Big 12 Realignment thread, 2021 version

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

What conference would you like to see OSU join?

• ACC

• Big Ten

• PAC-12

• Expanded Big 12

• Other (please explain)

Results are only viewable after voting.
Aug 2, 2011
Because we've invested over a Billion dollars in our football and basketball programs and facilities since Boone and we're 4th in the nation in total championships in all sports. I don't support any proposal where we're not in the highest level of competition.
Exactly. We didn't build a 60 million dollar baseball stadium to play in the minor leagues

Birry

Federal Marshal
Feb 6, 2007
Landlocked
Because we've invested over a Billion dollars in our football and basketball programs and facilities since Boone and we're 4th in the nation in total championships in all sports. I don't support any proposal where we're not in the highest level of competition.
ESPN is trying to monopolize the entire system. Our total national championships are not on the radar of what matters in all of this.

Sep 8, 2014
The back 40
I live in Texas so cannot participate, but I’m generally curious how many OSU grads are in the legislature compared to OU grads. Anyone know?
Not sure, but I do know the presence of an extension office in almost every county (I think there maybe 2 that lost their offices due to cuts) gives OSU a much more important footprint than ou.

The Sooners have fans “from Cheyenne to Vian” but that support is generally, as they say, “an inch deep and a mile wide.” T-shirt fans are not invested like alumni, parents with kids in 4-H and FFA, folks who do master gardening classes, and others who interact with the university on human and environmental science issues (notice I didn’t mention Ag producers..which are part of this, but extension touches much more than farming and ranching). They fill up stadiums and watch games for sure. But when it comes to pressuring elected officials, local politics can matter and we have in the past “punched above our weight.” That’s why Boren saw the importance of partnering with OSU (notice his name is on the vet school...he was governor and a US Senator..say what you want about him, he knew politics) and Burns saw the strength of ou’s growing bio-med footprint and saw benefit in tying in with the pull of t-shirt fans as well as ou alumni (He was a political cat too).

There is a reason investment in the two schools have pretty well mirrored each other...Boren did get more aggressive on the private side (again, US Senators tend to have lots of contacts...especially one viewed nationally as an “intellectual”) but the down side is once a facility is built, you gotta keep funding it (note their budget issues). We have done our fair share too (just look at the campus..McKnight center anyone?) but now that continued revenue to support the school is up for grabs...I would propose to my legislators that the days of “ou gets a dollar, OSU gets a dollar” are over.

I want OSU to get a dollar—-ou can sell another hat at Walmart. I’ll take the appropriations. They can take a hike.

Jul 5, 2020
Broken Arrow
I respect the fact they were proactive and did what they thought was in their best interest long term from a business perspective, but that’s as far as I’ll go. Any idea they give a flip about anything that benefits OSU, partnership or not, is just misguided.

andylicious

Territorial Marshal
Nov 16, 2013
tractor
I respect the fact they were proactive and did what they thought was in their best interest long term from a business perspective, but that’s as far as I’ll go. Any idea they give a flip about anything that benefits OSU, partnership or not, is just misguided.
The goons, whorns, ESPN and SEC made a purposeful move to remove OSU and the rest of the Big XII from competing against them for subscribers. Don't salute them for their tending to their "best" interests. They want the rest of the Big XII to be Tulsa with a better history of competition. When I write "they" I mean all four entities.

Dec 20, 2015
SW OKLA
Sadly if the positions were reversed I have no doubt we would have done the same thing.

Jul 5, 2020
Broken Arrow
The goons, whorns, ESPN and SEC made a purposeful move to remove OSU and the rest of the Big XII from competing against them for subscribers. Don't salute them for their tending to their "best" interests. They want the rest of the Big XII to be Tulsa with a better history of competition. When I write "they" I mean all four entities.
I’m not saluting anyone. I just respect the fact they took action to better their own situation in a high stakes, multi-billion dollar BUSINESS, rather than taking a more passive approach like clearly Holder and Harris did. If the situation was nearly the same, except maybe we were talking about OSU and KU brokering a deal to the BIG, I suspect your opinion (if you were honest about it) would be quite different.

llcoolw

Territorial Marshal
Feb 7, 2005
Sammamish, Washington.Dallas, Texas.Maui, Hawaii
I like that. A lot. So my question is: If college ball splits into amateur and semi-pro with clear divisions between them, would you want to be in the semi pro leagues?

andylicious

Territorial Marshal
Nov 16, 2013
tractor
I’m not saluting anyone. I just respect the fact they took action to better their own situation in a high stakes, multi-billion dollar BUSINESS, rather than taking a more passive approach like clearly Holder and Harris did. If the situation was nearly the same, except maybe we were talking about OSU and KU brokering a deal to the BIG, I suspect your opinion (if you were honest about it) would be quite different.
No it wouldn't be, this is wrong. They are a freaking institution of higher learning, a state entity. This idea they are a business is incredibly wrong, the only business entity in this is ESPN. I'm sure you thought Schrum shouldn't have put our her statements either.

Jul 5, 2020
Broken Arrow
No it wouldn't be, this is wrong. They are a freaking institution of higher learning, a state entity. This idea they are a business is incredibly wrong, the only business entity in this is ESPN. I'm sure you thought Schrum shouldn't have put our her statements either.
I won’t argue with you on the subjective points, you have your opinion and I have mind. But on the point I highlighted, that is so far outside of reality it’s pathetic.

andylicious

Territorial Marshal
Nov 16, 2013
tractor
By the way, why would I not answer honestly?