Big 12 Realignment thread, 2021 version

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

What conference would you like to see OSU join?

• ACC

• Big Ten

• PAC-12

• Expanded Big 12

• Other (please explain)

Results are only viewable after voting.
Sep 9, 2013
Worse case scenario--and it isnt the end of the world. It would be a salty football conference, and a decent hoops, baseball conference.

10 teams until 35.7 million per team expires in 2025.
then add 2 more for 12.
Big 12 west
BYU
Texas tech
Baylor
TCU
Oklahoma State
Kansas
Big 12 east
Kstate
Iowa State
UCF
WVU
Cinn
Memphis

Aug 16, 2008
Oklahoma City
I don't disagree that it'll self-segregate. But I also don't think that an amateur division could officially exist given the presence of NIL.

As weird as it seems, I think the absolute best case is some sort of relegation system that can behave more as a spectrum as opposed to a binary semi-pro vs amateur.

Realistically, what we're headed towards is whatever system is the most profitable for ESPN and the remaining 60-80 or so universities fighting for whatever scraps fall on the floor. In practice, I see the outsiders basically functioning as a farm system for the big leagues with players transferring to the more powerful teams ASAP. Who knows on tv rights...? I guess Fox and non-Disney companies get whatever is leftover.

At this point, I think this borders on some kind of anti-trust action against Disney given the insane impacts of this across the nation and impacting so many different things, all so ESPN can profit.
Great points there Birry. You stated above exactly where this is headed, unless a detour is forced soon.

I would advocate about 60-80 schools (your number but I think is appropriate) form their own new governing body (a more proficient and fair NCAA), and then go sue ESPN. We’d lose, but you never know, there just might be a sane compromise reached just to avoid excessive legal fees.

llcoolw

Territorial Marshal
Feb 7, 2005
Sammamish, Washington.Dallas, Texas.Maui, Hawaii
I don't disagree that it'll self-segregate. But I also don't think that an amateur division could officially exist given the presence of NIL.

As weird as it seems, I think the absolute best case is some sort of relegation system that can behave more as a spectrum as opposed to a binary semi-pro vs amateur.

Realistically, what we're headed towards is whatever system is the most profitable for ESPN and the remaining 60-80 or so universities fighting for whatever scraps fall on the floor. In practice, I see the outsiders basically functioning as a farm system for the big leagues with players transferring to the more powerful/wealthy organizations ASAP. Who knows on tv rights...? I guess Fox and non-Disney companies get whatever is leftover.

At this point, I think this borders on some kind of anti-trust action against Disney given the massive consequences for educational, athletic, and financial dealings of universities across the country, all so ESPN can profit.
Agreed. Those words made my head sad.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=CeMRvoFFJ84&feature=youtu.be

llcoolw

Territorial Marshal
Feb 7, 2005
Sammamish, Washington.Dallas, Texas.Maui, Hawaii
Love everything about it. I also do not own anything red. I skipped a family members wedding because it was held in satan's taint. I too am not a hateful person save one program and everything associated with it. Everything.:D
Here's what should happen. It won't because it takes a level of cajones and cooperation that would never occur but if I was the tyrant dictator, here's what would go down.
  1. First and foremost the remaining 8 schools commit to staying together through the 2024-25 seasons.
    1. Forces those who shall not be named to both payout $77 million.
      1. ou does not have the money
      2. texas does but that is a huge number and they will feel it
    2. Retains the media rights for all sports to both said schools for:
      1. 2022
      2. 2023
      3. 2024
    3. This affectively becomes a half billion dollar penalty for their actions
      1. neither school or athletic program can absorb this and it will severely penalize them
      2. They will recover but they won't be the same for years
    4. We're all getting paid on top of what we would already be getting so for three more years, money is a non issue and we're not scrambling to find the best of a bad situation.
      1. None of the remaining 8 are getting in the CFP anyway.
      2. Other leagues will make big pronunciations against it but behind closed doors would be applauding sticking it to ou and texas and the SEC.
  2. None of the 8 schools play them in anything this year.
    1. Wait until teams have traveled to the intended away game site and then site covid protocols.
      1. There is nothing that can be done by them at this point. Covid is king and that was proven last year when teams didn't play that could have.
      2. Leading up to every game you say you're playing and then right after warmups, whoops covid positive, can't play.
      3. Don't spent any money going to Norman or Austin, cite covid prior to traveling.
        1. Both municipalities will feel the economic impact of zero college sports in their locations for a year.
        2. This makes the ultimate penalty even bigger for their actions and their douche bag fans can feel some of it
    2. Keeps both out of any contention for anything because they won't have enough games played in any sport. Not possible to reschedule with zero notice
    3. Removes additional revenue from this year as they don't play any home games
    4. TV networks get screwed and have to scramble to fill spots they thought they had UT and ou slated for.
      1. Keeps both of them off TV outside of non conference for the entire year.
  3. Never play bedlam again. In any sport. I hope this happens regardless of my god king scenarios but this is a must.
Again, would never happen but if I had the magic wand, that's how this would go down. Scorched earth!

(edit: I hope you laughed before smashing the reply button.)
Love everything about it. I also do not own anything red. I skipped a family members wedding because it was held in satan's taint. I too am not a hateful person save one program and everything associated with it. Everything.:D
Apparently I made my evil laugh whilst reading these. So says my bright orange convert.

andylicious

Territorial Marshal
Nov 16, 2013
tractor
How in the world does Clemson and Florida State not stream better than the goons and whorns? How does the SEC have such data if ESPN isn't in the middle of this? Enquiring minds want to know.