Biden waives ethics rules for former union bosses who now work in White House

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Cimarron

It's not dying I'm talking about, it's living.
Jun 28, 2007
The Biden administration has come under scrutiny from Republicans on Capitol Hill following its decision to circumvent federal ethics rules and staff former union officials in senior posts.

Beginning as early as March, the White House waived certain rules for former labor union personnel slotted to fill Biden’s transition teams and government vacancies, who would have otherwise been prevented from communicating with their old unions.

Senior official in the Office of Personnel Management (OPM), Alethea Predeoux, was granted a waiver to allow her to facilitate communication between the government agency and the American Federation of Government Employees – a union representing 700,000 federal workers for whom she was formally a top lobbyist, Axios first reported.

In April, the White House issued a similar waiver, allowing for Celeste Drake, who was tapped to lead the White House Made In America Office, to communicate with her former employers, the Director’s Guild of America and the American Federation of Labor and Congress of Industrial Organizations (AFL-CIO).

The administration has said these are necessary moves to facilitate liaisons between government agencies and labor unions.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/bi...rmer-union-bosses-who-now-work-in-white-house

Why have ethics rules at all if they're simply going to be ignored?

Jun 14, 2011
The Biden administration has come under scrutiny from Republicans on Capitol Hill following its decision to circumvent federal ethics rules and staff former union officials in senior posts.

Beginning as early as March, the White House waived certain rules for former labor union personnel slotted to fill Biden’stransition teams and government vacancies, who would have otherwise been prevented from communicating with their old unions.

Senior official in the Office of Personnel Management (OPM), Alethea Predeoux, was granted a waiver to allow her to facilitate communication between the government agency and the American Federation of Government Employees – a union representing 700,000 federal workers for whom she was formally a top lobbyist, Axios first reported.

In April, the White House issued a similar waiver, allowing for Celeste Drake, who was tapped to lead the White House Made In America Office, to communicate with her former employers, the Director’s Guild of America and the American Federation of Labor and Congress of Industrial Organizations (AFL-CIO).

The administration has said these are necessary moves to facilitate liaisons between government agencies and labor unions.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/bi...rmer-union-bosses-who-now-work-in-white-house

Why have ethics rules at all if they're simply going to be ignored?
1620667453661.png

Jul 31, 2008
So if the 2 year waiting period wasn't a good standard, why was it included ?

"we only break ethic rules that we don't feel are a big deal . . . . "

CowboyJD

The Voice of Reason...occasionally......rarely
A/V Subscriber
Dec 10, 2004
One of the worst things to come out of Trump being president is the sheer number of people who are now willing to ignore almost any corruption strictly because it's not Trump.
One of the other worst things to come out of Trump being President is the sheer number of people who were willing to ignore any corruption strictly because it was Trump that have now become corruption "watchdogs" that seemingly think we should take them seriously.

Last edited:
Mar 11, 2006
One of the other worst things to come out of Trump being President is the sheer number of people who were willing to ignore any corruption strictly because it was Trump that have now become corruption "watchdogs" that seemingly thing we should take them seriously.
So it is ”one of the worst things” that people now want their government to be ethical? Interesting take.

Maybe “interesting” or “hypocritical” for people ignoring past ethic issues but are not interested, but pushing our leaders to be more ethical is not a bad thing.

CowboyJD

A/V Subscriber
Dec 10, 2004
So it is ”one of the worst things” that people now want their government to be ethical? Interesting take.

Maybe “interesting” or “hypocritical” for people ignoring past ethic issues but are not interested, but pushing our leaders to be more ethical is not a bad thing.
Yes, people that base their ethical desires for government directly upon whether their team are in power is one of the worst things about today’s politics.

Absolutely, without a doubt.

It’s not like the Trumpers now whining are sudden ethical converts that have seen the light of their past error. They are perfectly fine with corruption...as long as it’s their guy.

Last edited:

CocoCincinnati

Federal Marshal
Feb 7, 2007
Tulsa, OK
One of the other worst things to come out of Trump being President is the sheer number of people who were willing to ignore any corruption strictly because it was Trump that have now become corruption "watchdogs" that seemingly think we should take them seriously.
Just because some people might be hypocrites doesn't mean corruption isn't happening. Can we not call out the hypocrites AND the corruption? Or does the former preclude the latter? Trump is no longer president, he is now officially whataboutism when used to defend Biden. Right?

CowboyJD

A/V Subscriber
Dec 10, 2004
Just because some people might be hypocrites doesn't mean corruption isn't happening. Can we not call out the hypocrites AND the corruption? Or does the former preclude the latter? Trump is no longer president, he is now officially whataboutism when used to defend Biden. Right?
No, not right. It’s not whataboutism at all. And I’m not using anything to defend Biden. I’m not even defending Biden.

And I never said corruption isn’t happening.

I’m merely saying that if you (generic you, not specific you) were good with Trump corruption, I’m not going to take you seriously when you whine about supposed corruption now.

That’s it. That’s all.

I mean, I merely mirrored your comment about Left hypocrites being okay with alleged corruption being “the worst” with a statement that right hypocrites being okay with past alleged corruption suddenly being concerned now that their guy isn’t in power as also “the worst”....and you seem to have a problem with that. I gotta wonder why.

If you (again, general....not specific) were here corruption watchdogging with repeated posts while Trump was in the office and are continuing to do so, by all means continue now that someone else is in office.

But if you were here dismissing and defending corruption by Trump with “everybody does it” or other similar nonsense, you can gtfoh with a sudden conversion....I’m not giving it any credence.

Mar 11, 2006
Yes, people that base their ethical desires for government directly upon whether their team are in power is one of the worst things about today’s politics.

It’s not like the Trumpers now whining are sudden ethical converts that have seen the light of their past error. They are perfectly fine with corruption...as long as it’s their guy.
Today’s politics? :)

If you believe that people choosing ethical standards based on which team is in power started with Trump...then I think it may be obvious which team you are on...or you are being incredibly naive on this subject.

This is not new.

Oct 7, 2008

If any Democrat were to get "You didn't care when Trump did it." tattooed on their foreheads for the next four years I'm not sure I would blame them. That guy had at least 20 scandals that would have taken down previous Presidents/Presidential candidates and Republicans cared a lick about none of them. It's the same reason we've got Republican Qanon members in Congress who cheered on the people that stormed the Capitol and another Republican who paid to diddle an underage girl still on the judiciary committee. The party is so far gone literally none of it matters.

CowboyJD

A/V Subscriber
Dec 10, 2004
Today’s politics? :)

If you believe that people choosing ethical standards based on which team is in power started with Trump...then I think it may be obvious which team you are on...or you are being incredibly naive on this subject.

This is not new.
I didn’t say it was new. I didn’t say it started with Trump.

So....a pivot and dodge from an “everybody does it” guy.

Followed by a strawman, a “they started it”, and an ad hominem.

An impressively unprincipled......though not unexpected.....move.

Bye.

Kudos.

Last edited:
Mar 11, 2006
I didn’t say it was new. I didn’t say it started with Trump.

So....a pivot and dodge from an “everybody does it” guy.

Followed by a strawman, a “they started it”, and an ad hominem.

An impressively unprincipled......though not unexpected.....move.

Bye.

Kudos.
Nice flip.

So if you admit it is not new, why claim hypocritical or inconsistent actions came “from Trump being President”?

Amazing the backflips some people will perform to justify their team.

CocoCincinnati

Federal Marshal
Feb 7, 2007
Tulsa, OK
any Democrat were to get "You didn't care when Trump did it." tattooed on their foreheads for the next four years I'm not sure I would blame them.
Why not? If people are giving the current president a pass because of what a past president did, you should absolutely call them out on it. Would you blame Republicans for getting a tattoo that said "you didn't care when Obama or Clinton did it"? Of course you would and you should.

CowboyJD

A/V Subscriber
Dec 10, 2004
Nice flip.

So if you admit it is not new, why claim hypocritical or inconsistent actions came “from Trump being President”?

:derp::blink::derp::blink::derp::blink::derp::blink:

I didn't claim hypocritical or inconsistent actions originated with "Trump being President", you dope.

I mirrored Coco's post that claimed the worst thing that came "from Trump being President" was hypocritical lefties that no longer care about ethics now that Biden is in office and pointed out that Trumpies that didn't care about ethics when he was President suddenly converting to ethics watchdogs are equally hypocritical and bad.

I didn't even vote for Biden. I haven't defended Biden. I merely pointed out that the hypocrites abound on both sides of the aisle and that I'm not gonna take a Trumpers sudden ethics conversion now that he's out of office with anything but a mountain of salt.

So keep blackflipping and strawmanning to justify your team and its miraculous and sudden concern about governmental ethics.....I know it's a sham, though.

Last edited:

CowboyJD

A/V Subscriber
Dec 10, 2004
Nice flip.

Cim likes this.

:derp:

Mar 11, 2006
No, not right. It’s not whataboutism at all. And I’m not using anything to defend Biden. I’m not even defending Biden.

And I never said corruption isn’t happening.

I’m merely saying that if you (generic you, not specific you) were good with Trump corruption, I’m not going to take you seriously when you whine about supposed corruption now.

That’s it. That’s all.

I mean, I merely mirrored your comment about Left hypocrites being okay with alleged corruption being “the worst” with a statement that right hypocrites being okay with past alleged corruption suddenly being concerned now that their guy isn’t in power as also “the worst”....and you seem to have a problem with that. I gotta wonder why.

If you (again, general....not specific) were here corruption watchdogging with repeated posts while Trump was in the office and are continuing to do so, by all means continue now that someone else is in office.

But if you were here dismissing and defending corruption by Trump with “everybody does it” or other similar nonsense, you can gtfoh with a sudden conversion....I’m not giving it any credence.
”older school” likes this.;)