Better start looking for a Sept 3rd opponent...

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
May 4, 2011
Charleston, SC
There will not be any replacements.
If B1G and PAC12 go this route, I'd expect basically everyone to follow suit, at least at first. Small conference schools are about to lose a lot of money from getting paid to play these games. Eventually, I still think everyone delays all or most of the season until winter/spring. The chaos of trying to find/justify four teams for the playoff will be another massive challenge here.

Apr 12, 2020
Stillwater
If B1G and PAC12 go this route, I'd expect basically everyone to follow suit, at least at first. Small conference schools are about to lose a lot of money from getting paid to play these games. Eventually, I still think everyone delays all or most of the season until winter/spring. The chaos of trying to find/justify four teams for the playoff will be another massive challenge here.
Doubt it. It’s an easier decision for the Big 10 and even the PAC 12 because they have more schools. Even the PAC will just do a round robin to get to 11 and then do a home and home with the main rival. We’d have to repeat 3 schools. We also don’t face the downside of playing an area that’s got laxer covid laws then us cuz... well there isn’t really anyone. There’s no downside to us trying schedule the ACC, SEC, & Notre Dame.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Apr 12, 2020
Stillwater
Doubt it. It’s an easier decision for the Big 10 and even the PAC 12 because they have more schools. Even the PAC will just do a round robin to get to 11 and then do a home and home with the main rival. We’d have to repeat 3 schools. We also don’t face the downside of playing an area that’s got laxer covid laws then us cuz... well there isn’t really anyone. There’s no downside to us trying schedule the ACC, SEC, & Notre Dame.

It might be a better argument to say that the SEC and ACC do it as bigger conferences then we basically don’t have anyone left to play. But tbh, the SEC wouldn’t go for this because non-con dominance is a huge part of there branding and it’s key to the chance of them getting 2 playoff spots. The ACC is so spread out that they are going to have travel restrictions in their own conference with New York putting South Carolina on their no travel list, so i can’t see them doing it either. Notre Dame is just going to need a full schedule.

pokes16

Territorial Marshal
Oct 16, 2003
Tulsa
It might be a better argument to say that the SEC and ACC do it as bigger conferences then we basically don’t have anyone left to play. But tbh, the SEC wouldn’t go for this because non-con dominance is a huge part of there branding and it’s key to the chance of them getting 2 playoff spots. The ACC is so spread out that they are going to have travel restrictions in their own conference with New York putting South Carolina on their no travel list, so i can’t see them doing it either. Notre Dame is just going to need a full schedule.

The NY thing would only effect Syracuse and Clemson.

May 4, 2011
Charleston, SC

We're the only conference that fully needs a non con schedule. Every other conference can do almost exactly what you proposed and potentially make more money per game by expanding the conference slate. It gives everyone a lot more flexibility in postponing games a ton, even potentially reaching into January and February.

May 4, 2011
Charleston, SC

There's the sincere question of how Syracuse gets around this at all. Depending on who gets added to the NY quarantine list, it could easily affect 7 of their scheduled games (Clemson, FSU, NC State, Wake Forest, Liberty, Ga Tech, and Louisville). That's on top of the already cancelled Rutgers game.

Apr 12, 2020
Stillwater
The NY thing would only effect Syracuse and Clemson.
And Florida State
North Carolina is looking like it’s about to get added since they are looking to open up more. That’s 4 more schools, and then how far behind is Georgia? Will Massachusetts do the same as NY and cause Boston College issues? The ACC is in a very tentative position.

Apr 12, 2020
Stillwater

We're the only conference that fully needs a non con schedule. Every other conference can do almost exactly what you proposed and potentially make more money per game by expanding the conference slate. It gives everyone a lot more flexibility in postponing games a ton, even potentially reaching into January and February.
There seems to be little safety advantage to it since both areas are the most limited on covid precautions.

So if it’s down to football reasons, I honestly don’t think the SEC will do it since having a non-con essentially eliminates the opportunity for a conference to get 2 playoff teams. Money-wise I think some of non-con match ups would be bigger draws than finding unplayed match ups in conference. Especially if you include the ACC in that, they could really use Clemson having a big regular season game to draw eyes and most of the in-conference match ups don’t provide that.

Oct 16, 2003
Edmond, OK
I doubt replacement games will happen because I doubt the Big-12 plays nonconference games, however...

* Florida Atlantic just got dropped by Minnesota for a Sept 3rd game.
* Northern Iowa just got dropped by Iowa for a Sept 5th game.

Either of those would make viable replacement games for Oregon St.

Apr 12, 2020
Stillwater
I doubt replacement games will happen because I doubt the Big-12 plays nonconference games, however...

Ooooooor we could play Bama in AT&T

Poke4Christ

Federal Marshal
Aug 2, 2005
Edmond, OK
I'm calling it right now. The stuff going down today is the beginning of the dominos falling just like in March. I think the college football season gets postponed by the end of next week at the latest. More likely by the end of this weekend.

Poke4Christ

Federal Marshal
Aug 2, 2005
Edmond, OK

By viable you mean warm bodies willing to take the field? We need at least a high mid-major to replace a power 5 team. Even a weak one like OrSt. BYU would seem like a better option if we had to go there. They just got dropped in 5 games.

poknround

Banned
Banned
Oct 25, 2009
Wabashaw, WI
No college football this year....mark it down. And likely no sports at all. The next steps will be how many colleges will drop non revenue sports altogether? And then, how many colleges will go under due to low overall budgets in the first place.