Biden taps VP Harris to handle Southern Border Crisis

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Boomer.....

Territorial Marshal
Feb 15, 2007
OKC
Harris this week called the situation at the border “a huge problem.”

Beyond the short-term challenges, Harris will work to strengthen diplomatic ties with Mexico, El Salvador, Honduras and Guatemala to address the root causes of the region’s migrant problems, senior administration officials said.
Oh, now it's a huge problem. At least they're finally acknowledging it after Biden's immigration policies practically invited them over.

CocoCincinnati

Federal Marshal
Feb 7, 2007
Tulsa, OK
"Beyond the short-term challenges, Harris will work to strengthen diplomatic ties with Mexico, El Salvador, Honduras and Guatemala to address the root causes of the region’s migrant problems, senior administration officials said."

I read this as: "we are going to give lots of money to the governing officials of these countries and for some reason expect different results than the first dozen times we tried it"

Binman4OSU

Legendary Cowboy
Aug 31, 2007
Stupid about AGW!!
"Beyond the short-term challenges, Harris will work to strengthen diplomatic ties with Mexico, El Salvador, Honduras and Guatemala to address the root causes of the region’s migrant problems, senior administration officials said."

I read this as: "we are going to give lots of money to the governing officials of these countries and for some reason expect different results than the first dozen times we tried it"
Heck. We did this in Dec 2018.

the State Department said it was “committing $5.8 billion through public and private investment to promote institutional reforms and development in the Northern Triangle.”
But the bulk of that money came from the Overseas Private Investment Corporation (OPIC) which offers loan guarantees to U.S. companies seeking invest in the region, and is designed to make money for the government in the form of interest on the loans. The State department said more than $1 billion had already been invested since 2017.
It added that OPIC “could” invest up to $2.5 billion more in this region “if commercially viable projects are identified.” Another $2 billion was identified for projects in southern Mexico.
Another $320 million announced on Tuesday was already approved for infrastructure, education and governance projects El Salvador, Guatemala and Honduras. It also included $1.8 billion in already disbursed U.S. funds between 2015 and 2018 for El Salvador, Guatemala, and Honduras.

The State Department said the Trump Administration was requesting an additional $180 million in bilateral assistance for the region in its 2019 request,

Jul 23, 2018
USA
https://twitter.com/cnnbrk/status/1374791489214091267
This administration has no plans to stem jack freakin' squat. Chuck seems to be the only person on the planet who doesn't understand he has incentivized this disaster. Maybe they could reach some kind of a deal with Mexico wherein asylum claimants could remain in Mexico until their case is processed. Maybe they could finish the wall, especially the parts already paid for. Maybe they could...like George Costanza do the opposite of everything they think is right.

gogetumpoke

Banned
Banned
Sep 3, 2010
The border situation is probably our biggest problem right now and this administration is ill equipped to handle it. It certainly appears that they want an open border and now they are seeing what everyone with a half of a brain already knew. At this point we don’t have a border and Harris will only make it worse. We need to quit referring to Sloppy Joe as POTUS because at this point he is nothing more than an empty suit. But hey, no mean tweets!

Mar 11, 2006
NBC News reported there are 16K unaccompanied minors at the border facilities. That is an unbelievable number. There has to be incredible logistics to house and feed them.

Not a lot of simple answers. If you turn minors away, where do you send them? If you allow them in, do we add to the already enormous cost to US taxpayers? Estimates for taking care of just the 16K currently at the border until they are 18 years of age is $5B. And that is just the ones there right now.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
The border situation is probably our biggest problem right now and this administration is ill equipped to handle it. It certainly appears that they want an open border and now they are seeing what everyone with a half of a brain already knew. At this point we don’t have a border and Harris will only make it worse. We need to quit referring to Sloppy Joe as POTUS because at this point he is nothing more than an empty suit. But hey, no mean tweets!
I love ya man, but we do have a border and that is why we are holding illegal immigrants at it. If we had no boarder there would be no process and no holding of migrants...my only hope is that they do NOT take that route (i.e. no / open border). The fact that we face a crisis at the boarder is because the USA, even with our issues, is an attractive place to live (not a bad thing)...However, I do agree that liberal talking points likely caused this surge because the migrants likely felt they would be admitted without due process because of the POTUS change and the dangerous open boarder rhetoric of the left in recent times. That rhetoric was clearly BS to many of us because all it displayed was a complete lack of understanding of the problem, sprinkled with contempt for equity, due process, the rule of law, and fairness to citizens in USA and a misunderstanding of, and respect for, the overall culture. Very few want to discriminate against people fleeing difficulty in other lands, however, we have to protect the nation from unmitigated illegal immigration / migration due to it's effects on the populace, crime rates, and just overall stress on the system. This doesn't mean it's not allowed, only that it's monitored, processed legally and carefully in order to keep the nation and other migrants safe. Bottom-line, all sides need to work together to improve and correct the systems we use in order to avoid the types of crisis we are having now and have periodically with this issue.

Last edited:

wrenhal

Federal Marshal
Aug 11, 2011

None of that money or aid is seen by the people in those countries.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

gogetumpoke

Banned
Banned
Sep 3, 2010
I love ya man, but we do have a border and that is why we are holding illegal immigrants at it. If we had no boarder there would be no process and no holding of migrants...my only hope is that they do NOT take that route (i.e. no / open border). The fact that we face a crisis at the boarder is because the USA, even with our issues, is an attractive place to live (not a bad thing)...However, I do agree that liberal talking points likely caused this surge because the migrants likely felt they would be admitted without due process because of the POTUS change and the dangerous open boarder rhetoric of the left in recent times. That rhetoric was clearly BS to many of us because all it displayed was a complete lack of understanding of the problem, sprinkled with contempt for equity, due process, the rule of law, and fairness to citizens in USA and a misunderstanding of, and respect for, the overall culture. Very few want to discriminate against people fleeing difficulty in other lands, however, we have to protect the nation from unmitigated illegal immigration / migration due to it's effects on the populace, crime rates, and just overall stress on the system. This doesn't mean it's not allowed, only that it's monitored, processed legally and carefully in order to keep the nation and other migrants safe. Bottom-line, all sides need to work together to improve and correct the systems we use in order to avoid the types of crisis we are having now and have periodically with this issue.
My statement that we have no border is obviously an exaggeration. Maybe extremely porous would be a more accurate description. The fact remains that the situation at the border is definitely a result of the change in administration and an implied invite to come. My son-in-law is Mexican and he and my daughter are foster parents who recently (in the last month) hosted an 8 year old girl from Ecuador that had been (by design) separated from her mother and sent across the border in a van with seven adult males. The situation took several weeks to resolve and the mother and child are currently in New York state and out of the system and completely undocumented. The mother crossed separately and was not heard from for two weeks, the daughter assumed her mother was dead. My opinion is that they would not have attempted this under the previous administration and the mother said as much. God only knows what that little girl went through. It's a tragedy and the saddest part is that it is unnecessary. The democrats put Harris in charge so Sleepy Joe won't have to answer questions about it if he ever gets trapped into a position where he has to actually answer questions from the press. It is a travesty.

Jun 4, 2014
Dallas, TX
Can we bus them to DC? That was my dad's suggestion lol.

In all seriousness, it is a serious problem I have direct experience with. We have a family ranch 4 miles from the border, and constantly see people roaming through the country. And unfortunately, you never know if they are from cartels or people actually seeking asylum. Any time I'm out there, you better believe I come locked and loaded. Not out of malice, but out of pure protection. True story, walked into the ranch house one time to find that they had broken in and started a camp fire out of the floor boards.