in the story I linked below.

https://dodgerpokereport.com/?p=739

Last edited:

ScooberJake

Territorial Marshal
Jul 13, 2004
Denver, CO
View attachment 91286

This would be terrible in the long run for OSU. Need to take notes from the UT and OU blueprint and realize its every man for himself and creating a 20 team 'alliance' and keeping 8 teams somehow will just delay the inevitable fall of the Big 12 and leave us floundering again in 3-4 years.
Yeah, it's dicey. I hope Weiburg has a crystal ball. The ultimate goal is long-term stability in a "power" conference. A mere scheduling alliance with the PAC doesn't really do anything for anyone. A PAC-20 sounds pretty watered down, unlikely to survive long term. Is it better or worse than a PAC-16? No one knows. My guess is we will drop down to four power conferences for the next 10-ish years, until the ACC GOR date gets close. At that point we probably drop to just two. Best bet might be for a PAC-16 to get folded in wholesale, perhaps alongside a B1G 16 to form a 32-team conference that balances the SEC. But my guess is the B1G will not want to add 16 teams. Certainly not 20.

Jostate

Identifies as a Cowboys fan
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
I also live in Pac12 country, and while I am not a Sun Devil or Wildcat "fan", I watch portions of an occasional game on TV and am willing to talk sports with anyone who wants to at work or church. And through work, I am on the phone weekly with colleagues from California and Oregon. The thing is... there is almost no passion for college sports out here compared to Oklahoma and Texas (and probably Kansas for that matter). The main thing the "Remaining Eight" (or a subset thereof) could bring to the Pac 12 is a bit of passion (smaller markets but higher viewership). I think with the right marketing and the right product on the field, a combined Pac12/Big12 could be a good growth story. Go even bigger and add the Big 10 to create a mega conference, and the growth could truly be significant.

It could just be me, but I would not be surprised to see a bit of an SEC backlash across the country. Anyone else anticipate a ratings drop for SEC games outside the southeastern footprint?
Although we are a poor cultural fit with the Pac 12 (just wait until they see our mascot roaming the sideline with an actual shotgun), they may recognize the need to compete with the SEC. The status quo isn't going to get it done, so they may have to consider some of the unwashed masses from the flyover states just to compete.