Big 12 Realignment thread, 2021 version

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

What conference would you like to see OSU join?

• ACC

• Big Ten

• PAC-12

• Expanded Big 12

• Other (please explain)

Results are only viewable after voting.
Jan 13, 2008
Corinth, TX & Graz, Austria
The Clemson/FSU news changes things a little more and I think puts heat on B1G to make a move.

If B1G and SEC decide to go to 20 teams, I feel confident that OSU would find a "P3" conference. It isn't as strong as the SEC, but it would be stable. I used the teams that have been discussed the most to fill up the SEC and B1G

1st scenario. B1G decides to stay in the Central and Eastern time zones:
SEC 20: Clemson, Fla State, Miami, Va Tech
B1G 20: Duke, Georgia Tech, North Carolina, Virginia, Iowa State, Kansas

PAC12: 12 teams, NEED TO ADD 8
Pool of Teams to fill PAC12
BIG12: OSU, TTech, WV, K State, TCU, Baylor
ACC: Louisville, NC State, WF, PITT, BC, Syracuse
Others: UCF, CIN, Mem, HOU

2nd scenario. There are 9 AAU schools in the PAC12. I chose Arizona, Colorado, and Utah as the least desirable to the B1G:
SEC 20: Clemson, Fla State, Miami, Va Tech
BIG20 PAC: Oregon, USC, UCLA, Wash, Cal, Stanford, Arizona, Colorado, Utah

Pool of Teams to make 20 team conference
PAC12: ASU, Arizona, Wash St, Oregon St, Colorado, Utah
BIG12: OSU, TTech, WV, Iowa State, Kansas, K State, TCU, Baylor
ACC: Duke, Georgia Tech, North Carolina, Virginia, Louisville, NC State, WF, PITT, BC, Syracuse
Others: UCF, CIN, Mem, HOU

My top 15 but I could see K-State getting left out in favor or 2 more PAC teams

OSU125

Wrangler
Sep 2, 2014
Terrific article posted by Bill Haisten tonight. This excerpt stood out to me:

“Before the end of this calendar year, I expect a significant announcement regarding OSU football facilities/amenities. Such a play would bolster Oklahoma State’s position as a candidate for Pac-12 or Big Ten membership.“

https://tulsaworld.com/sports/colle...cle_fe17e782-f3d5-11eb-97e3-a38c717adb62.html
I'm glad we aren't going to let ourselves fall behind again on football facilities, but I wonder how this might effect the timeline for the Wrestling RTC and an updated Softball Stadium? I know a couple years ago when they broke ground at O'Brate that Holder said that Wrestling was next for a new facility.

Oct 25, 2008
Thank you for your concern, but you need to worry about Arky U becoming relevant in the SEC. We're going to wind up in a Power 4 with no problem. And regardless of what of some of the no-it-alls on talk radio say, don't rule out the Big Ten for us as well. There are things going on behind the scenes that will make the Cowboy nation smile! But these things take time.
Don't give me hope for it to be crushed.

Aug 2, 2011
I'm glad we aren't going to let ourselves fall behind again on football facilities, but I wonder how this might effect the timeline for the Wrestling RTC and an updated Softball Stadium? I know a couple years ago when they broke ground at O'Brate that Holder said that Wrestling was next for a new facility.
Can we please get a video ribbon? Please

May 4, 2011
Charleston, SC
That would make sense , since their GOR is to 2036? That would be a hefty buyout, unless ESPN is behind the scenes trying to dissolve the conference as well.
But they have almost no motivation to do so. They already own all of Clemson's and FSU's TV rights. With OU and UT, ESPN would get several more of the most watched games per year because they basically get to steal them from Fox.

Midnight Toker

Territorial Marshal
May 28, 2010
Pretty sure the Clemson/FSU to SEC was revealed as a hoax
Honestly i think the big 10 would be smart to go after a couple big fish to stay with the new sec. if the acc is to remain as one of the big 4 super conferences then it would make sense for them to stay in acc. going to be interesting to see how things play out because pretty much only the big 12 can blow up in this scenario and their two big fish are spoken for.

LS1 Z28

Territorial Marshal
Oct 30, 2007
https://theathletic.com/2749212/202...-pac-12s-george-kliavkoff-on-tuesday-sources/
Big 12 commissioner Bob Bowlsby to meet with Pac-12’s George Kliavkoff on Tuesday: Sources
Big 12 commissioner Bob Bowlsby is scheduled to meet with new Pac-12 commissioner George Kliavkoff on Tuesday, multiple sources told The Athletic.

Their meeting is expected to be a key first step in talks about whether the two conferences would benefit from strategically working together during college sports’ new phase of realignment.

Jan 13, 2008
Corinth, TX & Graz, Austria
Honestly i think the big 10 would be smart to go after a couple big fish to stay with the new sec. if the acc is to remain as one of the big 4 super conferences then it would make sense for them to stay in acc. going to be interesting to see how things play out because pretty much only the big 12 can blow up in this scenario and their two big fish are spoken for.
AAU teams
ACC: Duke, Georgia Tech, Virginia, North Carolina, Pitt
PAC12: Oregon, USC, UCLA, Wash, Cal, Stanford, Arizona, Colorado, Utah
BIG12: Kansas, Iowa State

For the B1G to improve their football programs and keep with their AAU requirement, they would need to hit the PAC, because the ACC teams that are AAU are mediocre football teams.

PAC 6: Oregon, USC, UCLA, Wash, Cal, Stanford
That would be a 4 divisions of 6.

OR

PAC 8: Oregon, USC, UCLA, Wash, Cal, Stanford plus 2 from Colorado/Arizona/Utah
3 divisions of 8

I think it would be hard for the B1G to pick up only 2-4 teams out of the PAC.

Sep 12, 2013
Broken Arrow, OK
AAU teams

For the B1G to improve their football programs and keep with their AAU requirement, they would need to hit the PAC, because the ACC teams that are AAU are mediocre football teams.

OR

3 divisions of 8

I saw a video on YouTube yesterday, Buckeye Scoop, I think, where the guest reporter said the most likely PAC12 schools to move to the B1G were USC and Colorado.

Colordao? I would figure Colorado would battle for the 6th spot in the PAC12 to B1G migration.

Oct 1, 2006
USA
www.yahoo.com
https://theathletic.com/2749212/202...-pac-12s-george-kliavkoff-on-tuesday-sources/
Big 12 commissioner Bob Bowlsby to meet with Pac-12’s George Kliavkoff on Tuesday: Sources
Big 12 commissioner Bob Bowlsby is scheduled to meet with new Pac-12 commissioner George Kliavkoff on Tuesday, multiple sources told The Athletic.

Their meeting is expected to be a key first step in talks about whether the two conferences would benefit from strategically working together during college sports’ new phase of realignment.

kaboy42

Territorial Marshal
May 2, 2007
Texas Tech invented standing.

Whoa. Waitaminute... am I reading this right? Did Bowlsby finally find his man marbles??? Did he actually do something "bold"?

Midnight Toker

Territorial Marshal
May 28, 2010
AAU teams

OR

3 divisions of 8

Not sure the big 10 has any interest in anything out west though. They dont bring a lot of revenue or football tradition. Then they'd be covering 3 time zones . Their aau requirement might be for show, nebraska lost their aau status in 2011 and it's not something they seem to be too concerned over.

And looking at those options, really none of them add much to make them more competitive with the new sec in football. And football drives all of this. It could open up the west to a point for recruiting, but they already have the northern states, much of the midwest and much of the northeast basically for ripe for the picking. I dont think acc will break up though, if conferences only go to 16. so big 10 may have to get creative. might only be able to take kansas and iowa state. it'd make them viable but wont improve their status much. if only they were capable of getting ND.

More likely the pac would poach from the big 12 if anything. They could get 4 more teams and have a very viable east and west split going, and they'd love opening up texas. as far as osu is concerned, this would be a very favorable landing spot for them.

not a huge fan of mega conferences of 20 teams. it would likely lead to an invitation of mid majors to big boys leagues and would water down the quality of each conference a bit. would be interesting but feels like it's too much going on, and that's not even getting into the impact it would have on playoff selections.