Big 12 Realignment thread, 2021 version

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

What conference would you like to see OSU join?

• ACC

• Big Ten

• PAC-12

• Expanded Big 12

• Other (please explain)

Results are only viewable after voting.
Sep 12, 2013
Broken Arrow, OK
This is step 2 towards a 32 to 48 team entry level professional organization/division, where the majority of the NIL money will be spent. Step 1 was NIL. The Big XII will fold and the forgotten teams will join the Group of 5 (6?) level to become a semi-amateur organization/division, with a much smaller slice of the NIL money.

I would be curious to see what happens after a few years of NIL and "college" football players making $250K to a cool million a year in endorsements. Will they even graduate? Will they need to keep up a GPA? Will they go to class? Will/should it spin off into a professional organization not affiliated with any universities?

Nov 6, 2010
This is step 2 towards a 32 to 48 team entry level professional organization/division, where the majority of the NIL money will be spent. Step 1 was NIL. The Big XII will fold and the forgotten teams will join the Group of 5 (6?) level to become a semi-amateur organization/division, with a much smaller slice of the NIL money.

I would be curious to see what happens after a few years of NIL and "college" football players making $250K to a cool million a year in endorsements. Will they even graduate? Will they need to keep up a GPA? Will they go to class? Will/should it spin off into a professional organization not affiliated with any universities?
Yes, definitely this. I keep looking at college baseball as the contrast to what is happening now. The NFL has used college football as their minor league system for decades. Maybe this makes the system more honest, and the rest of us can play amateur football again. 32 seems like a good number because there are 32 NFL teams. Maybe next step is to do away with conferences altogether and let the NFL teams adopt their regional college football program and start "drafting" players right out of high school to put into those programs.

RPG

Deputy
A/V Subscriber
Sep 28, 2017
Edmond, OK
Joe C. has enough respect and admiration accumulated in my book to be pretty certain of two things: 1) he knows how to play chess pretty well, and 2) if it works out for the long-term benefit of OU, he won't give a flip what Lincoln Riley is or isn't in favor of.
Agreed. My point is that, purely from a competitive standpoint, there's no way this is a good move for OU. The question isn't whether it's a great thing from an economic standpoint.

CowboyHoopsPride

Territorial Marshal
Feb 18, 2009
I think it would be more difficult to recruit top tier athletes as a G5 competing for players in SEC, Pac 12, ACC and Big 10 Schools.
Much more difficult. Plus your only games are TCU, Baylor and Tech every other year or so in their home state? This will kill football recruiting at a minimum.

Last edited:

Jonkr06

Territorial Marshal
Aug 18, 2007
Katy, TX
As others have said, I think the best case scenario for OSU is that the whole conference structure blows up and we get invited to a 64-team league. If OU and UT go to the SEC, schools like USC and Ohio State might feel more pressure to tear apart the SEC. Hopefully the end result includes us. Right now there are several potential outcomes that would really hurt OSU.
The problem is what happens in the meantime? Wouldn't take long in an also ran conference for us to effectively undo everything we've gained over the past 15 years.

Jul 5, 2020
Broken Arrow
Agreed. My point is that, purely from a competitive standpoint, there's no way this is a good move for OU. The question isn't whether it's a great thing from an economic standpoint.
Oh yea, I definitely get where you're coming from. And in terms of Lincoln, off the cuff I'd say he may be 50/50 on this deal. From a competitive perspective, and I'm just playing devil's advocate here to bounce this thing around, why would it not be a good move for OU? I don't see any teams from the BIG XII stepping up to finally win the CFP; just from the record book being in the SEC seems to have paid off pretty well in terms of championships.

wrenhal

Federal Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
No team from a power 5 conference is going to join a OU and Texas-less big XII. The Big XII already has the smallest TV revenue of the power 5 at 200 million, without OU and Texas we’re looking at group of 5 money with the biggest being the Big East at 46 million. It would also be very difficult for OSU to join another Power 5 because you’re talking about splitting the money they are already getting without bringing much TV money with us.
If OU and Texas left it’s possible it would turn into the Power 4 conferences and the Group of 6 conferences, we could maybe add a few smaller schools to the big XII. We would have a pretty good shot at getting an at large big to the playoffs if that would still be in play but we would probably have to drop some sports to make up for the loss of revenue.
Wait you're going to tell me that TV money with all sports, that the pac-12 is not below us? Or are you just talking football?

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Jan 17, 2011
As others have said, I think the best case scenario for OSU is that the whole conference structure blows up and we get invited to a 64-team league. If OU and UT go to the SEC, schools like USC and Ohio State might feel more pressure to tear apart the SEC. Hopefully the end result includes us. Right now there are several potential outcomes that would really hurt OSU.
if there was ever a time for bowlsby to let ‘me hang would be now and go big. You gotta raid the other conferences. Raid the SEC and Get Arkansas. Go get Nebraska back and make a hard push for Arizona and Arizona state. He’s gotta go after big fish. If he doesn’t and we dink and dunk with city schools and directional schools, the big xii is a glorified American conference.. If he doesn’t go big, he might as well start looking for another job.

TheMonkey

Territorial Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Sep 16, 2004
DFW
if there was ever a time for bowlsby to let ‘me hang would be now and go big. You gotta raid the other conferences. Raid the SEC and Get Arkansas. Go get Nebraska back and make a hard push for Arizona and Arizona state. He’s gotta go after big fish. If he doesn’t and we dink and dunk with city schools and directional schools, the big xii is a glorified American conference.. If he doesn’t go big, he might as well start looking for another job.
The pitch: wanna join our boat?

Jan 15, 2017
Enid
Wait you're going to tell me that TV money with all sports, that the pac-12 is not below us? Or are you just talking football?

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
https://www.google.com/amp/s/footba...w-much-each-power-5-conference-made-last-year

“According to documents obtained by USA Today, here is the gross revenue each Power 5 league collected:
1. Big Ten: $768.9 million
2. SEC: $728.9 million
3. Pac-12: $533.8 million
4. ACC: $496.7 million
5. Big 12: $409.2 million

Per school

1. Big Ten: $54.3 million
2. SEC: $45.5 million
3. Big 12: ~$38 million
4. Pac-12: $33.6 million
5. ACC: ~$33 million
The Big 12's numbers do not include third-tier rights such as the Longhorn Network, since each school collects those on their own.”

Jan 15, 2017
Enid
But again those numbers are irrelevant because we’re talking about a big xii conference without Texas and OU, we are going to be pulling in a lot less money overall.

Mar 30, 2005
NorCal
I'm definitely not certain on this, but I thought they relaxed that requirement a few years ago. Also related to that, didn't Nebraska lose some designation in the last few years?
Nebraska lost their AAU status the year after they joined the B1G due to something around their medical school and the type of research. Also, I believe it has been reported that had that been the case a year earlier, they would not have received an invite.