Bedlam Baseball

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Oct 30, 2007
You can certainly hear the frustration in Josh's voice but we can't act like this is a game of bounces. We're losing due to fundamental issues that were evident 6 weeks ago and haven't been corrected. There have been red flags with our offense for 2 years including the partial season last year. Walton continues to make the same mistakes. You add injuries and you've got a team that might not make the tournament.
the fundamental issues were apparent years ago not weeks. Time to put Josh on the hot seat, turn it around and make a super regional or terminate his employment.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Aug 9, 2011
Perry, OK
He’s just a broken record..but honestly, what can you say at this point.
I would at least like to hear some fire in Josh! He is becoming like Pat Jones. I want to hear him say what we did the last few days and weeks is not acceptable and we need to figure out what nine guys want to come out here and compete. I want to hear that stuff from him. Not the same ole same ole!

Mar 17, 2006
Edmond, Ok
I would at least like to hear some fire in Josh! He is becoming like Pat Jones. I want to hear him say what we did the last few days and weeks is not acceptable and we need to figure out what nine guys want to come out here and compete. I want to hear that stuff from him. Not the same ole same ole!
I agree. That's what I want to hear from any coach after their team loses a game they shouldn't. I want to hear that they are tired of losing and working their butt off to fix what's wrong. Josh just doesn't do that.

Nov 23, 2010
Vermont
As long as the “Corndog” philosophy continues with keeping the same players in the lineup who fail to produce in the box and in the field, week after week, it will be 0-2 and barbecue in the tournament. Worst part, I don’t see much fire or pride with the team.

Herecomesbullets

Territorial Marshal
Nov 14, 2010
When kids lose confidence this is how it looks.

It looks lethargic, scared, lost, confused etc...

It doesn't mean they don't care, it just means that they are lost at that moment.

Instead of playing to win, they start hoping not to fail.

When quarterbacks throw interceptions they hesitate and look slow in their decision making and thus look lethargic.

When shooters miss a bunch of shots they hesitate, don't come off the screens as hard because they aren't as excited about shooting etc....

Josh has his hands full

He needs to build a big foxhole and find out who wants to jump in.

No one has a magic wand, so these kids just needs to start digging in and trying to scrap an claw their way out of this bad mojo.

Those suggesting some philosophical changes are correct I think.

We need to strike out less and our pitching staff needs to be more stable than it has been in the recent years.

We need to recruit guys with flat swings that hit line drives instead of recruiting guys with an upward plane that look pretty but swing and miss a bunch.

Our pitchers need to throw more strikes. We have to lead the world in 3 ball counts.

We have to get away from relying so much on effective Velocity and start relying more on attackingv the zone and playing the odds.

Those are the things I'd like to see changed.

But......Those suggesting that Josh's job is anywhere close to even starting to have a warm seat are way, way off.

Last edited:

VaPoke

Greenhorn
Oct 14, 2013
Washington DC
Now talking about how well they have finished the last several years in the Big12.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My concern is Josh may be somewhat content with his accomplishments. I want a coach that is hungry and has high expectations of the team he "owns". I want a coach that wants to compete on a national level, not doing "pretty good" in the conference. Josh is in charge of the coaching and recruiting...needs to fix things.
I guess this is hard to watch for followers like me that went to OSU in the 80's.

SanditeCowboy

Territorial Marshal
Jan 11, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Now talking about how well they have finished the last several years in the Big12.

My concern is Josh may be somewhat content with his accomplishments. I want a coach that is hungry and has high expectations of the team he "owns". I want a coach that wants to compete on a national level, not doing "pretty good" in the conference. Josh is in charge of the coaching and recruiting...needs to fix things.
I guess this is hard to watch for followers like me that went to OSU in the 80's.
To be fair he did go on to say how it will eat at him, but he has to focus on the solution and not the negative.

Mar 17, 2006
Edmond, Ok
I don’t really think that’s it. He’s a competitor. I don’t doubt that’s he’s way more miserable than we are. I’m sure he pours his soul into this.

BUT, I think he thinks this is just “part of the process,” which to me is the most over used term in sports. Yes, Nick Saban says that, but his process is to to get the best players, kick everyone’s ass, then repeat. Also, his process is very high expectations and zero tolerance for lack of discipline.

After nine seasons I don’t really know what Josh’s process is. Sometimes we finish strong—and there’s been some really good teams that have, but sometimes we don’t.

Herecomesbullets

Territorial Marshal
Nov 14, 2010
I don’t really think that’s it. He’s a competitor. I don’t doubt that’s he’s way more miserable than we are. I’m sure he pours his soul into this.

BUT, I think he thinks this is just “part of the process,” which to me is the most over used term in sports. Yes, Nick Saban says that, but his process is to to get the best players, kick everyone’s ass, then repeat. Also, his process is very high expectations and zero tolerance for lack of discipline.

After nine seasons I don’t really know what Josh’s process is. Sometimes we finish strong—and there’s been some really good teams that have, but sometimes we don’t.
I couldn't disagree more about your comment about process, especially in baseball.

I also totally disagree that losing to OU will be viewed as part of the process for Josh.

We have dominated them under Josh.

Beating them is personal to him so losing to them is in no way a part of his process.

Josh's process is to recruit big physical toolsy kids that have big time upside, then play a million different lineups to find the best combination on the talent he's assembled, then stabilize the lineup down the stretch and get hot.

It is a formula/process that has worked.

We've had more success under Josh than people give him credit for.

Mar 17, 2006
Edmond, Ok
I couldn't disagree more about your comment about process, especially in baseball.

I also totally disagree that losing to OU will be viewed as part of the process for Josh.

We have dominated them under Josh.

Beating them is personal to him so losing to them is in no way a part of his process.

Josh's process is to recruit big physical toolsy kids that have big time upside, then play a million different lineups to find the best combination on the talent he's assembled, then stabilize the lineup down the stretch and get hot.

It is a formula/process that has worked.

We've had more success under Josh than people give him credit for.
I see him thinking it's part of the process as in I don't think he'll make any changes to how he runs his team, despite some extreme struggles over an extended period of time.

Like I said, I don't think he's okay with losing, but I haven't seen any evidence that he's going to change "his process." I made a joke the other day, but he often says "that's baseball" when his team loses a close game and doesn't execute on the mound or at the plate. And maybe that's just him talking to Rex Holt after the game, but he gives the impression that he's not too worried about (whatever) loss or big mistake his team makes because they'll eventually turn things around. He gave that impression today, and last week, and the week before. Paraphrased after any tough loss "I'm not happy with this, but we'll be okay."

Yes, baseball has a way of evening out. But the great coaches (see Tim Tadlock) and great teams don't have the yearly lows that OSU baseball has. Texas Tech has been to four CWS in seven years, and we've been to 1 in Josh's 9. What's the difference between the two programs? To me it comes down to discipline, the best teams have it year in and year out, and based on the way OSU plays, it's not something that is emphasized in Cowboy baseball.

Josh IS a good coach. He HAS done an overall good job--but he's a step below Tadlock and Schlossnagel and others in results, and to me its because he hasn't shown a willingness to do much different than what he's always done.

You think he's going to be so upset with this loss to OU that he's going to think "man, I need to find some new answers because this just isn't working?" I don't.

Herecomesbullets

Territorial Marshal
Nov 14, 2010
I see him thinking it's part of the process as in I don't think he'll make any changes to how he runs his team, despite some extreme struggles over an extended period of time.

Like I said, I don't think he's okay with losing, but I haven't seen any evidence that he's going to change "his process." I made a joke the other day, but he often says "that's baseball" when his team loses a close game and doesn't execute on the mound or at the plate. And maybe that's just him talking to Rex Holt after the game, but he gives the impression that he's not too worried about (whatever) loss or big mistake his team makes because they'll eventually turn things around. He gave that impression today, and last week, and the week before. Paraphrased after any tough loss "I'm not happy with this, but we'll be okay."

Yes, baseball has a way of evening out. But the great coaches (see Tim Tadlock) and great teams don't have the yearly lows that OSU baseball has. Texas Tech has been to four CWS in seven years, and we've been to 1 in Josh's 9. What's the difference between the two programs? To me it comes down to discipline, the best teams have it year in and year out, and based on the way OSU plays, it's not something that is emphasized in Cowboy baseball.

Josh IS a good coach. He HAS done an overall good job--but he's a step below Tadlock and Schlossnagel and others in results, and to me its because he hasn't shown a willingness to do much different than what he's always done.

You think he's going to be so upset with this loss to OU that he's going to think "man, I need to find some new answers because this just isn't working?" I don't.
Josh has done a great job not a good job.

He has every right to want to defend the way he does things because it has been very, very successful.

The last season that was played we took the lead in the 8th inning to go to Omaha.

2 weeks ago we were in the discussion to host.

We have dominated OU under Holiday.

Under Holiday
  • 7 NCAA Regional Appearances
  • 3 Super Regional berths
  • 2016 College World Series
  • 3-time Big 12 Conference champions – 2014, 2017, 2019
  • Finished in top two of Big 12 standings in five of seven seasons
  • Two top-10 finishes in final national polls
  • Coached 62 All-Big 12 Conference performers, 7 All-Americans, 2 Big 12 Pitcher of the Year honorees, 1 Big 12 Player of the Year and 1 Big 12 Newcomer of the Year
  • 46 Major League Baseball Draft picks, with 14 of those selected in the top 10 rounds

So .. Yes... There are parts of this program that could change things probably for the better, but nothing about this last couple of weeks is part of Josh Holidays process.

If we win the Big 12 Tournament this year that would mean we've won the Big 12 Title in 1/2 of Holidays seasons at OSU.

That's on top of finishing 1st or 2nd in 5 of the 7previous years.

That would be the equivalent to making the Big 12 Title game in 5 of the last 7 years, but then people complaining about a bad patch in a season that isn't over yet.

His process has led to all of that success above, which is a bunch.

Last edited:
Apr 14, 2009
As in all sports. Success is about the players executing plays.
Tho coaches do play a large role . This particular cowboy team has some really good players and some that are just barely average. There’s an old expression about you can’t make a silk purse out of a pigs ear. Looks to me like Josh needs better players.
I will say though in the 80s O-State baseball had a big chip on its shoulder. It was the old us against the world thing. Starting with the coaches! Now that approach in leadership rubbed a lot of folks the wrong way. But it did bring much success. The coaches did demand discipline at the plate. Bad at bats we’re not the norm they were RARE!! It has become just the opposite Right now. I don’t think a head coaching change is needed. Maybe a new old school hitting instructor.
But The coaches and players need to find some discipline. In all parts of the game.
Pitch by pitch baseball like the Cowboys used to play is sorely lacking.

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2007
Tho coaches do play a large role . This particular cowboy team has some really good players and some that are just barely average. There’s an old expression about you can’t make a silk purse out of a pigs ear. Looks to me like Josh needs better players.
I will say though in the 80s O-State baseball had a big chip on its shoulder. It was the old us against the world thing. Starting with the coaches! Now that approach in leadership rubbed a lot of folks the wrong way. But it did bring much success. The coaches did demand discipline at the plate. Bad at bats we’re not the norm they were RARE!! It has become just the opposite Right now. I don’t think a head coaching change is needed. Maybe a new old school hitting instructor.
But The coaches and players need to find some discipline. In all parts of the game.
And execution of plays by players is all about coaching

PokeJ

Territorial Marshal
Oct 27, 2003
McKinney, TX
Visit site
And execution of plays by players is all about coaching

Dang you Mike Gundy!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro