Big 12 Realignment thread, 2021 version

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

What conference would you like to see OSU join?

• ACC

• Big Ten

• PAC-12

• Expanded Big 12

• Other (please explain)

Results are only viewable after voting.
Nov 18, 2011
We are on the outside and always have been in football. 2011 taught us that.
Certainly not to the level of a UCF, Boise, etc. If we join or merge a conference with them, come 5 years from now when a super league is created of the P4 conferences with 32 or 48 teams, we’ll have no chance. If we can get into one of those leagues, I think we stand a good chance of making the cut when comparing to the schools like Oregon State, Vanderbilt, Illinois, Purdue, NC State, Wake and so on.

Dec 9, 2013
What do you feel would be a reasonable timeline to be in a Power 5 (or 4?) Conference?

I feel going from initial interest to realigning with a new conference may take longer than a week.
That is a tough ? Looks like BiG and PAC12 deals expire in 24 and 23. If what one poster said earlier is true and the SEC has tier a schools negotiated into their new deal (tier a schools can be added to the sec and new TV deal and not decrease current member’s allocation of revenues and these new schools like uo/tx get an equal share whereby ESPN is coughing up more $ to get those tier a schools), I would think there is a good chance we will be right where we are w uo and TX for 3 more years. I think ESPN believes by paying more to the sec $3B deal to get the tier a schools they will offset their diminished deals to other conferences and increased ad buying or streamers.

I almost believe the new SEC Commish was counting on an expanded CFP vote to occur sometime this season or after. He would get his expansion and THEN the uo/tx deal would get announced.

Being what it is now and the BiG and PAC deals ending I think sometime in the next 2-3 yrs we see a collapse into a rebranded SEC w the addition of at least Ohio St, MI, Penn St, Oregon, USC and maybe AZ (Phoenix eyeballs even though ASU is technically the Phoenix market). I don’t know enough about Notre Dame’s internal politics to know if they would want in on this. I also think Clemson and FSU would want into this super conference.

I think we won’t know anything until the earliest next spring/summer and could be 1-2 yrs. I just don’t see how the BiG or PAC (mainly driven by Ohio St and Oregon) add anyone outside of Notre Dame or Clemson without a renegotiated TV deal w Fox. Why would either of these schools or MI or USC or anyone in the ACC take an OkSt or WVU and decrease their yearly allocation? I hope I’m wrong.

Last edited:
Dec 9, 2013
Certainly not to the level of a UCF, Boise, etc. If we join or merge a conference with them, come 5 years from now when a super league is created of the P4 conferences with 32 or 48 teams, we’ll have no chance. If we can get into one of those leagues, I think we stand a good chance of making the cut when comparing to the schools like Oregon State, Vanderbilt, Illinois, Purdue, NC State, Wake and so on.
Look. I agree. I don’t want in a revamped Big12 or the AAC w Tulsa. But if you were a school in the PAC12 or BiG w the exception of a blue blood and you only had 2 or 3 years left on your deal and you just saw what happened to the Big12 and OkSt why would you agree to take them into your current deal and take a substantial pay cut?
The only way this works is if one of the TV networks agrees to expand and extend and the blue bloods of that conf want to stay in.

And if you’re Vandy you’re gold through 2033. You’re not going anywhere wo a Brinks truck.

Nov 18, 2011
Look. I agree. I don’t want in a revamped Big12 or the AAC w Tulsa. But if you were a school in the PAC12 or BiG w the exception of a blue blood and you only had 2 or 3 years left on your deal and you just saw what happened to the Big12 and OkSt why would you agree to take them into your current deal and take a substantial pay cut?
The only way this works is if one of the TV networks agrees to expand and extend and the blue bloods of that conf want to stay in.

And if you’re Vandy you’re gold through 2033. You’re not going anywhere wo a Brinks truck.
They won’t be taking a pay cut, it will either be effective 24-25 when contacts expire, or the B12 scatters and contracts get re-negotiated to fit the new membership.

llcoolw

Territorial Marshal
Feb 7, 2005
Sammamish, Washington.Dallas, Texas.Maui, Hawaii
How many schools will just drop their programs outright? If they’re already having budget problems and have to sell their kids for whippings by the big schools, why bother to even focus on football?

This could lead to the non con games being eliminated or marquis matchups every game.

Additionally, how many fans will be turned off by student athletes being treated like pro players? How many fellow students will put up with multi millionaire athletes acting the fool or god like? Or the teachers?

Imagine the stories that are coming with 19 year olds getting a million bucks for playing a game.

I’m not sure amateur college football will survive.

Sep 9, 2013
That is a tough ? Looks like BiG and PAC12 deals expire in 24 and 23. If what one poster said earlier is true and the SEC has tier a schools negotiated into their new deal (tier a schools can be added to the sec and new TV deal and not decrease current member’s allocation of revenues and these new schools like uo/tx get an equal share whereby ESPN is coughing up more $ to get those tier a schools), I would think there is a good chance we will be right where we are w uo and TX for 3 more years. I think ESPN believes by paying more to the sec $3B deal to get the tier a schools they will offset their diminished deals to other conferences and increased ad buying or streamers.

I almost believe the new SEC Commish was counting on an expanded CFP vote to occur sometime this season or after. He would get his expansion and THEN the uo/tx deal would get announced.

Being what it is now and the BiG and PAC deals ending I think sometime in the next 2-3 yrs we see a collapse into a rebranded SEC w the addition of at least Ohio St, MI, Penn St, Oregon, USC and maybe AZ (Phoenix eyeballs even though ASU is technically the Phoenix market). I don’t know enough about Notre Dame’s internal politics to know if they would want in on this. I also think Clemson and FSU would want into this super conference.

I think we won’t know anything until the earliest next spring/summer and could be 1-2 yrs. I just don’t see how the BiG or PAC (mainly driven by Ohio St and Oregon) add anyone outside of Notre Dame or Clemson without a renegotiated TV deal w Fox. Why would either of these schools or MI or USC or anyone in the ACC take an OkSt or WVU and decrease their yearly allocation? I hope I’m wrong.

ACC will add Notre Dame. If it cant, it will add WVU and Oklahoma Sttae(although im hearing Cowboys have no interest in ACC). Why? to increase the football quality. Something Clemson and FSU will demand if they stay.

And WVU and Oklahoma State add market value and football quality better than all but a few ACC teams. In 2018 (WVU had its worst season in 20 years in 2019), WVU TV ratings were better than every ACC team not named Clemson.

WVU also adds rivalries with Pitt and VT that will draw eastern eyeballs. without ND(and ND aint joining), the acc will need to add 2 teams. And the 2 best available are WVU and Oklahoma State.

OSU125

Wrangler
Sep 2, 2014
How many schools will just drop their programs outright? If they’re already having budget problems and have to sell their kids for whippings by the big schools, why bother to even focus on football?

This could lead to the non con games being eliminated or marquis matchups every game.

Additionally, how many fans will be turned off by student athletes being treated like pro players? How many fellow students will put up with multi millionaire athletes acting the fool or god like? Or the teachers?

Imagine the stories that are coming with 19 year olds getting a million bucks for playing a game.

I wonder how many players will have eligibility issues when they are trying to juggle their team commitments, academic requirements, and now endorsement deals that will require some more of their time? Also, I can envision some locker room issues between players that have these big deals clashing with the players who do not.

Oct 29, 2016
US

It's a shame. It's a shame that most athletic programs will be history.. the number of people out of a job... hundreds of thousands of lost scholarships that will never be again...

When will people in this country stop allowing the rich and powerful to destroy every good thing for the majority and less fortunate. It's the American way, sadly.

Tulsa, for an example, will probably be the first to shut down the entire athletic department.

llcoolw

Territorial Marshal
Feb 7, 2005
Sammamish, Washington.Dallas, Texas.Maui, Hawaii
I wonder how many players will have eligibility issues when they are trying to juggle their team commitments, academic requirements, and now endorsement deals that will require some more of their time? Also, I can envision some locker room issues between players that have these big deals clashing with the players who do not.
Damn fine point. Haves and haves nots on the same team. Will I really give up my body to protect your bank account?

Jul 31, 2008
The Conference will have to come up with some reg that says something like "you can't make more than 10X the lowest paid player". Kind of sets up something like min wages. That's the only way you won't have locker room issues. And the players won't do it themselves. Just look at Bama. Did that Soph QB say "nope, I won't take a cool million unless you give my OL $100K each" ?

Sep 29, 2011
Breckenridge, CO

ACC will add Notre Dame. If it cant, it will add WVU and Oklahoma Sttae(although im hearing Cowboys have no interest in ACC). Why? to increase the football quality. Something Clemson and FSU will demand if they stay.

And WVU and Oklahoma State add market value and football quality better than all but a few ACC teams. In 2018 (WVU had its worst season in 20 years in 2019), WVU TV ratings were better than every ACC team not named Clemson.

WVU also adds rivalries with Pitt and VT that will draw eastern eyeballs. without ND(and ND aint joining), the acc will need to add 2 teams. And the 2 best available are WVU and Oklahoma State.
If OSU is indeed not interested in the ACC, it might be because of their relationship with ESPN, though I doubt OSU would tell the ACC they are not interested without another P5 landing spot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sep 29, 2006
What if the Have Not's got aggressive and started an alternate super conference of our own? Now obviously this would not be as good as entering B10, PAC12, ACC as is, but if the future is the SEC and B10 forming super conferences, the following would be a formidable option. The formation of a 30 team conference of the left overs. Each division would play 9 division games, one crossover from the other divisions, and one fluff game. Conference championship would be the three division champions plus highest ranked forth team. These are some big markets and lots of eye balls. If any of these teams went to the SEC or B10, there are alternatives.

East Division
  • Virginia
  • Virginia Tech
  • Georgia Tech
  • North Carolina
  • NC State
  • UCF
  • Duke
  • Wake Forest
  • West Virginia
  • Cincinnati
Central Division
  • Louisville
  • Iowa State
  • Kansas
  • Kansas State
  • Oklahoma State
  • Texas Tech
  • TCU
  • Baylor
  • Houston
  • Memphis
West Division
  • Washington State
  • Oregon State
  • San Diego State
  • Boise State
  • BYU
  • Arizona State
  • Colorado
  • Colorado State
  • Utah
  • Utah State
Going one step further this league could add two more teams to get to 32 (USF, SMU, other) and have four eight team Pods.

Last edited:
Sep 17, 2019
Edmond
What if the Have Not's got aggressive and started an alternate super conference of our own? Now obviously this would not be as good as entering B10, PAC12, ACC as is, but if the future is the SEC and B10 forming super conferences, the following would be a formidable option. The formation of a 30 team conference of the left overs. Each division would play 9 division games, one crossover from the other divisions, and one fluff game. Conference championship would be the three division champions plus highest ranked forth team. These are some big markets and lots of eye balls. If any of these teams went to the SEC or B10, there are alternatives.

East Division
  • Virginia
  • Virginia Tech
  • Georgia Tech
  • North Carolina
  • NC State
  • UCF
  • Duke
  • Wake Forest
  • West Virginia
  • Cincinnati
Central Division
  • Louisville
  • Iowa State
  • Kansas
  • Kansas State
  • Oklahoma State
  • Texas Tech
  • TCU
  • Baylor
  • Houston
  • Memphis
West Division
  • Washington State
  • Oregon State
  • San Diego State
  • Boise State
  • BYU
  • Arizona State
  • Colorado
  • Colorado State
  • Utah
  • Utah State
Going one step further this league could add two more teams to get to 32 (USF, SMU, other) and have four eight team Pods.

Why do people want to become this irrelevant? We've had success. This makes no sense for a successful future.

Sep 9, 2013
There isnt going to be super leagues. The PAC and BIG plus big 12 are putting a stop to that, the SEC, and ESPN.

whole premise for the SEC adding OU and Texas was expanded playoff to 12, and the SEC getting 6 teams on a regular basis. Of course when the SEC commissioner was negotiating that deal(he was 1 of 4), he was behind the backs of the other 3 plotting to add Texas and OU so the sec could make even more money off the expanded college football playoff.

That won't happen, bc it wont be done without a cap on the number of teams from each conference.

PAC and BIG are already calling for a pause on the expanded playoff talks now that Texas and OU are SEC bound.

Funny thing is OU may never be in the CFP again. If they are, they'll have to earn it beating Bama, LSU, Auburn, Georgia, and Gators.

I dont think there will be much more expansion outside of the ACC adding 2 teams to improve its football side. And adding WVU and Oklahoma State may not increase the ACC's payout per team, but it wont lower it either. The ACC deal has "lookin" windows ever so often, and the next one is this spring. So if WVU and Oklahoma State are in the ACC, ESPN is going to have to cough up more money.

Ohio State AD Wants ‘Pause’ On College Football Playoff Expansion Amid Conference Shakeups (msn.com)