Big 12 Realignment thread, 2021 version

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

What conference would you like to see OSU join?

• ACC

• Big Ten

• PAC-12

• Expanded Big 12

• Other (please explain)

Results are only viewable after voting.

OSUCowboy787

Territorial Marshal
Dec 31, 2008
Keller, Texas
It's hard to imagine what a future without traditional college football would look like. It's not something that appeals to me. When was the last time you watched a minor league baseball game??

Don't discount the massive influence ESPN has on all of these re-alignment decisions. They're just trying to create more marketable matchups to drive tv revenue each week. Texas vs. Florida is bound to attract higher viewership than Texas vs. Texas Tech, at least from football purists.

Not sure what the net long-term effect of destroying conference loyalties will be though. Feels like they're on a path that will ultimately kill college football as we know it today and replace it completely with some sort of made-for-tv product. Count me out.
They are basically ok to alienate any school deemed as a smaller market and only have schools that are in a major metro area represented. Forcing the rest of us to find a new school to root for or stop watching. They are gambling that those of us who love college football may find a 2nd team to root for in these monster conferences.

Jul 9, 2004
We finished 18th in the Director's cup and have several strong women's teams also.
while that's nice and all, FB drives this and the mother ship. what market do we bring to the table in FB? ou brings a national audience. plus tx, ok, ks, etc. why divvy up the small okla. market by adding osu?

Aug 2, 2016
Oklahoma City
Buddy sent me this. Said it’s from some MOD on texags
“Texas doesn't get in? Going to be an interesting couple of days when it comes to politics in Texas and Oklahoma. I think we'll hear some reports coming out of Austin that make this thing look exponentially more difficult for the Longhorns and Sooners to get out. A&M, Baylor, TCU, Tech and Oklahoma State represent a hell of a lot of resistance and the Longhorn Governor is about to REALLY feel that pressure.”

Aug 2, 2016
Oklahoma City
https://twitter.com/billyliucci/status/1418284060380733440?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1418284060380733440%7Ctwgr%5E%7Ctwcon%5Es1_c10&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Ftexags.com%2Fforums%2F25%2Ftopics%2F3210886%2F3

Jul 31, 2008
Buddy sent me this. Said it’s from some MOD on texags
“Texas doesn't get in? Going to be an interesting couple of days when it comes to politics in Texas and Oklahoma. I think we'll hear some reports coming out of Austin that make this thing look exponentially more difficult for the Longhorns and Sooners to get out. A&M, Baylor, TCU, Tech and Oklahoma State represent a hell of a lot of resistance and the Longhorn Governor is about to REALLY feel that pressure.”
So refresh my memory. When A&M wanted to leave in 2012, was uT, TTU, Baylor and OSU against it ? And they left anyway. Hard to see where if uT wants to go the legislature is going to pull together and say "no"

Jonkr06

Territorial Marshal
Aug 18, 2007
Katy, TX
It's hard to imagine what a future without traditional college football would look like. It's not something that appeals to me. When was the last time you watched a minor league baseball game??

Don't discount the massive influence ESPN has on all of these re-alignment decisions. They're just trying to create more marketable matchups to drive tv revenue each week. Texas vs. Florida is bound to attract higher viewership than Texas vs. Texas Tech, at least from football purists.

Not sure what the net long-term effect of destroying conference loyalties will be though. Feels like they're on a path that will ultimately kill college football as we know it today and replace it completely with some sort of made-for-tv product. Count me out.
They are basically ok to alienate any school deemed as a smaller market and only have schools that are in a major metro area represented. Forcing the rest of us to find a new school to root for or stop watching. They are gambling that those of us who love college football may find a 2nd team to root for in these monster conferences.
Which is, of course, asinine. Why anyone would root for a college team they were not directly affiliated with is bizarre to me.

Aug 2, 2016
Oklahoma City
So refresh my memory. When A&M wanted to leave in 2012, was uT, TTU, Baylor and OSU against it ? And they left anyway. Hard to see where if uT wants to go the legislature is going to pull together and say "no"
yes, but the only reason they allowed it was because the big12 was staying together and they still had a conference. OU and Texas leaving completely destroys the conference.

Aug 19, 2006
Well, Texas vs anyone gets alot of views. Florida vs anyone gets alot of views.
I'd think you get more by showing Texas-TTU and Florida-Central Florida than you do for a single Texas-Florida game.
Only in those respective markets. ESPN wants to create matchups that will attract national audiences. And avoid the Missouri vs. Vanderbilt matchups that no one is interested in watching.

Seems like SEC/ESPN would eventually want to cull out Missouri, Vandy and maybe even Arky. They don't attract a lot of viewers outside of their respective fan bases. Kentucky is saved by their basketball program.

Aug 19, 2006
That's a bad bet, at least as far as I'm concerned. I've been a college football fanatic for almost 50 years but only because of my passion for OSU. Take that out of the equation, I can find plenty of other things to do on my Saturday afternoons.

Aug 8, 2015
Ponca City
That's a bad bet, at least as far as I'm concerned. I've been a college football fanatic for almost 50 years but only because of my passion for OSU. Take that out of the equation, I can find plenty of other things to do on my Saturday afternoons.
Yup, once this whole thing shakes out. If the B12 doesn’t stay put, or we don’t end up in PAC, B10 or ACC, I’m not sure how big of a CFB fan I could be. I couldn’t get excited to watch/buy tickets to see the Pokes play in a watered down conference without a realistic route to the NCG. Not after our success the last decades.

SLVRBK

Johnny 8ball's PR Manager
Staff
A/V Subscriber
Oct 16, 2003
Katy, TX
Only in those respective markets. ESPN wants to create matchups that will attract national audiences. And avoid the Missouri vs. Vanderbilt matchups that no one is interested in watching.

Seems like SEC/ESPN would eventually want to cull out Missouri, Vandy and maybe even Arky. They don't attract a lot of viewers outside of their respective fan bases. Kentucky is saved by their basketball program.
SEC Network presented a 4 team pod alignment on their morning show
A: Florida, Georgia, Kentucky & South Carolina
B: Alabama, Auburn, Tennessee & Vandy
C: LSU, Miss, Miss St & A&M
D: UT, OU, Arky & Mizzou

play all 3 in your pod and 2 from the other pods, that would keep the Vandy v Mizzou game on SEC Network

Jun 28, 2011
Auburndale, Florida
True, but the Big 10 doesn't like ag schools.
I am pretty sure that every school in the Big 10 is an ag school.

Here is a rankings of the best ag schools in the WORLD

"The University of Wisconsin was ranked 7th, followed by Michigan State University at 8th and Purdue University in 9th place.
Other Midwest schools ranked for the world’s best ag and forestry programs include Iowa State at 13th, University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign 21st, Ohio State 30th, the University of Minnesota and Nebraska tied for 37th, and the University of Missouri was in the top 100"

OstatePokes

Territorial Marshal
Aug 24, 2007
Knoxville, Tennessee
As others have said, I think the best case scenario for OSU is that the whole conference structure blows up and we get invited to a 64-team league. If OU and UT go to the SEC, schools like USC and Ohio State might feel more pressure to tear apart the SEC. Hopefully the end result includes us. Right now there are several potential outcomes that would really hurt OSU.