Big 12 Basketball Pre-season Ranks

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Sep 23, 2010
1) Kansas
2) Texas
3) Baylor
4) Tech
T-5) OSU
T-5) W Virginia
7) OU
8) TCU
9) K State
10) I State

Reasonable. I think we will be in that 4 spot over Tech. I like our guard play, depth and experience. Top 3 are on a different tier with their talent accumulation, although I think Baylor is in closer reach. The haul Texas made in the portal was something crazy. Kansas has experience and good portal players.

My biggest concern for this coming year is Boynton experiments with line ups early, trying to keep everyone happy. And it takes us a too long for guys to settle in their roles. Can't worry about hurting feelings once the season starts.

Dec 2, 2008
SC
1) Kansas
2) Texas
3) Baylor
4) Tech
T-5) OSU
T-5) W Virginia
7) OU
8) TCU
9) K State
10) I State

Reasonable. I think we will be in that 4 spot over Tech. I like our guard play, depth and experience. Top 3 are on a different tier with their talent accumulation, although I think Baylor is in closer reach. The haul Texas made in the portal was something crazy. Kansas has experience and good portal players.

My biggest concern for this coming year is Boynton experiments with line ups early, trying to keep everyone happy. And it takes us a too long for guys to settle in their roles. Can't worry about hurting feelings once the season starts.
I’m curious to see how well and how long it takes for Texass to mesh as a team.

Sep 23, 2010
I thought we would have gotten a bit more respect.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Top 3 is understandable. But Tech doesn't make sense to me. We return 7 of our top 8. They lost more players than we did. We both added quality talent in the portal and transfers. They lost their coach and we were better than them a year ago.

Apr 12, 2020
Stillwater
I thought we would have gotten a bit more respect.

Top 3 is understandable. But Tech doesn't make sense to me. We return 7 of our top 8. They lost more players than we did. We both added quality talent in the portal and transfers. They lost their coach and we were better than them a year ago.
Distracted by the flash of the Obanor addition.

Nov 6, 2010
I kinda feel that way about Baylor. They act like they're not going to miss those 3 phenomenal guards.

Sep 23, 2010
I kinda feel that way about Baylor. They act like they're not going to miss those 3 phenomenal guards.
I think we are in the mix with Baylor. They got Mayer (who has NBA potential) and Flagler back. Got a couple nice transfers and three good freshman. It makes sense to give them the benefit of the doubt after the last two seasons.

Nov 6, 2010
I think we are in the mix with Baylor. They got Mayer (who has NBA potential) and Flagler back. Got a couple nice transfers and three good freshman. It makes sense to give them the benefit of the doubt after the last two seasons.
Is Flagler one of the three guards I'm thinking about?? I know there was Butler, then the shorter one that was so good off the dribble, but I don't remember the third. I think Mayer benefitted from those guys on the floor. He's a good piece on a good team, but not sure he'll be as productive next year, guess we'll see.

Dec 9, 2013
1) Kansas
2) Texas
3) Baylor
4) Tech
T-5) OSU
T-5) W Virginia
7) OU
8) TCU
9) K State
10) I State

This is a guarantee to happen. We will see minutes spread way out w no set rotation. Then we open conference play w a tough slate. This does not bode well for trying to get out of the blocks fast.

I also worry about shot selection and our ability to keep driving lanes open by having spot up knock downs from 3. For all the things Cade was he was also our best 3 pt shooter (I realize Ice had the highest % but do we really want him taking more 3s) when you take into account %, # of makes & when he made them. This team will have to get its points in transition or secondary transition. If we get forced into sets it might be tough to get easy buckets consistently.

Dec 9, 2013
Agreed. They could be really good, but if things go sideways they could fall apart.
I thought the same thing, but 3 things work in their favor. Ramey is a sr guard who has had to share the backcourt and ball w high caliber players. Jones is back and should be even better health/mental wise. His toughness w what he’s been through bodes well for team chemistry. 3rd is they have one of the best coaches in the country who forces discipline. Beard should be a beast of a coach at TX.

Nov 6, 2010
I thought the same thing, but 3 things work in their favor. Ramey is a sr guard who has had to share the backcourt and ball w high caliber players. Jones is back and should be even better health/mental wise. His toughness w what he’s been through bodes well for team chemistry. 3rd is they have one of the best coaches in the country who forces discipline. Beard should be a beast of a coach at TX.
Did their big men come back?? Was it Brown and Sims?

OstatePokes

Territorial Marshal
Aug 24, 2007
Knoxville, Tennessee
Yeah Beard could be scary in Austin. I’m hoping it takes a few years for the players to adjust to his style.

Mar 27, 2008
https://www.cbssports.com/college-b...ncludes-with-top-68-teams-for-2021-22-season/

"26. Oklahoma State: The Cowboys lost the 2021 No. 1 NBA pick, Cade Cunningham, but I don't think this team is falling off all that much. In fact, there's a reasonable chance it could be a better unit in 2022. That's because Mike Boynton retained 12 players (80% of the team's minutes), then brought on former five-star recruits Bryce Thompson (Kansas) and Moussa Cisse (Memphis) to bolster his roster. This is a clear-cut NCAA Tournament team again, but I want to see if the Pokes can be smart with their shot selection. I get the feeling a lot of guys are going to be hungry for touches. The biggest names back are Avery Anderson III -- who should have a breakout season -- and Isaac Likekele, who'll pick up some of what Cunningham left behind. I'd go so far as to say this is the dark horse of the Big 12."

Mar 27, 2008
I'm sure you know fan support and home court environment can swing games. Tech just set a school record for season tickets sold for next season. Their school and fans are all in. Wins are not going to be easy in Lubbock next year, inferior talent or not.